As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: Sweeter Trailers than MW2 ITT

1565758596062»

• Options
    DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fuck, I'd buy some of you fuckers some fucking 4 packs to gift the fuck out, as long as it lets you gift out ALL 4 extra copies. I'm pretty sure it would.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

Tell me if you read differently! This is pretty swell.

Doomninja on
    1154825-1.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrm, upon this discussion I am seriously regretting purchasing L4D2 through Steam. Ah, hell. I'll be content with my version, censored and all.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »
    I think the clowns lead other zombies behind them, right?
    Oh goodness. They better have it coded so that on rare occasions you'll get hit with a panic event and it's nothing but clowns, all coming from one tiny closet/room.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vINCq_IAI

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Please change the thread title to Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: Chocolate Helicopters

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BeriBeri Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1297492&p=7#r130
    Straight from the horses mouth...

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The version you are assigned is based on the IP of your transaction.

If you are playing within one of these countries that does not allow a full violence version, you would be provided with a censored version.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:

So I submitted a question and they answered it without answering it. My question was quite direct, basically asking them about gifted copies etc. IMO there answer is vague enough for me to draw the conclusion that if the transaction takes place overseas you will get that version of the game.

Beri on
    WHAT THE EFFFFFFF
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and if it doesn't, and assigns it when you download you could just grab a proxy and get the uncensored version that way.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it illegal in Australia to play a game that's banned? Or is it just illegal for someone to sell it?

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Is it illegal in Australia to play a game that's banned? Or is it just illegal for someone to sell it?

Only illegal to distribute/hire/public performance etc but not to play.

Half of various other forum people seem to think the cdkey determines the version, the other half seem to think it's the IP you have at time of purchase. Of course this argument when you think about it doesn't make much sense seeing as the IP address dictates which cdkey you get at sale... while buying off steam keeps the cdkey in the background, any key you purchase online for the uncut version should be just that - uncut. This means it should be 100% cool to buy from G2play I guess.

Beri on
    WHAT THE EFFFFFFF
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It shouldn't be too hard to mod the cut stuff back in, right Source-familiar-people?

Iriah on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You mean it shouldn't be too hard for them to overturn the ban
    I don't know if its totally kosher to TOTP something about using a third party mod to get around something that is banned in a country, seems like it would be illegal.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    All that messing with files would be all well and good until you have to play on an sv_pure server

Beri on
    WHAT THE EFFFFFFF
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    It shouldn't be too hard to mod the cut stuff back in, right Source-familiar-people?

"depends how they do it" is the most anyone can tell you right now.
    All that messing with files would be all well and good until you have to play on an sv_pure server
    we do not yet know this

LaCabra on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh goodness. They better have it coded so that on rare occasions you'll get hit with a panic event and it's nothing but clowns, all coming from one tiny closet/room.

So ... the hordes will be just like the ones from L4D? *Looks into empty sideroom* Nothing in there. *Horde noise as a pile of common infected clown car out of room you just saw was empty*

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

So ... the hordes will be just like the ones from L4D? *Looks into empty sideroom* Nothing in there. *Horde noise as a pile of common infected clown car out of room you just saw was empty*

Well at least it will make sense now, in Dark Carnival anyways.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh. And yet again I'm reminded on why I hate non-turbo versus. Why do I even bother...

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whaddya mean non-turbo?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Whaddya mean non-turbo?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Whaddya mean non-turbo?
    Turbo-mod, where it's not so much about doing better as it is getting horribly reamed less. Straight versus just seems to turn everybody into a neurotic asshole.

EDIT: That most turbomod servers are party servers usually helps things too.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It sounds terrible

LaCabra on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Hrm, upon this discussion I am seriously regretting purchasing L4D2 through Steam. Ah, hell. I'll be content with my version, censored and all.
    Alegis wrote: »
    I've heard of a few Germans who simply sent a mail to Steam support to activate the uncut version on their account instead and that worked out alright.
    Always worth a shot.

Alegis on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    You mean it shouldn't be too hard for them to overturn the ban
    I don't know if its totally kosher to TOTP something about using a third party mod to get around something that is banned in a country, seems like it would be illegal.

Not really, it's not banned, it's just unrated. It's perfectly ok for anyone here to own an uncensored version of the game, just not ok for people to sell it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I suppose if they sell us the censored version then later unlock violence for free, that's legal on all counts?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It sounds terrible

On paper, yeah. But in game? It all clicks. It's frantic and chaotic and can go any way at the drop of a hat. It's cackling and trashtalking and dicking around with Francis and the Boomer chilling in the safe room. It's about a tank slamming into you at Mach 3 and launching you halfway across the map, then a Smoker snatching you in mid-flight and a boomer dousing you before kamakazi-ing the other survivors to stun them and give the ~150 or so summoned commons room to work. It's completily absurd, murderous on servers and just awesome.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    StynStyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I read the last 5 pages, but everyone with a 4pack seems to have distributed their copies. If anyone still has one left send me a PM :)
    The trailer convinced me that this is going to be awesome²

Styn on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bloody lobby needs a sv_pure option, im getting sick of modded servers now. Im glad L4D2 is coming out with no modded servers at the start.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

My favorite was the time that the entire horde came from between two soda machines. I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say "do the dew" on the way out.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I'm super excited about playing this game. The release date is November 17, is it? D:

FFFFF, I have a conference that I gotta work at that following weekend. Dangit!

Well, at least I get half the next week off due to Thanksgiving. I guess I'll just have to play it then. :(

Melkster on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It sounds terrible

On paper, yeah. But in game? It all clicks. It's frantic and chaotic and can go any way at the drop of a hat. It's cackling and trashtalking and dicking around with Francis and the Boomer chilling in the safe room. It's about a tank slamming into you at Mach 3 and launching you halfway across the map, then a Smoker snatching you in mid-flight and a boomer dousing you before kamakazi-ing the other survivors to stun them and give the ~150 or so summoned commons room to work. It's completily absurd, murderous on servers and just awesome.

2 full teams of cool guys and these games are indeed off the fucking chain. It's usually however you, 1-3 cool guys, and a continuous loop of pubbies entering then subsequently all raging at the modded server.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Ellis's voice doesn't fit his build? The best way I can think to describe it is that he's got a late-thirties voice coming out of a mid-twenties body.

EDIT: Actually, I think it's just that first "Kill all sons of bitches" line.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AfroJ wrote: »
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    I am still looking to par take in a 4pack. PLEASE.

Same here.

Me too... one more (preferably a person willing to buy it and have us paypal him) to go...

Snake101st on
    Snakesig123.gif
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It sounds terrible

2 full teams of cool guys and these games are indeed off the fucking chain. It's usually however you, 1-3 cool guys, and a continuous loop of pubbies entering then subsequently all raging at the modded server.

Modded servers are 90% awful because they're always some shit like "items" or "crawling survivors" or other bullshit. Oh hey, I get a "get out of jail free" card vs. infected attacks! Yay! That is so much fun! Oh hey, I can crawl around on the ground when I'm knocked down! That doesn't break the game at all!

Fuck that noise, keep it clean and pure and balanced.

Robman on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The points mod is a fucking joke.

Oh hey lets make a points mod for a game where you kill lots of stuff and get points EVERY SECOND so we can spam up the screen with worthless shit.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Ellis's voice doesn't fit his build? The best way I can think to describe it is that he's got a late-thirties voice coming out of a mid-twenties body.

Uh? Naw, I thought it fit quite well. There are lots of early-twenty dudes with deep voices. Like me, for instance.
    Girls used to ask to put their heads on my chest as I sang/spoke/hummed, back in High School. :winky:

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man Killing Floor made me realize how awesome being able to see your team mates flashlights is. Why aren't they doing this 2, why didn't they do it in 1?

It's beyond aesthetics, it opens up interesting gameplay scenarios. Like last night we had one guy with a flashlight pointed at a stairwell while the rest of us used weapons without flashlights to mow down the incoming hordes.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm super excited about playing this game. The release date is November 17, is it? D:

FFFFF, I have a conference that I gotta work at that following weekend. Dangit!

Well, at least I get half the next week off due to Thanksgiving. I guess I'll just have to play it then. :(

Well there is the pre-release demo, I think that's one week.

And pre-orders get access to that earlier so I'd say you've got time.

Although it'll probably end up like the first demo, where after a few days everyone makes it to outside the saferoom and then there's a massive firefight as people incap each other and re-start the level. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone do one of them new thread things.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man Killing Floor made me realize how awesome being able to see your team mates flashlights is. Why aren't they doing this 2, why didn't they do it in 1?

