As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Martial Arts & MMA] 4 - UFC is (still) Rigged

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    And if fighters don't want points taken away, then maybe they should listen to the ref when he says "Stop grabbing the cage!" No one's saying points should be deducted on the first offense, just as they aren't on any other foul. But repeated violations? Go ahead and start docking.

How many warnings does a guy get? How many times can the guy break the rules and gain an advantage because of it before you penalize him?

I dunno, how many free groin kicks can he get away with? Right now it seems to be up to the ref's discretion. I wouldn't be opposed to officially setting a certain number, though.

But at least with groin kicks, the kicker doesn't really gain an advantage. The ref stops the action and gives Mr. Sore Nuts up to five minutes to recover. You can argue that there's still some advantage, but the rules at least minimize it as much as possible.

With what you're talking about for fence-grabbing, though, not only is there no immediate penalty, but there's a notable and sometimes significant advantage that doesn't get minimized at all. What good does a warning do for the guy who now doesn't have the takedown he probably would have had?

That's my problem with the current system and the system you're proposing. Not only is there not a penalty until some undefined number of warnings, the guy committing the foul gains an advantage and that advantage doesn't get taken away.

I'd say there is a long-term factor with groin kicks, even if you shake them off they rent space in a fighter's mind. No one likes getting kicked there, and fighters will still watch out for it - even after the opponent gives an apologetic fist-bump.

In addition, the 5-minute delay will likely advantage one or the other. If you're gassed a 5-minute rest from getting kicked - or even better, kicking - can really help. I remember complaints that Aoki was milking his 5-minute timeout after Hansen upkicked him in the groin.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RE Karo -

I don't see the cause for all the RAGE! by White. According to Karo, he couldn't get licensed because Nevada fined him $32k for testing positive for (prescribed) painkillers, and he can't pay it because he doesn't have the money. Apparently him not being willing to take out a mortgage on his house = "screwing" the UFC.

Maybe Karo should have went to the bank. On the loan application, he could have written the reason for the loan was "To pay state fine for drug violations." That would have turned out well.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10041&zoneid=2

Karo allowed his camp to release that he's been addicted to pain killers for over a year, and admitted this during the pre-fight doctor screening. That's why he withdrew from the fight.

It definitely sucks for Dustin, but drug addiction isn't something to take lightly. I hope Karo gets help, even if he can sometimes be a douchebag.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    finally got around to seeing this week's TUF
    my god the cage grabbing was annoying
    the last time i saw a fighter blatantly walk all over a ref like that was when shane mcmahon was guest refereeing and HHH pedigreed him
    I mean this wasn't any "whoops, fingers go caught in cage"
    madsen had him down on his ass, he reaches up, grabs the cage and pulls himself back upright
    ridiculous

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Your thoughts on the SHOCKING INSTANT REMATCH between Shogun and Machida, PantsB?

Considering the UFC hasn't given a losing contender a shot at the title twice in a row - or 2 out of 3 or 4 - since UFC 31-34, I think my surprise is pretty legitimate.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone seen the awesome stuff Genki Sudo is doing now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-1e56eyHNI&feature=player_embedded#

I normally don't go for J-Pop, but I actually thought that video was quite good.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

I normally don't go for J-Pop, but I actually thought that video was quite good.

Hahah, Genki Sudo is always awesome.

He will be missed. :cry:

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GENKIIII

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

That man is a legend, pure and simple. I think MMA would just explode in hype if he decided to return to competition, even if he were to lose the fight. MMA threads always shine when videos of his fights are shown - in fact, I hope the next thread has links to his vids in the OP.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

That man is a legend, pure and simple. I think MMA would just explode in hype if he decided to return to competition, even if he were to lose the fight. MMA threads always shine when videos of his fights are shown - in fact, I hope the next thread has links to his vids in the OP.

... You know what? Done. I'm going to take a little longer, but this thread seems like it's going to last until tomorrow.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Regarding the female Vera/Couture fight:
    Couture got destroyed. Ouch.

It was kinda humorous, though, watching Vera winning the exchanges and Couture responding by pinning her against the cage in the clinch. Talk about deja vu!

And I've realized that I don't really enjoy watching women fight. I can't really explain why, either. I'm all for them having the opportunity, I just don't particularly care to watch.

Anyway, Woodley's fight is coming up, aka the sole reason I tuned into the Challengers card tonight.

Oh, and Strikeforce's fighter interviews/bios for this event seem ripped straight from Nickelodeon's Guts. It's uncanny, really. The akward poses, the simple graphics, the cheesy background and music, it's just like Guts. If Mo refs the main event, I'm calling shenanigans.

edit: Oh man, this ring announcer is painful.

I love what Strikeforce is doing with their Challengers events. Here's to hoping they just increase the quality of their production.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Woodley/Bears:
    Woodley swiftly submitted Bears which surprised pretty much no one. He looks good. Hopefully Strikeforce can get him some proper competition. The only problem is the UFC has about 19 of the top 25 WWs. Woodley/Diaz would be interesting. Or maybe just go all out and do Woodley/Hieron for the Strikeforce WW title.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And if fighters don't want points taken away, then maybe they should listen to the ref when he says "Stop grabbing the cage!" No one's saying points should be deducted on the first offense, just as they aren't on any other foul. But repeated violations? Go ahead and start docking.

How many warnings does a guy get? How many times can the guy break the rules and gain an advantage because of it before you penalize him?

I dunno, how many free groin kicks can he get away with? Right now it seems to be up to the ref's discretion. I wouldn't be opposed to officially setting a certain number, though.

But at least with groin kicks, the kicker doesn't really gain an advantage. The ref stops the action and gives Mr. Sore Nuts up to five minutes to recover. You can argue that there's still some advantage, but the rules at least minimize it as much as possible.
    CHEICK KONGO

Hahah, Genki Sudo is always awesome.

He will be missed. :cry:
    ;_;

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I can't believe that I was staying away from this thread to avoid WEC/TUF spoilers. Now that I'm back, having watched them, I see that I missed approximately 100 opportunities to call B:L an idiot. I can't believe it.
    TUF:
    Schaub really needed to tone down the celebration after the fight. He fought a terrible fight, right until Madsen left his hands down and got KTFO. I mean they were nice crisp punches but they were practically the first punches he'd thrown. He needs to up his aggressiveness big time to have a chance going forward. Also, he and Madsen both should cut down to 215 yesterday. Schaub especially would look got at LHW.
    WEC: Nice card. I'd heard this, but the WEC really kinda is MMA for people with ADD. Sticking to the lighter fighters pretty much ensures a fast pace and entertaining fights, if not always the huge KO or submission that the crowd loves. I'll definitely still be watching. Specific results:
    I love Manny's motor and heart but the dude really needs to figure out how to end fights. I'm still not a huge fan of decisions, even entertaining ones. The judges were a little bit all over the map, especially Rob McCullough vs. Karen Darabedyan; two judges scored it unanimously, one for each guy? Really? Every one of those cards should have been 29-28, no matter who you thought one. I wish I'd seen Aldo/Brown but it was outside the strict 2 hour limit for the show so my DVR didn't record it. I really really hate that.
    We need to decide a time limit for spoilering fight results. Is a week enough? Too much? What say you all?

Peen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I would go for no spoilers. If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't come to this thread. You missed TUF or the latest UFC? Go watch it first.

Also, I'm wondering... will I end up making the new thread today, or tomorrow? UFC 106 is today.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow
    Grove from full-mounted to triangle in seconds

Weird hearing Rosholt's corner call him by his last name.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Marcus Davis
    needs to learn how to get out of a MT clinch. He was stuck in there like it was UFC Undisputed 2k9.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is Brock Larson from Dream or something? He doesn't seem to know the rules.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    106 Prelims:
    I think I'm glad Grove is back to winning, good for him. I always thought he was a small middleweight and I do think moving down would work out, but I like him. I frickin love Ben Saunders, and this is coming from a guy who loves Marcus Davis too. They need to set up Saunders/Anthony Johnson next, regardless of how tonight ends for Rumble. And yeah, that's the first time I've ever seen two points deducted in the same round. I'm relatively new to MMA, but sheesh. Learn the rules fella.

Peen on
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How does amir sadollah get on the main card and didn't he lose his last 2 fights??? It says he is 2-o...

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I can't believe that I was staying away from this thread to avoid WEC/TUF spoilers. Now that I'm back, having watched them, I see that I missed approximately 100 opportunities to call B:L an idiot. I can't believe it.

Don't worry. The time for calling B:L an idiot will swing back around again eventually.

As far as the spoilers thing goes, I really don't have a problem putting spoiler tags on the stuff I'm talking about. It's a pretty simple procedure.

On the other hand, if it's the night of or the day following a fight and someone doesn't spoiler something, it's your own fault for popping in here when you know that the latest event is what we're going to be discussing. I used to get annoyed at people that wouldn't spoiler things, but I've changed my mind recently.

If you haven't seen the event, don't come in here until you have. And if you see something you didn't want to see, don't get mad at someone. You should have known better.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    How does amir sadollah get on the main card and didn't he lose his last 2 fights??? It says he is 2-o...

Because they have to push the TUF winners through the roof. That's about it, really.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Phil Baroni...
    Ouch. He is gonna be sore for a while...

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Asking Baroni
    to throw power punches with legs turned to mush is just unreasonable. Power punches start in the legs.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Because they have to push the TUF winners through the roof. That's about it, really.

What's interesting to me is that they're not pushing Ben Saunders as a TUF alumnus. He's kicking ass and taking names and they're not playing that angle up, which I think is interesting.

Peen on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Don't worry. The time for calling B:L an idiot will swing back around again eventually.

Way to not be a clique, guys.

Spoilers should be spoilered. That's why they're called spoilers and why we have the spoiler tags. I agree on a one day spoiler rule, just so people reading the thread won't accidentally come across them and also so that they would know when the spoiler talk is starting.
    I also encourage doug_grammar to keep the thread title up to date with upcoming events while making sure they are spoiler free.

Brock Larson is from the UFC. Guy is a bonafide scrub. The last fight I remember him in, his odds put his opponent at +400 and he lost. Easy money right there.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited November 2009

What's interesting to me is that they're not pushing Ben Saunders as a TUF alumnus. He's kicking ass and taking names and they're not playing that angle up, which I think is interesting.

This may be way off the mark, but the fact that the guy that won his season (Mac Danzig) isn't doing so well may have something to do with it. They generally don't want to make their TUF winners look inferior if they can help it.

Just a little theory. May be completely wrong.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Way to not be a clique, guys.

Nothing to do with being a clique. I just think you act like an idiot sometimes. You probably think the same of me, but hey...opinions and all that. 8-)

I do agree with the spoiler thing to a point. Like I said, I spoil things after an event is over out of courtesy, but I think if something doesn't get spoilered and people see it, they have themselves to blame for it.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, I didn't think it was going to be THAT easy for Rogerio.

EDIT: Oh, that was brutal for Davis. Good luck having that rematch with Hardy in Ireland.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kessler/Ward, Super Six:
    Poor, poor performance by Kessler. Just couldn't hit Ward. Ref wasn't the best (just because the holding is happening on the far side doesn't mean it isn't happening), but there's no excuses for this one. He really has to step it up if he wants to go better than 1-2 in his three fights (I still think he's gonna beat Jermaine Taylor).

Edit: Oh, the stoppage came from two cuts caused by Ward headbutts, one called, one not. Yeah, OK, a wee bit of excuses can be made, I guess.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Volkmann sucks. He let go of everything. I think he could've just won over five times during the match, but he kept giving up everything.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesus, what's the problem with knowing the rules tonight?

Edit: Should the next thread be called MMA 5 - UFC still hates eyeballs?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Koscheck should've gotten in that RNC in the first round... also, eyejokes.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    a_m_a_ta_m_a_t Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, that illegal knee/eyepoke in Round 1... Did the knee actually connect? Did Koscheck really get poked in his left eye? It looked really shady.

a_m_a_t on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    a_m_a_t wrote: »
    So, that illegal knee/eyepoke in Round 1... Did the knee actually connect? Did Koscheck really get poked in his left eye? It looked really shady.
    Does it matter? It was still a cheap/illegal shot

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    a_m_a_t wrote: »
    From what I saw he kneed Koschek's arm, and the force pushed Koschek's finger into his own right eye

BubbaT on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was so fucking ugly. Illegal strikes. Eye pokes x 3

I'm so glad it is over.

I vote the next thread is UFC 106: night of 1000 deductions

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Kessler/Ward, Super Six:
    Poor, poor performance by Kessler. Just couldn't hit Ward. Ref wasn't the best (just because the holding is happening on the far side doesn't mean it isn't happening), but there's no excuses for this one. He really has to step it up if he wants to go better than 1-2 in his three fights (I still think he's gonna beat Jermaine Taylor).

Edit: Oh, the stoppage came from two cuts caused by Ward headbutts, one called, one not. Yeah, OK, a wee bit of excuses can be made, I guess.

Ward was also
    constantly ducking below the waist
    which is supposed to be illegal. I say "supposed to" because everybody does it. Mayweather does it all the time, so did young Tyson. Man, I miss young Tyson.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If I were ortiz I would bring a jogging suit to the fight for forrest if he decides to run away again after he loses.

Also, really lame entrance music forrest jeez...

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I were ortiz I would bring a jogging suit to the fight for forrest if he decides to run away again after he loses.

Also, really lame entrance music forrest jeez...

But he gets knocked down, but gets up again. No you are never going to keep him down.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Kessler/Ward, Super Six:

Ward was also
    constantly ducking below the waist
    which is supposed to be illegal. I say "supposed to" because everybody does it. Mayweather does it all the time, so did young Tyson. Man, I miss young Tyson.

While I agree Ward was incorporating some less than legal tactics, it does not change the fact that Kessler wasn't able to hit him. Kessler never established his jab, refused to swing with the left hook, which Ward is weak for, and he refused to move sideways, always moving forward...essentially a great target for the much faster Ward. Kessler is made of iron though, he took some really hard shots and barely showed, if it weren't for all the headbutts i doubt he would have been so banged up. And with his punching power, He had a fair shot at winning right up to the end.

Ward put up great fight though, he studied Kessler's weaknesses and exploited them wonderfully. Even without the headbutts and holding I think he just outperformed Kessler. Which sucks, i like Kessler.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on