As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil: Casually Shooting Bees In The Hallway

• Options
    ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Isn't it Mr. Death or does he have a doctorate?

He didn't go to evil medical school just to be called mister!

ArjanN on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't see why they'd reboot the story since they basically pay no attention to it from game to game anyway

Allow me to copy and paste this evidence:

Lots of craaaaaaap here.

You know... I never really realized how freaking ridiculous this whole story was until now...

Hahaha! Ridiculous awesome. Seeing it all laid out like that with all those so many plot ret-cons is quite the hilarious read.

The series needs to keep on going and going until it turns out that Wesker is actually Chris' father and Leon is his imperfect escaped clone.

Oh and Wesker created the first ever viruses to be unleashed on mankind and accidently dropped them through a time hole.

And he's actually Jesus.

See, I could be a RE plot writer!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I bought RE5 on the PC and am playing it

It's pretty fun! I like the controls better than RE4 but I miss not being able to obsessively arrange my inventory

I would like to play co-op with some people some time, that would be awesome

I got so much shit from my friends about arranging gear in my case.

Then they got their copies and I was vindicated.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just finished playing a short session in professional difficulty online. I take back what I said about poor netcode. The guy I was playing with must have been close to my region, because I didn't notice any lag.

As for the difficulty, its actually quite managable with two real players watching each others backs. Then again, we only did chapter 2-1 with some pretty advanced gear. I had a jailbreaker / psg-1 combo, and he was using a beretta and sig 556.

If anybody wants to get together for some coop goodness, friend me in Live. My handle is "D4ngerB1rd".

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New movies for darkside chronicles. Warning, they spoil a lot about the new scenerio.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Megaman continuity is pretty fucked too.

It is always Sigma and/or Dr. Wily

LewieP on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ITT: People love the old RE controls while (maybe) other people bitch about not being able to strafe while jogging.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ITT: People love the old RE controls while (maybe) other people bitch about not being able to strafe while jogging.

See, thing is, more than anything else RE5 felt like the whole game was designed around more traditional 3rd person shooter controls, but then they gave you more restrictive controls than RE4.

LewieP on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am kinda cheating my way through Prof difficulty right now.

Beat the game in less than 5 hours on my veteran run and got the unlimited rocket launcher. Combine this with 2 unlimited S&W 500's and/or Chris' minigun and everything dies very fast.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

See, thing is, more than anything else RE5 felt like the whole game was designed around more traditional 3rd person shooter controls, but then they gave you more restrictive controls than RE4.

Well, it's hilarious that half the people hate RE4/5 for changing the series too much while another third hates them for not changing enough.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, it's hilarious that half the people hate RE4/5 for changing the series too much while another third hates them for not changing enough.

I think that this is because the series is in a weird half-way place at the moment. The gameplay has become much more action-focused, but the controls haven't changed to accomodate that. I really hope that this 'reboot' means that they are going to pick one or the other, and stick with it. I don't mind the difficult controls in RE1, but when you've got zombies shooting at you with miniguns and assault rifles, it really feels like you should be using more traditional action game controls.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New movies for darkside chronicles. Warning, they spoil a lot about the new scenerio.

Ridiculous new scenario aside, have I mentioned this game looks freakin' awesome? 'Cause it does.

So wait, your partner in single player mode has a health bar you need to watch out for? That should make things a lot more frantic. Is co-op health still supposed to be one shared bar?

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I think that this is because the series is in a weird half-way place at the moment. The gameplay has become much more action-focused, but the controls haven't changed to accomodate that. I really hope that this 'reboot' means that they are going to pick one or the other, and stick with it. I don't mind the difficult controls in RE1, but when you've got zombies shooting at you with miniguns and assault rifles, it really feels like you should be using more traditional action game controls.

I largely agree with this. My two favourite games in the series are RE2 and RE4. RE2's controls and gameplay feel fine to me given the context and how things work. RE4 took things away from survival horror into pretty much just action territory. I like them both but they're very different styles of game so there was always going to be a fanbase split

After playing Dead Space though, you just end up feeling that they need to upgrade the controls.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, Dead Space is a very sucessful example of how you can have scares and tension and elements of horror without having to have archaic controls.

If it were up to me, I would force everyone working on the next RE game to play Dead Space first.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »

I largely agree with this. My two favourite games in the series are RE2 and RE4. RE2's controls and gameplay feel fine to me given the context and how things work. RE4 took things away from survival horror into pretty much just action territory. I like them both but they're very different styles of game so there was always going to be a fanbase split

After playing Dead Space though, you just end up feeling that they need to upgrade the controls.

Exactly, Dead Space showed everyone that you could have a good horror game without gimping the controls. Isaac is capable of taking out tonnes of necromorphs, the player never struggles to control him, and it was still tense and scary. RE5 has gimped controls and is less scary.

Personally, I'd love to see the older REs redone in the RE4 or 5 engine. Keep the ammo sparse and the zombies tough, keep all the gameplay as true to the originals as possible, but just let me view everything from just over my character's shoulder. Failing this, I would accept a fanmod that replaces everything in RE4 or 5 with the older games.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Exactly, Dead Space showed everyone that you could have a good horror game without gimping the controls. Isaac is capable of taking out tonnes of necromorphs, the player never struggles to control him, and it was still tense and scary. RE5 has gimped controls and is less scary.

Personally, I'd love to see the older REs redone in the RE4 or 5 engine. Keep the ammo sparse and the zombies tough, keep all the gameplay as true to the originals as possible, but just let me view everything from just over my character's shoulder. Failing this, I would accept a fanmod that replaces everything in RE4 or 5 with the older games.

