As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [adult swim] is not just for stoners thread

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When does the new round start?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright, this is officially my favorite thread. The fact it's about [adult swim] pushed it pretty high up, but the Dr. Rockso music video clinched it.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm Dr. Rockso! The rock and roll cloowwwnnnn! I doooo cooooccaiiinneeeeee!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The only bad thing is now that music video is gonna haunt my nightmares tonight.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this is somewhat related, does anyone know when the new metalocalypse and venture brothers start? I haven't been able to find out...

oxfroggy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Metalocalypse: Nov 8
    Venture Bros: Oct 18

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

I imagine they'll license the new FMA.

Then again, I was expecting them to pick up Shippuden, since it would fit in with Bleach, but that didn't happen.

Funimation has their own channel now so I doubt it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Then again, I was expecting them to pick up Shippuden, since it would fit in with Bleach, but that didn't happen.

Having their own channel didn't stop them from putting Shin-chan on AS.

Slicer on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

I believe that was before they started it up. Frankly with how Adult swim treats anime I surprised the few companies still siring haven't left for *ugh* Syfy or G4.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I didn't even know that Funimation had their own channel. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of places don't carry it.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I believe that was before they started it up. Frankly with how Adult swim treats anime I surprised the few companies still siring haven't left for *ugh* Syfy or G4.

Funimation's channel started in 2005 actually!

It looks like most of the stuff they air on the channel is well outside of Adult Swim's target audience anyhow.

Edit: And yeah, there are only a few places that carry it. Considering how well the original FMA did, they'd be crazy to not make an attempt to put the new series on AS.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha, this made me want to check out Superjail for real:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwOK3AcNxs
    Edit: Also, excellent freeze-image 8-)

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Haha, this made me want to check out Superjail for real:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwOK3AcNxs
    Edit: Also, excellent freeze-image 8-)

Woah is that from a new season of Superjail or did I miss an episode. Fuck, I've missed so much [AS] I just got used to there being nothing on the website except for re-runs, Robot Chicken and KoTH.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved Samurai Jack as well.

And since the creator of that show was involved with it, that reminds me of Korgoth of Barbaria, the show AS absolutely should have picked up after the pilot but didn't for some unfathomable reason. If you haven't seen it... watch it. Now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_t605Th-QI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WdV8cCGxxY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWEno4B4yo&feature=related

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will always be disappointed with AS for not picking up Korgoth and for giving Tim and Eric more than one season. I hear it had both Genndy Tartakovsky and someone from Spongebob Squarepants working on it, I mean, c'mon!

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm still not sure what happened with Korgoth.

As far as I know, they did pick it up, but it ended up just completely dropping off the radar afterwards and we never heard of it again until they had that night of pilots that were never picked up.

Also, this isn't [as], but this is another animated show that I wish lived past the pilot: The Amazing Screw-On Head.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm still not sure what happened with Korgoth.

As far as I know, they did pick it up, but it ended up just completely dropping off the radar afterwards and we never heard of it again until they had that night of pilots that were never picked up.

Also, this isn't [as], but this is another animated show that I wish lived past the pilot: The Amazing Screw-On Head.
    Ah, yes. I remember that one. BE BOLD! I COMMAND YOU!
    Korgoth of Barbaria is a pilot episode for an American animated television series created by Aaron Springer, storyboard writer and director for Dexter's Laboratory, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and SpongeBob SquarePants. The pilot episode first aired in the United States on June 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM (EST) on Adult Swim. On June 18, 2006, Adult Swim ran a bumper announcing Korgoth was officially picked up as a series. Later events, including a formal petition to revive the show, would indicate that it was dropped before production began. It is rumored that someone of higher authority than Mike Lazzo insisted that it remained a one off during the early stages of the show's creation. It is also rumored that the pilot would have had too high of a budget if it ever went to series.

As of Comic Con 2006 the show was scheduled to release sometime in spring of 2007. However, as of December 29, 2007, the only mention of the show on the Adult Swim website is an intro graphic with the words "you couldn't handle more than one anyway".

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like AS's relative autonomy from Cartoon Network only runs so far.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just got my tickets in the mail to go see Dethklok on Oct 21st. 8-)

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Superjail has one of the most fantastic theme songs I've ever heard.

Overall I like most of the stuff I see.

Frisky Dingo
    Sealab
    Venture Brothers
    Robot Chicken
    Squidbillies
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Home Movies
    Metalacolypse
    Super Jail
    Drinky Crow
    Harvey Birdman

Some things I don't like:
    Anime
    Tim and Eric
    Tom goes to the mayor

Then there are the fox shows which I like King of the Hill and American Dad, but I am waaaaaaaay too burnt out on Family Guy and could deal with them rotating other stuff in. I'll even comprimise and say they can take up the 10:00 pm half our slot for family guy, just don't double block it... it's too much and I usually go to bed around 11 during the week...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like shows like Tim and Eric and Saul of the Mole Men, but I can see why others would not.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They will never ever rotate out family guy since without fail it brings in a million viewers every sunday.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This thread makes me want cable again. If they made more Minoriteam I'd be all over it.

Until then I'll settle for the tivo in my friend's apartment.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They also show the shows on adultswim.com. I don't know when they're posted, though

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dethalbum II is a dissapointment. It's much more thrash than death metal. The only song that reminds me of Dethalbum is Murmaider II.

I'm not sure if I like it yet or if it's a bad album but it's just...it's different. It's not what I expected.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Dethalbum II is a dissapointment. It's much more thrash than death metal. The only song that reminds me of Dethalbum is Murmaider II.

I'm not sure if I like it yet or if it's a bad album but it's just...it's different. It's not what I expected.

I didn't know there was much of a difference between Death Metal and Thrash.

EDIT

I was also told that Murmaider II doesn't have the ridiculously badass break down from the first album. The one played throughout the episode.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just saw titan maximum, was pretty impressed that it has funny characters and writing, and neat animation to boot.
    like a mix of robot chicken and morel orel
    it's on the site now if y'all haven't seen it

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

I didn't know there was much of a difference between Death Metal and Thrash.

EDIT

I was also told that Murmaider II doesn't have the ridiculously badass break down from the first album. The one played throughout the episode.

It's a fine line, as all sub-sub genre's tend to be. I think the diffinitive Thrash Metal would be old Metallica whereas the difinitive Death Metal would be... I don't know... I guess Deathklock. Or Mastadon or some other rubbish.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Amazon.ca is doing like 44 percent of Adult Swim dvds and I'm debating whether to get Metalocalypse Season 1 & 2, or all 3 seasons of Venture Bros. I can only get one or the other, so anyone have any suggestions?

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mastodon ain't rubbish, boy
    i can't believe that you like dethklok's music and not mastodon, unless you like dethklok purely for the comedy side, which is also hard to believe

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dethalbum is far removed from Mastadon.

Dethalbum II is much more like Mastadon, who I don't mind.

Dethalbum - Castratikon

Most of the songs on Dethalbum sound like Castratikon, my favorite song from the album.

Dethalbum II - Comet Song

Most of the songs on Dethalbum II sound like Comet Song. It's different. It's faster paced and less heavy.

And yes, Dethalbum II is missing the comedy stuff, like

Do you folks like coffee?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still no "Underwater Friends"? :(

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure if I really want Underwater Friends dragged out to a full song.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just saw titan maximum, was pretty impressed that it has funny characters and writing, and neat animation to boot.
    like a mix of robot chicken and morel orel
    it's on the site now if y'all haven't seen it

The animation is nice. Celebrity Deathmatch had impressive animation. Somewhere around the third season, Robot Chicken surpassed CD. This new Titan show beats both of them in the animation department.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought Dethalbum was pretty "Death Metal" ish. I always figured Death Metal, when not focusing on being completely extreme, was pretty similar to all the thrash stuff out there. Hell, Death could be interchangeable with Slayer in some regards.

I've never and probably never will consider Mastodon "Death Metal". I think they're pretty weak. But that's neither here nor there.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brendon Small is a big fan of Thrash, IIRC, so it's not surprising that it would creep in.

Houn on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf3VzVbrXU

I mentioned it before, but I'm going to see Mastodon and Dethklok later this month. Fuck yes.

I'm a huge Mastodon fan. They aren't death metal. Maybe some of their older stuff could be considered death metal, but they've been more psychedelic/ sludge metal more than anything lately. But shit, who cares, it's all semantics. Although apparently their next CD is going to be a lot heavier.

Heavy Mastodon behind spoiler:
    </geekingout>

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't watched any of the comedy shows in quite awhile. Mainly I just stay tune in for Bleach and Moribito.

Speaking of Moribito, AS is doing their goddamndest to make sure nobody ever watches the whole fucking show. They'll start the season, and then randomly push the show back by an hour or so and for an occasional time I think it aired at like 4am or some bullshit. I mean, why would they separate new episodes of Bleach and Moribito between an hour of FMA repeats. shit

JJ on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That Mastadon movie theatre video made me laugh long and hard. I had to leave a comment about some jackass bringing kids into Silent Hill...

Also, I liked Burn the Earth in the show. I'm overjoyed to hear a full version.

Also, it sounds more like Brendon Small live than Nathan Explosion, but it fits.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767