As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outdated Rock Band thread, let it die!

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Endaro wrote: »
    I couldn't dig it up but I recall somewhere in the last thread we were talking about how, though the DLC sales are absolutely fucking for DLC, they didn't actually bring in that much money compared to how much RB made through discs or whatever. *shrug*

It wouldn't really matter if there were just doing it more $$, I'm a sucker for this shit, and am just glad they only are charging 2$ instead of 3 for DLC because I probably would have fallen for it.

Edit: Back in January 2008 they had sold 1 million copies of the disc, and 2.5 million dlc. That means on average, every person that bought Rock Band bought 2 and a half songs, which isn't a shining average. That would put the disc at bringing in 60mil hard revenue compared to 5 million for DLC, though who knows what the cost or profit margin is for either with licensing and all.

Edit 2: Wikipedia has, by the end of the year, RB1 selling 4million and RB2 selling 1.7million, with 30million downloads. Much better average by then, but at 2$ each, I still don't see the DLC contributing much to the estimated "600million" in revenue by October. At most 1/10?

You're looking at an article for RB1, the wiki article for the series puts total game sales at over $1billion and total dlc at 50million songs. The numbers still work out the same with dlc being 10%, still I don't think earning an extra 10% of your original $1billion can be considered as a poor performance - especially now that they're no longer working to recoup costs for engine development, etc.

Houndx on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's funny, I was just wondering about which instruments to get, and we've just had that conversation.

So, on 360 the Beatles instruments aren't wireless, but the RB2 instruments are? How is the battery life on the wireless instruments? Can I use my existing plug-and-play kit batteries?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The instruments take 3-AA batteries so I don't think so.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    templewulf wrote: »
    [...] So, on 360 the Beatles instruments aren't wireless, [...]

I don't know where you get your information, but this isn't correct. I just brought home the Gretsch and it is definitely wireless.

So much so my damned Xbox won't look for it...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My RB1 kit has lasted a little under 2 years so far. The whammy broke almost instantly, but my roommate fixed it up, and actually improved it. Apparently the way it was originally rigged up was basically instantly broken by someone not swinging it fully into position before use.

Also, I think I'm going to break down and get Beatles tonight.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He asked us

"BE YOU ANGELS?!"

And we said "Nay!

WE ARE BUT MEN! ROCK!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the pre-order offer for 3 free Beatles songs from Gamestop? I just got the e-mail for redeeming them and this is the list of songs you can choose from.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    Oh! Darling
    Because
    Her Majesty
    Fixing a Hole
    She's Leaving Home
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    When I'm Sixty-Four
    Lovely Rita
    Day in the Life

This isn't a bad song list, I'd probably choose Oh Darling!, a Day in the Life, and it's a toss up between Fixing a hole and When I'm sixty-four. She's leaving home would be good too but it's sad. Can you only get them once the DLC is available or can we get them early?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the pre-order offer for 3 free Beatles songs from Gamestop? I just got the e-mail for redeeming them and this is the list of songs you can choose from.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    Oh! Darling
    Because
    Her Majesty
    Fixing a Hole
    She's Leaving Home
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    When I'm Sixty-Four
    Lovely Rita
    Day in the Life

This isn't a bad song list, I'd probably choose Oh Darling!, a Day in the Life, and it's a toss up between Fixing a hole and When I'm sixty-four. She's leaving home would be good too but it's sad. Can you only get them once the DLC is available or can we get them early?

once it's available

Evander on
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you are buying the whole albums, I'm pretty sure the best way to save money is to use the three free songs for the same album and then buy the rest as singles. Especially if you want the supposed Abbey Road Medley, which is reported to only be available if you buy it as an album.

I haven't done the math, but if I had pre-ordered at GameStop, I would take three from Sgt. Pepper to get the most bang for my buck. Of course, if you aren't buying every bit of DLC that comes out, then you can ignore me.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't know where you get your information, but this isn't correct. I just brought home the Gretsch and it is definitely wireless.

my drum and bass from the LE box are both wireless.

mic isn't wireless, I guess, but the mic stand technically is.

