Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Darksiders] = Zelda + DMC + GoW + Panzer Dragoon + SotC + Portal.

ChanceChance Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
DARKSIDERS 2 IS ON THE WAY
(see: 2012)

759954321_E7mFJ-L.jpg

"Darksiders is The Legend of Zelda...

if Hyrule were destroyed in the Apocalypse,

Link was given a chain gun,

and grew some balls."

darksiders-logo.png
Release date : January 5th 2010
360 & PS3
DS-2.jpg

Reviews. There were some early 9s and 10s that showed up in early December, but early reviews are often full of crap - so here's some that popped up the week prior to release.
9/10 - IGN Australia.
9/10 - IGN UK.
8.5/10 - Game Informer.
My fave so far is this review from AusGamer (9/10), which basically tells me everything I wanted to hear about the game.

If you don't trust those damned cynical professionals, and would prefer to hear the organized opinions of some fellow PAers, here's Professor Snugglesworth's review. And, why the hell not - here's mine.

Darksiders! What's the story? Who's the dev? Why should you care? I'm here to tell you, bucko.

The Developer
Vigil Games haven't made anything else, and Darksiders has been in development for years. In terms of pedigree, this game has nothing. Nothing, that is, unless you count comic book artist Joe Madureira. He formed Vigil Games with David Adams and some other talent from NCsoft.

Now, word is Joe "Mad" is a big deal in the world of comics - I can't vouch for that - but I can say that even with the traditional post-apocalyptic grey-and-brown world, I love this game's art style.

Screenshots! (Big, BIG screenshots.)
Spoiler:

...y'know, these shots don't quite sell the game for me. Perhaps it's better I point you towards this trailer. This is the one that made me sit up and take notice.

The Story
The basic premise is, you play as War - one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The first playable part of the game is you and your Mounted Apocalypse Posse ripping the Earth a new one to usher in the end of days, Book of Revelations-style.

What a twist! You were tricked into triggering the apocalypse early! Left in limbo for a hundred years, you are judged guilty by the overseers of the Balance - but you convince them to let you return to Earth to find the orchestrator of your betrayal.

Once you get back to the mortal plane, it's not all kittens and puppies. The world has been torn apart by a century of war between the angels and the demons - and they both want you dead. To make matters worse, your glove has been possessed by Mark Hamil.
the_watcher.jpg

This happy fellow is a malicious spirit that the overseers of the Balance stuck you with, to keep an eye on you while you're out of their presence. Described by the developers as an "evil Navi," The Watcher will point stuff out to you - but he's not necessarily there to help...

Why should you care?
I was once like you. When I first saw video of Darksiders, I was blown away that they were willing to show anything at all. A generic, chunky he-man slices up a generic-looking monster in a vast, empty waste that looked... well, you get the idea. It looked awful. But the more I see, the more I like it.

Combat
Once War whittles down his enemies, he can dispatch them with brutal finishers. So it's got a little God of War in there. I've also seen War blast an enemy into the air with his sword and keep him aloft with a hail of gunfire - so it's got a little Devil May Cry as well. If you're going to crib elements of combat, it doesn't hurt to start with the best.

Voice Talent
We all love Mark Hamil, but my personal favorite VO is Phil LaMarr. He's Hermes Conrad (and many others) on Futurama, he's Samurai Jack, he's Vamp in Metal Gear Solid, and he's Marvin - who gets his head blown off in the back seat - in Pulp Fiction. LaMarr plays Vulgrim - essentially, the demonic merchant War buys his gear from.

If you watched the video I liked above, you probably recognize War's voice from somewhere, but you can't pin it down. Well, that's Liam O'Brien , best known for his work in the English localizations of anime. He's quite a prolific talent. Anyway - all this stuff is nice, but here's the kicker. Here's the important bit:

It's like Zelda
The Watcher is an "evil Navi" and your horse is like "a bad-ass Epona." Seeing a trend here?

At media events, when discussing the game with devs, journalists are quick to compare it to combat-heavy games like God of War and Devil May Cry, but the developers shrug off these lables and straight-out say the game Darksiders is most like is Zelda.

You've got a giant open world. A lot of it, you can't access yet. You're not strong enough, or you don't have the right tool.

You find new powers and tools by entering dungeons. Each dungeon is unique, and each one houses a special artifact that - naturally - will be key to solving future puzzles and bringing down that dungeon's boss monster.

Once you leave the dungeon, you discover your new found power will grant you passage to previously inaccessible areas - and there, you will likely discover a new dungeon...
darksiderscomics.jpg

So that's it, that's my spiel. Dig on some trailers if you want more media, but it's this multi-part developer walkthrough that really sold me:

Part One
Part Two.
Part Three.

Chance on
OuFrYk0.jpg
'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid

• RichardTauberRichardTauber King of the north Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What a story ...

Intoxication emerges from an elementary desire to rise out of time
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah this is totally generic, I am so fed up with all those Zelda like games where you play one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and fight against techno angels and crazy huge demons while riding a burning horse.