Wait in this other game you can see your team mate's flashlights? That's awesome. They need to turn that on in Left 4 Dead. >:(

Also, there was a pretty long discussion about it earlier in the thread. Here's a summary, in a spoiler:
    Jobastion wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Ross_C wrote: »
    Harro.

So I'm interested in Left 4 Dead 2. In fact, I think my Group Of Buddies and I are going to put our $50 towards it, rather than Modern Warfare 2 due to the no-dedicated-server nonsense.

Now, I'm wondering about these fancy melee weapons. Is there a third person view available? Like, if you pick up a chainsaw or a frying pan, can you make it so that you're viewing your character in the third person, sort of like Jedi Knight?

And second, have they implemented Dynamic Lightning for the flashlights? That is, can you see your teammate's flashlight shadows, if you configure your graphical settings appropriately? I always found it weird how my own flashlight was the only one that seemed to illuminate anything.

You'd probably be more interested in doing the 4 pack preorder that's on STEAM. Each game costs $33 to all 4 people. You just need to have one guy pay for it all and then gift it to the other people.

As for your questions:

2: There's no real third person mode available, atleast they haven't said so. But the original Left 4 Dead had a console command version you could do by typing "thirdperson" or "thirdpersonshoulder" into the console. I imagine they'll still have this in.

3.Probably not, though Valve have mentioned in the past when technology has reached the certain point where all computers could handle all 4 dynamic lights from all survivors they'd implement it in. They originally played around with this but found that it usually only worked well on really really high end machines which is why they took it out.

Re: Limed stuff, what I don't get is why they don't just add an option in for this? I mean, I think my computer could handle it fine (it gets amazing FPS at maximum settings right now). You'd think they would at least have the option for PC Gamers right?

Gaming companies confuse me sometimes. :?

Put it this way, Crysis looked awesome on PC's when it was released, but had a tonne of functionality that would become usable when new generations of hardware came around.

It just ended up as "OLOL You need a $6,000,000 PC to run this game.", "Engine is crap and unoptimised", "Why does such an average looking game have such high specs" etc. etc.

Basically people would only whine about how crap the graphics are. It's not the fact that the graphics are bad, it would be the fact that they can't run it maxed and so it looks bad to them because they know that full dynamic lighting looks so much better.

It... sucks, but I can understand why they'd go with the decision to just cut it out and save on the idiot fanboys talking about how crappy the games visuals are because they don't understand how intensive something like that is.

There's actually a good reason for this though.
    Say you have an awesome computer. Bob has a crackerjack toy he calls a computer. And the two of you are playing together.
    You've got dynamic lights turned on, Bob has his turned off. Now you try to point something out in your flashlight beam. Maybe you see a hunter or something, or just an item, whatever. You can see your beam and bob's beam... but bob can only see his, not yours. This creates confusion, and the easiest way for them to not have to worry about players having different features available to them is to simply disable the option altogether, creating parity.

Oh, come on, that wouldn't cause much more confusion than normal. There's already a bunch of confusion when you call out "Pills over here" or whatever. "Look where I'm looking" becomes a bit easier if there's a big spotlight in front of you, but it's not that hard to just look at the other character and see where he's looking.

In plenty of other multiplayer games, graphical differences have been the source of some limited confusion and people have continued to do just fine. (WoW's spell effects and view distance, for example, have had a much bigger effect on gameplay, and yet 10 million players have somehow made it work.)

Melkster on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's beyond aesthetics, it opens up interesting gameplay scenarios. Like last night we had one guy with a flashlight pointed at a stairwell while the rest of us used weapons without flashlights to mow down the incoming hordes.

You can see their flashlight, but IIRC the dynamic lighting model on it isn't as complex as in L4D. Although I could be mistaken. I might have a look later and see.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait in this other game you can see your team mate's flashlights? That's awesome. They need to turn that on in Left 4 Dead. >:(

Also, there was a pretty long discussion about it earlier in the thread. Here's a summary, in a spoiler:
    melk download killing floors.

Way better than L4D in terms of fun factor for killing mans.

Plus the update gave a huge buff to most of the weapons and enemies.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png