As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo 3 ODST: Pardon our dust

LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Halo
28mlpc6.jpg
established November 9th, 2004

MEET YOUR NEW DADDY
2w3yvrt.jpg
"The Covenant comes to kill us. And the ODSTs? We do our best to kill them first."

Halo 3: ODST is Bungie's newly released first-person shooter.You are the Rookie, an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper deployed to New Mombasa in Africa at the same time the Master Chief is fighting there in Halo 2. The Prophet of Regret's ship enters slipspace as your pod falls to earth, and the ensuing blast throws the city into disarray and separates you from the other four members of your squad. You wake up at night in the city, and are tasked with finding clues in the open world to the whereabouts of the rest of the squad, and relive their experiences through playable flashbacks.

Halo 3: ODST comes with two discs. One contains the ODST campaign, and a Horde-esque co-operative multiplayer mode for four people called Firefight. As time progresses, gameplay modifiers are added such as the enemies throwing more grenades or your HUD vanishing. If the team wipes, it's game over.
The second disc (known as Halo 3:Mythic) contains the standard Halo 3 multiplayer that we know and love, as well as all previous free and paid DLC maps. Also included are three new maps, Citadel, Longshore and Heretic. This disc is fully compatible with anyone playing vanilla Halo 3 multiplayer and has all the features you'd expect except for the Halo 3 campaign.

Still confused? Charts usually solve that problem - at least, for me.
justbuyodst-formal.png

Still thinking, "Fuck that, I love Nathan Fillion!" Meet Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck.
wcmj5j.jpg
Sergeant Buck has two primary missions: keeping his team alive and stopping the Covenant. Two monumentally tall orders. A lifelong student, Buck’s learned his lessons the hard way. And since he’s not dead, that makes him the ideal candidate to run this operation. When Buck says drop, you say, "Yes, sir!"

vzgche.jpg
Romeo’s tongue is sharp, but his shot is sharper. He’s sarcastic, a touch self-absorbed, and a self-professed ladies man. You don’t need to worry about any of that. Slap a Sniper Rifle in his hands and he’ll earn his keep, one round at a time.
afd05g.jpg
For Dutch, the only good part about dropping into combat is getting his boots on the ground. Once he’s found terra firma, he’s a one man wrecking crew. If you’ve got big problems, Dutch will have very loud answers. It's probably best you stay behind him.
30wqp9d.jpg
Mickey has the distinct pleasure of being the only member on the squad who hasn’t seen everything go all fire and brimstone. He’s a flyboy, but for this mission,he’s the guy that’s tapped to set the charges. If things are going boom, chances are Mickey is at the switch.
24qv228.jpg
And the FNG. The Rookie. Not exactly green; no ODST is. If I didn't think he could do the job, I wouldn't have him on my six. He doesn't say much, but I don't care. I just need him to listen.
2larhts.jpg
And let's not forget Miss Naval Intelligence herself. Check out this lady’s gear. That's definitely not regulation. And her presence alone should have you on high alert - ONI doesn’t send in spooks to take care of routine operations.

These are my men. And I'm dropping them straight into hell.
2wq7ixf.jpg

Naval Intelligence says we're taking down a Covenant carrier that's sitting pretty over New Mombasa. Not what I'd call a routine operation, but it doesn't matter. We know what we're up against because we've seen it all before: Harvest, the Outer Colonies...Reach. The Covenant comes to kill us. And the ODSTs? We do our best to kill them first.
10ftggm.jpg

We're planning for a close-quarters fight, and Navy Special Weapons set us up real nice. The Suppressed M7 SMG. It can tear through armor and turn bad guys into chum. And the M6S Pistol. Whisper-quiet with Armor-Piercing Rounds. Brutes might see us coming...the only thing they're gonna hear is their asses hitting the ground.

Wasn't just our weapons systems, either. Navy eggheads knocked the dust off our electronics, too. VISR, Visual Intelligence System, Reconnaissance, upgrades with uplinks to secure Metropolitan systems; clearance codes to access New Mombasa's Superintendent Artificial Intelligence. That means navigation data on the fly; instant Intel on the field. Hell, we could commandeer the city's garbage trucks if we need to. Course, from what we can tell, the Super isn't exactly in fighting shape. Seems the Covenant have knocked a few screws loose. Won't be a problem. ODST's are used to working in the dark.
mjmm55.jpg

It's simple: If you see green, squad up. If you see red, shoot.

But what about Firefight? well- This is Firefight. And we need every able body we can get. Even yours. Lucky for you, your squad is the best of the best. Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. Problem is, we got alien bastards in the house. Each new wave means more bad guys. Five waves make up a round. Three rounds in a set. Sounds easy, huh? Wrong! See these skulls?
vxypn7.jpg
When they activate, they turn a casual Covenant make-out session into a full-on test of your manly prowess! let's just say they call 'em "difficulty multipliers" for a reason. As long as you're feeling cooperative, there ain't no need to go it alone. Get cozy with up to four players over System Link or Xbox LIVE and firefight with your friends through ten battlefields all over New Mombasa. But it's not just about greasin' bad guys. Sometimes it's all about the glory. Put your boot up enough alien backsides, and the Corps will pin rows of medals on your chest. Might even earn some Achievements too. Badass, unlocked.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Sergeant Major Johnson, these sound like overwhelming odds. I don't wanna drop into hell without an airtight insurance policy." Well, do I have an offer for you! If you pre-ordered your copy of Halo 3: ODST at participating retailers, you'll get all the confidence you need:
2a9v9xs.jpg
ME! He he he, that's right. The toughest, cigar-chompinest marine there is- yours to play in Firefight.

So what are you waiting for? Get set troopers, and prepare to drop.
3.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo 3 is a first-person shooter, the third in the trilogy after Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. You are the Master Chief, an artifically-augmented seven-foot supersoldier known as a Spartan to the United Nations Space Command Marine Corps and the Demon to the Covenant, a collected alien force made up of several different races. The Covenant believe that their purpose is to usher in Judgement Day, based on the teachings of the Prophets, of which only one remains. To do this, they must light the Halos, structures in space. Their real purpose, however, is to extinguish all sentient life in the universe, as they are a last resort weapon created by an ancient race, to eliminate any food source for the all-consuming hyperintelligent parasite known as the Flood.
wars.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo Wars is a real-time strategy game developed by Ensemble, the company behind Age of Empires. It takes place before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and tells the story of the previous Arbiter of the Covenant and the battle for control of the planet Harvest. The Covenant have uncovered a Forerunner artifact that leads to a site now occupied by humans. After travelling from planet to planet, a plot is uncovered that could threaten the survival of humanity.

reach.jpg
AVAILABLE TBA 2010
Halo: Reach is a first-person shooter. Little is known at this time, other than it takes place immediately before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and will tell the story of the attack on the human-occupied and defensive cornerstone planet Reach by the Covenant. A multiplayer beta of Halo: Reach will be included with Halo: ODST.

"I'm not here for that campaign nonsense! I'm here to play online with cool dudes," I hear you cry, in that unlovely way of yours. Well, you're in luck! TBK, The Bees' Knees, have been around since 2004 and take their name from the Halo 2 ARG, 'I Love Bees'. No matter what gametype you like playing, you'll find someone who shares your interests here to team up with. Unless you play Lone Wolves, in which case you'll have trouble teaming up.

You don't need the paid maps to play with us, and if you don't have them already, I'd suggest not buying them, as they all come packaged for free with Halo 3: ODST in September, as described in the post above. However, there's no reason not to grab the free maps, and if you want to grab the paid ones, these images will come in quite handy.
heroic_download.png coldstorage_download.png
legendary_download.png mythic_download.png

Now you have the arenas, you need gladiators to fill them with. Fortuitous, then, that I happen to have my class register right here.
The Usual Suspects:

fyre.jpg thrill.jpg muffin.jpg tomcat.jpg ghost.jpg pancake.jpg degami.jpg yardgnome.jpg beeb.jpg kor.jpg lookfree.jpg ratsult.jpg viscount.jpgbrowncoat.jpg
teaparty.jpgspider.jpgdogeight.jpg

--

colonel.jpg major.jpg willeth.jpg yorker.jpg

Things you need to know ahead of time: Yorker is mute, X is diabetic, Major Leitner is annoying, and Beeb is only here for comic relief.

This list collates the more active folks - there are many others, and you can become one of them very easily. Post in the thread, say hi, add a few of us as friends and play some games with us. As long as you're not the typical shit-flinging retard that Xbox Live seems to cultivate, you're welcome to do so and to call yourself a Bee.

Join this if you're looking for Firefight players

ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
LookFreeGrenade on

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh god I can't fucking wait another night.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What is NXE?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    last thread died before her time, really

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope I don't get any homework today because there is no way I am working on it tomorrow.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Diggin the new controller.

Leitner on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm home after celebrating my degree results (check me out with a 2:1, whoo), and I'll probably not be jumping on to finish ODST tonight because of alcohol. I expect to complete it tomorrow. I'll probably then be running through some of the missions again - some of them are just that much fun.

