As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cute surprises for a girl

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evil Gummy wrote: »
    Find a place she's always wanted to go, but never could, and get a photo of it. Cut out a picture of her, and glue it into said photo. You can add yourself, too, or be even crazier and put her into places like prehistoric times, under the ocean, etc. Put it into a cute little frame, or make her a little book!

You can incorporate treats she likes into the picture theme, too. Like, if you put her into a picture with sharks, give her a box of goldfish snacks. ;D

ok, this is super ridiculously cute, especially if you go a little overboard with it and do the pre historic or places you've never been sort of a thing.

ihmmy on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

I suggested the home made bath bags in case the OP didn't have an awesome Lush store around.

They deliver and this weekend if you spend $65 or more you get free shipping with the code LUSHFRIEND4LIFE. The Emotibombs for the shower are awesome too. Plus, most of the bubble bars and Emotibombs can be broken in half so you get 2 uses instead of one!

Etsy is a great place to look too. I get silly soaps from here and here.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

I suggested the home made bath bags in case the OP didn't have an awesome Lush store around.

Lush is amazing. I've been obsessed for years and managed the local store for a while.

It's usually a hit if you know the scents she likes. Or if you're really intrigued by some of the skin and hair care and think she might be (Like solid shampoo bars!) I can give options; consultation queen ftw!

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

Lush is amazing. I've been obsessed for years and managed the local store for a while.

It's usually a hit if you know the scents she likes. Or if you're really intrigued by some of the skin and hair care and think she might be (Like solid shampoo bars!) I can give options; consultation queen ftw!

I love the cinnamon shampoo bar, it smells so nice but it's so subtle. The face masks are great for relaxing and de-stressing as well.

New plan, you two need to come out to Boston and to a Lush spree with me and Usagi.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something that always goes down well for me:

I'm on a date with a girl, and I stop to pick up a broken street sweeper blade from the street. They're like a small, long, flat piece of high-carbon steel. The girl is obviously confused as to why I'm doing this. Let her be confused for a while.

Next time I see her, I give her a set of lock picks I made from the blades I've collected. You just have to grind them into the right shape with a grinder and polish them up a bit. I usually heat up the ends and curl them over so they have a loop to put a keyring or something through. Girls seem to love learning how to pick locks. Give her a padlock, too, to practice on. If you're really keen, you can sew up a leather book/pouch/scroll to keep them in, too.

Something I'm working towards is forging a rose out of steel... It'll last longer than flowers. I don't have a forge yet, though...
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/30/

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    bake her cookies and shape one of them like a heart and put it under the others in a nice tin or box

then eat them with her and arrange it in such a way that she pulls out the one shaped like a heart at some point.

and then just be like "oh, look at that!"

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something that always goes down well for me:

I'm on a date with a girl, and I stop to pick up a broken street sweeper blade from the street. They're like a small, long, flat piece of high-carbon steel. The girl is obviously confused as to why I'm doing this. Let her be confused for a while.

Next time I see her, I give her a set of lock picks I made from the blades I've collected. You just have to grind them into the right shape with a grinder and polish them up a bit. I usually heat up the ends and curl them over so they have a loop to put a keyring or something through. Girls seem to love learning how to pick locks. Give her a padlock, too, to practice on. If you're really keen, you can sew up a leather book/pouch/scroll to keep them in, too.

Something I'm working towards is forging a rose out of steel... It'll last longer than flowers. I don't have a forge yet, though...
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/30/

haha! I don't deny that I'm a weird guy. Maybe don't try this with girls that aren't equally strange. :P

I gotta say it again, I was amazed how much girls love learning this skill.

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm.
    • Lists. My girlfriend loves lists. Make them of things that you want to do together, or things that are cute about her that you like, or places you want to go, or anything.
    • Baking of any kind. Actually, cooking of any kind.
    • Hand-written poem, mailed, not delivered personally. Everyone loves to get mail in this day and age because it's so beyond the norm.
    • Picnics.
    • Plan a surprise weekend where everything is a surprise and don't tell her any part of it.
    • Mixtapes.
    • Paint something for her, even if you don't know how to paint.
    • If you don't want to paint, make her a photo print.
    • Go to a museum/art gallery and walk around pointing out pictures that are your favorite in every room.
    • Get her a stuffed animal, but take the stuffed animal and walk it around town taking pictures of it in funny places or with funny people. Then give her the album along with the stuffed animal.

Can't really think right now, little late. But if you like these I'll try to figure out more.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

I love the cinnamon shampoo bar, it smells so nice but it's so subtle. The face masks are great for relaxing and de-stressing as well.

