As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movies that are like certian videogames

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Some mildly NSFW trailers.

There are a bunch of crappy videogame movies out there, but some movies give off an extremely similar vibe that some games do, even if the source material is completely different. To Give you an idea what I mean, here are some movies that are defiantly worth watching if you like the videogame I compare it to.

Dagon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QREJdUyf4

A modern retelling (I can't say how close since I haven't read the full story yet) of HP Lovecraft's 'Shadow over Innsmouth'. Guy ends up on an island with his girlfriend, but said island is crawling with crazy Spanish speaking cultists who also happen to be tentacle spewing water breathing fish mutants. I got an instant Resident Evil 4 vibe from this movie and I swear I heard a cultist shout 'Un foresstero!' while the mob was chasing the protagonist. I really enjoyed the movie in it's own right but defiantly worth a watch if you enjoyed the atmosphere of Resident Evil 4.

Hard Boiled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL6E5kb9bAo

First off, this movie was directed by John Woo, whom in turn worked on the recent game Stranglehold, Hard boiled being an unofficial sequel, but this movie also inspired Max Payne and probably half of any high octane 3rd person shootemup. An absolute masterpiece of coriography. Just imagine a Jackie Chan movie where everyone is an armed homicidal maniac and you will get the gist of this movie.

Jacob's Ladder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0kW6xuxtPU

A fantastic movie about a troubled Vietnam war veteran who's hallucinations range from horrific war flashbacks to a truly creepy scene in a twisted insane asylum straight out of Silent Hill. Granted I don't remember too much of this movie but I defiantly remember getting a major Silent Hill vibe from it.

Necronomicon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTkcIaZHyI

(I apologize for the crappy trailer) Another HP Lovecraft movie that starts out with Lovecraft himself finding the necronomicon and reading 3 tales from it. This movie's premise reminded me a lot of Eternal Darkness, eg, the protagonist reads from a book to further the story which has an effect on the world around them. A definite B movie but anyone who loves their anamatronic special effects and monster suits should give this one a look.

So, anyone else recommend any movies that remind you a lot of/give off the same atmosphere as certain videogames? I think it's a good idea to keep it fair specific, eg, this movie reminds you of this game or else we will probably have a dozen war movies reminding people of even more war games. I don't think anyone has to point out that Saving Private Ryan reminds them of their favorite WW2 videogame.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    District 9 really really reminded me of HL2.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reason Jacob's Ladder gives you such a vibe is because it's one of the major inspirations for Silent Hill in the first place.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    District 9 really really reminded me of HL2.

Children of Men as well.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IceBurner wrote: »
    The reason Jacob's Ladder gives you such a vibe is because it's one of the major inspirations for Silent Hill in the first place.

That would make sense :P

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

First off, this movie was directed by John Woo, whom in turn worked on the recent game Stranglehold, Hard boiled being an unofficial sequel, but this movie also inspired Max Payne and probably half of any high octane 3rd person shootemup. An absolute masterpiece of coriography. Just imagine a Jackie Chan movie where everyone is an armed homicidal maniac and you will get the gist of this movie.

You got it mixed up, assuming I'm reading it right. Stranglehold is the sequel to Hard Boiled, and there be nothing unofficial about it.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Van Helsing movie a few years back wasn't that great of a movie, bet felt like it could have been a pretty cool videogame.

Of course, the game that they made for it seriously stunk, because it was a rushed tie-in, rather than a fully thought out game.

Evander on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Mist was kinda like a Half-Life movie.

What with the whole inter-dimensional experiement gone wrong/portal storm/creepy monster things

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The Mist was kinda like a Half-Life movie.

What with the whole inter-dimensional experiement gone wrong/portal storm/creepy monster things

Heh, funny you should mention that...
    The game's plot was originally inspired by the video games Doom, Quake (both PC games produced by id Software), and Resident Evil (published by Capcom), Stephen King's short story/novella The Mist, and an episode of The Outer Limits called "The Borderland".

wiki link with a reference to the Raising the Bar book.

SteevL on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After watching Dagon , I was curious if that inspired Capcom. But I have no idea how the development of RE4 went.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I knew it was a king short story.

didnt know that other stuff though, dont see the similarities to doom and quake..

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I knew it was a king short story.

didnt know that other stuff though, dont see the similarities to doom and quake..

Quake (and to some extent Doom) I could kinda see with the head crabs, and the inter-dimensional stuff (especially towards the end of one).

Egos on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Departed could have been an adventure game like Police Quest. TALK to Jack Nicholson. LOOK AT Jack's weird hair. COMBINE Martin Sheen AND gravity.

It's also been said before but the original Vampire Hunter D looked like a Castlevania game before there were Castlevania games.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks like there's a somewhat awkwardly edited video with the parts of Jacob's Ladder that inspired Silent Hill on youbtube here.

NSFW, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoRj0YFOqjk&feature=related

Darlan on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Departed could have been an adventure game like Police Quest. TALK to Jack Nicholson. LOOK AT Jack's weird hair. COMBINE Martin Sheen AND gravity.

I would play that forever and ever.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Play Fallout 3 then go rent Mutant Chronicles.

When you have done so come talk to me about how awesome both are in their own very special way.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gymkata

Proof that RE4 would have been better with gymnastics based martial arts.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alien/Aliens and Metroid, surprised it isn't mentioned yet.

Has some common themes, aloneness in space, strong women, last minute countdown sequences, truly alien creatures (Aliens & Metroids), final battles against Queens with help(Queen Alien vs Ripley in Powerloader / Mother Brain vs Samus with Super Metroid energy)

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Gymkata

Proof that RE4 would have been better with gymnastics based martial arts.

That is the most ridiculous fight scene I have seen I a long time.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TetraTetra The Grumpiest Baby Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alien/Aliens and Metroid, surprised it isn't mentioned yet.

Has some common themes, aloneness in space, strong women, last minute countdown sequences, truly alien creatures (Aliens & Metroids), final battles against Queens with help(Queen Alien vs Ripley in Powerloader / Mother Brain vs Samus with Super Metroid energy)

Zerg and Tyranids also come to mind as inspired by these movies.

Tetra on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is probably a really, really bad example - and not even what you're talking about, really - but in the Ed Norton Hulk movie, Hulk uses like, three moves from Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

It's entirely possible that these maneuvers actually originated in the comic books (I'm not a big comic book reader), but he uses the Thunder Clap and the Car Boxing Glove weaponization.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Error in OP: No mention of Hard Boiled's climactic shootout being done in one long 5-minute take.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blade Runner and Snatcher

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kind of a dumb topic really considering how many games just rip off movies wholesale.

Aliens and Saving Private Ryan. There you go, 90% of all FPS games.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember playing Starcraft because it reminded me of Starship Troopers...

In my defense, I was like 13 at the time and didn't get that Starship Troopers was hugely satirical and that I liked it for all the wrong reasons.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

When you have done so come talk to me about how awesome both are in their own very special way.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one that loved Mutant Chronicles. It has a phenomenal soundtrack.

I was surprised to learn it's based off of a pen and paper RPG. Does that mean that everything cycles back around on itself and implodes?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The War of the Worlds movie was pretty much Half-Life 2 the movie.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    (I apologize for the crappy trailer) Another HP Lovecraft movie that starts out with Lovecraft himself finding the necronomicon and reading 3 tales from it. This movie's premise reminded me a lot of Eternal Darkness, eg, the protagonist reads from a book to further the story which has an effect on the world around them. A definite B movie but anyone who loves their anamatronic special effects and monster suits should give this one a look.

The reason you get this vibe is because Lovecraft was a gigantic influence on Eternal Darkness. Naming conventions, the idea of cosmic gods from beyond space and time - hell, the mansion is even set in Rhode Island, and you can probably draw parallels between the Tome of Eternal Darkness and the Necronomicon.

freakish light on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In the vein of Jacob's Ladder, there's a small psychological horror movie called Session 9 which directly inspired a certain setpiece in Silent Hill 3.

session_nine.jpg

GREAT movie, too. It doesn't have any special effects to speak of; it relies primarily on the very fucked up nature of an abandoned mental hospital.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Other then the aliens invading, it really isn't anything like it. War of the worlds was bad.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DudBolt wrote: »

Other then the aliens invading, it really isn't anything like it. War of the worlds was bad.

Well, it had tripods.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    The Van Helsing movie a few years back wasn't that great of a movie, bet felt like it could have been a pretty cool videogame.

Of course, the game that they made for it seriously stunk, because it was a rushed tie-in, rather than a fully thought out game.

Yeah I always thought Van Helsing was the closest we'll get to a good Castlevania movie.

Also nobody has mentioned Escape from New York, which is Metal Gear with everything except the giant robot. Again, apparently this doesn't count because it inspired the game/character design?

snakej.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Error in OP: No mention of Hard Boiled's climactic shootout being done in one long 5-minute take.

Also, of note: Stranglehold is the official sequel to Hard Boiled -- in fact, Woo is working on the film version of Stranglehold at the moment.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I find it kinda amusing that people are comparing District Nine to Half Life given what Blokamp was originally working on.

Also yeah, Aliens has inspired to varying levels every single sci-fi shooter. I mean, Johnson is Apone just straight ripped. I'd question whether this is a bad thing though. And let’s not forget it effectively created the genre in the first place (with some influences from Heinlein).

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

There is absolutely nothing awesome about Mutant Chronicles. FO3 has super mutants, and Mutant Chronicles has the word "mutant" in the title. That movie is a million times worse than any Sci-Fi channel original movie, which is a shame because Ron Perlman is awesome..

Oh there's another similarity to FO3 I suppose

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oops, double post!

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    I find it kinda amusing that people are comparing District Nine to Half Life given what Blokamp was originally working on.

Also yeah, Aliens has inspired to varying levels every single sci-fi shooter. I mean, Johnson is Apone just straight ripped. I'd question whether this is a bad thing though. And let’s not forget it effectively created the genre in the first place (with some influences from Heinlein).

Plus it gave us Sarge of the Halo series

On that note the new AVP game looks perfect. Too bad you can't play as danny glover or arnie though

Robman on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A Boy and His Dog is basically just a Fallout movie, or more accurately Fallout is pretty much just a A Boy and His Dog videogame.

The upcoming Pandorum looks like a Dead Space movie, maybe because the people behind it wanted to make a Dead Space movie but ended up not being able to or something.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't see Tom Cruise in the credits though

Robman on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blade Runner and Snatcher

Such a blatant rip off, but I love Blade Runner so much that I adored Snatcher.

donhonk on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout movie, not Fallout 2. A Fallout 2 movie would basically just be a clip show of a bunch of sci-fi movies while the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys make jokes.

TychoCelchuuu on