As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget it, Jake! It's [Star Wars].

• Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jar Jar wasn't lame enough to spoil the movie for me. I get all the hate, and I'm not fond of the character, but him showing up didn't cancel out everything good about the movie.

I couldn't take him. From the very beginning, he was so... distracting. I immediately saw him for the comic relief clown he was supposed to be and it irritated me.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought the pod race was..kind of unnecessary? I mean, it was cool, sure, but it basically just served to show that young Anakin was 1) apparently destined to do lots of stuff and 2) a crack pilot.

Couldn't that have been a lot easier and a lot shorter in something else? Then again, it almost feels as though the whole first movie was built around that. I'm probably in the minority when I say it feels like it should be the center focus on some non-Star Wars movie.

I don't really see your objection. It was a cool way to show Anakin's future potential. What's wrong with it? Sure they could have just told us that Anakin was a great pilot, but that would be boring. It's not like the movie really focused on that scene.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anakin turned out to be really fucking stupid more than anything. He ended up believing the blatantly evil dude over all of the people who mentored his whiny, unappreciating ass. They took the most badass villain in movie history and turned him into a douchebag.

He also epically failed to do anything. Wasn't he supposed to be the most powerful jedi/sith ever? And yet in the end, the emperor was able to kill off all the jedi masters himself, while the storm troopers killed all the rest. All Anakin had to do was kill one regular jedi, and he couldn't even manage that. If I was the emperor, I would've fired his ass after that.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can we also talk about how bad the idea of midichlorians were? Was there anyone who wasn't like, "what. the. fuck."

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Anakin turned out to be really fucking stupid more than anything. He ended up believing the blatantly evil dude over all of the people who mentored his whiny, unappreciating ass. They took the most badass villain in movie history and turned him into a douchebag.

He also epically failed to do anything. Wasn't he supposed to be the most powerful jedi/sith ever? And yet in the end, the emperor was able to kill off all the jedi masters himself, while the storm troopers killed all the rest. All Anakin had to do was kill one regular jedi, and he couldn't even manage that. If I was the emperor, I would've fired his ass after that.

He was really just a kid with mommy issues, who transferred the loss of his mother over to his wife. Not to mention he eventually kills the mother of his children because he's so goddamn jealous and worried she's going to leave him. The whole plot point of Anakin turning to the darkside is so that he can save Padme from dying. Well, he wouldn't have had to do that if he didn't kill her. It was all just so stupid and not worth my time. The Original Trilogy is still golden though.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Am I the only one who thought the pod race was..kind of unnecessary? I mean, it was cool, sure, but it basically just served to show that young Anakin was 1) apparently destined to do lots of stuff and 2) a crack pilot.

Couldn't that have been a lot easier and a lot shorter in something else? Then again, it almost feels as though the whole first movie was built around that. I'm probably in the minority when I say it feels like it should be the center focus on some non-Star Wars movie.

The problem is more the length. George Lucas wanted to do it as a Ben-Hur tribute, but he didn't have to make it as long as Ben-Hur. Compare that to how quickly Ep 4 establishes Luke as a crack shot with the "I used to bulls-eye womp rats in my T-16".

And whatever effect is has in showing Anakin as an ace pilot is undone in the conclusion, where he Pulls a Homer. He says "Oops!" 3 separate times before he's shot and crashes in the mothership hangar, at which point he shoots torpedoes at droids which miss and instead hit the reactor.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

I don't really see your objection. It was a cool way to show Anakin's future potential. What's wrong with it? Sure they could have just told us that Anakin was a great pilot, but that would be boring. It's not like the movie really focused on that scene.

My objection is that it felt really out-of-place. A better way to convince me would have been to shown him in a fighter battle in space.

Then again, this goes back to the awkwardness of them finding him when he was a nine year old. When Kenobi said "By the time I met your father, he was already a great pilot," I assumed that meant he had met him at least approaching adulthood.
    BubbaT wrote: »
    And whatever effect is has in showing Anakin as an ace pilot is undone in the conclusion, where he Pulls a Homer. He says "Oops!" 3 separate times before he's shot and crashes in the mothership hangar, at which point he shoots torpedoes at droids which miss and instead hit the reactor.

Yeah. The whole thing is just....God, I don't even know how to describe it. I don't think Lloyd's acting helped particularly either, but I've always had an aversion to child actors in action situations.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

My objection is that it felt really out-of-place. A better way to convince me would have been to shown him in a fighter battle in space.

Everything Anakin did wasn't convincing. His piloting, his love life, his powers, is turning to the darkside.

