Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[4E, Legends of Novus OOC] GM Post up, read OOC for details on skill challenge!

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Critical Failures
Spoiler:
The dragons are dead, to begin with. Killed by betrayal, demons and man, the dragons are dead and with them gone, magic is fading from the land. Meanwhile, humanity shoulders on in the continuing quest of further enlightenment, knowledge and power. The elves hole up in the cities, worthless to other races as their only desire is the fulfillment of lust and hedonistic desires. The dwarves plot bloody revenge and conduct terrifying resistance against those who have wronged them. The age of adventures is thought to be over, with the progress of man's kingdoms into the wild world. Civility is coming to the wild. Or so they say. Real watchers of the world know it is not as it may seem. The forces of darkness and evil, the undead and damned, they are gathering their power to break the chains... This is the world of Novus, where man is civilization, knowledge is power, the undead rise and airships soar.

Legends of Novus
Currently Playing

Part I: Genesis
Prologue

Grab the Campaign Starter Guide Here!

This is a D&D 4E campaign designed around the idea that magic is fading from the world, Novus, and mankind is slowly modernizing the main continent, Tamara. A game of guns, steampunk city-states, wild barbaric elves and suicidal dwarves. Follow us as the players explore the lands, delving into the sandbox open-ended campaign with their own goals and plans. This is a world where anything can happen!

The Characters:

Spoiler:
InterrobangShreya Darchala, Eladrin Artificer
An inventor from the Imperial Cult with stolen knowledge and shattered faith.
Spoiler:
Rainfall Miss, Revenant Assassin
A deadly assassin from beyond the grave, seeking revenge on her killers.
Spoiler:
ElfwordThoth, Human Warden
A human warrior trying to save a loved one.
Spoiler:
SimpsonParadoxKavaki Yuthr, Goliath Barbarian
A Barbarian seeking knowledge and slaver's blood.
Spoiler:
Weretac0 - Karamir Rassaim, Genasi Invoker
A worshiper from a desert land.
Spoiler:
PowerpuppiesGarret Andershard, Halfling Bard/Cleric
A former priest-of-the-Faith-in-training that now seeks glory.
Spoiler:
DelmainAaron Mitchell, Human Wizard
A failed Vaspuccian engineer discovering his hidden powers and seeking the truth.

Reserves
Spoiler:

The World:

mainmapofthefantasy.th.png
The Story Thus Far:

The Private Venturing Company known as Wildlands Security has been contracted by the General of the First Legion, Thaco Garrus, to discover what happened to a special team of soldiers inserted into an island known as Sandstooth to destroy a terrorist training camp. The characters have arrived on Whitesands Port, the main town of For Talos island near Sandstooth in the Jumari Isles. They now try to contact Adrius Orrin, an Eye of Emperor and propietor of the local alehouse known as the Drinking Wharf. Will they find the team of Imperium soldiers? Can they discover what happened there? What dangers lurk on the mysterious island of Sandstooth? How could untrained separatists be so deadly? Will the Barbarian Kavaki ever find true love? Tune in next time and find out on... Legends of Novus!

Current SideQuests:

SideQuest: The Important Person
Reward: 200 XP
Type: Character Development

The goal of this achievement is to develop an important person in your character's life. This person can be a mother, father, a mentor, a good friend, a friendly tavernkeep. It must be someone that contribute meaningfully to the development of your character. To gain all the XP points that come with this, name the person and describe them. Give them a physical description, describe where they came from and why. What is their purpose in life? Why did they contribute to your character's life? Are they still alive? Are your character and the person still in contact? How would your character react if they saw them now?

SideQuest: The Organization
Reward: 200 XP
Type: World-building

The goal of this achievement is to develop an organization based in Greater Tamara (the main continent). It could be a guild, a society for the wealthy, a monastic order or a brotherhood of knights. Explain what the groups' alignment is and where they come from. What is their history? Why were they formed? What do they do now? How do you join the group? Who would join the group? What benefits are there to joining? What is their purpose? How do they interact with others, friendly or hostile to their purpose? Where do they fit into the world?

