As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Train Alliance (PAXTrain EAST!)

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, if I had the funds to do a sleeper car a cross-country train trip would be wonderful. As several people have said, it has quite a few benefits; you get to relax, you aren't tasked with driving, you aren't in a hurry, it's very scenic, you can see different towns and parts of the country, etc. The problem is that sleeper cars are outrageously expensive. From Reno to Boston is about $300 round trip flying, and almost $1000 round trip on the train if I have a sleeper car. It's just a sleeper car between Reno and Chicago, too. Adding a sleeper car between Chicago and Boston adds even more.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    emajkutemajkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    See, that's all fine, but most people aren't going on vacation to spend it on the train. I want to spend the majority of my vacation in the place I chose to go for vacation. For PAX, I'm definitely looking forward to the train ride, but I wouldn't want to spend three days on it. And especially not for $1000. Wtf.♠

emajkut on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    emajkut wrote: »
    See, that's all fine, but most people aren't going on vacation to spend it on the train. I want to spend the majority of my vacation in the place I chose to go for vacation. For PAX, I'm definitely looking forward to the train ride, but I wouldn't want to spend three days on it. And especially not for $1000. Wtf.♠

You just summed up the reason why rail travel has been dying for decades. But, PAXers are doing it for fun regardless of cost. I'm sure some people could get a plane ticket for the same price, but it might not be as fun as this.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its actually cheaper for me than flying.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I like traveling in large groups.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Stone Line
    Name: Reuben Negron (1up) & special guest Leela!
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia, PA
    Ticket Purchased: N

Gonna wait for my tax refund before buying our tickets.

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    suzthegreysuzthegrey Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Name: Susana
    Boarding Stop: New York Penn Station
    Ticket Purchased: Y

I will probably be counted on to bring rice krispie treats, goldfish crackers, my home-made dalmudi deck, an old decrepit laptop and some dvds. My first PAX. Yay Pax train!

suzthegrey on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Another annoying Bostonian FYI:

Those coming in from Stone and Lava, you'll both end up at South Station. There's a connection there to the MBTA's Red Line (you shouldn't have used colors when talking about this, because the subway in Boston is color coordinated). The Red Line does not bring you directly to the convention center, but you can connect to the Green Line at Park Street. From there, take any Green Line train but the E line (which are the B, C, and D lines) to the Hynes Convention Center stop.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    edited February 2010
    According to Amtrak's website, we're departing at Back Bay Station, not South Station, which according to what somebody previously told me, is within walking or short cab distance of the Hynes and surrounding hotels.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ah, my bad. I'm used to South Station being referred to as the main way into Boston from points south.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, Stone Line goes into the Back Bay station. Personally I think the convention center is JUST a bit too far to walk while carrying a bunch of luggage, but I'm a lazy ass :P Maybe we can all hijack a bus or something.

emajkut on
  • Options
    ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Name: Sam Rosoff
    Boarding Stop: Bridgeport, CT

I'm putting my name down because I definitely want to do this, but I do not know whether I can get Friday off of work yet... :P

ElSantos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You are aware the train departs on Thursday, correct?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You are aware the train departs on Thursday, correct?
    Yep, it doesn't arrive at my stop until after 5, so no conflicts there.

ElSantos on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well it looks like I will be along for the ride after all, blue line of course. I'm not too thrilled about getting into Boston Thursday night, but oh well.

I'll try to look into it when I can, but how far is the station in Boston from the convention center, and will transportation be easy?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Back Bay Station is under a mile from the convention center area, if I'm not mistaken.

And yeah, I'm not too thrilled about the arrival time either, but it was the only way to get everybody on the same train.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Right, it works.

I just looked on Google Maps too, it's only a few blocks from the convention center, and the hotel I'm at is even closer. Awesome.

I hope train delays aren't all too common.

EDIT: Oh, and does Amtrak charge right away when a ticket is purchased, or not until the day of?

EDIT2:
    What line you will be on: Blue
    Name: Brian (Coldbrew)
    Boarding Stop: Everett

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They get charged right away. Somewhere there is data on how often certain Amtrak trains are on time. I hope things aren't too bad, I'd hate to get in too late.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    hmm alright.

Any plans for reverse trips? Or just whatever. I've found the same reverse path (lava to blue) back that leaves Monday which is perfect so it's not a problem but I wouldn't mind going back with people too.

Oh, and we'll be filming on the trains too for the Community DVD. My other main crew member will be getting on the copper line, so we'll at least film on the lava. Just an FYI.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll be taking that monday train back home, but as with the CCST, I've left people open to plan their own ways home.

Many props, Coldbrew, for doing the long haul. Are you getting a sleeper on the Blue Line?

Also, I found the site that lists delays, http://www.amtrakdelays.com
    Looks like the Lava line is 22 minutes early, on average.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    That's really good news. And I don't plan on the sleeper room, I don't exactly have a lot of money to spend. I'll look into it and see how much it actually is, but I doubt it.

3 days on a train is going to be crazy. They have power outlets and shit right!?