The funny thing is that despite having controls evolved from RE4, Dead Space is far more "Survival Horror" than the new games every try to be. The new games really are literally straightforward action, there's rarely the attempts at spooky atmosphere that the older RE games tried for, or Dead Space. Dead Space had a really amazing atmosphere at times.

And yes, any future devs should definitely play Dead Space before going for a series reboot.

subedii on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a larger fan of the stationary camera than I am of the controls. I know I am alone here, but it felt scarier with the cameras where they were instead of behind my back. And with those cameras you have to have the controls otherwise it'll feel like DMC or something, which isn't something they are going for.

If I had to list them:

RE1 > RE2 > RE3 > RE4 > RE5 > RE0

That's not including the shooters and stuff.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm a larger fan of the stationary camera than I am of the controls. I know I am alone here, but it felt scarier with the cameras where they were instead of behind my back. And with those cameras you have to have the controls otherwise it'll feel like DMC or something, which isn't something they are going for.

If I had to list them:

RE1 > RE2 > RE3 > RE4 > RE5 > RE0

That's not including the shooters and stuff.

Amen-Brother.jpg

You're not alone.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No, if I had to list mine, RE2 would just about edge out RE4 for the top spot for my favourite game in the series. It's almost sort of like a relaxation game at this point. I know how to get around the police station and the stuff that needs to be done, so I just pretty much go into automatic mode and watch the stuff happening on-screen without really thinking too hard about anything. The fact that playing through a scenario only takes about 3 hours is also a big plus point there, it just makes me more inclined to play through it again since I don't have to devote days to the thing. Last time I played the Claire scenario I think I only saved 4 or 5 times.

RE3 I wouldn't put up as better than RE4, but then I've always thought of it more as RE2: Disc 3, rather than its own separate game.

subedii on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You're missing RE:CV, which I would place between RE1 and RE2.

But that's because Ive never actually really had fun with RE2. I only played it once, years and years ago, when I rented it and was about 25% through when my parents said the due date was that night, and we needed to bring it back, so I got a walkthrough and burned through the rest, skipping cut scenes and stuff, just to say I beat it to my friends. I was like 14, so that makes it ok.

I will re-play it someday though, properly.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RE2 > REmake > RE4 > RE3 > RE1 > RE:CV > RE0 > RE5

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So little love for the Outbreaks in here.

This man is a machine of zombie devastation.

george_concept.png

Brian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I never understand why people are so down on Zero. I liked it anyways.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    RE: Zero was so much fucking fun! Plus it had the coolest graphics offered in any RE game until then.

I don't understand the hate for RE:0 it was a really good game.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

So did I; it employed the co-op style of play really well (especially since you actually had full control over your characters and their equipped weapons rather than having it be an AI crapshoot like in RE5 single player), and the ability to actually drop items anywhere for later use was a nice touch. I guess people didn't like the way the story was handled (leeches leeches lol), but I thought it fleshed out the overall plot nicely.

Plus, Rebecca. <3

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RE0 would of been game of the year of all years if it was co-op and cabable of being lanned

Ditto RE: Outbreak.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RE:0 was a god damn mess that was a chore to play.

It's attempts at innovation were badly mishandled and I think it can be blamed for killing the traditional RE game by being a failure both critically and commercially.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Honestly it's low on the list but that doesn't mean it's bad. The game was definitely harder than the others, but it was still good.

I'm missing CV because I've never actually beaten it. :( Which reminds me, I have it for the GCN I should get around to that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Count me in the "would love to play all other RE games in RE4/5 camera" court. I hate the original camera and tank controls.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think you can't add that perspective to the old RE games without fundamentally changing the gameplay.

However I could be wrong. I'd love to see a mock up of that idea to see if it actually worked.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think you can't add that perspective to the old RE games without fundamentally changing the gameplay.

It would make the games ridiculously easy. Instead of frustratingly hard. They would would have to re-do how the zombies work. Me thinks.

Egos on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Give me REmake and fuck the rest of the series. God if only they'd get it on the 360. The mansion will always be the definitive RE experience.

Ceno on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Im in the camp that absolutely loved the camera that you couldn't control. But I see the argument on both sides. The RE4 camera makes it feel like a game. The RE1-RE:CV camera made me feel like I was in a movie. I personally prefer the movie style, but that's just me.

Few things have scared me as much as opening doors in REMake and RE1 and CV. Never knowing what I'd be looking at was just horrifying. The absolute WORST was when it would load up, and I'd be looking at a close up of my face. Just the whole screen my face, with some ambient lighting and the sound of shuffling. I remember times my brother and I would just freeze, mustering up the courage to move - and then inch and inch until the camera angle changed, and wondering what would happen.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

How are the controls more restrictive than RE4? I think the only difference between the two is that you can strafe (while walking) in 5.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played RE0 over my friend's house for a bit. When I got to the giant crickets, I stopped and never picked it back up.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    But the zombie monkeys!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This reminds me, I should get WiiMake as I don't have REmake.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

How are the controls more restrictive than RE4? I think the only difference between the two is that you can strafe (while walking) in 5.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, you can't just use one stick, you have to switch between both sticks. Also, the inventory system meant that you didn't have any time to organise your shit.

Then in addition to all that, there is RE4: Wii Edition. Swoon

LewieP on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm playing RE5 on the PC so I don't have any of those problems!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET