As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iTunes broke (then solved itself)

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not sure of any other way to put it.

I haven't used my computer much for the past 3 weeks or so, but before that iTunes worked perfectly fine. Then when I started it up today everything went back to default settins in the program. I tried to put all my music back in and it took two attempts to actually get it in (not to mention music I can't even find now that is in my music folder but won't show up in iTunes). When I close down and restart iTunes, it goes back to default settins as if I'd just installed it.

Any suggestions on how to fix it or is the simplest thing to do simply uninstall and reinstall?

KurnDerak on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone may be able to explain this better because I haven't had to do it in a couple years... but...

Your iTunes has a config file that basically remembers your library and links to your album artwork and all that. There is a way to reinstall iTunes and preserve that file so that you can go on using it happily (also works for moving to a new computer, since iTunes is stupid in that regard).

I suppose knowing whether you use PC or Mac would be helpful, as you have a lot more options with a Mac.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well then, this seems to have solved itself. I uninstalled (which when I restarted windows had to do some sort of consistency check on my f drive, which is where it was installed) and then I reinstalled.

I booted up the fresh install and there were all of my playlists and songs again. And, as it turns out, the reason I couldn't find some songs is because all my music are located in at least 3 different locations on my comp.

KurnDerak on
This discussion has been closed.