As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Game Recommendations! I need them!

ArthilArthil Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Good lord I've been out of the loop when it comes to PC games. I think the last ones I really played through properly were Morrowind, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3. So to put it simply I need a little help on what I should get now that I've got a beast of a machine to play said games on. I'm going to make this sweet and simple so I can give you guys as much information as possible.

Specs of Said Beast Machine:

Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
SLI- Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240, 2048MB

Now I figure that'd be the important bits but if some more information would be helpful I'll gladly give it. When it comes to the games themselves I've got a broad range of interest, from FPS to RTS, RPG etc. I will admit I'd like to get something that would both be fun obviously, but also let me test out the power of my new computer.

Games that might have a demo available online would be a plus as well, but not required of course.

Edit:

Damn near forgot, updating with a few games that were already in my sights.

Crysis/Warhead
Dawn of War 2
The Witcher
Possibly Fallout 3/Oblivion

Otherwise my knowledge of PC Gaming has sadly been non-existant.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
Arthil on

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Orange Box

Really, just get Steam and watch out for some of the weekend deals. I've spent about 30 bucks on steam in total, and I've got quite a few games.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anno 1404 is an awesome game, if you mind being (mostly) combat-free, it looks fab and has awesome depth, plus there is a demo available.
    And obviously if you haven't played company of heroes, you need to do so NOW.

cliffski on
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crysis is a great FPS, and it should look quite nice on your system.

natxcross on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you want brainless FPS stress relief, Painkiller is a good bet.

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's older, but Civ IV is still great. and since you're getting an nVidia card Batman: AA will have fancy PhysX stuff (no playable Joker though).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cave Story
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    Crimson Skies
    Freedom Fighters
    Galactic Civilizations II
    Grim Fandango
    Homeworld 2
    Mafia
    Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
    No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2
    Planescape: Torment
    S.W.A.T 4
    Sim City 4
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    System Shock 2
    Thief, Thief 2, Thief III
    The Ur-Quan masters / Star Control 2
    Warcraft III
    Worms: Armageddon

On GoG.com:
    Arx Fatalis
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Descent 3
    Fallout and Fallout 2
    Freespace and Freespace 2
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto
    IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Painkiller
    Sacrifice
    Tex Murphy

On Steam:
    Armed and Dangerous
    Assassin's Creed
    Audiosurf
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Bioshock
    Braid
    Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, Earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway
    Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4
    Civilization IV
    Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    Crysis and Crysis: Warhead
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Dawn of War II
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Dead Space
    DEFCON, Darwinia, Uplink
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    Empire: Total War
    Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)
    Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout 3
    Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    GRID
    Hitman: Something or other
    IL2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Jade Empire
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Just Cause
    Killing Floor
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Lego Star Wars and Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
    The Longest Journey
    Mass Effect
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2
    Men of War
    Mirror's Edge
    Monkey Island
    Mount and Blade
    Multiwinia
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Oblivion
    Orange Box
    Overlord
    Painkiller
    Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 and 2
    Psychonauts
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Sam and Max: Season 1 and 2 (Season 1 Episode 4 is *[free as in beer])
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Splinter Cell and all its sequels
    Sword of the Stars
    Trackmania United Nations*
    Tropico 1, 2, and 3
    Tomb Raider: Whatever the good ones are, by Crystal Dynamics or whatever
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    The Witcher
    World in Conflict
    World of Goo
    X-COM: UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep
    X3: Terran Conflict
    Zeno Clash

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Steam idea is a very good one. As is the Orange Box which will net you, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2.

Check out gog.com and direct2drive.com for cheap deals on good PC games. Example, direct2drive has Bioshock, The New Riddick Game, Stalker, Max Payne 2 and Theif 3 all of 5$ each. And those are all great games.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are both good, pick those up. Dawn of War 2 is also super awesome.

Other games to check out:

Trine
    World of Warcraft (10 day trial)
    Company of Heroes
    Deus Ex
    Eve (15 day trial)
    Plants vs Zombies
    Left 4 Dead
    F.E.A.R.
    Homeworld if you never got around to playing it.
    Football Manager (if you like soccer/football)

edit.
    Yeah what he said.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too many awesome games on the PC.

I think I'll leave the MMO category out for obvious reasons.