EDIT: Looks like the Blue line has an average delay of 72 minutes, which should be fine considering it's a 5 hour layover. Awesome site.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    From what I've been told, there are power outlets, although you might want to bring a power strip. The sleeper however is upwards of 300 if memory serves. It's a room for two though, so it could be worth it if you have a traveling buddy.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Howdy,
    I'm the "other main crew member" for the PAX Community DVD. My video camera shall be along for the ride as well, and we'll definitely get some footage on the Lava line.
    Anyway Moe, you should add "ear plugs" to the list of things to bring along. I've never ridden Amtrak, but I imagine it's not the quietest ride for sleeping.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah $216 for a 2 person room. I wish I could afford that, and I'll be by myself on the blue line, aside from the other paxers, so that wont happen.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    JBob08JBob08 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the update Arco, I wasn't aware of the difference in seating on the big trips.

JBob08 on
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there somewhere to park your car at the Cleveland station, Moe? The return trip would have us arriving a little after 3AM, which is too late for me to get a ride from there.

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know, I'm not sure. I wasn't planning on leaving my car down there anyway. Worse comes to worse, I can always hop a bus home from the train station, but I'd rather not do that at 3am. I can't imagine there not be parking there, but it is downtown, so it might not be free.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I'm so hitting up ETA when I can afford it and have time for it. A double-dose of PAX is well worth it.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    Drew8800Drew8800 Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emajkut wrote: »
    Yeah, Stone Line goes into the Back Bay station. Personally I think the convention center is JUST a bit too far to walk while carrying a bunch of luggage, but I'm a lazy ass :P Maybe we can all hijack a bus or something.

Believe me, getting a cab at Back Bay to go the Hynes or to a hotel right by there is a waste of money (unless the weather is awful or there's a lot of snow on the ground & it's impossible to walk safely.) It's a few blocks - not very far at all - and is a lot easier/closer than it looks on a map. Plus, the streets are all one-way in the Copley Square area, so it's a good chance a cab would take longer than walking, and cabbies would exploit your lack of area knowledge.

Also, there's been a few people who have mentioned getting off at South Station then transferring onto the T (local subway). As mentioned, the Green Line E train does not stop at Hynes, but it does stop at Prudential, which is attached to the convention center and a couple of the hotels. For those that don't know, the Prudential Center is a pretty decent sized mall and has a good food court.

Drew8800 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I honestly don't know why anybody would get off at South Station, unless their hotel is closer to South Station than to Back Bay Station.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WhereMyArmWhereMyArm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I just looked on Google Maps too, it's only a few blocks from the convention center, and the hotel I'm at is even closer. Awesome.

Oh sweet, I didn't realize the convention center (and the Colonnade, where we're staying) are literally right around the corner from BBY station, that'll save us some money on a cab to and from. Good to hear about another on the Blue Line, this is sounding like more fun every time I check the thread.

WhereMyArm on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm staying at the Colonnade too. We can walk over together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    WhereMyArm wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »

Oh sweet, I didn't realize the convention center (and the Colonnade, where we're staying) are literally right around the corner from BBY station, that'll save us some money on a cab to and from. Good to hear about another on the Blue Line, this is sounding like more fun every time I check the thread.

Yeah it seems like a nice hotel, and I agree, the train should be fun (if i can keep busy for 3 days) and just this whole event and trip is going to be insane, I've never left the time zone I live in, so i just don't know what to expect.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm going around to all the threads where I said I was going and pulling that out. I still don't have a job (after graduating last MAY, I really have no idea on what I can do now... existential crisis and all) so I don't have the finances to go to East. Hopefully I can go to Prime.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    They get charged right away. Somewhere there is data on how often certain Amtrak trains are on time. I hope things aren't too bad, I'd hate to get in too late.

1) The N.E. is really good about being close to on time as amtrak owns the rails.

2) I've never taken amtrak and had it arrive on time.

I know people at amtrak - They say the killer with amtrak delays is that freightlines own the rails in most places and will (illegally) stop trains to move their cargo trains around, or will put a freight train with a top speed of 30 mph in front of a passenger train that can go 80.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, sounds like freight trains are to amtrak just as much assholes as truckers are to drivers (particularly the ccst) on the road. Well, as long as Amtrak owns most of the lines we'll be on, it should be good.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Judging by the map on this page: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Route_C/1241245664423/1237405732511/OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview/perf

It looks like the Lava Line will ride entirely on Norfolk Southern and CSX rails. That page also says it's on time about 80% of the time, though.

emajkut on
  • Options
    yanamalyanamal Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Whee, I just bought the tickets!
    (and then registered on the forums just to tell everyone about it...)

What line you will be on: Stone line
    Name: Yana
    Boarding Stop: Metropark
    Ticket Purchased: Y

yanamal on
  • Options
    WhereMyArmWhereMyArm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh cool Moe, that's good to know. I'm surprised more people didn't choose the Colonnade, I think I got a pretty good rate. I guess the Sheraton is a little closer, though.

WhereMyArm on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Sheraton is attached to the convention center. By the time I registered my hotel, the Sheraton was sold out. It's my understanding that more rooms became available later, but I didn't feel like dealing with canceling and reserving another room. Plus somebody mentioned that the Colonnade rooms are bigger.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.