New plan, you two need to come out to Boston and to a Lush spree with me and Usagi.

I have the Providence Lush store within walking distance, but I've never been to the Boston one. To the BathMobile! (Hahaaha I'm a comedian)

Christmas is coming, so yay holiday scents too!

Back on topic, cute things to say? Just be natural, you can't plan those things, I feel..

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

I have the Providence Lush store within walking distance, but I've never been to the Boston one. To the BathMobile! (Hahaaha I'm a comedian)

Christmas is coming, so yay holiday scents too!

Back on topic, cute things to say? Just be natural, you can't plan those things, I feel..

We have a huge one in the Back Bay, it's easy twice the size of the Providence Place one.

Back on topic, cute things to say? Just be natural, you can't plan those things

Very good advice.Some of the most adorable things my bf has ever said to me have been completely random.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Again I don't have anything to add, except to chip in and say "thanks again, these are all great!"

Organichu on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now I just need to figure out how to get my husband to read this thread :P

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Print it out and anonymously mail it to him.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/

Just tell him to read it!

rfalias on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aphostile wrote: »

[*]Get her a stuffed animal, but take the stuffed animal and walk it around town taking pictures of it in funny places or with funny people. Then give her the album along with the stuffed animal.

This is perhaps one of the most amazing ideas ever. If my partner did this I would be so amazed and overjoyed.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [*]Get her a stuffed animal, but take the stuffed animal and walk it around town taking pictures of it in funny places or with funny people. Then give her the album along with the stuffed animal.

That is spectacular.

Tav on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tav wrote: »

That is spectacular.
    That is truly amazing.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rfalias wrote: »

Note the title of the thread... it isn't a surprise if I tell him I want him to do something out of it :P

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsmneEtdWU

Have some poetry and a pretty cute idea.

I'm not gay.

An-D on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Possible new idea that could end in failure depending on areas.
    • Set up a walk through an area that you've planned ahead of time. Go the day before and set up lovey dovey notes, but leave them anonymous and "find them" on the way until you get to the last one that simply states, "I love you, insert name here. Signed, me". Cheesy, but all the best ones are.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    rfalias wrote: »

Note the title of the thread... it isn't a surprise if I tell him I want him to do something out of it :P

Wouldn't it be the same if you subtly dropped hints to get him to read it? You still know hes gonna read it. o_O

Edit: That stuffed animal picture book is golden, I bet that will melt panties right off a girl.

rfalias on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If she's a gamer, a gifted cheap game from steam or gog.com can be pretty rad. My girl was telling me onthe phone that she was bummed because her heroes of might and magic 3 cd was fucked, and a few minutes later she had a email from gog tellig her how to download it.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Girls enjoy you knowing about them and surprising them. Learn as much as you can about them, favorite colors, foods, candies, deserts, etc etc and combine them with surprises to make very interesting dates. Purely romantic dates are great too. You can never go wrong with candles (unless they smell bad, outside on a roof is ideal) or christmas lights to give mood lighting (turn off lights if there are any).

Some of the best dates I've been on include:

Scavenger hunt date, went ahead of time and hid clues throughout the town. Ideal for girls who enjoy mysteries and surprises.

Romantic lake date, hired a friend w/ diving equipment to deliver food to us in the middle of a lake on a nice rowboat (don't get a rickety or crappy one and the water must be calm). The biggest problem is going to be bugs who love water as much as women do, if you can do it right you can use wax to stick candles all over and hide a couple citronella candles in w/ them to keep mosquitoes at bay, tiki torches at the corner of the boat add a nice affect too.

I'll post some more of my greater ones later

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why not try occupying her home land and systamticly destroying her culture and people?

failing that, buy her some fucking flowers, you silly macbook having twat. you are seriously over thinking this. all most realtively sane women want is to know you're thinking of them. Sometimes that can be as simple as a note or some wildflowers.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    jmkwriterjmkwriter Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Leave little notes for her in places she won't expect them. Sneak them into her purse, the book she's reading, under her pillow.

jmkwriter on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Why not try occupying her home land and systamticly destroying her culture and people?

Believe it or not, this gets boring eventually.

