As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kentucky Census Worker Hanged: Body Released

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    This incident really bothers me.

Also, yeah, drug dealers/cookers/growers don't like to draw attention to themselves. If they did this, they would have put him in a place where he wouldn't have been found.

Well, it's quite possible he stumbled onto some _really_ stupid ones, who having watched too much bad TV while chemically augmented would think that doing something like that would be the bestest red herring ever, and no one would ever think to suspect drugs, and rather go chasing after right wing nutters.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do secret meth labs even exist at known residences very often? Wouldn't that be more of an unknown shack in the middle of the woods type situation?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    As pessimistic as this sounds I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner (and more often).

And people wonder why I want to immigrate to Canada. :?

Emigrate

No, it's immigrate. I would be moving there with the intent of taking up permanent residence, not just willy-nilly.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think a lot of people in this thread are having a problem of holding hammers and seeing everything as a nail here. The rise of right-wing violence is undeniable and it needs to be stopped, but that does not mean every single act of violence is tied to it somehow.

It is hardly unreasonable to believe this murder is politically motivated, given the circumstances of his death. If you didn't have such familiarity with the drug situation there, you'd probably be at a loss to provide an apolitical motivation, too.

I can see this, but the point is that there's more to the situation than a lot of people seem to realize. I'm not saying it's unreasonable for people to make that assumption, and can definitely see how people might jump to those conclusions.

But it is jumping to conclusions, IMO. I'm not saying that this definitely wasn't politically motivated, and I won't be in the least bit surprised if it was, as I said either in this thread or the other one where it was mentioned.

If it wasn't so near a park/public land even I would think the drug possibility was much less likely, but given the circumstances I think it's something everyone should consider.

Duffel on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do secret meth labs even exist at known residences very often? Wouldn't that be more of an unknown shack in the middle of the woods type situation?

I can imagine some tweaker sitting in his living room with bottles of ammonia and empty sudafed packages everywhere getting a knock at the door might panic and kill the guy and just maybe even get the bright idea to throw up the 'fed' distraction.

But that didn't happen. This was just a crazy redneck that Fox pushed just far enough to kill somebody.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    As pessimistic as this sounds I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner (and more often).

Emigrate

No, it's immigrate. I would be moving there with the intent of taking up permanent residence, not just willy-nilly.

No, it's emigrate, since you're currently in the US and want to leave. Once you're in Canada, you'll have immigrated into Canada.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Emigrate

No, it's emigrate.
    My understanding is that if I am leaving my country I am emigrating, but if you come to my country you are immigrating.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yes, you do find meth labs in residences. I have no idea of the break down but it's a big enough problem for there to be an industry built around cleaning up those houses.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And topping my list of fun things to build in the basement...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can imagine some tweaker sitting in his living room with bottles of ammonia and empty sudafed packages everywhere getting a knock at the door might panic and kill the guy and just maybe even get the bright idea to throw up the 'fed' distraction.

But that didn't happen. This was just a crazy redneck that Fox pushed just far enough to kill somebody.

Without more evidence neither of these theories is more likely than the other. I believe Occam's razor suggests political motivation, but we have absolutely no causal evidnece between Fox News and the murder.

I don't doubt that the toxic ideas coming from Beck and Bachmann are related to this murder, but I don't believe they're related in the way you're assuming. It is more likely that Bachmann and the murderer both got their anti-census sentiment from a common source. Bachmann is insidious not because she's instigating otherwise decent people but because, as an elected official of the United States government, her embrace of these ideas indicates that the insanity is moving beyond isolated crazies and into places of power.

Hachface on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Emigrate

No, it's emigrate, since you're currently in the US and want to leave. Once you're in Canada, you'll have immigrated into Canada.

He used the word correctly. You immigrate to a country and emigrate from a country.

"I emigrated from the United States and immigrated to Canada."

Hachface on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Emigrate

No, it's emigrate.
    My understanding is that if I am leaving my country I am emigrating, but if you come to my country you are immigrating.