GOD DAMN IT EA, STOP MILKING THOSE CLICHÉS!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EA has nothing to do with this. o_O

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited September 2009
    That's the joke.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am slightly annoyed by the fact that everywhere they go the devs are all "Zelda, Zelda, Zelda." I guess you might want to get the word out to a target audience, but geez, have some originality. You didn't hear publicity for God of War going "it's like Jak and Daxter...only ultraviolent!"

Don't claim your game is like any other game because it will seem like you set out to duplicate it and, more often than not, failed to do so. Perhaps not failed at making a decent game, but failed to make a Zelda game.

3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    That's the joke.

It does look pretty generic/boring in a sort of gothic RAWR BRUTAL kind of way.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited September 2009
    The problem is sporky, there is not really a short/single word way of describing the gameplay of "enter a dungeon,find item,use item to beat dungeon/boss and unlock new parts of the world".

I mean,that's basically what Zelda IS and I think Zelda even invented that kind of gameplay.

So I can understand that when people ask "So what's your gameplay like?" they say "It's like Zelda!" explaining for 5 minutes.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't believe no one has made the Soul Reaver comparison yet. I mean, this is basically the closest thing we're getting to a new one. I can't stand the 90s Todd McFarlane artstyle myself, but I think the game has loads of potential. I certainly hope it works out.

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Wow, it's been so long since I've even heard of Soul Reaver that I had totally forgotten about it! What a great game that was.

My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the art and i can see it being a very atmospheric world. Also very very nice voice actors, so assuming the dialogue isn't complete tripe it'll have that on like, almost every other game nowadays.

Basically with a bit of luck, this'll be good good times.

You know who I fucking hate? Pony.

I don't know why, I just felt the need to say that.
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Travan wrote: »
    Gonna say it again: this game is being made by the people making the Warhammer 40k MMO. Don't know about you, but they seem pretty similar aesthetically. Maybe the plotting is a little weak, and I'll admit that I groaned at the subtitle(which I haven't seen all that publicized recently, so maybe they wised up).

There's a reason they look alike. Joe Madueira (sp?) is doing the artwork and cocept designs for both of them. I've always liked his style but I still haven't forgiven him for being part of Ultimates 3.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited September 2009
    The problem is sporky, there is not really a short/single word way of describing the gameplay of "enter a dungeon,find item,use item to beat dungeon/boss and unlock new parts of the world".

I mean,that's basically what Zelda IS and I think Zelda even invented that kind of gameplay.

So I can understand that when people ask "So what's your gameplay like?" they say "It's like Zelda!" explaining for 5 minutes.

While people on message boards are quick to say "omg this game looks just like <x> only better," devs should not be going around touting their game as being like <x>. It's like you know your product is inferior but want the association with a much better game to improve its reputation. That's why there are so many cruddy games from no-names saying "it's like GTA mixed with Gears of War mixed with Zelda!"

edited September 2009

While people on message boards are quick to say "omg this game looks just like <x> only better," devs should not be going around touting their game as being like <x>. It's like you know your product is inferior but want the association with a much better game to improve its reputation. That's why there are so many cruddy games from no-names saying "it's like GTA mixed with Gears of War mixed with Zelda!"

Well,but instead of GTA you can say "open world", instead of gears of War you can say "third person shooter with cover mechanic". But what do you say instead of Zelda? Action Adventure? Open world action adventure?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a bit unsure on this, like they're trying too hard.

One of the walkthrough video's was all about how badass WAR was because he'll kill angels too.

Spoiler:
    edited September 2009
    If the developers were to say that the game featured a large open world, sword combat, dungeon exploration, puzzles and boss fights, would people just pipe up and say "Hmm, sounds like Zelda"?

It's like they're just being very open about what they're trying to do.

Cannon+Goose.png
    edited September 2009

Well,but instead of GTA you can say "open world", instead of gears of War you can say "third person shooter with cover mechanic". But what do you say instead of Zelda? Action Adventure? Open world action adventure?

I don't know if it's any travesty that you tell some news sites in an interview that "it plays similarly to Zelda games." That is easier to say than "you solve puzzles and find major items in dungeons and use them to kill bosses and get to new areas." What you don't do is say that every chance you get, and spew stuff like "if Hyrule were destroyed in the Apocalypse, Link was given a chain gun, and grew some balls."

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are we really all this fucking cynical?

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anything like Zelda and Metroid but not actually Zelda or Metroid are pretty much a confirmed buy for me when there is no new Zelda or Metroid to be had. Also Diablo clones.

THis game looks pretty neat. So if they use Zelda adventure mechanics and GoW or DMC style action then this would be a no brainer. Unless you know, the game really sucks.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    A lot of people bought and loved Shadow Complex because it was said to be a "Metroidvania."

It's a strategy that works.

Cannon+Goose.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, this looks pretty sweet.

I want Zelda-type gameplay from more than just Zelda, dammit. Nintendo takes too fucking long making them.

Yeah I know. I don't really care much for what little I've seen of this, but it still begs the question as to why more games don't attempt the Zelda formula.

Anybody else play Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy last gen? It was a fun Zelda-like. Sadly, it garnered no sequel. :(

steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are we really all this fucking cynical?

internet

metroid_sig.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm sorry, but the unreasonable amount of hate hulking ripped as hell huge weapon characters get seems to be the new form of insecurity. Oh no I can't like these things what if people think I'm overcompensating :<

I am perfectly okay with a game that's philosophy is "You're huge! That means you must have huge guts! Rip and tear!"

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    War needs a badass ragged cape and possibly James Earl Jones voicing him. Especially if Mark Hammil is the side kick.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I want him to be voiced by Billy Dee Williams.

"Has anybody seen the cold,malt liquor?"

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Personally, I'd have prefered Famine or Death.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

From the Wiki page, Famine and Pestilence have been replace with 'Strife' and 'Fury'.

Lame.

Clearly the classic four horsemen weren't fighty enough for an action game.

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior Dear Secret Santa...
    edited September 2009
    I remember them saying that Famine and Pestilence had to be renamed because otherwise their rating would have been higher than they wanted.

Don't ask me why though.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wut? Do you mean the age rating? How does that make any sense in the slightest?

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior Dear Secret Santa...
    edited September 2009
    Clearly, killing your enemies right away is better then let them die of sickness or starve to death!

edited September 2009
    Wut? Do you mean the age rating? How does that make any sense in the slightest?

I know,it doesn't,but I seriously remember one of the developers saying that in a video.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This reminds me of an interesting opinion piece over at Gamasutra about game clones versus new genre definitions—essentially, recognizing the gray area between "Doom clones" and FPSes, or "Bejeweled clones" and match-3 puzzle games.

It is kind of lame, but sadly, it's not specific to the games industry. Movies are routinely reduced down to "It's like Indiana Jones meets Rush Hour" logline summaries.

At least with Shadow Complex, though, Chair remained pretty upfront about how their game was a love letter to Super Metroid. I don't know if that "Zelda, only if Link grew balls" quote was directly from the developers or whether it was something IGN cooked up on its own, but if it came straight from the PR team that starts veering into "Game-X killer" territory, which is always a death knell for your game's success.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To be fair pestilence is a really gross word.

polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

From the Wiki page, Famine and Pestilence have been replace with 'Strife' and 'Fury'.

Lame.

Clearly the classic four horsemen weren't fighty enough for an action game.

Age rating?
    That explain why the four horsemen in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne were named red rider, black rider, white rider and pale rider.

firma1m.th.jpg
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Oathbreaker KingslayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok this game looks pretty sweet.

Might have to pick it up, used of course.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited September 2009
    Age rating?
    That explain why the four horsemen in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne were named red rider, black rider, white rider and pale rider.

White, black, red and pale horse appearently were their original names given to them and War and Death and so on are the interpretations. So it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the rating. But I really have to wonder how they got away with this in Hexen 2.

• PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Although this game seems to be venturing a bit into 90's comics territory, I must admit Joe Mad's art is one of my guilty pleasures. I never got to play the Gamecube game he had a hand in (something to do with skittles), but I've been looking forward to this since the first gameplay vid I saw.

I love the Zelda formula, but would like to see it applied to a wildly different setting, with a completely different backstory and characters. So far, so good then.

I haven't seen any videos of this recently, but if memory serves me, it looked pretty slick (nice consistent artwork througout and clean animations). I'll wait for a couple of reviews to see if my gut instinct was right, of course, but if it turns out decent I'll definitely pick this up.

Edit:
    There's one thing they could do to get me more excited and that's make a Battle Chasers game instead. However, I don't really feel like waiting a decade for it.

dansig.gif
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played this a bit at pax. Thought it was pretty fun in a God of War sort of way.

steam_sig.png
    Guild Wars 2: Sancere, Verity Mkvenner, Rione Victoria
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »
    Although this game seems to be venturing a bit into 90's comics territory, I must admit Joe Mad's art is one of my guilty pleasures. I never got to play the Gamecube game he had a hand in (something to do with skittles), but I've been looking forward to this since the first gameplay vid I saw.

I love the Zelda formula, but would like to see it applied to a wildly different setting, with a completely different backstory and characters. So far, so good then.

I haven't seen any videos of this recently, but if memory serves me, it looked pretty slick (nice consistent artwork througout and clean animations). I'll wait for a couple of reviews to see if my gut instinct was right, of course, but if it turns out decent I'll definitely pick this up.

Edit:
    There's one thing they could do to get me more excited and that's make a Battle Chasers game instead. However, I don't really feel like waiting a decade for it.

Battle Chasers would only work if they made it episodic and spaced the releases 6-18 months apart.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User
    edited September 2009
    guys, guys

if we don't stop having fun games will never be taken seriously

come on

stop enjoying these games

you're not supposed to like them

I have a feeling that lots of people will pass on this, it will be thoroughly enjoyed by those that do, and it will make a glorious return in the "Bad Games That You Loved" thread sometime in 2010/2011.

And then the world will really end in 2012 because of lolmayancalendar, and only those who played Darksiders will be spared.

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »

Edit:

Battle Chasers would only work if they made it episodic and spaced the releases 6-18 months apart.

And actually had an ending.

scale3nk0.png