All i was convinced of was that he was decent with a saber and was a momma's boy.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's hard to pick apart the pod race when it's almost more of a symptom of the problem mentioned before, anakin being to young, than specifically an issue itself. although it does go on too long.

the real issue is, you can't show him reasonably in a space battle because of his age. you can't reference experience, like Luke did, because he's too young.

kid was just too fucking young, as was said a few pages ago and I'm sure echoed a few times.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone seen that recent interview with him?

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yar wrote: »

lol no. link?

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The John Williams score that blasts the trumpets to the upper balcony whenever somebody hits the appropriate plot point is annoying as hell. The hairs on the back of my neck tingle whenever I hear the Force theme playing as Luke switches off his computer. When young Anakin blows up the Trade Federation ship it's seems like the movie is playing for someone who has no concept of how awesome its predecessors were, and ironically I think that is exactly the case. The prequels were made for a different generation.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That interview was so weird. Him in college, studying film, growing up having to deal with everyone having seen him play Anakin.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More than one person here has hit the nail on the head. The OT movies were not solely Lucas's vision. His ideas, good and bad, got filtered through a layer of people who were pretty damn good at gauging what would work and what was absolutely ridiculous, among them Gary Kurtz and Lucas's ex-wife. There were also script doctors and other directors for 5 and 6 who were better at working with actors than George ever will be. When he made the new trilogy, he didn't have any of these people, and the films suffered badly for it. That's why I think it's high time for Lucas to hand the Star Wars reins off to someone else, who can competently take it in a fresh direction.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what would have been awesome? If Anakin got shot down during that space fight and got all fucked up and scarred, and was all droid'd up from the start.

Robman on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Rogue_K wrote: »
    Can we also talk about how bad the idea of midichlorians were? Was there anyone who wasn't like, "what. the. fuck."

No, let's not talk about that. The fact that fans imagine that the big problem with the prequel was that Mystical Pseudoscience Explanation A is so much worse than Mystical Pseudoreligious Explanation B shows just how out of whack their priorities are. If the movie had had a lively cast, strong themes and an emotionally engaging core, I wouldn't have given a fuck about midichlorians.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That interview was so weird. Him in college, studying film, growing up having to deal with everyone having seen him play Anakin.
    Yeah, but still showing up at cons everywhere, sort of hurting any chance he had of playing the "I just want to be me" card.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

No, let's not talk about that. The fact that fans imagine that the big problem with the prequel was that Mystical Pseudoscience Explanation A is so much worse than Mystical Pseudoreligious Explanation B shows just how out of whack their priorities are. If the movie had had a lively cast, strong themes and an emotionally engaging core, I wouldn't have given a fuck about midichlorians.

The problem is the "expanded" in "expanded universe". Some shit doesn't need to be explained. If there's a magic life force that functions like voodoo in fiction... it's ok. Because it's fiction. Not everything needs to be scientifically explained.

Robman on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm taking Elki's edited-in note in the OP to mean anything Star Wars.

I just had a case of wishful dreaming while sitting on the can. Star Wars could use a real good stealth-action game. And it's got all the elements necessary for it. Maybe more Kyle before he joins the Alliance. And if it has to be a game where you play a Jedi you can just call it Jedi Sentinel.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I just had a case of wishful dreaming while sitting on the can. Star Wars could use a real good stealth-action game. And it's got all the elements necessary for it. Maybe more Kyle before he joins the Alliance. And if it has to be a game where you play a Jedi you can just call it Jedi Sentinel.

A stealth Jedi game set during the (ugh) Vhong or w.e it is war would be fuckawesome. First person, because that's how the hardcore roll. Rapid orbital entry to remain undetected, and slipping stealthily through their camps. Stealth attack takedowns with the force and general physics trickery to pass through obstacles and distract guards.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

What sucks about midi-chlorians is it takes the whole farmboy plucked from obscurity mythos out of it. So many myths tells us that you can be a lowly no one and rise to be somebody based on your hard work and how far you are willing to go. The Force Germs now tell us that you're either born with it or you aren't, and there's nothing you can do about it.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He was Vader's son even in the OT. I think it was always a birthright.

Yar on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

BUt without Midichlorians he wouldn't have been able to assign characters a power level to show how fuckawesome they were!

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    It's hard to pick apart the pod race when it's almost more of a symptom of the problem mentioned before, anakin being to young, than specifically an issue itself. although it does go on too long.

the real issue is, you can't show him reasonably in a space battle because of his age. you can't reference experience, like Luke did, because he's too young.

kid was just too fucking young, as was said a few pages ago and I'm sure echoed a few times.

They could have made him a prodigy. When Tiger Woods was golfing on the Mike Douglas Show at age 2 it was amazing, but obviously believable. If audiences could accept Doogie Howser as a 14 year old doctor on Earth, they could probably accept a 10 year old pilot in a magic space galaxy far, far away.

Instead with Anakin, we're told that he's a prodigy, with unheard of Midichlorians and that he's a nexus of the Force. But then he's shown as just some incredibly lucky Clouseau-esque bumbler. It's a problem that wouldn't have existed if they'd just made him good, the pilot equivalent of a Tiger Woods or Doogie Howser.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think within the next 10 years someone will step up and remake the new trilogy from scratch, maybe the next 20 years after Lucas is dead in the ground and we're all a happier people. And maybe some side movies to, you dont HAVE to have three movies to tell a story you know.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    The problem is the "expanded" in "expanded universe". Some shit doesn't need to be explained. If there's a magic life force that functions like voodoo in fiction... it's ok. Because it's fiction. Not everything needs to be scientifically explained.

Explaining it doesn't necessarily add to anything but neither does it detract. The fan objection to it is so transparently "Oh no! They changed something!" and I can't get that worked up about a change that affects so little. If the movie were there and functioning as a movie I would barely have noticed it.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What sucks about midi-chlorians is it takes the whole farmboy plucked from obscurity mythos out of it. So many myths tells us that you can be a lowly no one and rise to be somebody based on your hard work and how far you are willing to go. The Force Germs now tell us that you're either born with it or you aren't, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Something else that sucks about midichlorians (aside from the bullshit "HE'S OVER 9,000!" assertions about Anakin) is that Star Wars was really fantasy in space, not science fiction. As such, the Force as magic was perfectly acceptable, hell, necessary, for the setting. The Force as energy generated by plankton that exist symbiotically within the cells of certain people is appropriate for a science fiction setting, not for Star Wars.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think within the next 10 years someone will step up and remake the new trilogy from scratch, maybe the next 20 years after Lucas is dead in the ground and we're all a happier people. And maybe some side movies to, you dont HAVE to have three movies to tell a story you know.

But the epic trilogy is one of the greatest movie formats of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »

Something else that sucks about midichlorians (aside from the bullshit "HE'S OVER 9,000!" assertions about Anakin) is that Star Wars was really fantasy in space, not science fiction. As such, the Force as magic was perfectly acceptable, hell, necessary, for the setting. The Force as energy generated by plankton that exist symbiotically within the cells of certain people is appropriate for a science fiction setting, not for Star Wars.

And something that resulst in explanations like "he lost his limbs so he had less midichlorians in his body and thus less power".

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A stealth Jedi game set during the (ugh) Vhong or w.e it is war would be fuckawesome. First person, because that's how the hardcore roll. Rapid orbital entry to remain undetected, and slipping stealthily through their camps. Stealth attack takedowns with the force and general physics trickery to pass through obstacles and distract guards.

And fuck lightsabers, we need lightdaggers! Or I guess lightsabers set to a lower frequency or whatever. Then again, they're loud as fuck. Stealth kills would be hard. So... vibro weapons would see some light finally?

Basically, I'm sick and tired of all games, even KotOR, paint Jedi to be one-man armies in the sense they can literally face armies. This one-sidedness is getting old.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think its easy to know hes lost the plot when he says that Obi and Vader only had a slow, non-flippy fight because they were fucking old to excuse his ridiculous choreography.

Then has Yoda and Palpatine have a fucking flippy fight.

This bothered me throughout the prequels. Every fight to come after Episode 1 was acrobatic and insane, and even the non-combat scenes like when Anakin has the balls to free fall on Coruscant during that chase. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but when the fights were more grounded, and the Jedi's physical abilities were only a little supplemented by the force, I enjoyed them more. The big fight of RotS was too over the top to impress me. It's like there's a line when awesome turns silly, and they crossed it.

The problem (that some comic book movies lately have been sharing) is that when the fight breaks the laws of physics and involve poorly defined superpowers, it's hard to get invested in the details of the fight since the outcome will feel random to the viewer. In a real-world movie with a barfight, it's more engaging to the viewer because we understand punches, kicks, and that if someone breaks a bottle, it's serious business.

With a variety of superpowers, including gravity defiance, the viewer feels like anything is possible, so any outcome seems arbitrary. The "high ground" thing is a classic example. Based on the movies, it seems like there are a thousand ways Anakin could have handled the situation, like circle strafing. Another example is the recent Hulk movie, where I had no idea if he was invulnerable, and if not, what object would actually hurt him enough to knock him out.

CG gives movies the ability to show us anything, but filmmakers are still struggling with how to use this properly in movies to service the plot and create exciting action. The same thing happened in the 60's when the Production Code was lifted and movies could suddenly have all the sex, violence, and drugs they wanted. It took them damn near a decade to figure out how to use these new tools properly. Lucas's movies were at the forefront of the CG revolution, and he screwed up a lot of things as a result.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I wanted a stealth-action game starring Wraith Squadron as soon as I read it. Everything's already there:

- there's infiltration, sabotage, and undercover intelligence missions, in addition to flying around in starfighters.
    - there's demolitions experts, hackers (slicers), hand to hand experts, medics, snipers, masters of disguise, etc. - even a member with some Force ability.

And then you top it off with the whole Dirty Dozen angle with likeable, developed characters and ready-made missions. It's like it was born to be a video game.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Han totally shot first.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »

My biggest problem with the midichlorians is precisely that they took away from the mystical qualities of the Force. In Empire, Yoda makes this statement:

"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. It's energy surrounds us... and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Yet in the prequels it's show than the Force is in fact rooted in the crude matter of Force germs. It takes away the mystical qualities and replaces them with power-level bullshit.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    I think its easy to know hes lost the plot when he says that Obi and Vader only had a slow, non-flippy fight because they were fucking old to excuse his ridiculous choreography.

Then has Yoda and Palpatine have a fucking flippy fight.

This bothered me throughout the prequels. Every fight to come after Episode 1 was acrobatic and insane, and even the non-combat scenes like when Anakin has the balls to free fall on Coruscant during that chase. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but when the fights were more grounded, and the Jedi's physical abilities were only a little supplemented by the force, I enjoyed them more. The big fight of RotS was too over the top to impress me. It's like there's a line when awesome turns silly, and they crossed it.

The problem (that some comic book movies lately have been sharing) is that when the fight breaks the laws of physics and involve poorly defined superpowers, it's hard to get invested in the details of the fight since the outcome will feel random to the viewer. In a real-world movie with a barfight, it's more engaging to the viewer because we understand punches, kicks, and that if someone breaks a bottle, it's serious business.
    I'd say the problem goes beyond movie special effects, and is an inherent problem of the fantasy genre. Some fantasy works have what I would call "hard fantasy" where, like DnD, they make a lot of effort to explain how the magic works and what it's rules are, in great detail. Others are "soft fantasy" where like the original star wars movies, you see the magic in action but they never really explain it to you at all. Doing it the second way leads to us being confused and uninterested, for all the reasons you said. But doing it the first way causes contradictions (because magic doesn't work, so eventually any rules you make up will contradict reality), and leads to endless nerd debates like "how come Vader doesn't use force lightning" or "who is stronger, the hulk or the thing". Harry Potter handled it really well- we get to see a lot of details about the magic, but there's no clear set of rules about what can and can't be done, so the author gets a lot of flexability. Although Avada Kevadra was completely imbalanced.

/nerd off.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nerf Voldemort

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

They could have made him a prodigy. When Tiger Woods was golfing on the Mike Douglas Show at age 2 it was amazing, but obviously believable. If audiences could accept Doogie Howser as a 14 year old doctor on Earth, they could probably accept a 10 year old pilot in a magic space galaxy far, far away.

Instead with Anakin, we're told that he's a prodigy, with unheard of Midichlorians and that he's a nexus of the Force. But then he's shown as just some incredibly lucky Clouseau-esque bumbler. It's a problem that wouldn't have existed if they'd just made him good, the pilot equivalent of a Tiger Woods or Doogie Howser.

good call, I agree.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

The Force Is Strong With This One has the exact same effect. exact.

Variable on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I fully expect this to happen, especially considering the reboot that Star Trek got recently.

In fact, I would love to see a radical Star Wars re-imagining. That would be fascinating.

I wouldn't expect it until 2025 or 2030, though.* The world needs to change some more. Kids need to grow up. The older guys who knew and loved the original star wars need to die off (or get too old to influence the new one). And the new movie would be created with the new second-quarter 21st century world in it's mind.

God damn, I can't believe I'm thinking that far out. It seems like such a long time.
    ...Ago.
    In a galaxy far far away.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One thing Lucas touched on and failed to put emphasis on with Anakin in the prequels was his turn to the Dark Side being influenced by politics. It gets touched on in Episode 3, but ultimately it's still about "MAH LOVER."

Anakin could've been a better character if he sorta had the same idea as Reven. Disagree with the council, wanting to influence a war directly. If that could've been his distrust or, more accurately, distaste of the Jedi Order, and the whole shit with Padme goes to the backburner, it would've been more convincing. Having Padme as the last straw, and not the point of heckling to turn, would've been alright I think. As long as the card was played in a manner that would've painted the Emperor in an even darker shade. Like, "Oh, he IS willing to go there."

Alas. What we have is shit. And Lucas loves black and white with no gray-area.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.