I'm going by the dictionary definition. Anything else seems like splitting hairs. :P

Edit: She. But thank you, lobster man. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes, you do find meth labs in residences. I have no idea of the break down but it's a big enough problem for there to be an industry built around cleaning up those houses.

I realized it was a bit of a stupid question the way I phrased it a bit too late. Lets try this again.

This happened in an area of Kentucky that is known for some scary remote wilderness shit (kind of, right?) Wit all that dangerous wood out there, having a meth shack in an unmarked unlikely to be found area is quite easy compared to having it in your house that is a listed residence. I'm not saying these guys are Rhode scholars, but human ingenuity and all that jazz.
    Census guys aren't showing up to residences that aren't listed as existing.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Without more evidence neither of these theories is more likely than the other. I believe Occam's razor suggests political motivation, but we have absolutely no causal evidnece between Fox News and the murder.

I don't doubt that the toxic ideas coming from Beck and Bachmann are related to this murder, but I don't believe they're related in the way you're assuming. It is more likely that Bachmann and the murderer both got their anti-census sentiment from a common source. Bachmann is insidious not because she's instigating otherwise decent people but because, as an elected official of the United States government, her embrace of these ideas indicates that the insanity is moving beyond isolated crazies and into places of power.

Bachmann was the original source!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plus meth labs are toxic and have that nasty tendency to blow up on occasion

not something you really want in your bathtub

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I realized it was a bit of a stupid question the way I phrased it a bit too late. Lets try this again.

This happened in an area of Kentucky that is known for some scary remote wilderness shit (kind of, right?) Wit all that dangerous wood out there, having a meth shack in an unmarked unlikely to be found area is quite easy compared to having it in your house that is a listed residence. I'm not saying these guys are Rhode scholars, but human ingenuity and all that jazz.
    These sorts of people are extremely paranoid. Once the guy identified himself as a government employee 90% of them would have assumed he was a narcotics agent and probably would have freaked out regardless of whether there was anything going on at the house or not (which was also a possibility).

There are some parts of the state - the really bad, backwoods parts - where law enforcement officers don't go without quite a bit of backup. Unfortunately, Sparkman would have had no way of knowing that.
    Plus meth labs are toxic and have that nasty tendency to blow up on occasion

not something you really want in your bathtub

There's a reason that we have lots of jokes about trailers exploding for no reason in my state.

Duffel on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The other thing is, obviously the FBI thinks the theory is credible enough that the Census has suspended operations in that county.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I am wildly skeptical that any idea expounded by Bachmann is original to her. She's merely the most public face of anti-federal sentiment that runs deep in certain parts of the country, usually beneath the attention of major media outlets.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

That, and meth users are notoriously innovative. I've seen pictures of a car that the police found with modifications that would allow the driver to pop the trunk and fire a rocket containing the stash into the air.

Must be something about being awake and insane for 3 days that gives you time to think.

TL DR on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I am wildly skeptical that any idea expounded by Bachmann is original to her. She's merely the most public face of anti-federal sentiment that runs deep in certain parts of the country, usually beneath the attention of major media outlets.

One would assume that being a member of the federal government she would know better. Do the other congresscritters not invite her out for drinks?

Maybe she just doesn't have any friends on the hill and assumes it's a vast conspiracy against her.

override367 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, this is fucked up but not unexpected.

/sigh

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

One would assume that being a member of the federal government she would know better. Do the other congresscritters not invite her out for drinks?

Maybe she just doesn't have any friends on the hill and assumes it's a vast conspiracy against her.

The fact that many elected members of the government run for office and go to Washington with the intention of eroding the power of the very institution they are ostensibly elected to serve isn't news.

Hachface on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It would be great if we only had elected officials who's stated goal was to make what the government better (which does mean smaller in some cases) rather than to make the government as useless as possible.

override367 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    either way. Even without VonBrun, there are still several right wing extremists that lost their shit in the past 9 months.

Oh I certainly agree. But I'd rather we counted the actual right wing extremists, and not merely every psychotic person.

Quid on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going by the dictionary definition. Anything else seems like splitting hairs. :P

I thought dictionary definitions were foul on the PA forums.

_J_ on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

That, and meth users are notoriously innovative. I've seen pictures of a car that the police found with modifications that would allow the driver to pop the trunk and fire a rocket containing the stash into the air.

Must be something about being awake and insane for 3 days that gives you time to think.

That's the insidious thing about meth. Unlike the other "hard" drugs, meth doesn't require importation or a large facility or ring. Any yahoo with access to the Internet and no particular aversion to breathing carcinogens can cook it in his bathtub. You really can't draw blanket conclusions about the types of buildings used to hide meth labs, because they're pretty much everywhere.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've always been a fan of the Winnebago in a field at the middle of nowhere.

Edit --

Some of you guys are as bad as the asshole English professors who act like it's a mortal sin to have a typo on a web page.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    That's the insidious thing about meth. Unlike the other "hard" drugs, meth doesn't require importation or a large facility or ring. Any yahoo with access to the Internet and no particular aversion to breathing carcinogens can cook it in his bathtub. You really can't draw blanket conclusions about the types of buildings used to hide meth labs, because they're pretty much everywhere.

Actually, it's gotten worse. There were reports in the news about a month or two ago of a new formulation for meth that makes enough for personal use and can be made in a 2-liter soda bottle. And the amount and composition of the precursor chemicals makes it near impossible to stop the purchase of them, unless you want to outright ban Sudafed.

I remember describing this as the "Bittorrent of meth" in absolute terror.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    unless you want to outright ban Sudafed.

shut up shut up shut up don't give joe biden any ideas

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2009

I remember working at a pharmacy, and the head pharmacist would just tell people "look, either buy pseudoephedrine or buy nothing because phenylephrine isn't worth shit"

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

I thought dictionary definitions were foul on the PA forums.

Only if you're Podly.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I remember working at a pharmacy, and the head pharmacist would just tell people "look, either buy pseudoephedrine or buy nothing because phenylephrine isn't worth shit"

IIRC the difference between psuedoephedrine and phenylephrine is like one methyl group.

I want somebody to develop a way of converting phenylephrine to meth just so the law can't treat it like a safe alternative.

Feral on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sudafed makes my head dizzy when i take it alongside my dextroamphetamine so i dont use it

is there a reason for that feral or is it just psychosomatic on my part?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

IIRC the difference between psuedoephedrine and phenylephrine is like one methyl group.

I want somebody to develop a way of converting phenylephrine to meth just so the law can't treat it like a safe alternative.

Yeah, but I don't see that really happening in a way that would make it convenient for clandestine production. Maybe a curious chemistry student will come up with something while tweaking out for a week straight, but bigtime manufacturers are importing either the ice or the pseudo from Mexico anyway.

And that is why it is such a shame this census worker was killed.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Being an Iowa resident, I've read local news enough to know that people do have meth labs in their place of residence, and yes, they do tend to explode.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, but I don't see that really happening in a way that would make it convenient for clandestine production. Maybe a curious chemistry student will come up with something while tweaking out for a week straight, but bigtime manufacturers are importing either the ice or the pseudo from Mexico anyway.

IIRC the Patriot act actually restricts sales of those.

like you cant' go buy 20 boxes of sudafed at a time

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

IIRC the Patriot act actually restricts sales of those.

like you cant' go buy 20 boxes of sudafed at a time

But what if you have a gigantic cyclops for a friend?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's not the PATRIOT Act, but yes there is a federal law now.

Feral on

• Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Being an Iowa resident, I've read local news enough to know that people do have meth labs in their place of residence, and yes, they do tend to explode.

They're also found out here in the Phoenix area in even nicer neighborhoods. They've also discovered backpack labs too:

Picture1.jpg

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Snapple Rain is used to make meth?
    Awesome.

Improvolone on