As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More Sony leaks - Dreamcast games via PSN?

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
I didn't see a thread for this, but if there is one, please point me in the right direction.

Another apparent Sony leak has happened, this time? they want to not only release PS2 games via PSN, but also the Dreamcast catalogue. Would be interesting if it happens in even some capacity. I'd love to have Skies of Arcadia.

-Loki- on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking of getting a PS3 but if this is the case I am SO SOLD.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice. I can finally replay Shenmue.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, shit. Looks like I'm buying a PS3 now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    POWERSTONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Fuck yes. We could finally start running Powerstone 1+2 side tourneys, and have access to the better versions of the Vs. series. And VF3:TB!

That would be a fighting game dream.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if they get chu chu rocket with online i might actually buy a PS3

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Nice. I can finally replay Shenmue.

My main reason for having a Dreamcast. Back in '05 Gamestop sold off a bunch for 20 bucks each. That's Dreamcasts, not Shenmues.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My first thought was Phantasy Star Online. It's, y'know, not going to show up. I can't delude myself into thinking as much.

But what I would give for that. What I would give.

Of course, I'd give the same for Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue. Among others.

Hoping this happens so bad. So bad. I mean, look at all these italics.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those are some pretty convincing italics.

I should track down Shenmue 2. I'm pretty sure it saw the light of day in America at some point.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I should track down Shenmue 2. I'm pretty sure it saw the light of day in America at some point.

It did. On the OXBox.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm just glad I recently threw that 320gb HDD in my PS3. If this comes true in any form, I'll at least have the space for these.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

It did. On the OXBox.

Gamestop and EB both carried European imports of the game too. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Closer reading of the article doesn't say all Dreamcast games would be exclusive to PSN if this were to happen, but Sony would get first choice of which games they want exclusive. Probably at higher licensing fees from Sega.

The note about Japanese Imports on PSN with localized menus is really interesting.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Closer reading of the article doesn't say all Dreamcast games would be exclusive to PSN if this were to happen, but Sony would get first choice of which games they want exclusive. Probably at higher licensing fees from Sega.

The note about Japanese Imports on PSN with localized menus is really interesting.

There's the real interesting part. Sony gets first pick as to what they want to be exclusive, but what does that mean for the games that they don't pick? Another console?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »

There's the real interesting part. Sony gets first pick as to what they want to be exclusive, but what does that mean for the games that they don't pick? Another console?

Probably XBL. So the real question is - will Sony choose wisely when they pick their exclusives?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, there's already a handful of Dreamcast titles on XBLA, so obviously they can't all be exclusive to PSN. Still, it's always good to see the old orange light get some attention. Maybe I'll pick up a PS3, finally, although I'll have to track down one with backcompat.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jet Grind Radioooooo!!!

Scotty on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait to check this article when I get home.

Sony Lifestyle it seems has been the news-breaker on PS3 stuff lately, it seems: The Last Guardian trailer, the GOW collection, and now this (if it's true).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh wow I hope this is true. Rush 2049, Powerstone 1+2, Sonic Adventure 1+2, Shenmue 1+2, and VF3:TB please!!!!

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    My first thought was Phantasy Star Online. It's, y'know, not going to show up. I can't delude myself into thinking as much.

But what I would give for that. What I would give.

Of course, I'd give the same for Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue. Among others.

Hoping this happens so bad. So bad. I mean, look at all these italics.

I have to yet to play a RPG that has held my attention the way that Phantasy Star Online did.

No MMO or RPG of any kind has come close to the amount of concentrated fun and awesome that game brought to the table.

I'm hoping Phantasy Star Zero is at least decent.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game I played to death on the Dream Cast.
    You piloted a fighter craft in space. It was more sim than acrcade. And it had massive battles.
    You had to lead your targets. Shit I'm pretty much describing 300 games here.

I also want MDK.
    I mean shit, Edmonton got FUCKED in that game.
    It's what they get for letting the Oilers crash and burn.

*Edit* it's called Starlancer. Shit that game was dope fo sho-rizzle.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zombie Revenge, fuck yes. Oh and that other beat-em-up whose name escapes me. Something about cops I think.

Edit: Dynamite Cop, I think that was it.

Also Ready 2 Rumble, love that game.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am conflicted....

1) OMG! Dreamcast love! Sony is showing the Dreamcast some love!
    2) Jesus Christ! How many times do people expect us to buy the same game again and again? Can I get a free voucher or discount if I already own the goddamned game?
    3) What about Saturn love?
    4) Are they going to release some imports like Radio Allergy, Guilty Gear X, Cosmic Smash and Rez?

Fubear on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't go out and buy a system just for this news quite yet—people seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions. Here's what the alleged leak actually says, for people who didn't bother to click through:
    DC Digital Titles

* If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
    * If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

It's really no surprise that DC games are a possibility for digital downloads; XBLA already has a few of them (Rez HD, MvC2, Ikaruga, Soul Calibur), so I assume Sega has been quietly considering more. And since exclusivity options are specifically mentioned, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a ton of these would end up multiplatform.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So how is it going to play DC games? Emulation?

I have an 80gb PS3 which has limited PS2 support. I don't really care because my PS2 library runs ok except for the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games which are unplayable. Does this announcement mean one day the PS2 games that don't run properly will get fixed or does it mean they'll only offer, through PSN, games that already run fine on a BC PS3?

xraydog on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    xraydog wrote: »
    So how is it going to play DC games? Emulation?

I have an 80gb PS3 which has limited PS2 support. I don't really care because my PS2 library runs ok except for the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games which are unplayable. Does this announcement mean one day the PS2 games that don't run properly will get fixed or does it mean they'll only offer, through PSN, games that already run fine on a BC PS3?

Read back that last question to yourself.

You already know the answer.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While I would love to play DC games again I gotta ask, why Sony? I thought SEGA was leaning more towards Nintendo's camp plus a number of DC games have sequels/remakes for the Xbox. Money Hats? I would figure Microsoft had the best Money Hats, but perhaps they don't particularly care about snatching up the DC Library for Live.

Eh, awesome news if it's true.

edit- Ah, I see. SEGA might be sharing the love so they can have all kinds of Money Hats from around the world.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    512MB drive on the Wii limits what they can port

You're more likely to see DC games on Wii in a disc collection.

This is also why MvC2 isn't on Wii. They wanted to release it on Wii, but their license stated that the game can only be released digital, no retail allowed.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    id be more excited about this if there was any way in hell sony would release games im interested in. odds of, for example, border down or cool cool toon coming to the ps3... well im not holding my breath.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, this is great, given that they put out good games, since my Dreamcast died last year. It would be very nice if they let you play off the DC disc, but that doesn't cost you enough

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2