Talonrazor on
GM of Aftermath: Life After the End of the Future - Post-apocalyptic space opera of Novo Aether.
GM of Pearl City - A group of superheroes form The Beacons.
Player of Arifyn Tok in Kingmakers [D&D 4E]
Player of Kane Fainklyn the Hallow Preest in Crumbling Citadels [D&D 4E]
Player of Torin Magnus in Blackwood [Monsterhearts]
Player of Torin Magnusson in And Justice for All (M&M 3E)

• samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I have a dwarf Cleric you might like. Question is: What gods do you have? Are they in the Campaign Guide?

Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The cosmology, factions, race backgrounds and basic history of the world can be found in the campaign guide, yea.

GM of Aftermath: Life After the End of the Future - Post-apocalyptic space opera of Novo Aether.
    edited September 2009
    Jabez of Sorrow, Dwarf Cleric of the Raven Queen

Background Story:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

The Winter Killer:
    Spoiler:

Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know I'm in.. starting reading your stuff last night already.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited September 2009
    Just to let you know, the Raven Queen is going to be a bit different here. She isn't the goth queen of death and fate that all the cool kids want to have sex with but rather she is more like Charon, the guide through purgatory. In this game she basically runs the land where souls await their final destination and guides a river of boats up and down a Styx-like river to the heavens or the hells. Most outside the Duchy call her the Stranger and she is considered an enigma.

• 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm totally interested. Gritty, dark, nasty games are the best.

Question, though: you want level 6 characters, but I do not have a DDI subscription, and Character Builder is only free up to level 3. Would you accept a Mythweavers or Orokos sheet?

C2hmw6F.png
    edited September 2009
    Yes! I forgot, any sheet that details basic stats is fine. I will put that up in the OP.

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will be submitting a Vestige Pact Half-Elf Warlock whenever I get the time to write up a full background and personality.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As per your request.

I'm leaning towards a Genasi Invoker.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited September 2009
    Few things I forgot to note. Tomorrow, for DDI subscribers, Assassin heroic tier comes out. If someone want to roll up this class and try it out, with the provision of playing something else if they don't like it, they can.

For people planning on playing arcane users: These characters are going to require some special playing. In most of the civilized kingdoms, being Nuemar, Pascony, Arastille, Mynoth and so on, use of magic will draw considerable attention. Most likely the character will be arrested and branded a heretic or even hunted down by powerful government forces. Think of playing an arcane user as kinda like a Jedi in the age of the Empire or something. I am not discouraging arcane users, you guys will probably want one or two for sure, but I am pointing out that I am going to be looking for people to play that aren't afraid of a bit of roleplaying.

Several people have asked me where the game will be starting. The first adventure will see you guys travel to a small island of the Jumari chain in the employ the Imperium. A general has hired the company to see what happened to a team of soldiers the Imperium dispatched on a black ops mission to destroy a terrorist camp. You guys are to infiltrate the island, rescue the knight that led the team, hide all evidence of Imperium intrusion and then call in a gryphon airstrike from an aviary carrack stationed over the horizon.

Also, someone should play an Artificer because they are awesome. Just sayin'.

• ElfWordElfWord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking at submitting a Human Warden, Thoth, a 37 year old experienced outdoorsman.

Born and raised in Kursk, his mother died giving birth to him; a woman well-loved by his village, her death was more than a tragedy, and regard by many as a bad omen for her son. He spent much of his time in youth exploring the mountains around his village, Cyresk. As a young man he joined the army, where his special talents helped him gain a position as bodyguard for Border Watch Legion Commanders. He protected them from orcish sneak attacks, hitmen hired by various Lords of Tothdain maneuvering for power, and vengeful pirates from the Northern Knife.

For 9 years he served, until he received word his father was ill. Returning home, he endured his father's death, made bearable only by the love he found for and was returned by Marissa, his father's nurse. Not feeling comfortable in Cyresk, they moved to a small town further in the south, Hearthesk. For 7 years, he lived in peace with his wife, and then a son, in Hearthesk... until the slavers came.

Posing as merchants, a half-orc and companions had stayed in town for a week, taking note of the prettiest women. Striking in the night, they badly wounded Thoth, leaving him unconscious and bleeding. He woke to find his son murdered, and his wife, like the wives and daughters of many others in the village, taken.

With nine others, Thoth tracked the slavers for months across the Dausmarks. Finally finding a well-fortified camp at the edge of the Wildwoods, Thoth's group waited until a caravan of slavers departed from their base, heading to civilized lands to sell their slaves. Stalking them until they camped for the first night, still so close to home they carelessly felt safe, the Hearthesk band attacked, fighting a brutal battle leaving all of the slavers dead, and only 4 of the Hearthesk band alive, including Thoth.

