As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was expecting Beckett to declare herself as 'Nikki Heat.'

I thought that would've been too much of a cop-out (get it?), but didn't know what to expect other than something sexy. One of my favorite episodes from last season is still the one with the ex-jewel thief where she's in the strapless red dress.

Excuse me, have to wipe up my drool here.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I was also really hoping he was going to the party as Bill Pardy instead of Poe though.

That would have been some fucked up shit...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome ep, largely because of the first few minutes, of course.

Anyone think the trenchcoat was a Buffy reference too?

284px-2x16_Bewitched_Bothered_Bewildered_2.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Awesome ep, largely because of the first few minutes, of course.

Anyone think the trenchcoat was a Buffy reference too?

Sometimes a trench coat is just a trench coat.

Ketar on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    I quite enjoy this show. But you know what? It's a pretty mediocre cop show. That portion is fairly plain, commonplace, and often predictable. You know what else, though? It doesn't matter

This show is great because of the characters. They're just so awesome! I love the way they interact with each other, play off each other, and carry themselves. They're just so entertaining to follow along. I love it!

I'm routinely surprised by the other actors holding their own against Castle and Beckett.

I thought Castle's daughter had the best line of the most recent episode, "Didn't you wear that five years ago?" and Esposito and Ryan continue to be awesome.

I agree with the cop part. While they're usually at least interesting, its not uncommon for me to correctly guess who the murderer was and for what reason. The characters make it worthwhile tho, I really enjoy the banter.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Murder She Wrote it ain't, and I don't think it's even trying to be.

To be completely honest, it seems like they're going for the cheesy hardball detective drama that exists in Niki Heat-style bestsellers.

Ender on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's exactly what they're doing. This is hardly a show that takes itself seriously.

Raynaga on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which makes it delicious.

clsCorwin on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So apparently there was a hidden Firefly reference, and someone just figured it out in twitter. I'll spoil it in case anyone wants to hunt for it-
    When Fillion pops out in his firefly costume, in one of the bookcases you can see the Catalyzer from 'Out of Gas'. You know ,that thing that Mal had to put into the engine to get it to start again.

noir_blood on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    Murder She Wrote it ain't, and I don't think it's even trying to be.

To be completely honest, it seems like they're going for the cheesy hardball detective drama that exists in Niki Heat-style bestsellers.

It seems that way to me--they're eating up the cheesy cop show stuff, and having fun with it.

LaOs on
    edited October 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So apparently there was a hidden Firefly reference, and someone just figured it out in twitter. I'll spoil it in case anyone wants to hunt for it-
    When Fillion pops out in his firefly costume, in one of the bookcases you can see the Catalyzer from 'Out of Gas'. You know ,that thing that Mal had to put into the engine to get it to start again.

Beat'd:
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Had to go back and watch my copy on the DVR after Fillion mentioned it on twitter:

when he bursts out the door in the Mal costume, there's a certain Nothing Part Until You Need One sitting on the shelf

[Edit]
    At least, I'm assuming you two are talking about the same thing, as I've never seen Firefly so wouldn't have gotten the reference even if I did see it.

LaOs on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Beat'd:
    Had to go back and watch my copy on the DVR after Fillion mentioned it on twitter:

when he bursts out the door in the Mal costume, there's a certain Nothing Part Until You Need One sitting on the shelf

[Edit]
    At least, I'm assuming you two are talking about the same thing, as I've never seen Firefly so wouldn't have gotten the reference even if I did see it.

?!?

Go.

Buy it.

Watch it.

NOW!

TheMarshal on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TheMarshal wrote: »

Beat'd:

[Edit]

?!?

Go.

Buy it.

Watch it.

NOW!

Or ...

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=firefly&st=0

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    edited October 2009

Beat'd:

[Edit]

?!?

Go.

Buy it.

Watch it.

NOW!

Or ...

I saw Serenity at least. :P

Also, re: Hulu
    Saskatoon

LaOs on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Beat'd:

[Edit]

?!?

Go.

Buy it.

Watch it.

NOW!

Or ...

Saskatoon

$20 fun bucks!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2009

Beat'd:

[Edit]

?!?

Go.

Buy it.

Watch it.

NOW!

Or ...

Saskatoon

$20 fun bucks!

Secret Sodomizers is coming up :P

LaOs on
    edited October 2009
    Serenity will become a much better movie once you've seen the series that spawned it.

Raynaga on
    edited October 2009
    And paying for the DVD's (or Blu-Ray) will show your true love for the series!

TheMarshal on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just finished the Nikki Heat book Heatwave, and it is a pretty solid mystery book. If you like the show then you will definitly like the book, and I found the mystery much better then what they normally have in the show.