Evander on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander wrote: »

The 'official' mic has never been wireless, though.

Anybody got any tricks to force the console to look for a new controller?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Did you try the sync button next to the memory card slots? There should also be one on the controller, I don't know where though.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Did you try the sync button next to the memory card slots? There should also be one on the controller, I don't know where though.

Yeah. The problem is, the 360 simply doesn't look for a controller. The lights on the console never spin. All previously synced controllers work as normal. The Gretsch powers up and spins when I press its button. The console just doesn't want to try looking.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I picked up a Gretsch on Wednesday and had no trouble with getting it to sync. The only time I've had problems similar to this was when I forgot I had four controller slots already taken and needed to turn a guitar off to sync a new one, but I doubt that's your problem. Sounds like a faulty contoller and you need to return to store or RMA.

Edit:

Sounds like a 360 problem. Never had that issue.

Boognish on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there any way to have 2 guitars play at once? I'd like to do a "real" Beatles setup with 4 people; 2 guitars, 1 bass and a drummer. It would also be neat to have the vocal track going for singing/harmonizing but I'm guessing they limit you to 4 player slots. In the same vein, is there a way to have a mic/guitar or drums hooked up to 1 gamertag so I can sing/play guitar at the same time?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Boognish wrote: »
    I picked up a Gretsch on Wednesday and had no trouble with getting it to sync. The only time I've had problems similar to this was when I forgot I had four controller slots already taken and needed to turn a guitar off to sync a new one, but I doubt that's your problem. Sounds like a faulty contoller and you need to return to store or RMA.

Edit:

Yeah. I'm sure it's a 360 thing... I'm definitely not thrilled at the prospect of sending in the 360 (and all the resulting bullshit that entails) just to fix a sync issue.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there any way to have 2 guitars play at once? I'd like to do a "real" Beatles setup with 4 people; 2 guitars, 1 bass and a drummer. It would also be neat to have the vocal track going for singing/harmonizing but I'm guessing they limit you to 4 player slots. In the same vein, is there a way to have a mic/guitar or drums hooked up to 1 gamertag so I can sing/play guitar at the same time?

The best you can do is 1 bassist, 1 drummer, 1 guitarist and 3 people singing.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Boognish wrote: »

Edit:

Yeah. I'm sure it's a 360 thing... I'm definitely not thrilled at the prospect of sending in the 360 (and all the resulting bullshit that entails) just to fix a sync issue.

I know it sounds stupid but did you try unplugging everything and taking the batteries out of the guitar? You never know, it just might work.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bought the B:RB because the wife is a fan. I however am one of those rare "eh" people about the Beatles. Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. However, we played this game for 4 hours the night we picked it up. That's rare for us. The dreamscape stuff is incredible. I was missing notes because I was more interested in what was happening in the dreamscape than I was in playing my instrument.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You've held the sync button down, too?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Have you tried taking the faceplate off and pushing the sync button? It could be the faceplate isn't making the contact to trigger the button.

Boognish on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. The problem is, the 360 simply doesn't look for a controller. The lights on the console never spin. All previously synced controllers work as normal. The Gretsch powers up and spins when I press its button. The console just doesn't want to try looking.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My console lights don't spin until it makes connection. It will just flash on and off when I hit the button. (I'm pretty sure about this, but I can't test to make sure until I get home.)

Does yours flash at all?

Boognish on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd try removing your faceplate and seeing if you can jam the sync button connector in. Maybe your faceplate is broken and not properly hitting the sync control. If it works, that's way less of a hassle than a 360 repair...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pressing the sync button on the faceplate should make the lights on the console spin. This signifies that it is searching for controller signals. It does not do this at all. Other than what activity it has upon booting, once the system is one, the only light that shows any activity is the power light.

If anybody has had a wireless controller turn a system on, but for some reason the 360 just goes into search mode requiring a re-sync, I'm looking for a way to force that to happen.

