As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend me] Bad Horror

KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm doing a research project on horror. Specifically bad bad B movie horror. Thing is, I know next to nothing about horror and am a total wimp when it comes to scary stuff. Please reccomend me some terrible hilariously bad horror, preferably with the murderer in a house (haunted or otherwise). Thanks!

Killgrimage on

• Options
    StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well the Evil Dead series represents the king of all B movies.

Most good horror films have a B quality to them. You have some classics like the Exorcist and the Shining, but most don't win alot of Oscars. Here's 5 great films that are at the same time suitably cheesy.

Evil Dead 2
    Dead Alive
    Return of the Living Dead
    The Thing
    Demon Knight

StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slumber Party Massacre.

All of them.

That's right. It's a series.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Two movies trying to be bad:

Toxic Avenger
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

No discussion of "B horror" is complete without these two films.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    These are some great suggestions, I've loved the Evil Dead series since I was a kid (though I realize now I never really put it in the catagory of "horror" but more dark comedy). Dead Alive is also great.

The stuff I'm looking for is actually more "scary bad man in a house killing off people one by one, possibly with a chainsaw or other weapon" type of horror, I think. I definately don't want any good crap like the Shining.

Edit: Oh crap, there's actually a name for what I want. Slasher films, please.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Motel Hell is a good one, all sorts of bad but still quirky enough to be good.

If you can get your hands on any of the Meat Market series, watch them. They're just terrible.

Zombi 2 and 3, or most anything by Fulci is a blast. Really gory stuff.

Edit: Just read the above post. Motel Hell is a good slasher flick. The others, not so much.

Also, maybe Henry: Portriat of a Serial Killer. I think there was a sequal too.

Oh. And House. Dingdong, you're dead.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All you need is braindead.

edit: oh slasher films. Problem is, there aren't any "good" B slahers. It's either good ( if you like the genre, i hate it myself) like the original Friday the 13the and Halloween.

But the budget variant are usually just "bad"

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, at least now I know where to start, Friday and Halloween (the first ones, not the crappy sequals/prequals/remakes). I'm going to check out Motel hell, Slumber Part, and Chainsaw Massacre as well. Any others I should be looking into?

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about My Bloody Valentine? I don't recall either the original version or the new one being considered good horror.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    pumpkin head
    puppet master series
    and oh yeah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ukRYsYPmo

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The correct answer is clearly Dog Soldiers.

Though I guess that's to an extent a reversal of 'murders in a house'.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    haha oh jesus, i've not seen this but when looking up the trailer for plan 9 it showed me this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwD4jTo3GE&feature=related

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to slasher flicks? I ask this, because you're missing out on the best/worst of the genre. Slasher flicks are like the romcoms of the horror world.

I Spit on Your Grave is a good reverse-slasher. Victim fucks the bad guys up.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I know they suck, but it's research for a story I'm working on. If it ever sees the light of day, I'll post it here :)

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I remembered a terrible abandoned house/slasher movie, but it involved a genetically engineered monster doing the killing: Carnivore

The movie so bad, that I wished I had spent the $5.00 wasted on it on something else. I couldn't even return it because I didn't want anybody else to know that I had actually bought it.

Nobody on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scream Bloody Murder is one of my favorite shite horror films.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, at least now I know where to start, Friday and Halloween (the first ones, not the crappy sequals/prequals/remakes). I'm going to check out Motel hell, Slumber Part, and Chainsaw Massacre as well. Any others I should be looking into?

sorry, but could you clarify your project just a little more? original post you ask for hilariously bad B and now you are saying start with Halloween???? While there are some dumb elements in the movie, Halloween is a good if not great horror movie.

so you want good or bad slashers? Cause I'm not sure you'd be willing through some of the bad slashers (like unwatchably bad) we could dig up for you if you aren't that familiar with horror or comfortable with the genre. If you are discussing stupidity in the movies in general like the magic teleporting of the killer who was just walking shows up next to the teens truck they drove at least 3 miles down the road we could go that route, but that can exist what can be hailed as "good" and "great" horror movies.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    These are some great suggestions, I've loved the Evil Dead series since I was a kid (though I realize now I never really put it in the catagory of "horror" but more dark comedy). Dead Alive is also great.

The stuff I'm looking for is actually more "scary bad man in a house killing off people one by one, possibly with a chainsaw or other weapon" type of horror, I think. I definately don't want any good crap like the Shining.

Edit: Oh crap, there's actually a name for what I want. Slasher films, please.

Maniac, The Burning, Don't Go in the House, Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, Slumber Party Massacre.

Woo, slashers!

PS: No remakes, ever.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    t_catt11t_catt11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heh... here's a REALLY bad B horror movie - "Chopping Mall". Teens gets locked int he mall after it closes. Security robots go haywire and hunt them down.

Awesomely aweful.

t_catt11 on
    Santa4Me.com: Personalized letters from Santa Claus!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry, in the OP I didn't really know what the genre I was looking for was called, so I just said "horror" because I was looking for movies with "murders in the house" themes. Now I realize those are called "slashers" and I am interested in the elements and common themes that run through them (such as the Final Girl etc). I considered most of the genre to be pretty bad and silly, but I really haven't seen enough to know, thus why I'm going to start with some of the staples of slashers like Halloween.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry, in the OP I didn't really know what the genre I was looking for was called, so I just said "horror" because I was looking for movies with "murders in the house" themes. Now I realize those are called "slashers" and I am interested in the elements and common themes that run through them (such as the Final Girl etc). I considered most of the genre to be pretty bad and silly, but I really haven't seen enough to know, thus why I'm going to start with some of the staples of slashers like Halloween.

Watch Scream. It diagrams exactly what you're looking for.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    What about My Bloody Valentine? I don't recall either the original version or the new one being considered good horror.

The original while not scary had a some really good scenes and the characters worked really well together... that and you couldnt go a single scene without someone drinking some moosehead.

I highly recommend it.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Killer Clowns from Outer Space

OH wait, slasher films...

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So would you say that you're wanting the more notable entries of the slasher genre? Because that's a very different request from just asking for bad horror movies.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    DestroyerOfDreamsDestroyerOfDreams Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I would recommend checking out the FEARnet channel(www.fearnet.com/) for terrible B horror movies. I always pick a random movie(Comcast OnDemand thingy) during LAN parties to play in the background and most of them are hilariously bad. I'm at work and the website is blocked for "Streaming Media" but I would think they would have some kind of movie listing with descriptions for you to check out.

DestroyerOfDreams on
  • Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Black Christmas! Any day of the week. Both versions, both original and remake, are equally tacky and "bad", though thoroughly enjoyable. And Sorority Row (the original, not the new remake)

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [strike]Pretty much anything by Troma films. I particularly enjoyed "Surf Nazis Must Die".[/strike]

Erp..nevermind, just saw you're looking for slasher type films.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Sleepaway Camp series is a hilarious and very stereotypical slasher - gratuitous nudity and a murderer who kills for a moral code. Really this is all you need to know:

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Awww, yeah. This is great guys, I think I have enough reference material (a list as long as my arm) to complete this story!

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GingerDEAD man,

Seriously, I'm not even pretending it is in the "so bad its good" camp. Its just awful.

But you do get your fix of Gary Busey, That movie is now the milestone for all bad movies in my house.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eaten alive is one not mentioned...not sure if anyone mentioned the hitcher either

JeffH on
  • Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    The Leprechaun!

And the pumpkinhead movies

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trinis wrote: »
    The Sleepaway Camp series is a hilarious and very stereotypical slasher - gratuitous nudity and a murderer who kills for a moral code. Really this is all you need to know:

Sadly, I can't find the motivational poster I had about Sleepaway Camp. The series is a good choice for what you're looking for. Some others are:

Madman
    Friday the 13th series
    Blood Feast
    April Fool's Day
    Mother's Day
    Happy Birthday to Me
    Terror Train
    Prom Night
    Silent Night, Deadly Night

...or better yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Slasher_films

Slagmire on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jesus christ people.

Fucking Tobe Fucking Hooper's Fucking Texas Goddamn Chainsaw Fucking Massacre.

Get the fuck with it.

Sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=285ImXTYdsg

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    Jesus christ people.

Get the fuck with it.

Sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=285ImXTYdsg

I thought the title of this thread was "Bad Horror". Eaten Alive was a much worse Tobe Fucking Hooper movie.

Remember Buck?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Jesus christ people.

Get the fuck with it.

Sheesh.

Whee! Trailer!

I thought the title of this thread was "Bad Horror". Eaten Alive was a much worse Tobe Fucking Hooper movie.

Remember Buck?

Whether or not Texas Chainsaw Massacre is good or bad is a debate that probably still continues in film classes everywhere. It has all the hallmarks of "bad" horror, yet it's easily one of the most (if not the most) effective slasher films ever.

When I hear the term "good" horror, I think of stuff like The Exorcist or the original slasher flick, Psycho.

And I've never seen Eaten Alive. I must fix that.

edit: And I've just got to throw this one in, because it's my favorite horror thing ever. It's mainly Mad Science/Paranormal horror, but it has Slasher elements to it. Behold, From Beyond!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcVfZb-m7U&feature=PlayList&p=9705261A3E922F13&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man, From Beyond looks fucking great. You know, I think I'm totally missing out on this area of movie making just because I feel like all the new stuff looks so incredibly awful and hack-y that I should look at this old stuff and see whats up.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The 80's was all about the B Horror flick. The remakes that go out today are just callous attempts by Hollywood to cash in.

Drake on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Leprechaun!

This is also a series

well

more of a saga
    Wiki wrote:
    Leprechaun
    Leprechaun 2
    Leprechaun 3
    Leprechaun 4: In Space
    Leprechaun: In the Hood
    Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The 80's was all about the B Horror flick. The remakes that go out today are just callous attempts by Hollywood to cash in.

There hasn't been one remake of these old 70s-80s horror flicks that I've wanted to watch - and the ones that I had to watch confirmed my initial opinions.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

There hasn't been one remake of these old 70s-80s horror flicks that I've wanted to watch - and the ones that I had to watch confirmed my initial opinions.
    The Black Christmas remake was not bad. It was different from the original in a lot of ways, but that's not a bad thing since it just means both are worthwhile. The new Prom Queen was fucking awful, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970