As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Come for the ninjas, stay for the public shaming.

1596061626365»

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    So Endless Eight hits the top of the charts but Baccano! doesn't rate high enough for a second series?

Oh, Japan.

I'm watching this Baccano episode now on Hulu. I'm three episodes in and I'm about to give up on it - why the hell is the story jumping all over the place? They drank some magic wine, I get it, and now they're doing some schizzo mixed up storytelling to introduce the characters?

I don't blame Japan for losing patience in this show.

It has three or so main storylines in different time periods told in parallel, with a few jaunts into other times here and there. Once you get a bit into it it is pretty straightforward to figure out which is which when it switches between them. There's the story with the wine bottles, the story surrounding the train, and the story about the sister looking for her brother. They start to tie back together later on.

I'm still not entirely clear on the exact sequence of events. Some of it's obvious because of the big details
    At the beginning when Firo and Luck get gunned down is obviously after Szilard dies since they're immortal.

Some it's more fuzzy to me, but that's probably something that would be more clear if I had watched it more than once. Like...
    whether Isaac and Miria were already immortal before they got on the train.

I mean, IIRC the black suit guys were on the train because of the panacea (so it would be after the events), but I don't recall anything about it actually being put on the train in the first place. Explosives being on the train, sure, but not the panacea.
    Isaac and Miria became immortal at the party Firo became immortal. They all drank the elixir, which Isaac and Miria handed out, thinking it was liquor. They were dressed like a priest and a nun.
    I know that. I'm assuming that that particular story arc takes place both before and after the events of The Flying Pussyfoot.
    It all happens before the train part. The people in the black suits were trying to hold the train hostage to free Huey Laforet. Their devotion to Huey was in hopes of achieving immortality but that was a longterm goal and not directly related to the Pussyfoot hijack.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, anybody care to explain this Endless Eight business to me, as someone who watched the first season but not the second?

cheez on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    It all happens before the train part. The people in the black suits were trying to hold the train hostage to free Huey Laforet. Their devotion to Huey was in hopes of achieving immortality but that was a longterm goal and not directly related to the Pussyfoot hijack.

Got it.
    I had thought that they wanted to free Huey and get the stuff that might have been on the train. I don't know how much they knew about Chane but my original impression was that Huey would have told them to fuck their selves after they killed her. It wasn't until the extra backstory from episodes 14-16 that made me understand Huey and Chane's relationship better (him thinking of her as an experiment as opposed to a daughter).
    cheez wrote: »
    Okay, anybody care to explain this Endless Eight business to me, as someone who watched the first season but not the second?

Some spoilers, but rather minor:
    The club basically ends up repeating the summer vacation for a very long time...I think it was 500 something years when all was said and done. All because Haruhi didn't want it to end (she basically felt that something wasn't finished).

The episodes after the first Endless Eight were basically identical to the first except for one added scene. Everyone's memories except Yuki's were erased though the rest of the club had strange feelings of deja vu. KyoAni re-animated and re-voiced each episode, but it was essentially eight episodes of the same damned thing.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Got it.
    I had thought that they wanted to free Huey and get the stuff that might have been on the train. I don't know how much they knew about Chane but my original impression was that Huey would have told them to fuck their selves after they killed her. It wasn't until the extra backstory from episodes 14-16 that made me understand Huey and Chane's relationship better (him thinking of her as an experiment as opposed to a daughter).
    Senator Beriam does have something very important on the train which I assumed is related to the immortals if he's willing to risk his family for it but I wasn't exactly sure if anything came of it or if anyone else knew about it. I just assume it went up in smoke with explosion anyways.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saw venture bros premiere, thanks for link suggestion.
    Man, do not google CGC 9.6, all the links go to mal-ware ad-ware.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Got it.
    Senator Beriam does have something very important on the train which I assumed is related to the immortals if he's willing to risk his family for it but I wasn't exactly sure if anything came of it or if anyone else knew about it. I just assume it went up in smoke with explosion anyways.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, but it was my understanding that the Senator's wife and daughter were on the train. Wasn't that the little girl Czeslaw made friends with?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The club basically ends up repeating the summer vacation for a very long time...I think it was 500 something years when all was said and done. All because Haruhi didn't want it to end (she basically felt that something wasn't finished).

The episodes after the first Endless Eight were basically identical to the first except for one added scene. Everyone's memories except Yuki's were erased though the rest of the club had strange feelings of deja vu. KyoAni re-animated and re-voiced each episode, but it was essentially eight episodes of the same damned thing.

Wow, that's pretty retarded.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Got it.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, but it was my understanding that the Senator's wife and daughter were on the train. Wasn't that the little girl Czeslaw made friends with?
    His family is on the train but he's willing to sacrifice them for whatever else he had riding on that train

Tertiee on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wow, that's pretty retarded.

The rest of the season was fine. The first episode was off to a really good start, but Endless Eight dragged on too long. After Endless Eight you get to see the making of the school movie. Oh, how I wished Itsuki didn't hold Kyon back.

Endless Eight did make me feel sorry for Yuki. All the repetition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAEd17Tdro

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AW, no new Naruto this week? :(

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No chapter, but the anime is hitting the good part, and is so worth it.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darker Than Black 2 episode 2:
    Ninja contractor fight FUCK YEAH!
    Magician's fucking AWESOME!
    Magician's dead FUCK NO, he better come back.
    Accidental groping!
    Yin is dead or something? FUUUUUUU
    Kick ass.

Kimi ni Todoke 3:
    Pedro Martinez! :lol:
    Heh, "zashiki warashi". Where have I heard that before? :P
    Oh, son of a bitch.
    Between these two shows, and a continuing show or two, I'm set for this anime season.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    WinD finally released the last episode of Higurashi Rei if anyone else was waiting.

Falx on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shana S and Shana-Tan revenge were pretty good. It's been awhile since I've heard Satoshi Hino and Rie Kugimiya in a cutesy exchange.

Sasameki Koto 3: That was a lot more impressive than I expected. The sunset kiss was <3.

I also took a look at Wolf Guy. That is pretty smug.

Joule on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darker Than Black 2 episode 2:
    Ninja contractor fight FUCK YEAH!
    Magician's fucking AWESOME!
    Magician's dead FUCK NO, he better come back.
    Accidental groping!
    Yin is dead or something? FUUUUUUU
    Kick ass.
    Pretty sure Magician isn't dead. Hei just shocked him unconscious and was going to finish things with the knife when the trap went off.

Bakuman this week:
    Nakai continues to be slightly less creepy than Aoki's manager.

Hiramaru's editor continues to keep him mired in debt to keep him writing. And that he's drawing pictures of girls he wants his editor to find for him to date.

The smug look on Miyoshi and Takagi's face after Miyoshi reads out the SMS.

Miura finally pulls ass into gear before fucking things up spectacularly at the end.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bakuman this week
    About time Ashirogi did something against Miura.

In a way, it shows how little Miura knows them.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Bakuman this week

Indeed. Now I'm thinking that the Ten genre shift plan is back on the table, though I am not quite sure how that will happen. But my predictions have been wrong in most previous weeks, and I don't expect to be right this week either.

From the way Yamahisa was talking about presentation to Aoki, you can kind of see his editorial qualities. Of course, it comes out the wrong way and he still comes across as quite creepy and scheming. I don't know if I'm going to like how the Aoki-Nakai-Kato-etc. side story is going to come out...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Bakuman this week

Indeed. Now I'm thinking that the Ten genre shift plan is back on the table, though I am not quite sure how that will happen. But my predictions have been wrong in most previous weeks, and I don't expect to be right this week either.

From the way Yamahisa was talking about presentation to Aoki, you can kind of see his editorial qualities. Of course, it comes out the wrong way and he still comes across as quite creepy and scheming. I don't know if I'm going to like how the Aoki-Nakai-Kato-etc. side story is going to come out...
    I'm just hoping they get Hattori back.

Edit: Maybe I just missed reading it but I sort of made Kato out to like mid 20s tops.

Kelor on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    (More Bakuman discussion)
    Kelor wrote: »
    I'm just hoping they get Hattori back.

Edit: Maybe I just missed reading it but I sort of made Kato out to like mid 20s tops.
    Ah, but getting Hattori back as their editor would be too easy, now wouldn't it! Gotta have some character development in there eventually as we are all hoping. I'm sure that Miura and Hattori will have a talky chapter at some point (perhaps in the next two issues) that will get Miura and Ashirogi seeing eye-to-eye. Or at least moreso.

As for Kato... I did a skim back to earlier chapters; when she's introduced, it's mentioned that she's had two years experience as a manga assistant (c.36), and she mentions herself that she's about eight years older than the pair (c.44). That would put her at about 26 to 28, for our protagonists of age 18-19 in the first part of their freshman year of college. I would chalk it up to a small bit of time stretching, and if you fudge the numbers a little bit, you can make it sort of work out by assuming that Kato's currently 28, she will turn 29 later in the year, and that she will be 30 the year afterward.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joule wrote: »
    Shana S and Shana-Tan revenge were pretty good. It's been awhile since I've heard Satoshi Hino and Rie Kugimiya in a cutesy exchange.

Sasameki Koto 3: That was a lot more impressive than I expected. The sunset kiss was <3.

I'm really loving the Sasameki Koto anime. The presentation of the kiss in particular was not only cute, but the best animated scene in the episode, and also emphasizes Sumika's desperation and longing. So while it was very heartwarming, it was also bitter-sweet.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Bakuman this week

ehhh
    miura fucked up, it's true, but he had the data and he had the reasoning

if he could have just acted like an adult and not blown his top as usual he could have pointed out that artist-kid was acting like a stubborn brat

Rust on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I looked at the Moribito trailer in the SE++ thread... so mad there isn't a boxset yet.

Falx on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    20060417.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.