I've already sent an e-mail to MS about this, I'm just waiting for them to respond with a canned response telling me to call their 800 number.

I'd try removing your faceplate and seeing if you can jam the sync button connector in. Maybe your faceplate is broken and not properly hitting the sync control. If it works, that's way less of a hassle than a 360 repair...

Trust me. I'm way ahead of you guys. I did this and used a screwdriver. Nothing. When I press the sync button on the plate, I can feel the actual button 'click'. It's probably this that's broken because the harder I press, the more 'clicks' I hear... I just want to force the 360 to search for a new controller somehow that doesn't involve pressing the sync button.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stupid question, probably - have you tried holding down the sync button on the console for a few seconds? Sometimes mine needs that done before it starts searching.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stupid question, probably - have you tried holding down the sync button on the console for a few seconds? Sometimes mine needs that done before it starts searching.

Ten seconds should be enough, right? Did that. Nothing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Carrying a post over from the L4D thread. Made a L4D themed band named "Grabbin Peels!"
    Whatcha think?
    noname.jpg

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Next stupid question: have you tried holding down both sync buttons (that's the console sync and the controller sync, not the controller guide button) simultaneously? That's how I usually do it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Next stupid question: have you tried holding down both sync buttons (that's the console sync and the controller sync, not the controller guide button) simultaneously? That's how I usually do it.

Yep. I've been through the sync process before. The console is the one that isn't looking for a controller. Right now, I'm going with the suggestion to unplug everything, so I disconnected the power supply from the system, but I'm not really expecting it to work.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Carrying a post over from the L4D thread. Made a L4D themed band named "Grabbin Peels!"
    Whatcha think?
    noname.jpg

Nice. Bill is a bit too skinny but the rest look pretty sweet.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Bought the B:RB because the wife is a fan. I however am one of those rare "eh" people about the Beatles. Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. However, we played this game for 4 hours the night we picked it up. That's rare for us. The dreamscape stuff is incredible. I was missing notes because I was more interested in what was happening in the dreamscape than I was in playing my instrument.

I'm one of those people too, and probably quite a bit older than most of the people posting here (37). I mean, there were always a few songs that I really enjoyed - particularly Revolution. Just borrowed it today and I'm finding that I'm really enjoying it. Enough that I'll pick it up eventually even though I do not want more than one music game.

I'm also curious why people are complaining about the set list. I've never listened to a Beatles album and I recognize nearly all of these.

Houndx on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if the Wii *probably* won't let you buy the whole album, will the Abbey Road medley still be unlocked by buying everything individually? I was always under the impression that you would only get that if you bought the album in it's entirety.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He asked us

"BE YOU ANGELS?!"

And we said "Nay!

WE ARE BUT MEN! ROCK!"

I AM SO HAPPY FOR THIS

AND RE: YOUR BRAINS

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    He asked us

"BE YOU ANGELS?!"

And we said "Nay!

WE ARE BUT MEN! ROCK!"

I AM SO HAPPY FOR THIS

AND RE: YOUR BRAINS

The video for Tribute is another of the thousands of good reasons why Dave Grohl is so awesome.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the video for "Low" was really the high point of video collaboration between Jack Black and Dave Grohl. Too bad it saw little TV time for obvious reasons.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He's in the Tenacious D movie too!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't see this mentioned yet, so sorry if it's a repost.

BUT, Gamestop has the Rock Band stage kit marked down to $29.99.

It doesnt work with TB:RB but it does sync with every song in the rock band catalog.

plus, you know, FOG.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man that is a tempting price.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, and I went and traded in Rock Band 2.

It's cool, I got the SE with the credit and a few other games. Payed 30 bucks for wireless RB2 drums and guitar and a mic, plus the game.

The whole bundle is 100 bucks, whereas a wireless guitar by itself is 70 dollars. Where the Beatles guitars are 100 bucks each. THIS IS RETARDED.

SniperGuy on