As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expired tags, got ticket... questions

Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was pulled over in August for my vehicle registration tags that expired in July. Got a ticket that basically states I have to renew my tags in 30 days, or get fined. So a week later I go get them renewed. I asked the lady at the city building if she can take of my ticket too. She stated that I would have to go to the county courthouse. So here's my question. There is a specific date and time on the ticket for which I should appear "in court". Does this mean I have to be there on that day, at that time to get this ticket taken care of? Or can I just show up a few days early and get it done? I checked a few dmv sites and could only conclude that as long as I bring my new registration receipt, they will take care of the rest... but it doesn't say if I can go early, or if I HAVE to be there on the specific time and date.

I just have a funky work schedule and would rather get it done on a day off, than try to rush to work on the day I have to be at the courthouse.

Brucelee41042 on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure you have to be that time & date, because at that time you have an appointment with the judge or clerk.

Just bring the receipt, the ticket, your insurance info, and you should get it dropped. Be on-time, be polite and to the point.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You must appear at said courthouse at the time on the citation. Bring your updated registration with you. From there the judge will throw the citation itself out and you're either free to go, or you have to pay court costs. I just did the exact same thing you're doing in August and I didn't pay court costs ($96) but I did have to pay a $20 'administrative fee.' What you'll pay if anything is totally dependent on your local laws. If you go early you are pleading guilty and agreeing to pay the full fine which will probably be significantly more than the courtroom route.

Shogun on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have to be that time & date, because at that time you have an appointment with the judge or clerk.

Just bring the receipt, the ticket, your insurance info, and you should get it dropped. Be on-time, be polite and to the point.

This exactly, you took care of it in a timely manner, so you should get it dropped. Wear some decent clothes too, they make you tuck your shirt in at court, so you'll look dumb if it's a t-shirt tucked in.

If the judge is fair like mine was, you won't have to pay anything because the case will be dropped. Don't worry at all about it. I got so worked up over nothing, and I was in more "trouble" than you are.

Etch on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok cool, thanks guys. Some people were saying I wouldn't even have to speak with a judge, just with the DA... but who knows.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Usually for non-moving violations you can also just go to city hall/police station/wherever and get the ticket taken care of. There should be instructions on the ticket as to where to go.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok cool, thanks guys. Some people were saying I wouldn't even have to speak with a judge, just with the DA... but who knows.
    It's likely.
    I had the same situation arise last year, I had to show at the appointed time, provide proof of registration to a clerk, and was sent on my merry way.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    just call the courthouse and ask... this works differently in every town

illig on