As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will this processor work with my motherboard?

RBachRBach Registered User regular
I've got an Intel BLKDG965SSCK and a Core 2 Duo E6400. I also have this Geforce 7300GT installed. The computer's almost three years old now and I think it might be time for a modest upgrade. I'm quite happy with the motherboard itself and would like to keep using it, but it's old enough that I can't find anything (on Newegg) that is listed as compatible on Intel's site. So I did a bit of research to see what (if anything) on the market now is compatible in spite of Intel's claims. :)

Anyway, I'd hoped to upgrade to a quad core, but those are apparently flat out an impossibility. Based on specs, it looks like this Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale has the best chance of working of anything on Newegg. The FSB matches, the processor socket (obviously) matches, and the voltage range looks like it might just work out. I've seen anecdotal evidence on random forums I found in Google searches that show Wolfdale processors working with similar boards to mine but not my exact motherboard. So, what do you guys think my chances are of this processor working?

My second question is much simpler: this board doesn't support PCI Express x16 2.0. It's my understanding that 2.0 graphics cards will work in 1.0 slots--is this correct? What are the drawbacks from using a 2.0 card in an older slot?

Thanks for your help. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RBach on

• Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you post this question in the computer build thread that's stickied at the top of the forum, they will definitely help you out.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the chances of it working aren't worth the risk of Newegg's non-refund policy on that processor and potentially throwing $140 away. I mean, you might be able to sell it used for half that, so you'd only be out $60-80 in the end. Anecdotes on the internet are great and all, but they are exactly that anecdotes. I'm pretty sure if that Wolfdale worked Intel would list it, since a processor sale is a sale.

Secondly, and this is key, what is it you are trying to accomplish with an upgrade or what is it that your system doesn't do that you re hoping it will do post-upgrade.

Third, what is your budget for the above.

Forth, how much memory do you have in your system?

Fifth, have you considered trying to modestly overclock the system to get some performance gains? the jump to the Wolfdale would be a pretty significant upgrade, but if that isn't an option then the remaining compatible processors are outrageously expensive for the potential gains you'll see. It's an obsolete line and everyone already beat you to their upgrades, thus demand is high and supply is low and prices for these processors remain high, especially compared to an i5/i7.

travathian on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I suppose I should've gone straight to the build thread. I simply forgot about it and for whatever reason in my mind when I think of the thread I think "completely new computers from scratch" rather than minor upgrades, but that's really a silly notion to have honestly. :)

There are three CPU-intensive tasks I use the computer for: video encoding, working with virtual machines, and gaming. Encoding isn't that big a deal as I'm perfectly content to wait a while and/or leave the computer on overnight and have it automatically shut down once it finishes transcoding. For my VM uses, RAM is generally a greater issue than processor speed (and I've maxed this board out at 8GB). I'd like more cores to help with many VMs, but that's clearly not an option with this board. That leaves games, and I've picked up a few on sale for like $5 (e.g. Bioshock, STALKER, Empire: TW, etc) that I'd kind of like to get around to playing. Sure, they'll run, but even on lowish settings they don't run particularly well. In most cases simply replacing that 7300GT will probably give more benefit than a processor upgrade, but if I can get a (relatively) cheap processor at the same time I figure I might as well while I can. Besides, I'd like to speed Civ4 up a bit, too. :)

I wouldn't want to spend more than $200-$250 on an upgrade (or more than $150 if we're only talking a new graphics card). I can't justify spending much more than that just to play a few games, and even that's pushing it a bit. I'll probably end up just waiting a while longer until I'm ready to drop $500 or so on a whole new system (well, motherboard, processor, power supply, RAM, and graphics card). That would probably be for the best. Then I could repurpose this current system for HTPC usage (although I have no idea what I'd do with so much RAM in the thing...).

I might look into very minor overclocking. I seem to recall E6400's OC'ing reasonably well, but I have no idea how the board would take it. Time for some research I guess. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965ss/sb/CS-026601.htm

To answer your question more directly- No. Wolfdales will not work with that board.

The reason is likely that it hasn't gotten a proper Bios update. That's intel for you. Asus seems to support their hardware better. I bought my P5B board like 4-5 years ago now and its still going strong. Was able to bios flash it to accept an E8400. I was waiting for the lesser c2d chips to drop in price but I said "fuck it" and picked up a wolfdale core.

Get a decent Asus board locally. Make sure they have an exchange policy if its DOA.

Viscountalpha on