As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crackdown 2: I can see my house from here.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should still be on my buddy list from all the ODST stuff we did; but possibly not.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i think we are still friends. i might be on in a bit so if you are we can do a few trials

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll be on a bit later. gonna watch john adams and then i'll be on.

EDIT: Is it only 2 player co-op or can you have more folks?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    2 dudes only.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll be on a bit later. gonna watch john adams and then i'll be on.

EDIT: Is it only 2 player co-op or can you have more folks?

yeah i''l be on in an hour or so.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well that all took longer than expected.

I'm gonna be on a bit, working on the psycho achievement. These trails are super fast; doing a co-op playthrough will be super quick.

If not tonight another night. I see you're playing some Haloes.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    sorry yes, i am free most of the weekend for crackdown.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EDIT: Man I can be a whiny bitch sometimes.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: BITCH BITCH PISS MOAN.

Sorry.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Just a heads up for folks who are interested in Crackdown 2.

Amazon.com has it for 49.99 preorder that you can't see unless you put it in your cart.

Also:
    # Order Crackdown 2 and get $10 off a future video game purchase. The promotion code will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account up to two (2) business days after your product ships. To redeem your reward, add a Video Games item sold and shipped by Amazon.com to your shopping cart and proceed to checkout. The discount will be visible after you have begun the checkout process. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer valid for one purchase per customer. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    # Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    # Get $5 worth of MP3 downloads from Amazon MP3 after you order your qualifying video game item. Limited to one promotional credit per customer. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    #
    Pre-order Bonus: Pre-order Crackdown 2 and receive a code to download four exclusive suits of Agency-Issue armor: Gold and Brushed, Red and Blue Metal. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

So $10 games credit, $5 mp3 credit, preorder suits code.

I had a $20 credit from SMG2 so I got it ordered for $29.99 which is dang nice if I do say so myself.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Me and Willeth just interviewed a guy from Ruffian on our podcast:
    http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/06/04/the-savygamer-podcast-episode-17/

LewieP on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    behind on my crackdown video watching, but saw that one available through the video marketplace with the magnetic tether thing..... OMG this game is going to be so much fun. might have to find time to get those last few orbs

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh my God

Listened to this week's Bombcast and heard them talk about this

Then I heard them mention that they stole the "ping" idea from Infamous for orbs

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME that is the best news I could possibly hear

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aw, that preorder sounds nice, and I think I've got two or three of those $10 rebates from previous preorders. I wonder if they'll stack...

EDIT: Shit yeah they'll stack! $39 and change for release-day delivery, pretty fucking good.

EDIT: Holy fuck it's only a month now 'til it comes out? Jumpin' Jahosephat, I gotta' get a Live deal set up and quick!

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I still need the co-op achievements btw.

If anyone else out there needs em I'm online now just idling. I'd be happy to hook up to finally finish the first Crackdown achievements.

It really shouldn't take long at all. With maxed out agents and doing the missions via the timed trials it could be done in an hour-ish, plus whatever it takes for the supply mission.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    i will be down in a few for some missions

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i will be down in a few for some missions

Thanks a ton to Local H Jay; 1250/1250 on Crackdown now.

Ready for Crackdown 2.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Should you be interested, my First Look at the demo is up on 360 Arcadians.

The demo is going live on Monday, June 21. Might be a good time to change the thread title.

If you're not inclined to visit the link above, here's the text of the article minus the images:

title-300x225.jpg
    Crackdown was a sleeper hit. Bundled with the Halo 3 beta, many gamers assumed that it wouldn’t be very good and passed it by. If you’re one of those gamers, go dig it out and get back to me in a week when you’re finally able to put it down for a few minutes.

The premise of both Crackdown and Crackdown 2 is that you’re a super-powered Agent of (predictably) The Agency. In the second game you’re up against two major forces: The Cell, a terrorist group bent on anarchy, and The Freaks, mutated zombie-like things that are out to convert or kill anything that isn’t like them.

Crackdown 2 has an exclusive invite-only window on the demo for this weekend, so we at 360 Arcadians got a first look at what the new game has in-store. The demo has a 30-minute time limit that we ran down several times in succession. You’ll have to start again after each clock reset, but it’s worth it just to get a look at the world of Crackdown 2.

The Demo.
    The first thing you’ll notice is that the demo is very LIVE-aware; the opening screen shows you a map of everyone playing Crackdown 2 around the world at that moment. Its surprisingly populated as you can see here.

I’ve been a LIVE member since the service launched, but Crackdown was the first game the really convinced me that Microsoft had it right. Co-op in the original game was frenetic and fun; driving, car surfing, leaping through the city, and rocket juggling enemies kept me occupied for hours. Crackdown 2 is bringing all of that back, with even more enhancements like LIVE orbs. These power-ups can only be picked up when you’re playing online with a buddy, but they offer even greater rewards than normal orbs.

The upshot to items like LIVE orbs is that you’re not going to get the full game experience if you’re only playing single player, offline. Making some game elements dependent on a paid service isn’t a pleasant thing, but the end gameplay experience is better for it.

The action doesn’t seem to have deviated from the winning formula in Crackdown. You’re still going to shoot down hordes of bad guys, or leap into a group of them with a power-drop and kick the crap out of them. It feels refined as frame rates stay silky smooth even with what feels like hundreds of enemies on-screen. Racing and driving are smoother, as vehicles are much more responsive than they’ve been in the past.

If you were a fan of the super strength and speed of the first Crackdown you’re going to love Crackdown 2. There are just as many places to run, climb, and jump, letting you be as free as your Agent wants to be. Sprinting down the road, catching some air over a hill, then targeting and killing gang members while you earn some hangtime is an exclusively awesome Crackdown element, and it has only gotten better this time around.

One sad thing to report is that the vehicles don’t seem to morph anymore. That was one of my favourite neat aspects of the first game and it’s sad to see it missing. On the upside there are plenty of orbs to find, cars to unlock, weapons to stash, and gadgets to receive. I have no idea what the deal with the duck is, though.

(there is a picture of a duck here, apparently it's a weapon.)

Finally, one of the most awesome elements of the demo are demo achievements. I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to spend a lot of time with this demo – and by doing so you’ll be rewarded. You can get a jump-start on up to 100GP by getting achievements in the demo that will unlock when you play the finished game on your Xbox LIVE account after launch. That’s a really cool idea, it’s a great incentive for replay with the demo, and it’s a smart way to get people involved in your open world shooter.

The skinny.
    If you’re in the invite only beta, we’re on all weekend here at the office, so send an invite through to Threepio. If you’re not, we’ll look forward to seeing you next week when the demo drops on Monday, June 21, 2010. The final word? If the demo is an accurate representation of the finished product, you should get your Crackdown 2 pre-order now, because it absolutely is going to sell out.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ho shit demooooooooooooo
    i keep forgetting this is almost out

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The demo is up on the Euro MP at the very least. Downloading it now.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looking forward to trying this later.

Was sad to learn that they've dropped system link, though. That could very well be a deal-breaker round these parts...

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dang it, dangitdangitdangitdangitdangit, my Live card can't get here fast enough. Sooooo close (as in Rochester NY to Buffalo NY close)...

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I played the demo for an hour, and it's alright, but I can't see myself getting it until it's cheap. I got every agility orb and every secret orb in the first game, so I'm not all that excited to explore what is essentially the same city again. I just didn't see $60 worth of new stuff in the demo.
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    Was sad to learn that they've dropped system link, though. That could very well be a deal-breaker round these parts...
    Well, that sucks. Almost the entirety of my co-op play in the first game was through system link.

Arteen on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Never played multiplayer in the first. I loved the hell out of it. They honestly didn't need to give me a demo to sell the game to me, I was going to buy it anyway. The demo felt like more of the same as the first to a point...and that's by no means a bad thing to me.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    One thing I'm wondering is how much they've changed up the population makeup of the city: it always seemed kind of weird and potentially baitful that you had the Spanish section that came off as relatively poor, the Russian section that was slightly less poor, and then the one section that reeked of money was occupied by Americans. Hmmmm.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Downloading this now

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Demo is more Crackdown with zombies. I'm sold!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is the demo multiplayer?

I think the first one was, if I can remember back that far

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Any way to do the radar ping in the demo?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Any way to do the radar ping in the demo?
    Yes, press up on the directional pad.

Moorening on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thank you, wonderful

And this demo seriously kicks ass

I played the first Crackdown the other day and was thinking I wasn't sure if they could make a sequel feel compelling at all, but I'm really digging this

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've noticed though that the ping will show agility orbs, I am pretty sure the hidden orbs are still hidden. Not a big deal as it leaves for some exploration. I will have to double check when I play the demo again at lunch.

Moorening on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, am I hearing this right? The city is the same?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited June 2010
    So, am I hearing this right? The city is the same?

Yes, same city. Time has passed though. In the demo I've noticed familiar landmarks.

Moorening on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The city never felt memorable to me at all though

I probably won't even notice it's the same

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The city never felt memorable to me at all though

I probably won't even notice it's the same

Yeah, in my brief exploration (running through the demo 2 or 3 times) I recognized the docks section (you start out there), but the boat isn't there anymore. I also noticed the offshore rig where one of the bosses was in the first game.

I would have explored more in depth, but the agility orbs keep calling to me and I get distracted.

Moorening on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We must band together and demo this demo until it dies of it.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I LIVE and am downloading the shit out of this fucker as we speak. Gimmie a minute to scrounge up a gamertag for my sig.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Great, they drop the demo right when I go to work :x

Save me a spot in some 4-player Crackdown 2 antics later!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    is the demo multiplayer?

I think the first one was, if I can remember back that far

yes? no?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg