As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

advice needed about college and so forth

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
basically, I'm 26 starting college this spring (January). I'm excited because I know precisely what I'm going for and all the good stuff. Problem is I'm a bit affraid of not being able to make many friends. Being that I'm not 19, I figure now is simply the wrong time to be going and I missed my chance (well, for a college social life that is). I'm very good with people and excellent at actually making friends, but I feel I may be out of place a bit. Is this a rational thing to be concerned with?

as far as my living situation will be, I'll be a small distance (definitely within walking distance) to the campus. Most of my friends are 19-25 and I'm not sure if this feeling is justified.

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    26 isn't too old to make friends at college unless you'd outgrown all the people you meet

which you won't have

you'll be fine

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hmmm, that brings me to another question then. Since I won't be living on campus, what kinds of chances will I have while at school to meet people? I know college is structered differently than high school so that's why I ask. I definitely plan to throw some good parties, but before that happens I wanna know what it'll be like.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    talk to people in class

if you smoke, talk to smoking people

join clubs

go to parties

ask girls working at the book store if they want to go out

it's pretty much the same as outside of college

Raneados on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got 26-year old friends at uni and I'm only 19 (18 until recently) so it's not exactly weird. Besides, I can't really tell the differences in age in my year anyway and there's a range of pretty much 18-28.

Daxon on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had people in my major that were mid 30s, mid 40s, and mid 50s (they were a minority, obviously). It was never awkward to communicate with them, and by graduation I just thought of them as fellow students, except with kids of their own.

I made pretty good friends with a guy 4 years older than me, we still hang out.

If you don't treat other people in an weird way because you are a few years older than them, neither will they. I mean Christ, you're 26, not 76. Just regale them with tales of the Sega-Nintendo console wars, and they will ooh and ahh.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    sounds good to me. I just maybe had the wrong idea of how the social part of college worked. I always had the mentality that if you simply weren't the standard age you'd stick out and not have the easiest time getting into social groups and what not.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    College is nothing like highschool. There's no cliques, no cool kids, no outcasts. I found that if you're just social and friendly, you'll meet plenty of people.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, college is one of the few places where age doesn't matter. Well, it doesn't anywhere, but there's a perception elsewhere.

As long as you get out there through clubs and events, you'll find interesting people.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    College is also not like the movies. Unless you make it that way, in which case, you'll get thrown out (I'm looking at you, Van Wilder)

For instance, when I moved into the dorms, I seriously had NO idea what to expect - it wasn't party central like I thought, it was actually really quiet.

Classes are also very non-committal - you won't be forced to go unless you make yourself, so be sure to be disciplined and stick to it. Going to class is the only way you're going to get some value out of it.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Join clubs that you're interested in. Ditto for club sports. Especially ultimate frisbee. The learning curve is not steep, even if you've never touched a disc before, and ultimate teams are always full of cool people and cute girls. And pretty much every college has an ultimate team.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm 25 years old and in College and let me be the first to say that you wont have any problems meeting new people. In fact, being older haves some advantages; I.E. it's easier to hit on TA's and communicate with professors.

The only major disadvantage is that while you're in a sea of teenage girls, the dating pool for you is a bit shallow; unless you don't mind dating 7 years below your age. Even so, there's plenty of women who're, at the least, at the drinking age.

Some minor disadvantages includes being stuck with 18 years old unmotivated lab partners and trying to remember stuff from way back in HS that haves no purpose outside of academia (two spaces after the period?! Who cares?!).

But take my word, you'll have no problems at college. If anything you'll be at an advantage because you know exactly what you want and not simply going to college because it's something you do after H.S. .

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    College is nothing like highschool. There's no cliques, no cool kids, no outcasts. I found that if you're just social and friendly, you'll meet plenty of people.

What college did you go to? That hasn't been my experience.

To the OP, people will see right through if you've got an agenda (not saying you do/don't, just making the point). Just be honest/yourself and you should find a group of perfectly normal/sane folks like yourself. There will also be groups of weird/nerd/goth/insertstereotypehere folks around campus. Some are pretty cool, others less so. It's all subjective of course. Just relax and have fun.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    26 is totally in the normal range. You'll have no problems making friends. Most people will not even be able to tell by sight that you are older than 20. People are generally bad at guessing ages.

The only issue will be yourself. If you think that everyone is childish and you are a fish out of water you will have problems. If you go into the situation with enthusiasm and an open mind you will be fine.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of my best friends my first year out at college (which I started when I was 17) was 26, turning 27. S'all good, it didn't even come up at all for a long time.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What college did you go to? That hasn't been my experience.

Yeaaaah, for me anyway, college was almost exactly like highschool, except no one knew me and I could get a fresh start at making friends instead of trying to work against negative stigma that had been following me since first grade. There are still cliques and cool kids and outcasts, but the pool being that much bigger in a school means that there IS a clique for you that you will be accepted in.

I don't understand why people think there will be "no cliques" as they get older. Humans being the social beings they are will ALWAYS have cliques and groups. It's just that in grade school we are isolated from the rest of the world where you can find other people who will accept you.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2009

:^:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm just about to start my second year of university. I'm 30, virtually all of my uni friends are 20. It's never been an issue for me.

Seol on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't find out untill knowing the guy for almost a full year that he was 7 years older than I was. I also became very close friends with a grad student who taught a class my freshman year. A few other upper classmen friends didn't know how young I was until it came up almost a year after knowing them.
    Again; doesn't matter.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's only a problem if you are such a complete and utter social outcast that nobody can relate to you.

Otherwise.. you'll be fine.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Clubs are highly recommended.

Hitting on TAs is NOT recommended. For serious, you can get in trouble for this. I was a TA while getting my Master's and we had nice little workshops about just how academic the process for kicking me out of the program was if I got inappropriate with students I was involved in teaching.

One other thing and I'm sorry for being a real downer amidst all this encouragement but it should be said that being a part of under age drinking is also not a good idea. I was one of the first guys in my dorm back in undergrad to turn 21 (thus meaning alcohol could be present in my room provided it was mine). I quickly found that I was the "owner" of a bottle of Jack, an assortment of vodkas and a few cases of Natural Ice. People threw up in my room and I got to have a nice sit down with my RAs and Campus Life and security. Granted I went to a sort of small college but still, just a heads up.

Other than that the typical "Be yourself" advice applies. You seem like you're putting effort into this and college so that bodes well for you. Good luck!

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Clubs, clubs, and more clubs. My friend Josh is one of the most socially-akward people I know and, by joining clubs, has met a lot of cool people at college. So look at what different clubs your college offers, and go to as many that interest you. The best part is that you know you are going to share at least a few interests in common.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most of my friends in Uni were older, in the 25-30 range. Some were in their 40's. I started when I was 17.

Don't worry about finding friends. Uni's one of the best places for it. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    well being that every single person is saying it'll be all good, that does make me feel better about the idea. The thing is, i'm very good with social settings and I make friends very easily so that part of me was never worried, it was more just because...well I'm 26, 27 soon and that's not something I can change.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just keep yourself aware of surroundings. If you end up at a gathering with underage folks and there is alcohol present, you need to leave. Being the only one of age, you just supplied all those kids with booze. Its stupid, and a ridiculous judgment for cops to make on the spot but it happens all the time.

I'm not saying don't go out and have fun and party, but you need to assess the risk involved.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    t_catt11t_catt11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eyep, you'll be fine. 26 is far from too old for college. You'll find a lot more people closer to your age than you are expecting.

The fact that it is NOT high school is precisely what wil work in your favor.

t_catt11 on
    Santa4Me.com: Personalized letters from Santa Claus!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]