As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Compared to burn notice, yes the characters on Castle have evolved more so than previous. Also Castle's selling point is not some central conflict like burn notice, so it makes sense to be able to ignore the central story arc.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I kinda wish that they would just have 2-3 episodes in a row dealing with the central story. I feel like they're always so on the brink of having a shitstorm come down that every episode where they get close to it and then back away makes me wonder why the guy/girl behind it all just doesn't get more proactive in this whole mess.

2-3 episodes would let them be able to deal with it in a semi-realistic (time-wise) manner

But yeah, I'd say nearly all the characters on Castle have been changing, albeit slowly and subtly. Which I like- They feel a bit more like real people realizing certain things about themselves. They aren't going to change 100% over night, but they'll slowly integrate the changes into their life. [/probably reading into it too much]

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    For the same reason they're still barely past hand holding into the wild territory of back-of-hand-rubbing: They gotta stretch everything out for as long as possible according to the TV Writer Handbook.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote:
    For the same reason they're still barely past hand holding into the wild territory of back-of-hand-rubbing: They gotta stretch everything out for as long as possible according to the TV Writer Handbook.

Well, at least for the most part it is handled well- Bad timing more than anything. It isn't like Friends were everyone gets involved with everyone and drops relationships every 3 episodes.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Well, shows that have two main characters with a ton of sexual tension tend to die off after that sexual tension is resolved.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Well, shows that have two main characters with a ton of sexual tension tend to die off after that sexual tension is resolved.

and the Moonlighting Myth resurfaces.

• Options
    Yeah, I wish that damn thing would die already. But since it hasn't so far chances are it'll last until TV itself implodes and is rebuilt.

• Options
    Bobble wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

and the Moonlighting Myth resurfaces.

Really?

Huh. I remember watching a documentary years ago that detailed all the instances where it happened. If it's not true, cool.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The "Moonlight Myth" is that audiences tune in for the sexual tension, and once the tension is released they get bored.

The truth behind the concept is that TV writers tend to suck at making continuing relationships interesting. Just look at what happened to The Office after Jim and Pam got together.

For reasons I'm too tired to go into right now, I think Castle would still work if they got together, mostly because their personalities conflict in a lot of areas besides just "I want to sleep with you but you don't want to acknowledge you want to sleep with me".

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Also, as this article points out, there were a ton of problems with Moonlighting creatively/behind the scenes at the point that led to its creative downswing at that point. "It sucked because they got together" is just an easy scapegoat.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Yeah, this came up a lot when Chuck's writers were putting off the Chuck/Sarah relationship.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote:
    Yeah, this came up a lot when Chuck's writers were putting off the Chuck/Sarah relationship.

But Chuck ende up staying interesting. Much like how Fringe handled it (albeit with a rather substantial monkey wrench in the current season)

Resolving the tension isn't the end of a show if it has other things going for it, and those are two perfect recent examples. I hope Castle doesn't rely on the sexual tension as a crutch for TOO much longer, because I know the show could work well without it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote:

But Chuck ende up staying interesting. Much like how Fringe handled it (albeit with a rather substantial monkey wrench in the current season)

Resolving the tension isn't the end of a show if it has other things going for it, and those are two perfect recent examples. I hope Castle doesn't rely on the sexual tension as a crutch for TOO much longer, because I know the show could work well without it.

Oftentimes the show fails after its romantic leads get together because the show was conceived of as a show with sexual tension between the leads. That's how a show is designed in the first season, and no thought has been put into how the show will work in the n-th season. To make that transition is like replacing a main character on the show; it's difficult, because a new rhythm, a new dynamic, a new chemistry needs to be established, but it's not impossible.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Nominating "Like a Leprechaun" for new thread title.

• Options
    Houn wrote:

Best line since "never let murder ruin a good time."

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Say "boyo"

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    These accents are not good at all.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Houn wrote:

Seconded. Motion carries.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote:

You're looking at this wrong. The accents are incredible, boyo!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Best. Episode. Ever. Hands down ... I love this old pulp/noir stuff.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:

Yeah, it's pulp/noir. Complaining about the accents is like complaining about the overblown analogies.

Though, saying that, I will agree Fillion's voice is too high to pull off Bogart without coming off too "newsie", but it still worked.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    The only accent I was bothered by was Beckett's -- the others were over-the-top enough to be entertaining, but hers was so sparse that it was jarring every time she spoke.

• Options
    Great ep, and really interesting. Nice change of pace and I wish more shows did noir.

Every time Molly Quinn stepped on screen was a 'Hrnnng!" moment. She is just astonishingly beautiful.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    They had a few loose plot threads however.

if they stuck the butterfly in the wall, how did it end up in the secret safe?
    or was the real one still in the wall and the fake was planted to get stan away from them?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote:
    They had a few loose plot threads however.

if they stuck the butterfly in the wall, how did it end up in the secret safe?
    or was the real one still in the wall and the fake was planted to get stan away from them?

Who says he pulled it from the safe? Yes, it would be odd that he want back thru the building if he pulled it from the wall, but nobody actually saw him pull it from the safe.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I may have missed something, because this is stupid, but I'm assuming the real one is in the wall still and the one they found was a replacement that was passed off as the real one after it got stashed in the wall.

I'm also assuming it was fake the entire time and it got found.

Also the above as Bobble said.

So I'm good.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    No one knew it was in the wall except for the old couple, right? And didn't they find the secret safe pried open?

• Options
    Yeah, the secret safe was just opened with the green piece of metal he pried from the window. if he had going outside, he would not have had a reason to go downstairs into the office. which means whatever he got was from the secret safe.

• Options
    OK, here's the timeline as I remember it. Anyone fill in if I miss it:

TV star squats the club to threaten the victim.
    Victim visits old couple, knows things that scare them, threatens to reveal their true identities
    Old Couple tells him where the necklace was (maybe the wall, maybe the second safe. #Tinfoilhat)
    TV star chloroformed
    Victim killed in club with fake necklace. Now I think it makes more sense that he pulled it from the 2nd safe (why come back in if he was at the wall outside?)
    TV star sadly wakes up.

Did I miss a spot? Does that make sense? I'm now on board with the 'real necklace still in the wall' theory, but Castle/Beckett didn't catch on & go collect, so I know it's not likely.

• Options
    Something is stupid no matter what happened, best to forget about it.

• Options
    Bobble wrote:

Victim visits old couple, knows things that scare them, threatens to reveal their true identities
    Old Couple tells him where the necklace was (maybe the wall, maybe the second safe. #Tinfoilhat)
    TV star chloroformed
    Victim killed in club with fake necklace. Now I think it makes more sense that he pulled it from the 2nd safe (why come back in if he was at the wall outside?)
    TV star sadly wakes up.

Did I miss a spot? Does that make sense? I'm now on board with the 'real necklace still in the wall' theory, but Castle/Beckett didn't catch on & go collect, so I know it's not likely.

Or maybe they just thought, like the couple, it was better left un-found.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Yeah, it's pulp/noir. Complaining about the accents is like complaining about the overblown analogies.

Though, saying that, I will agree Fillion's voice is too high to pull off Bogart without coming off too "newsie", but it still worked.

He did okay, but nobody can do Bogey but Bogey

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Not that I didn't enjoy this episode (pastiche Castle is my favorite Castle, I think), but it did showcase how noir really doesn't work for the show.
    The line Castle quotes at the end, "the stuff dreams are made of"? The original is cynical to the core, and the point of the line is that dreams are a false promise that only bring pain. Castle, on the other hand, is saying exactly the opposite: that dreams, while sometimes false, should be preserved and enjoyed. It's the same impulse that led the writers to first 'save' Joe and Vera and then interpret their double-homicide death-faking as "self-defense". A real noir would have seen Joe and Vera murder the two victims out of desperation, an act of sin which decades later would come back to haunt them. In this episode, guilt is excused (or put onto an inanimate diamond necklace), happy endings won, and illusions maintained. It's all very "Castle" but Raymond Chandler would shake his head.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote:
    Not that I didn't enjoy this episode (pastiche Castle is my favorite Castle, I think), but it did showcase how noir really doesn't work for the show.
    The line Castle quotes at the end, "the stuff dreams are made of"? The original is cynical to the core, and the point of the line is that dreams are a false promise that only bring pain. Castle, on the other hand, is saying exactly the opposite: that dreams, while sometimes false, should be preserved and enjoyed. It's the same impulse that led the writers to first 'save' Joe and Vera and then interpret their double-homicide death-faking as "self-defense". A real noir would have seen Joe and Vera murder the two victims out of desperation, an act of sin which decades later would come back to haunt them. In this episode, guilt is excused (or put onto an inanimate diamond necklace), happy endings won, and illusions maintained. It's all very "Castle" but Raymond Chandler would shake his head.

You are right in that it was noir as a setting, rather than noir as a style. Basically the trappings of noir rather than the feel. A little too light hearted and not cold enough to be noir. The Usual suspects is noir through and through.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:
    Bobble wrote:

TV star chloroformed
    TV star sadly wakes up.

Or maybe they just thought, like the couple, it was better left un-found.

Actually, on re-watch, the secret safe wasn't opened when the police found it, only the obvious first safe. Castle even says "maybe he was trying to pry something open", which, if he was headed upstairs to pry out the brick.... Anyway, the Butterfly, which is fake, was never in the secret safe at all.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That was a little far fetched, even for Castle. :|

Houn on
  • Options
    Hum, well last nights episode was okay, really didnt have any wow moments in it to be honest considering it was a sweeps week thing. I was expecting something surprising to do with either TDK (i may have the name wrong, that triple killer guy), kates mom, castles investigation of her mom or a relationship event between castle and kate.

I mean it was a good regular episode, just unexpectedly standard for a two-parter.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The episode felt like someone pasted together the shredded remains of a 24 script and the dirty bomb two-parter. Hopefully part 2 will redeem the whole thing.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The final reveal next week will show that the entire thing was an elaborate prank pulled on Castle that everyone was in on. Like that Michael Douglas movie (ignore the fact that this theory doesn't fit the non-Castle scenes in part 1.)

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty good actually. But ...
    Gage isn't a rogue agent ... the guy he killed was. I think Gage is still an asset to get back Pandora maybe? Or to prevent Blakely from stopping it ... either way, I don't think Gage is the rogue agent Jennifer Beals makes him out to be. Probably her last failsafe or something.