Thoth's wife, Marissa, was alive, but... damaged. Her mind was broken, switching between periods of frantic panic and unresponsive quietude. They freed all of the slaves, and travelled to Dugar to seek refuge from the dwarves in the city of Tug. While his companions prepared for a journey home, Thoth bade them farewell, and took Marissa on a journey to the Spiral Tower city in Cir, hoping someone there could heal her mind.

For a year and a half, Thoth has tried to help his wife to no avail. Finally, as costs of care, attempted cures, and accommodations mounted, Thoth gave all his remaining money to a trustworthy abbey for use in taking care of Marissa, promising to send more for its continuance. Leaving her in their able hands, he began life again as a wanderer and adventurer, wary of making strong ties with others, and seeking always the next fortune that might bring health back to a woman he still loved, though that life was far away.

Star Wars fan, Battlestar crewman, Fantastic GM. Frequent lurker, occasional adventurer.
    Awesome android RPGs are made by my friends; check them out.
    edited September 2009
    Does the Raven Queen still hate the undead and anyone who practices necromancy?

• SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Golaith Whip Warden, coming up.

edited September 2009

The undead, ghosts, necromancy etc are souls who have escape the river. They owe the Stranger their souls and she intends to collect. Of course, a soul is a soul, at least to her. Her followers, especially in Ravenshire, tend to war directly on the undead as the Ravenshire followers are zealously anti-necromancy and the undead. But Ravenshire's practices and teachings are not always directly from the Raven Queen. Religions can get distorted and twisted by those who need it. So, keep that in mind.

edited September 2009
    Talonrazor wrote: »

The undead, ghosts, necromancy etc are souls who have escape the river. They owe the Stranger their souls and she intends to collect. Of course, a soul is a soul, at least to her. Her followers, especially in Ravenshire, tend to war directly on the undead as the Ravenshire followers are zealously anti-necromancy and the undead. But Ravenshire's practices and teachings are not always directly from the Raven Queen. Religions can get distorted and twisted by those who need it. So, keep that in mind.

This is getting even better. I feel like this is based off Greek mythology, which isn't a bad thing.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That said, if you like stuff like goblin sky pirates
    Also, someone should play an Artificer because they are awesome. Just sayin'.

I would submit Remmy from Monster Party!, but he is still alive and well in that campaign.

Ill write up some stuff to make Xeric Carter, my other artificer, fit in to this campaign.

notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    edited September 2009

This is getting even better. I feel like this is based off Greek mythology, which isn't a bad thing.

The old gods are based off of dualistic beliefs and Greek and Norse Mythology, yes. Anigun are based off of Aztec and Mayans while the Faith is based off of, easily enough, Catholic Church. The gods are getting more distant in this setting, so a lot of these beliefs can get twisted one way or the other. One thing I am going to push is that while D&D 4E may say that "this is the concrete cosmology", this setting shows that sometimes things are different then people have been taught.

• SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dude. This sounds awesome. I like the gritty feel and the premise. Just one question.

How would the whole gun thing work? Basically like a Bow?

edited September 2009
    A quick question on the Kingdom of Miraz:

They don't allow non-believers into their main city, not their island, right? I'm planning on having my Golaith having moved onto the plains sometime early in his life, but he worships The Great Bear rather than Somtaaw. Would that be a problem?

edited September 2009
    Still developing firearm rules. Most likely, firearms will be rare and work somewhat like a crossbow. Goblin guns might blow up in your hands, a dwarven hand cannon packs a big punch but takes forever to load, Vaspuccian guns might be repeaters and accurate. I am looking over various house rules and we'll probably use something like DiceMonkey's rules. However, don't be surprised if I radically alter the rules in the middle of playing. Depending on what you guys think of them and how they handle we'll be tweaking them around.

Also, as a side note for you guys, magic items will be a lot rarer then normal. We might even switch to DMG2's rules on low-magic games (bonus to attack, defense). Just a forewarning. I do plan to have some magic items but a good chunk will be repurposed (the clockwork armor and other refluffs).

SP: Yea, Miraz is kinda like the North Korea of the world. If your character isn't an ardent follower of Somtaaw, he probably won't come from the island unless he was a slave or somesuch. Most likely, that character would hail from places like Volk, on the D'yini plains (way in the north, in Tothdain valley) or somewhere else closer to the wild. And as another note, Elfword's gonna be playing in the game for sure (old gaming buddy of mine) with a Warden, so you might want to consider some other kind of primal character. Two defenders will work, they just might want to focus on different class roles and powers...

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having read about the warforged and humans, I have a question Talon.

Would it be possible to have a relationship between a couple of PCs like Ed and Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist? nothing to do with alchemy or even close to the story of the anime, just a couple of PCs with a past that turned one of them into a warforged.

If talon green lights the idea, I'd be happy to work on a dual background with someone through PM's.

notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah this looks real good. I'm thinking of drawing up a dwarf character (my first). He'll most likely be carrying a boomstick. Regardless of the rules.

edited September 2009
    SP: Yea, Miraz is kinda like the North Korea of the world. If your character isn't an ardent follower of Somtaaw, he probably won't come from the island unless he was a slave or somesuch. Most likely, that character would hail from places like Volk, on the D'yini plains (way in the north, in Tothdain valley) or somewhere else closer to the wild. And as another note, Elfword's gonna be playing in the game for sure (old gaming buddy of mine) with a Warden, so you might want to consider some other kind of primal character. Two defenders will work, they just might want to focus on different class roles and powers...

Hmmm, alright. I'll go with a Barbarian then. Not too much change from how I was going to play him, I'll just have him worship a different animal spirit. Thanks for the info!

• ElfWordElfWord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll try to get my Warden statted out late tonight or early tomorrow. He's most likely going to be more of a controller than a striker, as secondary roles go, and more of a wisdom-of-the-mountains character than a dedicated combatant. The combat powers he chooses will be cold-related when available.

Star Wars fan, Battlestar crewman, Fantastic GM. Frequent lurker, occasional adventurer.
    Awesome android RPGs are made by my friends; check them out.
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like this might be fun. Will definitely think of contributing a character to this after reading the campaign guide.

• AzegorothAzegoroth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Will post a Dragonborn paladin after I have enough time to do a full writeup.

edited September 2009
    Having read about the warforged and humans, I have a question Talon.

Would it be possible to have a relationship between a couple of PCs like Ed and Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist? nothing to do with alchemy or even close to the story of the anime, just a couple of PCs with a past that turned one of them into a warforged.

If talon green lights the idea, I'd be happy to work on a dual background with someone through PM's.

Nah, Warforged are basically clockwork constructs with full AI. The "organs" thing is merely used to describe how they think and their ability to get diseases, etc.

Also, as a reminder, I only consider a character offically "app'd" when they have stats, a history and description and a response to the scenario. When recruitment is over I'll go through and select characters that are the best fits, well-written and interesting. A couple of slots are already taken (tac0, Elfword, a playtest of a character class) so there are only really three or four slots open. However, reserves are more then welcome if someone has to drop out of the campaign for some reason.

• RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Right, unless I can get this mechanics quandary solved I'll probably be waiting until tomorrow for the Assassin, but for now I'm writing up a Revenant ex-Changeling who wants to take down the Fraternity due to half-scattered memories of betrayal by them.

It should be neat. I just need to, y'know, find mechanics that fit. :D

edited September 2009
    A quick question: Without magical items, do we still pick a level 5/6/7 + gold item and just reflavor them?

edited September 2009
    For now, go ahead and take those items and reflavor one or two, yea. I am still debating in my mind if I want to do a low-magic item game with DMG2 or not. We may end up changing that depending on what everyone feels like later on but let's proceed as normal.

• JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Harod Swanbane, the Crow of Swadia

mfr232.jpg

Description

A scar for each of his lovers and for each of his lost fortunes, Harod's skin is a rugged map of his many experiences. Except for his short cropped hair, Harod does his best to follow the land's fashions while always keeping his weapons close at hand. He is of impressive stature and his body is a solidly built weapon, lithe and powerful.

His sword hand is oft quicker than his common sense and Harod is easily goaded and frustrated. At the same time, he is immensely loyal to those he considers friends and tries to avoid endangering them. Opulent, but without respect for the preening nobility, Harod lives quickly and dangerously, looking for the thrill of the moment.

Background

Though he spits at the name, Harod was born into a noble family in Swadia whose lineage boasted many famed Knights of the Order of the Swan. Born alongside a twin sister, Ledia, Harod was the second son of his family and struggled in his older brother's shadow during their childhood. Following his brother's path through early education and training for the knighthood, Harod seemed doomed to continuously fall short of the standard set by his brother.

In his teens, after a few ill-fated affairs, Harod was forced into a marriage after one of his romances with the daughter of another noble family bore a child. Suddenly a family man, Harod's luck worsened as he was recommended for one of the lesser knightly orders of Swadia by his instructors. Before he was to be moved with his family out of the comfortable family home to some far off place to be sworn into the knighthood, Harod left Swadia.

Leaving the dowry behind so his family wouldn't go poor, Harod left with little more than his horse, his weapons and the clothes on his back. Seeking adventure in the rest of Novus, he has been travelling ever since.

Attachments

Although Harod never wanted to marry, he still checks in on his son and wife through his twin sister Ledia every few years. Him and Ledia are also very close but she is the only person he considers to be his family. News of his brother's role in the raising of his son is disturbing but Harod claims no role in the boy's life, knowing that he made his choice long ago.

Response
    Spoiler:

Drawing his short sword, Harod paces through the snow in front of the cowering peasant, the white stuff crunching under his feet. He says to the man, "I have no love for the nobility myself but do you really believe a son for a house is a fair trade?" The rogue sighs and stops his pacing, tapping his foot in the snow.

After a few moments deliberation he turns back to the peasant, gesturing with his sword as he talks, "I will not kill a man in cold blood. However, you have done a heinous thing and for that you should pay. So here is my deal," he draws a dagger from its sheathe at his side and tosses it point first into the snow. "If you truly want to die then you will take up this dagger and I will spill your blood honorably. I have a feeling that you know a thing or two about combat judging by those two guards you killed. The other option is of course, that I take you back to the city for whatever punishment is deemed just. It is up to you, friend."

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Kavaki Yuthr, Goliath Barbarian

Backround
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Char stuff
    Spoiler:

Response
    Spoiler:

-edit- Thanks, Rainfall, for giving my character a dressing down; I've added another line to the backround. He also has a last name now. Not my fault if it sucks.

edited September 2009
    Fucking ace background Simpson, that's the kind of shit I am looking for. :^:

Just a reminder, please give two of three sentences of what your various characters would do in scenario outlined in the OP!

edited September 2009
    Dude, I can't make a barbarian now. I just can't compete with that shit. Holy god man.

C2hmw6F.png
  • KilmKilm Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Comighan Half-Elf Sorcerer.

Background
    Spoiler:

Response

Spoiler:

Walking slowly towards the peasant, Comighan crouches next to him, "And kill him you should have." He leans closer and places a friendly hand on his back. "I would have done the same, you see. But the baron will give much to see you dead, and a chapel in a town such as his is worth a sacrifice." Comighan pauses for a second, looking around to make sure no one else is out on such a vile night "May the flames cleanse you."

A burst of fire erupts from the peasants chest.

Standing, the flames slowly fading from his hand, he begins the work of bringing back proof of the peasants death.

I've just about got a char sheet worked out. I hope I can use a magic user, I guess my idea being that after becoming a convert to The Red God Comighan has learned to control his temper and channel as well as hide his power. He goes into the world seeking to "Lay kindling" basically a sort of missionary.

edited September 2009
    Ok, due to popular request on #criticalfailures, here is the Imperial Cult! Scientists and engineers of the Imperium, they are also fanatically religious!
    Spoiler:

edited September 2009
    For your consideration: Kamahl Braidenson, Human Ranger

Background
    Spoiler:
    Mannerisms
    Spoiler:
    Appearance
    Spoiler:
    Response
    Spoiler:

C2hmw6F.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms:
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet:
    Spoiler:

Response:
    Spoiler:

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nimor Actiniar, Genasi Swordmage:

Background:
    Spoiler:
    Mannerisms:
    Spoiler:
    Appearance:
    Spoiler:
    Response:
    Spoiler:
    Stats:
    Spoiler:
    Fingers crossed that I make it!

edited September 2009
    Not to tell you how to play your character, but why did you take Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) and then get a Broadsword as your weapon?

C2hmw6F.png