As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a camera flash

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the market for a flash for my Canon Digital Rebel XT. Specifically, I'm looking for something to help with indoor photography (new baby imminent!) so at a minimum I'd like something that will allow me to bounce the flash.

Of the Canon Speedlites, I've been looking at two. The first is the 270EX, which is pretty basic as far as flashes go but can be set at multiple angles for using a bounce flash. Other downsides are a limited range (although not a dealbreaker because I'll mostly be using this for portrait-type stuff) and limited coverage (28mm or 50mm). Possibly the biggest issue is that apparently it does not support AF assist for my camera.

The next step up is the 430EX II, which has more features but is $100 more. It's more complex, but more versitile, and is definitely getting into the "prosumer" range.

Both of those have great reviews. I haven't checked out any 3d party brands but would welcome any recommendations if any are good quality and support E-TTL.

So, I'd appreciate any recommendations as far as flashes, including what features I really need and what features I might not need but might find myself wanting later on down the road. Thanks!

RUNN1NGMAN on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have any specific advice for you, but I'd suggest going and asking in the photo thread in the AC - there are lots of serious amateur and professional photogs using Canon that will be able to answer your question.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't get the 270. The head can be tilted up, but can't be rotated - so you can't shoot with properly bounced flash when in portrait orientation. The 430 is a great flash and will serve you well.

Keep it mind that it can't act as a wireless commander for future use in a Canon wireless flash system, though. For that you'll need to pick up a 580 series flash, though the 430 can be used as a slave.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg