As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox 360 resolution

John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got an older xbox without the HDMI output and just got a new HD TV. I switched the connector on the back to "HDTV" and the resolution went from 480i to 480P. Is 480P really the best the older xbox can do?

I know it's not super expensive, but I'd rather not have to shell out $200 for a new HDMI-ready xbox.

The extra years warranty that I bought kicks in early in the new year and they'll give me store credit if my xbox dies. Any, um, suggestions as to forcing a RROD? I'm really not wanting to do that though.

John Matrix on

• The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got an older xbox without the HDMI output and just got a new HD TV. I switched the connector on the back to "HDTV" and the resolution went from 480i to 480P. Is 480P really the best the older xbox can do?

I know it's not super expensive, but I'd rather not have to shell out $200 for a new HDMI-ready xbox.

What's your television set to? In my understanding, the HDMI for the 360 will output as close to the 720 as the television will allow.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I would think the highest possible. My DVD player with an HDMI output plays at 1080i.

John Matrix on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stupid question, but did you check in the Xbox 360 settings to set the default resolution? I think I had to do that. I got a 360 a week before I got my HDTV, so I was playing on an SD set.

SteevL on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Stupid question, but did you check in the Xbox 360 settings to set the default resolution? I think I had to do that. I got a 360 a week before I got my HDTV, so I was playing on an SD set.

There's this as well. If I recall, the television will play in 480p if you still have the "SD" mode up on the 360.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I really only messed with it for a few minutes last night. I'll check the settings tonight. I know it might not make a big difference, but when I switch to the xbox I select the input for "satellite" and not "game." I'll fix that tonight as well.

It just kinda bummed me that I'd have to play in 480P on a 57" tv.

John Matrix on
  • Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the xbox in analog hdtv modes by defalt is the lowest rez. if you go into the options you will be able to change it up and change your refrence lvls too.

basicly hdmi tvs detect a hdmi connection and normal set it automatily to the higest possable. but with a componet by defalt its the lowest and you have to change it up. coz if by defalt it was 1080p and your tv could only do 720p you'd have to change the options without being able to see them.

the xbox will be able to do 1080p this was put on in an update last year. but best to pick the native res of your tv

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
    edited September 2009
    So you're saying that I can get 1080P without an HDMI cable? That doesn't sound correct.

John Matrix on
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    no it is correct. If your TV can do 1080P the xbox 360 can display it. If you go to settings you can change the res from 480P to the maximum that your set can do. Generally 720P or 1080P

Durandal Infinity on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So you're saying that I can get 1080P without an HDMI cable? That doesn't sound correct.

Component cable connections can display 1080P.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Daenris on
    edited September 2009
    That's awesome! Will update tomorrow on progress.

John Matrix on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Guys, he does not have HDMI on his 360, some of you missed that. Either way, yes, component will do HD, but you'll need to set it in the options. If your HDTV has a VGA input, I recommend using that with the official cables. I find the picture sharper than component, and you can upscale DVDs to 1080P, which component won't do.

You don't need a new 360.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so I'm up to 1080i, but 1080P won't work. I get the black screen and then it reverts back to the options menu.

I've had an Elite hooked up to this TV and it went to 1080P.

What's the issue here?

John Matrix on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What model TV do you have?

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited September 2009
    Mitsubishi 57831 57" DLP

John Matrix on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    According to this site your TV only accepts up to 1080i over component.

If you pick up some the Xbox VGA cable your should be able to display 1080p. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do it over component.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited September 2009
    Ahh, I figured as much. I suppose $40 for a VGA cable is better than a new xbox.

Thanks much, sir!

John Matrix on
  • ink4n3ink4n3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If by $40 you mean $7 then yes.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

edit: Damn, it's back-ordered. I think it's worth it to wait it out.

ink4n3 on
    edited September 2009
    yeah plus no xbox games do over 720p (really). So whether your TV or the Xbox scales the picture, its gonna look remarkably the same.

VGA cables will help in the long run but dont sweat it if it takes a while.

Durandal Infinity on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ink4n3 wrote: »
    If by $40 you mean $7 then yes.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

edit: Damn, it's back-ordered. I think it's worth it to wait it out.

Ebay has a ton brand new Buy-it-Now for the same price. Presumably because they bought them off monoprice ;P

urahonky on
    edited September 2009
    I'm not an ebay-er, but my Dad is, I'll let him know to grab me one.

Thanks, chaps.

For now I'll enjoy monkey island and Bas Boot in 1080i. Not sure that the resolution will improve with the new cable, but I can't complain every time I hear "alarm!"

You're the best, hope to see you guys at PAX East!

John Matrix on
    edited September 2009
    you'd notice a more solid image from 1080p over i, less tearing and such.

Durandal Infinity on
    edited September 2009
    Rockin'. I assume it won't make much difference to my netlifx/xbl viewing experience, but I'l still be shooting for 1080P. With the cash I save on not buying a new xbox a bluray bay be in order, any suggestions?

John Matrix on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remember that unless the game actually lists on the box that it displays in 1080p, it doesn't matter what the 360 will output, the game will only display at its listed resolution.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remember that unless the game actually lists on the box that it displays in 1080p, it doesn't matter what the 360 will output, the game will only display at its listed resolution.

..which is often a lie, anyway. Games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 only really output in 620p (or something like that, I don't remember the actual number). 720p won't hurt you while you wait for that cable since most games don't actually support 1080p

MrDelish on
    edited September 2009
    Rockin'. I assume it won't make much difference to my netlifx/xbl viewing experience, but I'l still be shooting for 1080P. With the cash I save on not buying a new xbox a bluray bay be in order, any suggestions?

playstation 3. I SHIT YOU NOT best bluray player ever.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

second'd.

with the way that BDlive keeps updating, and blu-ray players either need constant firmware refreshes or get left in the dust in terms of features on new disks the PS3 has excellent decoding hardware, upscales dvds like nobodies business, plays many many movie and sound file types off your flash drive, and acts as a media server if you've got a decent network going on in your home.

all for 299?

oh and did I mention the exandable HDD?

oh and did I mention... it's a PS3! play all the cool games!

I really like the new adds for the ps3.. "it only does.. everything"

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I highly recommend the official Microsoft VGA cable. I know they are more expensive, but I got the official ones, while a friend got some cheap generic ones, and his looked like shit on screen compared to mine. On the same TV, with the same Xbox, the official ones were crisp and the colors were bright. His cable looked washed out and dull, and wasn't as sharp.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

second'd.

PS3rded, it's fucking awesome, plus your Internet Cock gets bigger for owning both a 360 and PS3.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2009
    I guess my e-peen is huge I have the holy trinity. Though my wii is getting all fucked up and artifacty in metroid prime 3

Durandal Infinity on
    edited October 2009
    Update for those following along.

I got a VGA cable from my dad, who was selling his. I get everything hooked up and then discover that my tv only has a DVI connector, not VGA.

I'm looking on monoprice right now for a VGA to DVI cable, anyone point me in the right direction on that website? I'm assuming that I'll need a female VGA end and a male DVI end.

Sorry if this is nonsense/rambling, I'm hungover like a mother.

John Matrix on
  • SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You get adaptors that go from VGA to DVI which you could use with the xbox cable you have already, but i'm not convinced it'll work with your TV.

Chances are the DVI-In on your TV will be expecting a purely digital signal, which you won't get out of one of the adaptors.

Spam on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah plus no xbox games do over 720p (really). So whether your TV or the Xbox scales the picture, its gonna look remarkably the same.

VGA cables will help in the long run but dont sweat it if it takes a while.

It will however upscale DVD's through VGA.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg