As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Wonder how many allusions we'll get. Beckett even mentioning the "lying killer"'s words of wisdom was a little silly, but then I was unreasonably annoyed with the killer spilling his guts as happens 99.99% of the time.

Alexis and Ma Beckett better turn up next episode.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    khain wrote: »
    Are the books you guys are talking about the Nikki Heat books and if so are they actually good?

I haven't read the newest one yet, but the previous three are like a typical episode of Castle with all the same humor, action, and suspense. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is a fan of the show.

I'm really happy with the way the first two episodes have played out. The ending of the first episode seemed a little ... I don't want to say unrealistic ... almost anti-climactic. I am really interested to see how the ending gets threaded back into the overall mix.
    I do think though that, with Castle and Beckett together, there is going to be some sort of hostage situation again at some point. It just seems like that would make the most sense as for an end of the year "serious episode" type of mentality.

The last episode was pretty awesome though, with all of the random hijinks between Castle and Beckett and the re-uniting of the gang. The video at the end where Respo gets whooped was pretty damn funny.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Well if the books are any indicator to future episodes,
    Castle has to take bullet for Beckett and almost die. That's pretty much the only major thing in the books that isn't mirrored somehow from the show.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Well if the books are any indicator to future episodes,
    Castle has to take bullet for Beckett and almost die. That's pretty much the only major thing in the books that isn't mirrored somehow from the show.

Beckett was shot at the end of S3.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Funny thing about the Castle books: they did pretty well on the New York Times best seller list. The first went to #6, the second went to #7, the third went to #1, and the fourth went to #7. So, the series about an author who writes #1 best selling novels produced a media tie-in novel that became a #1 best seller under the fictional authors name.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I really would like to know who ghostwrites those books.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

There may be more then one author. Though I'd like them to eventually publish new novels based on Castle itself.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I always assumed it was one (or all) of the authors that Castle played poker with in the first season.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I always assumed it was one (or all) of the authors that Castle played poker with in the first season.

Hah. That would be amazing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    My original guess was Stephen J Cannell but he died.

All of the author's notes are obviously written by the real author as they thank the actors in castle using their first names. The author's notes also read similar so I think only one person is writing the books. Others may be suggesting things though. I tired to figure it out and I think I narrowed it to one of the show writers who was not on the list of initials being thanked. Obviously the writer would not thank him/herself.

Also Beckett getting shot compared to the book,
    Isn't really the same thing as Rook getting shot. Beckett gets shot by a rifle at long range. She is also a police officer. Rook is a civilian who actively went out of his way to jump in front of the bullet to save Heat.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Google: Tom Straw's (most likely) the author.

I do remember, 100%, Nathan Fillion stating in some interview or podcast or other that he shared a scene with the author in the episode 'Heat Wave' is released, and that website confirms that Tom Straw (or a dead ringer) appeared in said episode.

There's always the possibility it's an elaborate ruse, or whatever, but... it's probably about as much closure as you'll get.

Didn't read the books, though.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Wouldnt it be funny if Nathan Fillion was the real writer?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah I don't think he's written anything, and in the writers notes he thanks "Nathan" which could be a false flag, but I doubt it. I'd figure the author is probably one of the series creators/writers, finally getting to do what he wanted in the first place. And they are enjoyable mystery books to boot.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

All of the author's notes are obviously written by the real author as they thank the actors in castle using their first names. The author's notes also read similar so I think only one person is writing the books. Others may be suggesting things though. I tired to figure it out and I think I narrowed it to one of the show writers who was not on the list of initials being thanked. Obviously the writer would not thank him/herself.

Isn't really the same thing as Rook getting shot. Beckett gets shot by a rifle at long range. She is also a police officer. Rook is a civilian who actively went out of his way to jump in front of the bullet to save Heat.

Anyone know the authors from the pilot? IIRC Patterson is a brand name like Tony Clancy, who farm their work out to ghost writers.

• Options
    It was Cannel, Patterson, Dennis Lahane, Micheal Connelly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Another good ep last night, I like how Martha knew Castle and Beckett were together and I'm also glad the case didn't mirror any family drama. Also it was nice to have PJJ get some funny characterization even if it was obvious what was going to happen, they need to do something with her to put her more in the show and I'm hoping last night was an indication of some better writing for her, Gates can be a good character they just need to humanize her a bit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, last night's ep.
    - I read the blood as "317" right off, so I knew that they were reading it wrong from the very beginning.
    - I knew that there had to be something hidden in the doll the very instant Gates took an interest in it, and that Castle'd be breaking it.

So, yeah, both of the "twists" in the mystery were so damn formulaic that I was unintentionally calling them long before they were important to the plot. Oh well. At least the new Castle/Beckett dynamic is making for some really entertaining writing. I was really waiting for someone to call them out on that "handshake", though.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wait, Laney and Espozito dated, why can't Castle and Beckett?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Wait, Laney and Espozito dated, why can't Castle and Beckett?

If I were to guess, it's because they don't directly work with one another (completely different departments).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Well that and Espo is a man in the department and its different for women. I mean Laney is in the morgue and seems to be good at her job (though I do like the oblivious white guy who's name I can't remember who occaisionally shows up and has disdain for well everyone), so she's not in any danger, but Beckett banging Castle would be a mark against her.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well that and Espo is a man in the department and its different for women. I mean Laney is in the morgue and seems to be good at her job (though I do like the oblivious white guy who's name I can't remember who occaisionally shows up and has disdain for well everyone), so she's not in any danger, but Beckett banging Castle would be a mark against her.

I think it's really more a matter that Castle isn't an employee of the NYPD, and Gates already doesn't like him. If their relationship was public, it would be similar to Ryan bringing his wife to work with him.

• Options
    Honestly when the show ends hopefully next season Beckett should just retire from the NYPD and live with Castle. Shouldn't even be a big case that does it, she just looks at how her life is going, sees that Espo and Ryan can handle it (thus setting those two up for a spin off) and she goes off to be a princess in her own Castle...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly when the show ends hopefully next season Beckett should just retire from the NYPD and live with Castle. Shouldn't even be a big case that does it, she just looks at how her life is going, sees that Espo and Ryan can handle it (thus setting those two up for a spin off) and she goes off to be a princess in her own Castle...

Boooooooo!

• Options
    Look the Rick was with me.

I did like how Castle had a Dean Winchester moment with the wonder twins bit. Also I liked how he told Espo that he didn't have to buy him off since he already likes him. Honestly Castle should have just bought two of those dolls for Gates and got back into her graces.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, I actually expected that he'd buy her new ones before the episode ended, but then we wouldn't be back to the Status Quo.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually expected that he'd buy her new ones before the episode ended, but then we wouldn't be back to the Status Quo.

I like PJJ as an actress, I hope Castle finds something to do with her, the doll thing was one of the first times she had a real character moment. That and her liking Castle's book (thanks for reminding the fans there was another Castle book subtle guys). What they need to do is have her be involved in a case where she's vulnerable and she opens up about something.

Have it be what looks like a suicide by a cop she investigated at IA that points the finger at her for going after a clean cop that ruined his life. Damn it I'm just giving away gold here!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I just watched an episode of Castle in French. The French voice actor who does Castle sounds exactly like a French Nathan Fillion. It was utterly uncanny. My wife and I both burst out laughing how spot on it was.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I thought all the stuff with Gates was totally horrible since it screamed "I AM ACTING!" the moment she opened her mouth.
    No one telling her the stuff was from an investigation was bad enough, but it went off the charts when she was forced to be happy about the doll. Maybe I am alone in this, but it was just ugh.

They seem to be blowing it with booting Alexis off the show (or close enough, need to look into that) before she can rake Castle over the coals about Beckett, otherwise it was a decent ep. Ma Beckett was around just enough, Castle buying his own money, and, well...Alexis was a little flat, but can win them all.

• Options
    Yeah, the twist
    with the doll was painfully obvious. I called it the moment he handed it over, and spent the rest of the episode hoping I was wrong. And then they kept inching towards it over and over. By the end I just wanted to strangle someone for not breaking open the stupid doll sooner.

• Options
    Alexis has been getting phased out of the show since at least last season. Her leaving is a benefit, less obvious family drama tie in to the main case.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Odds that the next book really will have a character named after that guy's mom?

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Odds that the next book really will have a character named after that guy's mom?

It god damn well better. He made a deal!

• Options
    I can only figure it will. I mean its just a name I'm sure they can fit Eunice (I think that was the name) in there, if they already haven't.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

There may be more then one author. Though I'd like them to eventually publish new novels based on Castle itself.

I honestly don't. An expanded universe leads to contradiction, non-reference and lesser levels of canon. The books that we get are basically non-canon Castle stories that fully exist within the Castle canon.

The books and the show aren't always a 1:1 match.
    For example, Rook and Heat sleep together in the very first book.

Each book tends to reference somewhat the season that came before it. At the end of the third season/third book, one of the two leads got shot. In writing that scene, Castle was motivated by Beckett's shooting, it's his way of saying that he would have taken the bullet for her if he could have.

• Options
    Honestly, I'd be happy if they just ghostwrote Rick's entire back-catalog.

• Options
    I'd probably read them.

I tend not to read much in the way of media tie-in novels, and haven't in about a decade, but I'll make an exception every now and then for something fun, and the Castle books have applied so far.

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    I thought they had released some Derek Storm novella's recently. They do have that Marvel published Derek Storm Trade Paperback comic they released. I'm enjoying this season so far. The attempts to hide their relationship is refreshing when compared to the Will They/Won't They stuff.

• Options
    It was the Derek Storm Comic Book (based on the first Derek Storm novel that was never written), wasn't it?

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's called Deadly Storm. I have it, but haven't had the chance to read it yet. The inside cover actually lists all the (never really written) Derek Storm novels, 11 in total. Plus another 9 titles that aren't Derek Storm or Nikki Heat novels. So if ABC really wants to milk it, there's plenty of titles to be ghost written for the show.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I honestly don't. An expanded universe leads to contradiction, non-reference and lesser levels of canon. The books that we get are basically non-canon Castle stories that fully exist within the Castle canon.

They can follow Trek's example then, the books don't have to be canon. Continuity & canon don't have to be frustrating things to a franchise. Not every licensed novel or comic has insane levels of canon like Star Wars does.