As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [adult swim] is not just for stoners thread

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always wondered why they said linoleum knife in that song. Then I looked it up

20010201_Remodel_Bathroom_page012img002.jpg

That is one bad ass looking knife.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I always wondered why they said linoleum knife in that song. Then I looked it up

hate to drag this further off topic, but if you've ever seen eastern promises, thats the kind of knife the baddies use to kill people with.

they are very, very effective.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

hate to drag this further off topic, but if you've ever seen eastern promises, thats the kind of knife the baddies use to kill people with.

they are very, very effective.

Looks good for throat-cutting.

Reminds me of skinning knives.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man, all this time I thought a linoleum knife was a knife made of linoleum and how silly that was.

JJ on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    man, all this time I thought a linoleum knife was a knife made of linoleum and how silly that was.

haha, you were not alone

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wow, guys. I mean... wow. Really?

Houn on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Overlord wrote: »
    Amazon.ca is doing like 44 percent of Adult Swim dvds and I'm debating whether to get Metalocalypse Season 1 & 2, or all 3 seasons of Venture Bros. I can only get one or the other, so anyone have any suggestions?

since nobody's answered yet, get all of the Venture Bros.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    That Mastadon movie theatre video made me laugh long and hard.
    In my dreams, I manage a movie theater in a college town, and run that before every single 9PM and midnight movie.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Overlord wrote: »
    Amazon.ca is doing like 44 percent of Adult Swim dvds and I'm debating whether to get Metalocalypse Season 1 & 2, or all 3 seasons of Venture Bros. I can only get one or the other, so anyone have any suggestions?

since nobody's answered yet, get all of the Venture Bros.

I think you get deeper more pleasurable watches out of venture brothers, soaking in more each time. Dethklok youill probably just use to scare the shit out of people you know.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I also agree that Dethalbum is better than Dethalbum II

That said, I liked Dethalbum II.
    I think you get deeper more pleasurable watches out of venture brothers, soaking in more each time. Dethklok youill probably just use to scare the shit out of people you know.

Metalocalypse is actually quite funny. You just need to have a semi-morbid sense of humor to fully enjoy it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mastodon ain't rubbish, boy
    i can't believe that you like dethklok's music and not mastodon, unless you like dethklok purely for the comedy side, which is also hard to believe

I find most "Death Metal" to be novelty. Though occasionally pleasurable to the ear, it is so over dramatic and over the top that it is hard to accept it's legitimacy. It does what it does well, and some bands are fantastic, but I absolutely cannot relate to that level of extreme aggression.

I think that's why Metalocalypse has been so successful, they point out how rediculus Death Metal artists trying to take themselves seriously are.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, yes I enjoy the show far more for it's humor than it's music.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    That Mastadon movie theatre video made me laugh long and hard. I had to leave a comment about some jackass bringing kids into Silent Hill...

Also, I liked Burn the Earth in the show. I'm overjoyed to hear a full version.

Also, it sounds more like Brendon Small live than Nathan Explosion, but it fits.

I really enjoy the new album but I agree. Towards the end of the album it doesn't sound like Nathan Explosion at all.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    i can't believe that you like dethklok's music and not mastodon, unless you like dethklok purely for the comedy side, which is also hard to believe

I find most "Death Metal" to be novelty. Though occasionally pleasurable to the ear, it is so over dramatic and over the top that it is hard to accept it's legitimacy. It does what it does well, and some bands are fantastic, but I absolutely cannot relate to that level of extreme aggression.

I think that's why Metalocalypse has been so successful, they point out how rediculus Death Metal artists trying to take themselves seriously are.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, yes I enjoy the show far more for it's humor than it's music.

well, you can call it a novelty, but you have to realize there are many people who do enjoy that music, and though the members of dethklok are idiots, they aren't meant to parody any one metal band. i mean, nathan explosion looks more like a parody of glenn danzig, and toki and skwissgar are parodies of norwegian bands like mayhem. then you have pickles and murderface, probably these guys are based on american bands like korn and slipknot.
    these are all popular bands, and people appreciate seeing little references in the show to real bands, as small is a huge fan of the genre himself. metal artists don't always try to take themselves seriously, as evidenced by the mastodon video. they often have pretty good senses of humor, and many famous metal artists have done voices on the show.
    so, i just find it odd that you can enjoy a show so ingrained in the metal culture while not enjoying the music aspect at all. of course it is hilarious, so i guess it shouldn't be surprising to me.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

well, you can call it a novelty, but you have to realize there are many people who do enjoy that music, and though the members of dethklok are idiots, they aren't meant to parody any one metal band. i mean, nathan explosion looks more like a parody of glenn danzig, and toki and skwissgar are parodies of norwegian bands like mayhem. then you have pickles and murderface, probably these guys are based on american bands like korn and slipknot.
    these are all popular bands, and people appreciate seeing little references in the show to real bands, as small is a huge fan of the genre himself. metal artists don't always try to take themselves seriously, as evidenced by the mastodon video. they often have pretty good senses of humor, and many famous metal artists have done voices on the show.
    so, i just find it odd that you can enjoy a show so ingrained in the metal culture while not enjoying the music aspect at all. of course it is hilarious, so i guess it shouldn't be surprising to me.

i can too

metal blows, metalocalypse is great

Rust on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well...I thought Dethklok was a parody. Since it was hilarious that he was telling people to die in every song. If people do that and take themselves seriously while doing it...>_>.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My wife is (jokingly) worried that Dethklok is going to kill me at their show later this month.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone seen Titan Maximum yet? It was pretty funny. I think it has potential.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My favorite part of Tim and Eric is Dr. Steve Brules.

For your health!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i have a deep love for tim and eric, but so many people hate it
    how can you hate this?
    SPONSORED BY TURBO FUEL!!!!!!!!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Becuase its awful, not funny, and not a parody because that is pretty close to what happens on MTV.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Becuase its awful, not funny, and not a parody because that is pretty close to what happens on MTV.

Well, the first two are opinion, but you obviously do not know what a parody is. That isn't even up for debate.

I also like Tim and Eric.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tim and Eric is hit and miss, for me. That skit is a miss, because it's too accurate. I mean, it's successful in showing off how accurate the parody is, and how much attention they've paid to detail regarding those programs, but none of those things are FUNNY. there's no spin or twist to it. It's similar to when Family Guy goes "Remember that time" and then they animate a 5 second scene from a movie without putting a joke in it.

Except with that example, it's a 5 minute sketch show from MTV that they faithfully recreated. I admire how perfectly they nailed the imitation, but it's not funny.

Steve Brule is fucking hilarious, though.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eleven pages is a lot to read, so I skipped to the end because I just wanted to say....I really miss my Aqua Teen Hunger Force at night. It always came on just as I was sitting down relaxing and had just smoked a nice bowl. It was ideal timing. Alas it is no longer even on.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

Well, the first two are opinion, but you obviously do not know what a parody is. That isn't even up for debate.

I also like Tim and Eric.

Just an FYI when you defend Tim and Eric by using the opinion argument you do not have to announce that you like it because the opinion argument has made that clear.

On alighter note I am saddened that there are no humorous songs on Dethalbum II

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I also agree that Dethalbum is better than Dethalbum II

That said, I liked Dethalbum II.

Metalocalypse is actually quite funny. You just need to have a semi-morbid sense of humor to fully enjoy it.

I agree its really funny(I'm a big fan of the show), but try convincing people who havent seen it before, or adult swim in general, and they will think you are crazy.

Tell people venture brothers is making fun of johnny quest with alot of throwbacks refrences to things of their childhood, and youill grab some attentions while the storyline starts pulling them in. Also I just find that rewatches of Venture brothers are more rewarding then metalocalypse.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

I thought it felt like one looooooooooong Robot Chicken skit which I think works best in the really short segs that RC does. It has potential, but I wasn't a big fan of what I saw.

Local HJ:

I am a fan of some metal, and I have even played in some metal bands. I also realize some Metal bands don't take themselves seriously, and I appreciate how over the top the music is. I think that the show is a loving homage as to how rediculus the genre is for good or bad. The reason I think of Death Metal as a novelty is because it's extremely hard to detect honesty in it. When you look at some of the lyrics, the subject matter is about as relatable as a Ronnie James Dio video. Granted that man had some wicked awesome lyrics that one could relate to.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Jim and Derrick skits are pretty good.

JUST THE DUST!

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought it felt like one looooooooooong Robot Chicken skit which I think works best in the really short segs that RC does. It has potential, but I wasn't a big fan of what I saw.

I thought it WAS a RC skit whenever that 1 minute promo would come out.

Actual show isn't bad either.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm just happy Rachel Leigh Cook has found longterm employment.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hell, you should check out the guest-star list for Robot Chicken. I'm fairly sure this IMDB list, as huge as it is, is incomplete:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437745/fullcredits#cast

Scarlett Johansson's apparently been on the show five times.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I just looked and lo and behold, the Dethklok tour is coming here in November. Awesome.

I agree, I enjoy the first album more than the second, but there's still some great stuff on there. I think it probably has more to do with the fact that I've heard the stuff from the first album exponentially more than the second. My favorite track so far is "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence", from the prison episode. "I Tamper With the Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin" is a very close second, though.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hell, you should check out the guest-star list for Robot Chicken. I'm fairly sure this IMDB list, as huge as it is, is incomplete:

Seth Green's power over women is insane.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

I thought it WAS a RC skit whenever that 1 minute promo would come out.

Actual show isn't bad either.

I thought it was pretty funny, but definitly fits the 15 minute time slot (12 min?) better than the 30 minute slot. The second epidsode was much better than the first.

toolbert on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Man, some of these are really damn bizarre and unexpected, to the point where I question their accuracy.

Like, apparently Christian Slater was Composite Santa.

And Zac Efron as Billy Joel.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Man, some of these are really damn bizarre and unexpected, to the point where I question their accuracy.

Like, apparently Christian Slater was Composite Santa.

And Zac Efron as Billy Joel.

It's probably a bit off. It is IMBD after all. Zac Effron seems logical though. He seems like a decent guy. Disney just owns his soul.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i, um, am not sure if i can link this.
    so i will just post that, if you like tim and eric, google dance floor dale
    just to say now it's pretty NSFW
    but fucking hilarious

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Titan Maximum is awesome.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Back when they used to do Thursday Night Viewer Bumps, I was featured on one. I made some silly post on the [AS] forums in the "Viewer Bump" thread.

"Dear [Adult Swim]

Inuyasha Fans are creepy.

- JustinSane07"

It was during the transition from Futurama to Inuyasha and it popped on the air just as I was about to turn the TV off. I flipped the fuck out and couldn't believe it.

The good 'ole days.

I have seen that bump more times than I can fathom and will probably never stop recognizing it for the rest of my life. Crazy cool dude.

Wait.

Is my bump kinda famous or something?

Where do you keep seeing it?
    I think I saw it a few months back, actually, when they dropped the anime block.
    I remember seeing that one about 7 or 8 years ago whilst on holiday in the US. Think it was during the first episode of the Venture Bros, or 'Quinn Dreaming' Sealab 2021.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Titan Maximum is awesome.

Everyone loves puppet cleavage.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was talking about the fact that it's basically one giant homage to my childhood.

But the cleavage is also nice. As is President Kylo's reaction faces.

Edith Upwards on