Fallout Trilogy. They are all good.
    Left 4 Dead
    Demigod (I liked it)
    Civilization IV
    F.E.A.R. 1 & 2
    The Orange Box from Steam. (DOOOOOO IT)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Prototype

I mainly play TF2 and MMO's on my PC as I begin to migrate back towards consoles, but I have a plethora of games for the PC packed away in storage. (Deployments suck kids!) While these games won't "push" your system, there are shittons of amazing games for the PC, before they stopped pushing PC games as hard...*sadface*

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just to note I already have the computer, had it for a month actually. A whole lot of very good suggestions... it's a shame I've got to narrow it down to only one or two, for this month at least.

Arthil on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Batman is definitely the hot new single player game. It's a 10-15h main story line, challenge rooms, hundreds of secrets to find. I can't really find any fault with the game at all. Also, with your new nvidia card, it'll look pretty good (Nvidia = extra physics)
    The Orange box is awesome value (Two great singleplayer games, one short and sweet, the other epic long, and arguably the most fun multiplayer fps, which you can play with PA folk every day).
    Left 4 Dead is a lot of coop fps fun, though you've missed the initial wave, and there will be a sequel soon, so you could wait for that.

Play Fallout 3 over Oblivion. I can't realy think of anything Oblivion does that FA 3 doesn't do better. The Witcher is fun storywise, but I didn't like the combat much.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. gets a lot of praise, it's a series of two survival FPS games. You need to patch up though, and many recommend a few mods as well, to clean it up. Haven't gotten around to it myself.

If you want massive armies butting heads, you can get Empire: Total War. As always, there A.I. issues though. If you get the older Medieval 2 (+ expansion) instead, you can get a load of mods to lengthen the playtime, including a full Middle-Earth conversion.

If you haven't played them on console, GTA IV and Prototype are pretty good. Saints Row 2 is $5 right now, and while the PC version has some issues, it's still a steal.

If you don't want to break your bank, watch GoG, D2D and Steam. Those three combined can probably give you a new good to great game for under $10 every week for a year.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks like I'm in a similar boat. I wasn't planning on getting a new computer this year, but my computer starting making horrible dying noises right around the time of a good sale, so...yep.

It's a shame there aren't more PC-centric new games coming out this holiday season. I want to play Modern Warfare 2 with my 360-owning friends, but I suppose I'll pick up L4D2 and Crysis.

Suddenly SC2 and Diablo 3 can't come soon enough.

Darlan on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd wait for the good stuff coming up.

Dragon Age
    Modern Warfare 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Bioshock 2

Hoz on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looking at that list, I just remembered that the PC version of Mass Effect 2 is coming out the same day as the 360 version, which suddenly matters to me. I can't wait for that one.

Darlan on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    download steam and buy all games in it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Aha! A problem! Steam would require a credit card of some sort, which I do not have. Could be useful for the demos though.

Edit: Speaking of demos I gave The Witcher demo a whirl. The combat felt decent, though I imagine things get a little different when you aren't in the very first area. Looked rather nice, only had a couple of graphical oddities which likely are patched out in the full version. My only complaint is a lack of a 'sprint' button! Good lord Warhammer has spoiled me...

Arthil on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quite a few banks sell gift cards now which work just like debit cards but have a major credit card label associated with them. (Visa, Mastercard) So you could ask your local bank if they have an option like that.

Alternativly you could also see about getting a checking account which may have a check card associated with it. Im 26 and never had a credit card because Ive always used this option.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd recommend getting a wired 360 controller and also looking at the PC versions of games that are often considered "console games". I'm thinking of Devil May Cry 4, Street Fighter IV and Burnout Paradise in particular. I hear Resident Evil is also very good. Personally I think the new Bionic Commando is awesome, but I hear that a lot of people didn't like it.

If you get The Orange Box, be sure to head into the TF2 thread and play on our servers.

Peewi on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It should be noted that you can makes purchases through Steam by using PayPal or Click and Buy, both of which let you use your bank account rather than a credit card. So not having a credit card really isn't much of an issue when it comes to Steam.

And TychoCelchuuu really covered most of the bases when it comes to PC gaming (at least most of the highlights). :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't forget Supreme Commander, it's a fantastic RTS.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, if you want an RPG go with Neverwinter Nights 2. There are a hell of a lot of short campaigns free to download, and a couple of expansions as well. The game actually looks really great on a powerful machine, and there are so many classes, races, and potential party members that it leaves a lot of room for replays.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Download steam and browse through their available games, even if you don't buy anything directly through them, they have great descriptions and categories for damn near everything.

OHGR on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arthil wrote: »

I'd find the person that recommended this to you, take them out back and shoot them.

Otherwise, Witcher is a great RPG as long as you get past the first Chapter (or maybe it's the 2nd chapter) as it's a game that starts off very slowly, but then gets amazingly good.

Demigod is a great easy to play RTS if you have a few friends that you can team up with.

World of Goo is fantastic

Zeno Clash is a great/weird FP Brawler that's suitably short

DiRT 2 is getting a lot of praise, GRiD was fantastic so I don't see why you shouldn't check either out if you're a racing fan.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I happily conceded several hours of my life to that world of goo game :)

OHGR on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OHGR wrote: »
    I happily conceded several hours of my life to that world of goo game :)

I just bought this, literally last night. It's fantastic. If you have even the slightest interest in puzzle games, go for it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Quite a few banks sell gift cards now which work just like debit cards but have a major credit card label associated with them. (Visa, Mastercard) So you could ask your local bank if they have an option like that.

Alternativly you could also see about getting a checking account which may have a check card associated with it. Im 26 and never had a credit card because Ive always used this option.

Grocery stores carry these too. Also you can link PayPal to a bank account.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    I'd find the person that recommended this to you, take them out back and shoot them.

So.... Dell? My machine is an XPS, not entirely sure what makes those cards a bad choice.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fucking double post.

Arthil on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fubear on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Did anybody recommend Plants v Zombies yet? Because it's a great little tower defense game.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Did anybody recommend Plants v Zombies yet? Because it's a great little tower defense game.

Ehhh get the demo IMO.

It's funny with a pretty cute style, but as a TD it didn't seem great to me - what with the straight path rows and no pathing to work with/against at all.

e~ Also, get the Mount & Blade demo and follow these instructions.

1) Ride by a peasant on your horse
    2) with your sword out
    3) Then decide: yes, this is for me - Buy the full version then go to the M&B thread and get Prophesy of Pendor mod and the other goodies.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you can't buy Steam games, don't even bother with PC gaming then. Because there are hundreds of top PC games there. and many sales and promotions. And many great old games.

But fortunately, you can buy games on steam without a credit card.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i dont want to steal ideas thrown at OP but i'm wondering if people can help me with the same game recommendations, but for a very low performance laptop...

i'm stuck traveling for a few weeks in too-small towns, and I'd appreciate any ideas to help me pass the time :/

OHGR on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Starcraft II is comin out in 2010 save up for that.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OHGR wrote: »
    i dont want to steal ideas thrown at OP but i'm wondering if people can help me with the same game recommendations, but for a very low performance laptop...

i'm stuck traveling for a few weeks in too-small towns, and I'd appreciate any ideas to help me pass the time :/

Peggle Deluxe
    Plants vs Zombies
    Civilization III
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Bookwork Adventures Deluxe 1/2
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Sim City 2000
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Tales of Monkey Island Eps 1 & 2
    Sam & Max Save the World Seasons 1 & 2
    Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventure Complete Season (4 eps)

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crawl Stone Soup is a great low performance game. Roguelike that is still pretty hard, but not as complex. It's in my top 5 most played games of 2009. Free download too.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you can't buy Steam games, don't even bother with PC gaming then. Because there are hundreds of top PC games there. and many sales and promotions. And many great old games.

But fortunately, you can buy games on steam without a credit card.

Hey. I've played a lot of PC games, but very few of them were originally obtained from Steam (although a substantial portion of my collection is now available from them.)

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and don't have a credit card, bargain bins are fantastic places to find older games. Bundles are also frequently good buys. Holidays and events such as Black Friday (especially Black Friday) are also a goldmine for game deals at physical retailers.

If there's a Micro Center in your area, check it out. The one near where I live in Georgia never gets rid of the games they don't sell, so they've got a huge shelf at the back of the store stuffed with random great old games. For example I've seen Sands of Time, Worms Armageddon, and Giants: Citizen Kabuto all new in package for under $5.

Oh, Goozex is also a good place to pick up older (used) games, though if you don't have credit card or stuff to ship out, that might be a no go.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    thanks jclast and sanderjk, will try a few of those out

OHGR on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I picked up Braid last week when it was on sale on Steam. Terrific game - the first level is baby stuff but the puzzles ramp up the challenge real quick.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »

So.... Dell? My machine is an XPS, not entirely sure what makes those cards a bad choice.

Yes, shoot Dell. Gigaaaantic waste of money to run two of those puppies unless you have a 16 monitor setup.

TychoCelchuuu on