As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fifa 10 it's out! Sorry, no Liverpool balloon :(

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
250px-FIFA_10_Cover.jpg

MLS'd, I mean American Cover:
FIFA-10-Box-Art.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiPsVUPo1Ys&fmt=22&annotation_id=annotation_712947&feature=iv

The demo is out in Europe and Australia. Comes out tomorrow for North America!

Generally Boring Info

FIFA 10 is the latest instalment of Electronic Arts' FIFA series of football video games. Developed by EA Canada, it is published by Electronic Arts worldwide under the EA Sports label.

The game will be released on 1 October 2009 in Australia, 2 October 2009 in Europe, and 20 October 2009 in North America. It will be available for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and Wii. Versions of the game will also be released for the iPhone and iPod Touch, Nintendo DS, Nokia N-Gage, PlayStation Portable, and mobile phones.

Let us take a moment and pause about the part I have in bold font. I hope wikipedia isn't lying to me.

Generally Subtle Improvements

The Manager Mode for FIFA 10 has been revamped and has had a many issues and criticisms addressed, with over 50 key improvements.[9] Among these improvements are:
The transfer system will be more authentic, as money is not the monopolizing factor in acquiring a player. The acceptance of the offer will be based on factors such as the number of players in your squad in the same position, and the promise of higher-level competition outside the domestic league, such as the Europa League or Champions League. Furthermore, obtaining a player will be more realistically prolonged as the player must deal with competition from other clubs. Bids can be submitted for several different players, and if the clubs accept, the player has the choice of which of the players to ultimately sign.

Financial matters will be based less on a team sponsor and more on the board of directors, who will provide two overall budgets: The wage budget, a yearly amount for paying players, and the club budget, for buying and selling players, as well as making other improvements to the club. There will be a "Board Difficulty" setting, in which players can decide how generous the board is financially.

The "Player Experience and Growth System" has also changed. The manual experience growth from FIFA 08 and FIFA 09 have been abolished; player growth will now be determined by in-game performance, demands placed on the player, and achievements based on the player's particular position. There will be three categories for gaining experience: mental, physical, and skill. Younger players with higher potential will gain experience much faster, and each player will have an individual growth point, which in turn promises more authentic player growth patterns.

Results for simulated non-user matches will be more heavily based on team strength and not appear as "random" as has been the case in the past. This will result in more realistic performances and eliminate instances where stronger clubs were fighting relegation and clubs with weaker players were winning the league.

A "Live Season" feature has been implemented within Manager Mode. As players' forms rise and fall based on performance (within Manager Mode itself rather than real-world events), players will receive a temporarily higher or lower rating along with temporarily higher or lower stats to implicate the authenticity of player form.

Kit numbers can now be edited on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii versions.

Players' fatigue will be more authentic and realistic, eliminating the problem where lower-level teams suffer from low energy levels throughout a series of matches.

The artificial intelligence of other teams across the Manager Mode world has been improved significantly. Opposing clubs will rotate players more often based on factors such as fatigue, player form, and even the relative importance of a match, so the lineup for a top team in the early rounds of a domestic cup may consist of lower-level and younger players as opposed to a full-strength squad.

"Total Football Experience" will be a new feature in which football news around the Manager Mode world will be visible, including player transfers, fixtures and results in foreign leagues.

The "Set-Piece Creator" allows instructions to be assigned to specific players at a set-piece. It is not known yet whether this will be available on online play, as revealed by producer David Rutter.

The new "Assistant Manager" will take care of the line-up and rotate the team's squad based on importance of the upcoming match. For example, if the next match is against a low rated team, he will make sure that players that normally are on the bench will play.

Pre-season friendlies will be introduced to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game, which will be organized by the club's Assistant Manager for a chance to flatten out any wrinkles in a club's lineup before the domestic season begins.

Fictional players that are added to manager mode now have regionalised names. For example, players from Brazil will not have English-sounding names like James Smith and players from England will not have Portuguese-sounding names like Flávio de Oliveira.

This is of course in addition to the any roster updates/added teams (I will dominate with the Seattle Sounders).

Other minor updates:

EA's Game Face has been added into Fifa 10 as well if you are into that sort of thing.
'360' Control instead of the 8 point system past Fifa's have had.
You can use your Be-A-Pro created character in manager mode.
Each region gets it's own cover for Fifa 10.

Generally What I Say Is Fact

Yes, I am aware Pro Evo exist. Yes, I am aware it does certain things better than Fifa. However, do not bring your 'lolz ea sux' up in here. I be busting heads erry day.

I for one am VERY excited about Fifa 10. I play Fifa 09 on a daily basis and if Fifa 10 does nothing but build upon what Fifa 09 had to offer, sign me up.

Generally We Should Play Over The Internets

Game may not be out yet, but it's no more than 35ish days away so let's get those gamertags! If we can get the people, I vote we get a team together for the online Be-A-Pro feature.

Xbox Live

projectmayhem - Decasshern
Cristo - Jay2thebizzle
saint2e - s41nt2e
liquidlogan - liquidlogan360

PSN

No Great Name - Nogreatname

Those of you that have the demo, how is it?

projectmayhem on

• Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love the crossing and passing in the demo, so much slicker than Fifa 09. Tackling and jostling has been improved too it feels like, but I need to get used to shooting. Apparently 2 bars isn't enough for long range shots anymore :P

Jay2thebizzle is my GT but I won't be playing online for the next academic year as my University campus doesn't allow Xbox 360's on the network for some retarded reason. Guess I'll have to kick your butt in FIFA 11 >: (

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Your University is stupid!

I can not wait to get my hands on the demo tomorrow. How is the '360' control? Does it work how I think it should work or does it work in the realm of what EA determines to be 360 degrees?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll have a look at the demo when it comes up.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will be playing on the ps3. Because I do not enjoy paying to play online.

Nogreatname

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also demo impressions, it's nice to be able to muscle people off the ball, more shots seem to stay low, also most of the time the power meter doesn't show up? Is this because I'm choosing "Experienced"? I'm pretty sure my 09 was set at intermediate.

I find it harder to clear balls on defense, even though they said they increased the defenses urgency in clearing.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    where you guys find the demo?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802454108bc/

That is the marketplace page and all it has is the video trailer. Wanted to queue up that demo when I saw this thread. Or is it because I'm in the USA?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's been out on euro psn for like a week so I got it from there.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    where you guys find the demo?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802454108bc/

That is the marketplace page and all it has is the video trailer. Wanted to queue up that demo when I saw this thread. Or is it because I'm in the USA?

Comes out tomorrow for those of us in North America.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm excited for this, as I played lots of FIFA 09 for PS3 while living in Italy last year, but... Here in America I only have my trusty Wii and my PC. Will both versions (in their own ways) be super-gimped this year as well? Are either going to be worth it to me? Can you do the Live Season on either of those versions?

FIFA 09 DS was pretty rad as well, to be honest.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fifa 10 demo is ok, a bit too similar to 09 for my liking, but not a bad game at all.

Apparently the PES 2010 demo will be available tomorrow in Europe, it'll be interesting to how it compares.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I had a huge HUGE thing typed out of my impressions. Then I hit the back button.

Basically it's an improved Fifa 09. There isnt anything here (from what I can tell) that hurts what Fifa 09 built. The game feels less jerky and dribbling feels a lot better. Crosses are a lot more dangerous. Maybe later I will post more. So depressed about that silly back button.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pumped for Fifa 10.

Gamertag on Xbox Live: s41nt2e

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did they tone down the thru balls to one of 2-3 players that is abused over and over and over by 90% of the online player base by any chance?

SamuraiGatts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Played 3 matches on the demo using Marseille versus Bayern, Barca, and the Fire. All of them ended 0-0 with me winning on penalties.

I can't wrap my head around the really REALLY sluggish defending. For all the hype they've done regarding the "improved" defending, I wonder how bad it was before. Defending against a cross is like a dice throw every time. Say one of my players gets the unlucky task of actually chesting the ball down. Me mashing the SHOOT button so he can clear it somehow means that he wants to pass it out to Barcelona's open striker.

Ahh, charge meters for passes. How I loathe you so much. I thought FIFA stopped using them? They're really stupid. Through balls have charge meters. Shooting requires a charge meter. It's retarded. The required meters SLOWS DOWN THE GAME.

The graphics aren't that impressive. As much as I wanted to see the emotion on the players faces, the most I got to see was a close up of Rensing yelling to his defenders after a corner kick. Also, much hate for the 3min halves forced on everyone for the demo. How can one experience a demo with such short fucking halves?

All in all, I'm not getting this game. I have way more fun playing PES '07 or FM '09 right now.

Arikado on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nobody answered my questions, but I assume that you guys just don't know about the PC or Wii versions, since anyone who's serious about this will presumably play on 360 or PS3. I would too, if I had the systems. I've heard that the FIFA 10 PC demo is absolute crap, so I'm not gonna bother there, but I'm downloading the PES 10 PC demo that came out today to check that out. I'm a bigger fan of FIFA, but I'll give either one a shot.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd check out the PES one but I'm limiting myself to one footie game and that is FM for the time being.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The defending thing is rather odd. At times I am amazed by the effort the CPU puts out when defending yet other times it looks like they learned how to defend watching the mls. Charge meters don't bother me because I don't look at them, I suppose that's just a product of being familer with the 360 controller and fifa.

Side note, I got the pes demo and I can't believe that the game has progressivly gotten worse since the ps2 pes games.

The through ball problem has kinda been solved. The biggest change gameplay wise is the physical play which most of the time works as you think it should. Playing as barca, I tries through balling to messi quite a bit and it's pretty easy for a defender to catch back up with him and fight him off the ball.

I'm happy with the direction FIFA is going. There for sure could be more improvments but I expect those to sadly come in FIFA 11.

I am curious to see how different manager mode is and how the gameplay tweaks will work online.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    samuel3132samuel3132 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Fifa game is always great.
    I have played Fifa 09 and i am really looking forward to the fifa 10 as i heard that it will be more exciting and more attractive than the 09 edition.But whatever it would be fifa 10 rockzz

samuel3132 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    The graphics aren't that impressive.

The player models on the PES 2010 demo are much better than FIFA 10's, FIFA's animations are better than PES though.

I'm in two minds about the PES demo, it's a step up from 2009 but not a massive step up.
    I think it will have more a lot depth tactically than FIFA, but if the online is crap again it's just not going to get anywhere.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've played the demo, and I definitely like it. My only complaint is the one I usually have against FIFA, and that's that it buggers my eyes. The default camera angles are balls, and I'm red/green colour blind, which for some reason always fucks me up in FIFA. I think it's the shade of green they use, combined with a generally darker palette and the zoomed out camera. I lose track of the ball constantly. Doesn't happen to me in PES, as it uses generally brighter colours.

If you can adjust the camera zoom in the full game, I might pick it up.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not a big soccer guy, so the demo has been a bit difficult to get used to. My biggest problems so far are:

1. Successfully executing a cross
    2. Corner kicks
    3. Shooting

If I charge the meter, my kicks always go over the net. If I only tap the button, they stay low but slow. Same for headers and anything else. I'm also not sure how to aim my shots. I was hoping for an NHL 09/10 skill stick, where ball handling and shooting were tied together, but that's not really the case here.

Also, what the fuck is a through ball? And when/how should I use it?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A through ball is a pass into the space inbetween the defenders and the goalkeeper for an attacking player to run on to.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    A through ball is a pass into the space inbetween the defenders and the goalkeeper for an attacking player to run on to.

Is that what I should be using when I want to cross the ball to a shooter in the box?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm not a big soccer guy, so the demo has been a bit difficult to get used to. My biggest problems so far are:

1. Successfully executing a cross
    2. Corner kicks
    3. Shooting

If I charge the meter, my kicks always go over the net. If I only tap the button, they stay low but slow. Same for headers and anything else. I'm also not sure how to aim my shots. I was hoping for an NHL 09/10 skill stick, where ball handling and shooting were tied together, but that's not really the case here.

Also, what the fuck is a through ball? And when/how should I use it?

Through ball:
    It's a ball passed ahead of the player so they can run up to it full stride. A normal pass usually slows down when it gets to the player, which in turn makes the player stop his run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ANPOVB_j0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Notice how the ball is passed in front of the player so he can run up to it instead of a normal pass. (I assume you are playing on 360) If you hold LB while pressing Y for a through pass, you will do a lob pass through ball (through pass that goes in the air).

Something to remember about shooting that Fifa picked up from the old PES games is that the game takes into account your body position and momentum. Meaning if you are running straight at goal full speed with no other players around you and you hold shoot for about 1 second, you are going to hit the hell out of that ball and it will be on frame. Now let's say your guy is in the penalty box and receives a pass with his back to the goal. If the first thing you do after receiving the pass is press shoot, your guy will attempt to turn on the ball and take a shot, but he will be off balance and the ball will most likely be far off from the goal.

It does take a bit to find the 'sweet spot' thats in between crazy hard shot and lightly poking it the ball. Once you find it though, it's not to hard to put all of your shots on frame.

Same deal for crosses when it comes to body position and momentum. In Fifa 10 crosses have a wicked curve on them, so you have to adjust for that.

Corner kicks are something you just have to mess with. They changed the camera angle on them this year so it's taking me a bit to find where to 'aim' to be able to get the ball where I want it.

@Ashcroft, under the camera options there are sliders to adjust the zoom of the camera, they are however blocked out in the demo for whatever reason.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I... I'm going to admit it. I always take short corners because I cannot for the life of me do regular ones.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've always thought the set pieces in FIFA were kinda iffy, but I think that can be put down to me playing a ridiculous amount of PES for the last 10 years.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Corners you can do this:

Hold LT (this gives the kick a curve)
    If it's going to be an in swinger kick, press the left analog stick right until it looks like you are going to kick the ball straight out to the center half circle, kick the ball at a little over half power.
    It it's out swinger, you dont have to change the direction at all really, just kick it at a little over half power.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So, how does one aim a normal shot? On the rare chances I get one on net, it's always driven straight into the keeper's body. I'd like to be able to curve some long balls and use the opposite foot when in close. That, or kick it just above the charging/diving keeper as he attempts to steal the ball off my foot.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    With the left stick.
    So you press shoot, and during the animation of your guy kicking, point the left stick where you want the ball to go. Again a lot of this is dependent on body position and momentum. But thats the basic idea of it. You can also hold RB when you shoot for a more controlled shot with more curve.

edit

Whoa snap. They added the ability to nutmeg. In fifa 09 I would just do a short through ball to myself but in fifa 10 you can use the right stick when close to the defending player. Awesome.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    neophilusneophilus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love FIFA '09 but I think I'll skip 10 and wait for the World Cup edition that will inevitably come out. I would buy 10 if they had any decent tournament modes. I love the league season modes in '09 but its painfully obvious they omitted any realistic tournaments to sell more copies of World Cup and UEFA Champions editions. I know nobody cares about MLS in the rest of the world but I was disappointed that the MLS Cup tournament was so poorly thrown together.

neophilus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just went back and played some Fifa 09 for the first time since getting the demo. Wow. It's amazing how 'off' it feels. It's still enjoyable but all of the play feels so much more unrealistic. Not to say Fifa 10 will be perfect, I was just surprised by how much of a difference I could tell.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Played both FIFA 10 and PES 2010, after being a staunch PS2 PES fan. FIFA 10 is easily the better football game, it looks and plays like football. PES 2010 looks and plays like PES from 6 years ago. Which is was great at the time, but FIFA is playing the better football.

That said, it's nice to be able to play PES like old times. If I want to play PES, PES 2010 fits the bull.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    neophilus wrote: »
    I love FIFA '09 but I think I'll skip 10 and wait for the World Cup edition that will inevitably come out. I would buy 10 if they had any decent tournament modes. I love the league season modes in '09 but its painfully obvious they omitted any realistic tournaments to sell more copies of World Cup and UEFA Champions editions. I know nobody cares about MLS in the rest of the world but I was disappointed that the MLS Cup tournament was so poorly thrown together.

Yeah I miss the days of FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup, where you had clubs and country tournaments.

But then they got greedy >: (

So far I like the FIFA 10 demo, and according to the little tidbits after the match there will be a full practice arena PLUS you can make your OWN set pieces for 8 different areas of the pitch. Christ that's something that's been lacking since fucking FIFA 04 or 05, can't see why they ever left that out.

OH and, according to some peeps I spoke to, they reckon that the FIFA 10 demo is actually a 6 month old build based on some various glitches and bugs that should have been fixed and whatnot.

I mean they weren't particularly clear on their sources, but it's not completely unlikely.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    there's going to be a wc edition?

They already use the Wc ball in the demo, and play in the wc finals stadium

I mean, I'd love to have more national sides, also ones that make sense.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    there's going to be a wc edition?

They already use the Wc ball in the demo, and play in the wc finals stadium

I mean, I'd love to have more national sides, also ones that make sense.

Well, there's been a Euro or WC edition since 2002, so I don't see why they would change it now.

Incidentally I own all of the Euro/WC Editions :P

They usually bring something new to the game, but more as a gimmicky thing mostly. For example the EURO 2008 game introduced the idea of Be A Pro and FIFA Club (although not online), which was then implemented to great success in FIFA 09.

Cristo on
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This new engine feels so much better already. And yeah I've come across a few bugs, like when the other team made a sub after I scored, it skipped the replay. I'm sure this stuff is ironed out in the final build though.

My favourite thing is the new referee: I hit the ball into him on purpose now just to see him struggle to get out of the way.

Oh also, context-specific commentary. I did the robot after I scored and Tyler goes, "Well, he finishes with a robotic celebration, but there was nothing robotic about that finish". :D

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I was playing last night and the referee was in the way twice, but the first time he skipped over the ball and the second time he parted his legs and let the ball roll through.

Another thing is that corners seem to be a lot more efficient, and I feel like I can place the corners a LOT better than I ever could in FIFA 09. Crosses also seem to be a lot better.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One thing I hope is fixed:

Keepers come out way to far and without any player input telling them to do so. If the CPU understands how to exploit that with chip shots, you can be damn sure the online gameplay will be plagued by it.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    that's how 50% of goals are currently scored against me in the demo

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png