As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Train Alliance (PAXTrain EAST!)

• sp1tesp1te Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    What line you will be on: Stone
    Name: Eli Mergel (sp1te)
    Boarding Stop: New York City - Penn Station
    Ticket Purchased: N

sp1te on
  • gyrosashgyrosash Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I went through Amtrak.com and looked up pricing for that weekend. I would be coming through the Emerald and going to the Stone line. I found out that it's like $400. Am I doing this wrong/missing a discount/really that poor?

gyrosash on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    when I looked the section from Florence, SC to the destination was $108 one way.

soo... that sounds high?

freakish light on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gyrosash wrote: »
    I went through Amtrak.com and looked up pricing for that weekend. I would be coming through the Emerald and going to the Stone line. I found out that it's like $400. Am I doing this wrong/missing a discount/really that poor?

Certainly does sound high, but I think it might be right if you're fairly far down. I went through the routes real quick, using a start location of Hollywood, CA. (as a furthest-case scenario)

Taking the 98 Silver Meteor (the designated PAX Train) from HOL to WAS was $120 there, $120 in reverse (on the 91 Silver Star or 97 Silver Meteor).

From WAS to BBY on the 176 Northeast Regional is another $87, with an $87 return trip on the 95 Northeast Regional (if you're on the 91 Silver Star return) or the 173 Northeast Regional (if you're on the 97 silver meteor return).

Which comes out to $414 round trip. It's high, and that's worst-case.

Which isn't to say I haven't found a cheaper route...

You can still take the 98 Silver Meteor, but after that, you'd be branching off on your own on the 174 Northeast Regional. After PAX, you'd be taking a scenic route back, passing through New York's Penn Station on your way back south. The round trip is $252, almost half.

Your best bet, I'd think: call them up. Ask about the specific route and train and see if you can get the same deal on the trip there, while still being able to take the scenic route through NY. I'm sure a little ticket delay wouldn't be too big a problem.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
    edited October 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »

Certainly does sound high, but I think it might be right if you're fairly far down. I went through the routes real quick, using a start location of Hollywood, CA. (as a furthest-case scenario)

Taking the 98 Silver Meteor (the designated PAX Train) from HOL to WAS was $120 there, $120 in reverse (on the 91 Silver Star or 97 Silver Meteor).

From WAS to BBY on the 176 Northeast Regional is another $87, with an $87 return trip on the 95 Northeast Regional (if you're on the 91 Silver Star return) or the 173 Northeast Regional (if you're on the 97 silver meteor return).

You can still take the 98 Silver Meteor, but after that, you'd be branching off on your own on the 174 Northeast Regional. After PAX, you'd be taking a scenic route back, passing through New York's Penn Station on your way back south. The round trip is $252, almost half.

Your best bet, I'd think: call them up. Ask about the specific route and train and see if you can get the same deal on the trip there, while still being able to take the scenic route through NY. I'm sure a little ticket delay wouldn't be too big a problem.

Thank you very much, I'll call them first thing in the morning. I'm coming out of Orlando so yeah, the $400 looks accurate unfortunately. I found a flight for $89 roundtrip so I'm going to keep that as a backup. My friend and I would love to join you all on the PAXTrain, but financially it may be a bit more of a stretch than we're able to pull.

gyrosash on
    edited October 2009
    Thank you very much, I'll call them first thing in the morning. I'm coming out of Orlando so yeah, the $400 looks accurate unfortunately. I found a flight for $89 roundtrip so I'm going to keep that as a backup. My friend and I would love to join you all on the PAXTrain, but financially it may be a bit more of a stretch than we're able to pull.

Hey, no problem, and I know what you mean. If it's within your means to take the train, then the northbounders would love to have you! Otherwise, I'm sure they'd understand.

And if you do end up deciding to take the flight instead, maybe you could get in on a little bit of trading card action. :winky:

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you putting in the correct dates? I just ran that trip on Amtrak.com to verify and I got $252 round trip.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited October 2009

Are you putting in the correct dates? I just ran that trip on Amtrak.com to verify and I got $252 round trip.

Is that for two people?
    I'd be booking for my friend and myself, and I think that's where the price jump is.

gyrosash on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Name: David Grempler
    What line you will be on: Stone Line
    Boarding Stop: BWI

Will probably also have my brother-in-law and my sister tagging along. Will know more information later on.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Spartan SamuelSpartan Samuel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gulf Coast's going to be represented! I'd be on the orange line if I went, but I'm still debating whether I'd be flying or riding Amtrak. If I do end up riding the rails, then I want to coordinate it to meet up with the Emerald line while we lay over at Washington for the Stone line. Any advice?

Spartan Samuel on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Just take the suggested train in the OP. I handled all the scheduling for you. All you have to do is get on the right train at the right time and you're golden.

If you're jumping on in New Orleans, just be on the 20 Crescent on March 24 at 07:05 am. For your connecting train, you'll want to be on the 176 Northeast Regional which departs DC at 12:05pm on March 25. This gives you about a 2 hour layover in DC, btw.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2009
    Wait, so we'd buy our tickets through you so that you may schedule our stops, or you're scheduling the stops and we buy the tickets according to the pre-laid plans?