Those on a midnight launch just now, enjoy. Those six to ten hours behind, enjoy it then, I guess. I'll probably have time to go to sleep and wake up again before your line is over. :)

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the OP, though are Willeths pics gone so quickly?

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ETA: Four hours, 32 minutes.

Damn the slow passage of time.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Leitner, what's it like?! And what's the controller like?

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Willeth's thread got locked before I could quote his post, working that out now

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Leitner, what's it like?! And what's the controller like?

Installng to hard-drive now. Chill man, I may throw up a post of mid game impressions just before I hit the hay.

Lookfree, just ask Echo, I'm sure he'd be able to oblige.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lookfree, I have the text file still on my PC with all the BBcode intact if you want me to upload it somewhere. That might be easiest.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be playing this tonight, hit me up if you want someone to firefight with.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be playing this ASAP after the midnight launch, add me for some Firefight.

Probably heading to the GameStop at around 9 pm (central).

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I'll go take a nap before heading to GS.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'll take you up on that offer willeth

I gotta get going here in about 2 hours. Pretty excited

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    everyone playing firefight as Rookie

very lame

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have Mickey set up, sans helmet, with my Halo 3 emblem slightly colour-shifted. It's great.

I'll boot up my computer and upload the file to a secret location, Lookfree. Looking forward to getting my Firefight on with you folks tomorrow.

Willeth on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice, oh and Willeth I send you a friend invite, I think it only just now sent though for some reason.

Only 5 and a 1/2 hours for us central folks.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You've probably grabbed one of my coveted three spots. Man, I need to do a ruthless clearout of my list at some point soon.

Willeth on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't really picked an ODST to use in firefight, I want to play a little campaign and see who I dig the most.

Can barely fucking wait for tomorrow night. No sleep for classes the next day.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slightly related, the season premiere of Castle, starring your favorite ODST Sgt Nathan Fillion is on tonight, for those of you not getting the game till tomorrow.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    so this takes place during Halo 2, right?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    so this takes place during Halo 2, right?

Yes.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, after Chief leaves the city

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So yeah, I'm pretty much ready to buy this come Tuesday at TRU for the gift card.

Are we collecting XBL names? Dr Shizuma needs some more squadmates.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I never played Halo 2

I wonder how the A.I. in this game will interact with you. I hope he's less like Cortana and more like, oh

I don't know

Durandal (not likely :( )

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Relation to Halo 2, pretty spoilery for ODST:
    Honestly it feels like it's the plot that they couldn't fit into Halo 2, expanded. The main reason I'm saying this is that there's a ton of parallel with I Love Bees, that I'm sure will be picked apart for months to come.

I recommend anyone familiar with Halo lore outside of the games reads the first few pages of the manual.

EDIT: RE the Superintendent -
    he's a dumb AI, not a smart AI like Cortana. He's programmed to manage the city, and what limited communication he has with you is done through that medium - if he wants you to go a certain way, he'll display road signs, that sort of thing.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bungie should make a new Myth game

(I don't care that they don't own the I.P. anymore)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well they said they're at least making one new IP along with reach

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    it better have a narrator between levels

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    First post once again has Bee info thanks to Willeth, get some friend requests in

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    so, I mentioned this in the last thread to no avail:

Xbox live disconnects whenever I try to do matchmaking in Halo 3, but not any other games. Any reason why?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Daw I'm out of the OP. :(

browncoat.jpg

Is this cause I'm not going to be a midnight BrODST?

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel dumb for asking, but what is fng?

Also, it looks like I will be among those picking up their copies tomorrow at lunch. Have a good time with the midnight launch you crazy bastids :P

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fucking New Guy

also my only suggestion is try xbox support lines Kaz

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I cant wait for this but I wont be able to play till tomorrow.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fresh new . . . grunt? *shrugs*

I, like another poster mentioned in the previous thread, have kept myself almost completely unaware of ODST details; I really know nothing going in. I believe this might be a good thing.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also copy/paste from GAF

Don’t forget to save and quit at the end of your single-player session.

The game’s new Firefight mode — a co-operative multiplayer brawl that pits up to four players against waves of Covenant troops — seems to be the big culprit. Here’s what happens: A solo player engrossed in the game’s campaign gets an invite to join a Firefight match. He quickly accepts the invite and jumps out of his game, unwittingly losing whatever progress he’d made in the single-player game.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/09/dont-forget-to-save-before-halo-3-odst-firefights/

Although maybe the guy just didn't have a checkpoint in a whiiiile.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
This discussion has been closed.