As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homework help (Calc 2 - Nasty integral)

milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm a few weeks into Calc 2, and am doing some application problems. In any case I'm having a really hard time getting this integral as my calculator (and the back of the book) say it should come out...I've tried the few apparent u substitutions but am having no luck. Note that this isn't a required problem, it's just one I can't get and it's frustrating me.

I've got:

The integral from 1 to 8 of

sqrt((1+((4/9)x^(-2/3)) dx

The solution is stated as (1/27)(80(sqrt(10)-(13(sqrt)(13))

Any help or tips would be appreciated, I started with a U substitution of U=1+((4/9)x^(-2/3), but this leaves me up a creek later when I can't get everything in terms of U (namely dx) I've already put too much time into this, but I really want to know how to solve it, thanks in advance 8-)

milehigh on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't solve the problem. But I think I figured it out.

Since this is a homework problem, I'll be as vague as possible.

Anyways, try simplifying.

edit:

Okay, solved it. Yeah, you have to simplify.

Another hint, a lot of nasty integrals can be made to be quite easy.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really want to solve this integral just to have the ability to do it.

With that said I did manage to solve the problem by going back to the original equation and putting everything in terms of y rather than x, it made the resulting integral much easier. I do think I'll put some effort into solving it as shown however just for the practice though, any specific tips for problems of this type other than just simplifying?

milehigh on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Recall your square root properties:

Sqrt(x/y) = sqrt(x)/sqrt(y)

sqrt(xy) = sqrt(x)sqrt(y)

also recall your exponential properties (which kinda overlaps with the sqrt properties, but I'm no math major).

(a^x)^y = a^xy

now, also recall that

a+ a/b = (ab +a)/b

Now try simplifying the original problem before you integrate. Eventually you'll get something that you can u-sub.

Casually Hardcore on