Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wacom Power Supply

Ranger RickRanger Rick Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
The power adapter to my Wacom tablet was apparently given away with no chances of return. I have several spare adapters laying around but none of them fulfill the 12v .1A requirements of the tablet. Would it do any damage to the tablet if I used a 12v 500mA (.5A) power supply? Or is it time to just order a new power supply from the Wacom website?

Ranger Rick on
moonman.jpg
·

• Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Whoa, what model tablet is it? I always thought they were powered by the USB plug.

9PZnq.png
    ·
  • Ranger RickRanger Rick Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's an older 12x18 Intuos GD. It plugs in via serial port.

moonman.jpg
    ·
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It won't be providing enough power to the tablet and might cause problems, or it could potentially damage the circuitry (just like a brown out can).

·
  • bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    100mA is less than 500mA. It can supply more than enough current.

It should work fine.

·
    edited December 2006
    Oop, I read it backwards. Provided it is a switching psu, it will be fine. If it can't provide less than its max output, you could damage it.

·
  • bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    It should only draw the current that it needs though, V=IR right?

·
    edited December 2006
    If the dc power adapter doesn't have a regulator (like most cheap dc adapters), it could be providing a different (higher) voltage at 100ma than it does at 500ma. The cheap ones are rated so many volts at so many amps and will produce that but vary otherwise.

·