As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ways to relax?

mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, tonight, I had a wake up call. After my roommates started yelling at each other yet again, I attempted to distract myself, but found myself having to go outside to try and pull myself together. Not only was I not able to do so, but scary things started happening to me. I started making noises involuntarily (mostly whines) and when I tried to say anything I would stutter. To say nothing of the full body shaking I was experiencing or the very, very rapid heart beat.

This scared the shit out of me, honestly. I know what's causing it----my very unsettled living situation with a manic roommate and a complete lack of privacy, my 50+ hours of work every week, and because of both of the first two things a general lack of sleep and more general rest.

The living situation is getting solved in the beginning of next month when I move away, and I'm going to try and figure something out in terms of cutting back my hours a bit. The sleep I don't have much control over due to the more manic roommate's sleeping patterns.

So, until I get out of my situation and get my hours cut back a bit I'm going to need to find ways to decompress and lower my anxiety level a bit. I've never been very good at doing such things so I could use some advice in this area.

steam_sig.png
mynameisguido on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I'm stressed out like that I try to find something that takes all of my concentration, but is still fun and not stressful. Usually this is one of three things (or a combination of them).

1) Work out. When I've got a barbell with enough weight to break every rib in my chest if I drop it held up above me, I tend to not worry about much other than not dropping it.

2) Video games. Obviously, this depends on the game and yourself quite a bit. Some games will just piss you off and make matters worse. I tend to go for something challenging, but where I can slow down and go at my pace - an RPG, something like Splinter Cell, etc. with some strategy involved and even if my concentration isn't spot on, I can just slow the hell down or grind out another level or whatever.

3) Music. I sit down and play my guitar and work on something that really pushes me - a new, hard song or trying to speed up the pace that I can run up and down scales cleanly, etc. Something that requires me to concentrate on what I'm doing.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -Going for a long walks with no music to listen to, just walk and think
    -Climbing, find an indoor climbing gym
    -Cook/bake
    -Clean stuff (this doesn't work for everyone but for some people cleaning up their living space is relaxing)
    -Find a swing set and swing for a while
    -Go window shopping with a friend

Hypatia on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I ever find myself needing to relax I shut my windows doors and curtains and lie on my bed in the dark with my eyes closed listening to some music.

I use headphones so no other ambient sounds leak in and just try to lose myself a bit in what I'm listening to, usually works pretty well.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I find smoking pot is relaxing.

Really helps to zone into a game or my guitar and really take everything in for the moment and slows time down.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Exercise and meditation or yoga (which could be considered both) work wonders for managing stress.

Back when I smoked pot, I was in a similar situation (out of control roommate situation) and found it only enhanced the stress to the point where I was having anxiety attacks. I had never previously gotten "the fear" while smoking.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since your living situation is causing a lot of your stress I'd say spend more time away from home. Go to a bookstore for a few hours, go to a park and sit by a lake, catch a movie by yourself, stuff that's stress free and gets you away from your crazy roommates. Just being outside by myself is super relaxing for me.

Retox on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Going out hiking is my preferred method of relaxing.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good hot wings / buffalo wings and a bottle of Mikes. But this is a summer thing.

Alternatively, a nice long hot bath in the near dark. Like just totally shut off all the lights ... unless you're in a room with no windows, you'll be able to see. Maybe music on low volume or some white noise too.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Make sure you are eating and sleeping right.
    After that, like people said; get some exercise. They say cardio is best for stress. The "rule of thumb" is 30 minutes 3 times a week. But most young healthy adults can probably do more then that.
    That is the "foundation". Sleep, eating and exercise.

Also avoid alcohol, cigarettes, energy drinks, tons of sugar/carbs/fats and to much caffeine. The short term they can help; but you always pay the price afterwards. Obviously avoid coke/meth.

After that, for me I find it helpful to do a quick meditation at morning, one before work/school and one at night. It's not so much the time involved, but the effort and the routine of it. I probably take a minute or so and just do a breathing meditation. Prayer or other types of meditations works.

Other things that help:

music - relaxing music that you "really" listen to and zone out on. Something slow and relaxing and not just trash you have blaring in the background.

quite time - I find that most background music running while doing other things can be a mild source of stress. personally I like it quite when reading/writing, programming, etc.

TV/Radio - commercials and most tv shows are pretty retarded and annoying to me. I find removing them reduces a lot of stress. How much news is on these "news" channels anyways?

Reading

Hobbies

Working problems. Easy problems that require enough focus to figure out, but aren't stress full. Playing chess, doing very basic math problems, light programming, etc. Those "IQ" game/books/problems are fun too. Also crosswords and stuff like that.

Showers/Baths

naps

sex/masturbation - but be careful, sex is inversely correlated with stress.

backrubs/massages

shutting off the internet. There are a lot of jerks on some parts of the internet, sometimes best to just step away for a bit (specially if you work on computers during the day)

Writing.

todo list: I like making a "todo" list. I basically just dump everything on paper that I need to do so I can forget about it.

Journaling and talking to people about your stress - some people like this as a way to "dump out" their stress. Personally, it gets me more stressed out since I focus on what is causing the stress. But hey, it works for some people, so try it.

Day dreaming - day dreaming of something better

Visualizing: just visualize random stuff in your mind. clouds, beach balls, stars, etc

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if your car has a sunroof, open her up and go cruising. Find a spot and watch the stars from your car.

Awk on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Got a car? Go for a ride, I often go for a nice long ride. I have 3 routes that are smooth, scenic, and free of annoying traffic lights and police cars. This kind of relaxing ride is normally about 45-60 miles and generally costs me about $2-$5 in gas and $3.50 in slurpees but it can help so much.

I can also recommend going out to dinner, either by yourself or with a friend or sexy girl for that matter lol.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bath and a movie works for me every time. I turn off the lights, set my laptop up on the toilet and drop in a bath bomb and just relax. It works for headaches as well. Sometimes I bring a margarita or some wine in with me and light some candles. Cliche? Yes. Relaxing? Very.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you're refusing to deal with the shitty living situation you have, and when you try to shut it out, you're flipping your shit

you are, for some reason, surprised by this, and are looking for methods of calming yourself down while you engage in one of your delusional shut-down-the-world-around-me sessions

here's what you gotta do

get tough with your room mates and tell them to settle the fuck down. mediate. aggressively. interrupt and yell at them if you have to.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    you're refusing to deal with the shitty living situation you have, and when you try to shut it out, you're flipping your shit

you are, for some reason, surprised by this, and are looking for methods of calming yourself down while you engage in one of your delusional shut-down-the-world-around-me sessions

here's what you gotta do

get tough with your room mates and tell them to settle the fuck down. mediate. aggressively. interrupt and yell at them if you have to.

haha, yea; I agree. If there is a "sisuation" in your life that is causing stress, then deal with it best you can.

Either accept it or change it.

It's doesn't have to be aggressive or nothing. Just sit them down and say "listen guys, this isn't working for me. We need to figure out a way for us all to live in peace". Don't place blame or get aggressive/defense about it. Just talk to them and try to come up with some arrangement that you can all agree to.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Going for a (brisk) walk, listening to some music, or reading a book tend to be my go-to methods when things seem a little too much to deal with.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rhino wrote: »

here's what you gotta do

haha, yea; I agree. If there is a "sisuation" in your life that is causing stress, then deal with it best you can.

Either accept it or change it.

It's doesn't have to be aggressive or nothing. Just sit them down and say "listen guys, this isn't working for me. We need to figure out a way for us all to live in peace". Don't place blame or get aggressive/defense about it. Just talk to them and try to come up with some arrangement that you can all agree to.

well

I say get aggressive

but that's just my play style, it doesn't have to be yours

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

here's what you gotta do

Well, I am leaving in a month, so it will be permanently dealt with pretty soon.

The problem is that this could just make the situation worse, because the roommate that is causing the problems seems to have enormous emotional issues that I don't think are easily resolvable (which is ultimately most of the problem). The other roommate (my best friend's mother---it's a bizarre situation) is pretty much set in her ways and I don't see any way her behavior is going to change due to her age. The manic roommate might leave (due to the fact that she's basically just been here on an extended visit and simply hasn't left) but she's dating my best friend (who I originally moved in with), which, um, complicates the situation somewhat.

If this was a situation where a couple of behaviors would change things it might be worth sitting down with them and talking it out, but it's mostly a case with a complete and utter personality mismatch between me and two of the people living here.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    wow, that's like some Three's Company shit right there

well

even if people won't change, shutting them out of your life ain't gonna fix things

you don't need to change them

you just need to shock them into keeping they traps shut over their bullshit while you're still there

if you can't push them into acceptance you can at least force them into tolerance

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Part of the reason I started the thread is that all this has been going on for a couple of months at least, and I've done everything I know how to do in order to get everyone involved to just generally just calm the fuck down but nothing has changed, and in some ways has gotten worse.

I've given up trying to change the other people, I'm trying to find ways of managing my response to what's going on in order to hang on for just a few more weeks.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wow, that's like some Three's Company shit right there

well

even if people won't change, shutting them out of your life ain't gonna fix things

you don't need to change them

you just need to shock them into keeping they traps shut over their bullshit while you're still there

if you can't push them into acceptance you can at least force them into tolerance

Him shouting and yelling for three weeks isn't going to help, if anything it will make the remaining weeks much worse. I don't think someone old enough to to be his mom and a manic will respond well to being the OP being aggressive, most people don't, that kind of behavior usually causes more drama. You also can't really reason with someone who's manic. The OP seems to know at this point that he just wants to make it through September and zoning these nuts out of his life the best he can seems to be a good idea.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ultimate relaxer for me, aside from the obvious sexins activities is;
    Beer and Videogames.
    or
    Naps.

rfalias on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Listening to music is one of the best ways. And really, it doesn't have to be something that's mellow or slow paced. I listen to Rage Against the Machine and such when I need to relax. It's got to be enjoyable, and the longer it's been since you've listened to something, the better says I. Because you'll be wrapped up in that nostalgic feel. Though, I suppose that could be more distraction than relaxation.

If going out for a bit, say a an hour or so, is an option, head out to a coffee shop. I've run out to Starbucks a few times and gotten expensive hot chocolate just to sit down away from dumb shit and work on whatever I've brought with me (art, book, free-time writing; whatever).

Henroid on