Spartan Samuel on
    edited October 2009
    I schedule the stops, and you buy the tickets according to the pre-laid plans. You can buy your tickets directly through Amtrak.com.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2009
    Thanks, Moe, for collaborating all of this information btw.

Spartan Samuel on
    edited October 2009
    It's what I do

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2009
    Bah, alright I'll do it! Sign me up, honkey. <o>.<o>

What line you will be on: Orange
    Name: Jason
    Boarding Stop: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Side Note: I'm also bringing a good friend of mine.

Spartan Samuel on
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sign me up too.

What Line: Stone
    Name : Dan Rosenthal
    Boarding Stop: Union Station, Washington D.C.
    Ticket Purchased: Doing it now.
    Side Note: Since I'm hopefully doing the third Legal Issues panel, I will be bringing along several law students from DC who are dying to go to PAX, so there will actually be 5 of us in my group.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pearsoncapearsonca Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Name: Carl & Juliet
    Boarding Stop: Union Station, DC
    Ticket Purchased: Y

I also have a spare room, potentially available to someone traveling by train from DC that has some pre-travel to get into town first.

pearsonca on
  • JBob08JBob08 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What line you will be on: Emerald
    Name: Bobby, Mathew, and Mark
    Boarding Stop: Rocky Mount

JBob08 on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Put me in for the blue line. I might be able to swing this ^_^

I do this for PAXTrain West. <3

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited November 2009
    Scored a second buddy to go with me, so make that a tentative two associates of mine pretty please.

Spartan Samuel on
  • Case_HardwellCase_Hardwell Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Not set in stone yet but:

What line you will be on: Lava
    Name: Colin, Eric, Ken (yes 3 of us)
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH

Case_Hardwell on
  • AleemaAleema Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm still debating between this or the Mystery Tour, but ...

Name: Katie
    Boarding Stop: Chicago, IL

Aleema on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaking as someone who has never ridden a train before...how the hell do you sync up and get the right trains?

JonnyNero on
    edited November 2009
    Check the OP for the train you're supposed to be on, at the end of your line, check which train is at the beginning of the next line and take that one. In your case it's the 22 Texas Eagle, which leaves San Antonio at 7am CDT on March 23 (check the spoiler in the op for the station closest to you). You'll take that until it terminates in Chicago on March 24 around 2pm CDT. Unfortunately, yours is one of the longer layovers (7 hours). You will then board the 448 Lake Shore Limited, which departs at 9pm CDT. Then it's off to the Boston Back Bay stop arriving March 25 at about 9pm and PAX PAX PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name: Jon
    Boarding Stop: Union Station, DC

Side Note: May bring a guest if she's able to make it.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There may be a long layover there, but it's for the better to plan for layovers as trains can easily be delayed, especially if you're going over mountains.

The only reason I'm personally debating this trip is because I want to get to Boston earlier then Thursday night. But we'll see.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited November 2009
    I really wish I could have gotten it in earlier, but this was the only way to do it for the most amount of people.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2009
    I'll be in Jonny's boat too, my layover is 9 hours (last I checked) after going from Port Huron to Chicago.

Oh well, the result is the same: PAX PAX PAX!

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
  • TigerDawnTigerDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What line you will be on: Copper
    Name: Tiger
    Boarding Stop: Sacramento, Ca

TigerDawn on
  • TigerDawnTigerDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So we're all getting on this train together. Any ideas what to do for three days? I mean besides get to much experience with our DS's

TigerDawn on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Play whatever you bring. I haven't been on the other train trips, but I know popular choices are card games, board games, twister, rock band, anything someone brought that they can convince others to play.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name: Jay
    Boarding Stop: Elkhart, IN

quietjay on
    Become a Star Citizen
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Posting as I've edited my previous post; I've paid for the ticket.

shit's on.

kaleedity on
  • ChurchesWifeChurchesWife Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I were taking the train down from Buffalo/Niagara Falls is there a connection for me on the stone line anywhere? I'm a liiittle confused as to how this map is working in relation to if I could jump in this or not.

Thanks in advance.
    Ze.

ChurchesWife on
    Call me Ze.

achievementhunter.com/ChurchsWife
    Twitter.com/ChurchesWife
    edited November 2009
    You would be on the Lava Line straight into boston.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ChurchesWifeChurchesWife Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah yes. Apparently my brain doesn't always function properly.

Thankee.

ChurchesWife on
    Call me Ze.

achievementhunter.com/ChurchsWife
    Twitter.com/ChurchesWife
    edited November 2009
    GAH! My two companions have abandoned me due to their lack of financial stability. (I knew it, deep down... not really.) It'll just be me on the train up, but it'll be alright because I'm partaking in these festivities.

EDIT: Bought my ticket, as well.

Spartan Samuel on
  • olorin604olorin604 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    looking to get into the lava line in Chicago, anyone else heading out from Mid MO and want to pool up to Chicago???

or anyone know where I can leave a car for about 5 days??

olorin604 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZakZak Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Name: Zak
    Boarding Stop: New York, NY

Zak on
This discussion has been closed.