Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Alan Turing Finally Gets His Apology

• StrangewaysStrangeways Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I'll be sure to tell him when I walk past his statue tomorrow.

Stuff like this always just seems like a tokenistic gesture to me. I know it's important to acknowledge past ills, but it doesn't change anything and when it's been this long after the fact, I do wonder what an apology even means when it comes from somebody who was only 3 when Turing died. Although in this case it might provide Stonewall with a platform to discuss current gay rights issues, which would be a good thing.

• WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I, uh, didn't really know anything about Turing save the whole "Turing test" thing. I kinda knew he was involved with code stuff, but really didn't know the extent.

I also had no idea about his sexuality, persecution, or death.

It's a good thing to know, albeit not a very happy one.

• MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad I'm alive now. I can't imagine being presented with such a grotesque choice.

I imagine that it would go for me much the way it did for him.

And as to the value of the apology, in this case I think it consists in both publicizing the unfortunate history and in vocalizing a commitment to a better society.

• ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Nothing wrong with tokens. Tokens are pretty important.

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    And as to the value of the apology, in this case I think it consists in both publicizing the unfortunate history and in vocalizing a commitment to a better society.
    Pretty much this. Nothing is going to fix what happened to Turing. The government, however, can make it clear that what happened was wrong and should never happen to anyone again.

PSN: allenquid
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Pretty spot on. It doesn't do a bit of good for Mr. Turing personally, of course... but, even judging by how many people in this thread have suddenly become aware of the grotesque and egregious policies of the past, it's resulting in awareness.

Awareness is a good first step toward making a better world.

edited September 2009
    Æthelred wrote: »

Oh for sure, I'm not saying it's pointless because it definitely isn't, I just always find it slightly sad that a man has to wait over fifty years for an apology about something as bogus as being prosecuted for being gay (especially when the man in question has been dead for the overwhelming majority of that time).

And whoever said his statue in Sackville Park is rad - it totally is, and is usually surrounded by girls taking pictures. Turing is a total pussy magnet.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EDIT: Whoops, whoops.

easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I approve of the lesser-known fact about Turing's prosecution and death being brought into wider circulation.

i think that's a good thing too actually

My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, but I have to agree with Elldren. It would have just been better coming from Blair at the height of his decade as PM rather than Brown not long before his getting ousted. Thatcher doing it would have been even better.

tea-1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Has Cameron apologized for it yet?

• cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm also glad that this is bringing Turing's persecution, as well as his accomplishments into the public eye, even briefly. Several people have posted already that they didn't know he did anything besides the Turing Test or Turing Machines.

I really believe that at some point in the future, Turing will be considered by historians as much an important and revolutionary figure as Gutenberg was. The man basically single-handedly laid the foundations for the interconnected 21st century world, and created an entirely new field of science in the process.

steam_sig.png
  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trying so hard not to make a Short Circuit joke here.

Didn't know this about Turing. Hell, didn't know that the UK did chemical castration.

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heh, all these years I kept thinking the Apple logo was a homage to Turing, but Wikipedia says it's not. Too bad, would've been cooler if it was true.

We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I approve of the lesser-known fact about Turing's prosecution and death being brought into wider circulation.

i think that's a good thing too actually

I had no idea. This is absolutely horrible.

• MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tinche wrote: »
    Heh, all these years I kept thinking the Apple logo was a homage to Turing, but Wikipedia says it's not. Too bad, would've been cooler if it was true.

I always liked that urban legend, even though i knew it was false.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tinche wrote: »

Damn, I was coming in here to say something about the Apple logo. Well, ignorance fought. At least the other aspects of his death that I knew about (he wanted to leave his death ambiguous to give his mother plausible deniability; the apple was a reference to Snow White, his favourite fairy tale) are, if not true, possible interpretations.

Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, but I have to agree with Elldren. It would have just been better coming from Blair at the height of his decade as PM rather than Brown not long before his getting ousted. Thatcher doing it would have been even better.
    Are we talking about the Thatcher that wanted to put gays in camps to combat HIV? That Thatcher?

tmsig.jpg
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Signing a petition has it's advantages.
    Spoiler:

• Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo FF69B4 Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    So the penalty for homosexuality in the UK at that time was prison or having your wang dissolved?

That's all 31 flavors of fucked up.

73zrBvC.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So the penalty for homosexuality in the UK at that time was prison or having your wang dissolved?

That's all 31 flavors of fucked up.

Well, I think it's just balls dissolved.

So only 30 flavors of fucked up. With crushed nuts.

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah luckily Turing's prosecution and suicide/murder were part of the dang curriculum in the CS department at my school. It's always interesting how many people have a passing familiarity with the man but no clue about his sexuality and death. You'd just think that'd always be part of the story.

• ElkiElki GOBS OF PUKE!!! YES!!!!!!!Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Debate battles!

That's where I learned of his existence.

• DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

And whoever said his statue in Sackville Park is rad - it totally is, and is usually surrounded by girls taking pictures. Turing is a total pussy magnet.

That is remarkably sad.

jk0Btsj.png
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Signing a petition has it's advantages.
    Spoiler:

Wow, I honestly teared up a bit at that.

Mark me down as someone who respected Turing but had no idea about his tragic demise.

idiot.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »

That is remarkably sad.

Hahaha. Well, this just means good looking dudes need to step up.

• Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As others have said, I had no idea about Turing's sexuality or suicide before today

filefile.jpg
  • mantidormantidor Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I'm glad they did it, I wasn't hopeful to be honest. Iit really doesn't do much to lessen the tragedy, but as has been said making his story more known is always a good thing.

I studied Turing for years for my thesis and my master degree and I had no clue about it until I read the dedicatory of a book to "the tragic end of Alan Turing" which intrigued me and made search his biography. Boy was I shocked, as the gay computer nerd I am it had an even bigger impact.

• FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously.

As somebody else said: Gay dude saves western civilization, gets persecuted and driven to suicide for being gay.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Yeah luckily Turing's prosecution and suicide/murder were part of the dang curriculum in the CS department at my school. It's always interesting how many people have a passing familiarity with the man but no clue about his sexuality and death. You'd just think that'd always be part of the story.

As one of my engineering friends would idiotically say,

"His science is what matters."

sig.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm happy to see this but it is true that he deserves a fucking monument, not just a written apology.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Santabreaker PresentslayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I read stuff like that.

It shows how far we have come.

And how far we have to go.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm happy to see this but it is true that he deserves a fucking monument, not just a written apology.

He has several.

tea-1.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

He has several.

I'm a huge fan of the one of him on the park bench posted earlier in the thread. The subtle "Fuck you" in his hand is brilliant.

edited September 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

He has several.

I'm a huge fan of the one of him on the park bench posted earlier in the thread. The subtle "Fuck you" in his hand is brilliant.

Someone mentioned this before, I seem to be missing something. It's an apple, right? I don't get it.

• AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

He has several.

Someone mentioned this before, I seem to be missing something. It's an apple, right? I don't get it.

He committed suicide by eating a poisoned apple.

idiot.jpg
  • mantidormantidor Registered User
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

He has several.

He killed himself by eating a poisoned apple.

EDIT: beaten.

From what I've read, he was a huge fan of Disney's Snow white.

edited September 2009
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User
    edited September 2009
    The Cat wrote: »

Are we talking about the Thatcher that wanted to put gays in camps to combat HIV? That Thatcher?

Cat posted before I could, but yes, Thatcher would have gargled broken glass before apologizing to Turing.

edited September 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

Cat posted before I could, but yes, Thatcher would have gargled broken glass before apologizing to Turing.

Which is why it would have been all the more impressive than Brown doing it now right before turning out the lights in #10.

tea-1.jpg