Organichu on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

:lol:

glad to see you're listening to me.

anways, as an example of what you're trying to achieve, probably the most romantic date i've ever planned out was for my g\f, which consisted of setting up a picnic on top of a giant hill overlooking all of downtown. I had her blindfolded until we were at the top of the hill at which point she removed it, and then bam, all of downtown and a perfect picnic set up on a blanket, complete with her favorite itallian foods, localy made apple juice (her favorite drink), and the peice de reistastamce, a pumpkin pie, custom ordered in july. Pumpkin pie is her favorite desert.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the hill, is actualy a civil war graveyard filled with confederate soldiers and dignitaries. A zombie fantatic such as herself loved it.

She loved all the little touches and all the thought i put into it. I don't think she'll ever forget it, and it cost me maybe 30-40 bucks for everything.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One day when you're sure she has nothing going on: surprise picnic!

Have somewhere in mind ahead of time so you can just throw food in a bag, hop in the car and be like 'trust me, we're headed somewhere awesome'.

Just, you know, find somewhere awesome ahead of time.

EDIT: Okay seriously, I didn't read the last page of this thread at all, and then I post this and there's already picnic talk afoot.

I always knew the Penny Arcade forums were classy as hell. We think of picnics at the same damn time.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

For them maybe.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Get her a stuffed animal, but take the stuffed animal and walk it around town taking pictures of it in funny places or with funny people. Then give her the album along with the stuffed animal.

I did something like this today. It took all day but it's almost ready! Giving it to her Thursday.

I got her a stuffed animal. I took him around to places we've been to, date sites, inside jokes, etc.- and took pictures with him in them. I'm putting them in an album (with caption locations, and cute phrases on the opposite page). I'm giving them both to her in a box, with the animal having a note tagged to him "hi, my name is _____..." and the album having a note tagged to it, "...come take a walk with me", with the pictures inside.

I'll let you guys know how she likes it.

Organichu on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thing I did when I was married that got me some cracked ribs (hugs) and damaged eardrums (BIG squeals) was to paint a bowl from this one place called "Paint the town" and put 4 stick tree figures (her nickname for me) and 4 angels (hers) and mixed purple and white paint to make as close to Amethyst (her birth stone and favorite color) as I could.

I would recommend doing the picnic and busting out her favorite dessert in a custom painted bowl.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If she likes Honeysuckle, Bath and Bodyworks stuff (http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=honeysuckle&origkw=honeysuckle&sr=1) smells like awesome. I'd get her the body lotion, or the roll on or spray fragrance.

It seriously smells amazing. If you get it for her you may need to refrain from attempting to snort her like crack every time you get close to her.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Concering the mixtape thing, depending on what kinda girl she is she may take it awesomely or poorly aka either "Holy cow a mixtape!" or "WTF is this thing?" I once thought of an idea and never went for it but buying one of the extremely small iPod's filled with music and videos she would enjoy is my take on a modern version of a mixtape. To save cash though an iPod shuffle would be ideal and previous versions of the shuffle bought online would save you even more cash! If you have a some spending money why not go for the nanos, they have cameras ;].

Other ideas would be cooking! Even if you don't cook (which you should, real men cook) have fun together one night cooking something you both like. For example, my gf and I LOVE sushi and its always fun to make homemade sushi together. Granted at times sushi can be a BITCH to make but still fun get your hands sticky together after its all said and done.....and I don't mean the sushi ;].

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does she read much? Once there was this girl who was practically obsessed with Peter Pan, so one night I surprised her with a simple, inexpensive thimble I grabbed from Wal-Mart. (If the significance of the thimble is lost on you, go read Peter Pan, how the fuck can you call yourself a person and not have read this book oh my gods.) She was pretty much glowing after that.

Now obviously, the odds of this girl being obsessed with Peter Pan specifically are pretty low. But if there is a book (or movie) she talks about a lot, try and figure out something sweet you can do related to it. It's something she only understands because of her personal experience (meaning other people might not get it), which is a plus and shows that you're paying attention to her, rather than following some kind of formulaic "flowers + candy + chick flicks" approach.

If there's not a book/movie like that, buy her a copy of Peter Pan. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Dick in a box.

NEXT!

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But if there is a book (or movie) she talks about a lot, try and figure out something sweet you can do related to it.

I cannot stress enough that covering yourself in glitter is a bad idea.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. My advice is subject to the universal, "But don't do anything that is in itself a bad idea, just because it happens to match this advice." :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I already gave her my dick in a box, guys. I only have one. Do I start giving her other people's dicks in progressively more decorative boxes?

Organichu on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just make sure they don't compare too favorably to yours, if you know what i mean.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I already gave her my dick in a box, guys. I only have one. Do I start giving her other people's dicks in progressively more decorative boxes?

I don't know, but I'm sure yours is the best looking.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.