As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robert Byrd Suffers Fall

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27429.html
Politico wrote:
Ambulances and fire trucks were dispatched to the Northern Virginia home of Sen. Robert Byrd Tuesday morning.

A neighbor of the 91-year-old West Virginia Democrat said several ambulances were outside his residence in McLean, Va., and a Byrd spokesman said the senator suffered a fall in his home.

An officer at the McLean Fire Department said that a unit was dispatched at 9:10 to the address where Byrd lives, but he declined to comment on the substance of the response.

Byrd – the longest-serving senator in the nation’s history – has been absent from the Senate for much of the year and has been in and out of the hospital battling various ailments.

“Byrd apparently stood up too fast this morning in his home and fell down,” said Jesse Jacobs, a spokesman for the senator. “To err on the side of caution his caregiver called an ambulance. He was taken to the hospital where he is currently being checked out. At this point in time there is no indication that he will be admitted.”

Victoria Hays, who lives in Byrd’s neighborhood, said she saw three fire trucks, two ambulances, a uniformed police officer and security personnel on the driveway of the senator’s house Tuesday morning.

“We’ve all kind of noticed there have been a lot more nurses” in recent days at Byrd’s house, she said. “I’ve never seen anything like this around his house before. We’re hoping for the best.”

Byrd, a pillar of the Senate who has first elected in 1958, has become increasingly frail in recent years. After running the powerful Appropriations Committee, he relinquished his gavel in January but continues to chair a powerful homeland security spending subcommittee. He was hospitalized in May for what his aides described as a “minor infection,” but was admitted for nearly two months after his ailment turned into a much-worse staph infection.

Since then, he’s been recovering at his McLean home, and his presence in the Senate has been exceedingly rare. On Sept. 10, Byrd delivered a speech on the Senate floor in honor of the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, who died last month after a 47-year Senate career.

“As I look at his desk, draped with black cloth and covered with flowers, I still have difficulty believing he is gone,” Byrd said in an emotional tribute, delivered in a quivering voice as he sat from his chair. “My ebullient Irish-to-the-core friend has departed this life forever. How bleakly somber. How utterly final. How totally unlike Ted Kennedy in life.”

Come on, do we need to be worrying about Byrd too right now? Would whoever it is up there stop holding a metaphysical fantasy draft?

So... yeah. He's 91, suffered a fall, lots of medical staff hovering around him lately... that's rarely a good sign. And right on the heels of Kennedy, too.

Well. Look back on the career, wish him well, fret over losing his vote, note how ghoulish it is to speculate over who would fill his seat and then shamelessly do it anyway... standard procedure, pretty much.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It sucks that this is so close to a Senate Health care vote, and I don't mean to wish it on anyone, but I have been waiting for Byrd to die or retire for years.

He's the repentant Strom on the blue team. A relic of an era best forgotten.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I heard about that fall, it sounded absolutely...

What's that word? It starts with a 'B', it's like...brutal? No that's not it.

Like, a synonym for it is uncivilized.

Man, if I could just remember the word...

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sad for him, but seriously: retire already!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What have been his actual reasons for not retiring 20 years ago?

cherv1 on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    What have been his actual reasons for not retiring 20 years ago?
    I imagine not enough stuff named after himself and he knows full well the seat would fall to a Republican if he left.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is that probable though? I mean if I recall correctly, Rockefeller is the other senator from that state, and I think the governor is a Democrat too.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thinking in WV is that if Shelly Moore Capito wants it once Byrd goes, it's basically hers.

Gosling on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Um. I don't get this. Explanation please!

Also, I feel like a dick for asking, but if Byrd dies does that mean -1D +1R in the Senate?

Qingu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Man it took me far too long to get that
    SAVANT COME HERE WE NEED YOUR TOPICAL AVATAR

Rent on