As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New college transfer

.kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just transfered from a community college to a university. The dorm they put me in made up of "suites". What this means is there are 4 or so dorm rooms separated off with their own bathroom, common area, etc.

The problem is is my suite is only half full so theres so theres only 2 other people in my suite(excluding my roommate) and, although they are nice people, I didn't really hit it off with them. So I've found myself at the end of the first week very very friendless. Outside of joining clubs (I've already decided I'm going to join the hiking club and the ski club) are there any tips from you other college goers to meet people?

.kbf? on

• Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How do you feel about church? If there is one thing colleges have it is a wide variety of religious groups ranging from one end of the socio/political world to the other.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Go knock on dorm doors, sit down with a group of people in the cafeteria, and strike up conversations with people in your classes. And I felt the same way with a lot of my dorm mates my first year, everyone takes a bit of time to get out of their shells and you'll likely find yourself making friends with the last people you'd expect.

Scrum on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the truly easy way is to wait for a Saturday, go outside, listen for loud music, go there, and start introducing yourself to folks

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What others say:

College is a time where you can do things you've never done. Not confident, not good at meeting people? No one there knows that. Go and awkwardly stand by a group - I can absolutely positively say someone will eventually involve you. Better yet, introduce yourself and involve yourself!

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wallabeeX wrote: »
    What others say:

College is a time where you can do things you've never done. Not confident, not good at meeting people? No one there knows that. Go and awkwardly stand by a group - I can absolutely positively say someone will eventually involve you. Better yet, introduce yourself and involve yourself!

This is great advice, if difficult.
    No time like college to try something totally new and "unlike" you.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BardiBardi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How do you feel about church? If there is one thing colleges have it is a wide variety of religious groups ranging from one end of the socio/political world to the other.

Maybe it's the Atheist in me talking, but i would advise against going to church, unless you already decided you want to do that. Ideally, you'd be sleeping it off on a sunday morning. I don't know you, but personally, the type of person who goes to church in college isn't exactly at the top of my "people to make friends with" list.

My advice: dont forget about intramural sports. Also, if you go to a large school, absolutely dont miss football games, even if you have to tag along with your roommate or the other people in your area. Everyone is friendly at a football game, as long as you're all cheering for the same team.

edit: scrum, you go to OSU?

Bardi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bardi wrote: »

Maybe it's the Atheist in me talking, but i would advise against going to church, unless you already decided you want to do that. Ideally, you'd be sleeping it off on a sunday morning. I don't know you, but personally, the type of person who goes to church in college isn't exactly at the top of my "people to make friends with" list.

That's fine and all but in college I knew plenty of kids who still went to services and even though I've never been religious going to Hillel once in awhile with my friends was a great experience. It was similar to going to the Black Student Union or other cultural clubs with friends in them. My bf's little brother goes to church every Sunday and it's never caused a problem in his social life. That and not everyone gets wasted and sleeps til noon every weekend in college.

OP I'd also suggest getting a work study job on campus or joining some volunteer groups. I met tons of people at my work study my freshmen year and even more volunteering with a couple causes close to me. Study groups are another good idea. In some of your harder courses see if you can get anyone together to go over over and compare notes once a week and before big tests. You can also look into pledging if there are any frats on campus that interest you. Not all of them are like what you see in movies and it's a good way to make great lifelong connections.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2009
    Just seconding what VoC is sayin.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately for the OP, he's starting at a disadvantage. My school has similar living arrangements, we also have old style dorms (big hall, double/triple rooms, shared bathroom, etc.). I chose to live in the old style ones before moving to our suites with friends I met there. Dorms are great for meeting people because outside of your door is the hallway. People have nothing to do but meet and greet. But in a suites type situation, for the most part people have already subdivided into their own small social group and the openness of the dorms is completely lost. For instance, I've been living in them since the start of this summer and have never even SEEN my neighbors.

This means you have to get out there and find people with common interests. As others have stated, join clubs and get involved in class. Form study groups with people in your major. One thing I learned last year is that meeting people is completely up to you. If you just go to class, come back to the suite and do homework, repeat, the only people you'll truly know all year will be those two room mates.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Class is another great way to meet people. Just start a conversation with the person near you. Ask them about a concept in class, or what they are listening to on their ipod. When test time rolls around, ask the people around you if they want to do a study group. The first test you might have three people show up, but by the last test you could have around 10 or more.

Classes, the residence halls, and being an RA are the quickest way to make a shit ton of friends. I also want to second what VoC said. But bear in mind, church and religious groups are really just an extention of the club or activity idea. Don't go if you don't really have an interest in it. Hillel is a notable exception because it is more social then religious, and if you can find a Christian equivalent, you might consider that. I will say that at most colleges you can't swing a dick without hitting a bible study group. Also, they typically hate people who swing their dicks, so don't do that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    During the first few weeks of class, pretty much none of the freshman have any friends and they want to make friends. That is the time to STRIKE!

the truly easy way is to wait for a Saturday, go outside, listen for loud music, go there, and start introducing yourself to folks

HalberdBlue on