Only drawback is the book is a short novel, took me a few days to read it. It's about only 200 pages.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just finished the Nikki Heat book Heatwave, and it is a pretty solid mystery book. If you like the show then you will definitly like the book, and I found the mystery much better then what they normally have in the show.

Only drawback is the book is a short novel, took me a few days to read it. It's about only 200 pages.

annoyingly, it's not out in the UK yet.

Next month's book allowance will include this though.

Also, much enjoying the second season of Castle, and I did squeeeeeee a lot when there were all the Firefly references. :P

BobCesca on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decent episode tonight, couple of moments that made me chuckle. Why, o why, is it always the guys that are the guilty party? Come on writers, let's see a female culprit please :(

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raakam wrote: »
    Decent episode tonight, couple of moments that made me chuckle. Why, o why, is it always the guys that are the guilty party? Come on writers, let's see a female culprit please :(

Um... last week?

Taramoor on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Um... last week?

Last week, the partner in crime of the Arctic exploration CIA agent, the wife of the councilman who'd been having an affair... So yeah, that's at least 3 right off the top of my head.

Ketar on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

Um... last week?

Last week, the partner in crime of the Arctic exploration CIA agent, the wife of the councilman who'd been having an affair... So yeah, that's at least 3 right off the top of my head.

Well, yea, if you put it that way... ever since I got married, when husbands are the murderers, it just grates on me, 'cause we're not all fuming lunatics :(

ps: Obama killed her.

spoiler for next week's episode synopsis

Episode Synopsis: A bike messenger is murdered en route to delivering evidence that could free a man from prison. The case is linked to a murder Capt. Montgomery probed 10 years ago, and a prominent New York family's secrets figure into the investigation.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also the woman who kidnapped her own kid (or killed? I forget the exact details other than...)
    Carla from Scrubs!

Bobble on
    edited November 2009
    Good ep, only thing bad about it was the stupid song throughout and the mini concert at the end.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2009
    I dunno, this episode didn't really do it for me.

The bus scene in particular was really jarring. I know the focus of the show isn't the cop side, but that was blatantly implausible and screamed amateur police show writing to me.

Raynaga on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah this episode didn't really do it for me either, particularly the cheesy ending.

John Matrix on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This definitely seemed like a filler episode, but it was still good. Nice little Castle isn't just a big twelve year old and actually cares about his kid and hates bad people moment.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited November 2009
    Only thing that was kind of silly about getting angry about the rape... Uhh he also killed her Castle so you know on the scale of bad things the murder is a bit above rape.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bah the case got in the way of wacky goodness.

I didn't like playing 'interpret the lyrics'.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Only thing that was kind of silly about getting angry about the rape... Uhh he also killed her Castle so you know on the scale of bad things the murder is a bit above rape.

Castle is the father of a teenage daughter. The dude betrayed the girl's trust (and later killed her). I for one find his anger over the rape perfectly understandable.

TheMarshal on
    edited November 2009

Castle is the father of a teenage daughter. The dude betrayed the girl's trust (and later killed her). I for one find his anger over the rape perfectly understandable.

I dunno I guess I got a little "Why so serious?" The one thing I really like about this show is that we don't get a csi miami david caruso kneeling to a child moment.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2009

Also the dude was a father figure for the girl, so double whammy of anger.

Kagera on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which is a bit of an issue. Why is it always the distraught parent/spouse figure that they have to tell at the beginning of the episode lately? This week, last week, that model's husband...

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited November 2009
    A coating of realism for the show? In reality people usually are wronged (murdered, assaulted, raped) by those closest to them not some random person.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Castle has the best one liners.

"...She was hiding from change"

"She hated Obama!"

Jawa on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jawa wrote: »
    Castle has the best one liners.

"...She was hiding from change"

"She hated Obama!"

I didn't care much for this episode. But I did love that line.

Tomanta on
    edited November 2009
    Which is a bit of an issue. Why is it always the distraught parent/spouse figure that they have to tell at the beginning of the episode lately? This week, last week, that model's husband...

To be fair I don't really pay attention to the cases other than how the characters play off of what happens.

Like I have no damn clue who killed what last week nor do I really care.

Kagera on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A coating of realism for the show? In reality people usually are wronged (murdered, assaulted, raped) by those closest to them not some random person.

Psh, realism schmealism. The point of a mystery is to have the victim be unpredictable enough that you have to figure it out. It's not like "crazy stalker" or "abusive druggie bandmate" aren't viable suspects, either.

Not that it matters much. We're all watching this show more for the funny sexy adventures of Mystery Writer Mal, not for the elaborate mystery plots. But still.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.