As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Raged to Death

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the link in this thread, anyway I saw a video showing off split screen of spec ops. But it might have been just an editing effect to show off both sides.

Hoz on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    I got a question about the multiplayer. Can you finally be able to play split screen online? I fucking hated that about COD4 that when I recovered my live gamertag to a friends xbox, we could not play together.

Probably not. There's too much happening in game for it to be functional and still looking decent.
    I don't even think W@W had split screen, did it?

I kept hearing this for COD4 "too much shit going on" That's just fucking bullshit. Halo has lots of shit happening, and you can do it there easily. Just reduce the graphics a bit to compensate.

It is really frustrating because once a week at least, I hang out with friends, and the only multiplayer game we play is halo, which is fine, but being able to play COD would just be awesome, and a nice change of pace.

It is just mind boggling that with a game that has an extensive multiplayer, you would think they would allow fucking split screen.

To be honest though, Halo3 doesn't have half the effects goin' on as MW does. And overall it really wasn't a graphic powerhouse. It's a shinier Halo2 with more trees and grass. There seems to be quite a lot of processing power in COD towards bullet physics, the debris . The textures / particle effects in the game are far more detailed than anything I've seen in Halo MP.

A good example that show how COD would bog down in ramerate is when you throw a smoke nade and run through it. It gets really really jerky and that wouldn't fly splitscreen online. IW could in theory make the smoke less detailed, but in doing so it'd give you an advantage in possibly being able to see through it better than the opposistion. Not only that, imagine your xbox running that smoke x 2 through the processor. It slows the game jus ton your own, it'll freeze it spilt screen.

Golden eye 4 player on the n64 shows what happens when you have too much stuff happening at one on the screen. If you play it now you'll notice the bad bad frame rates (shoot dual Klobbs in 4 player)

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe it's just me, but the MW engine really doesn't look that much better than CoD2, except for better texture work and modeling.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How much do the little debris and dust that float around effect the system? I always thought they were neat touches in the levels and they kept it in multi.

I don't know if any other games have the same effects.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How much do the little debris and dust that float around effect the system? I always thought they were neat touches in the levels and they kept it in multi.

I personally love those little effects and I'd be pissed if they ever scaled them back.
    It's just helps emmerse me into the game that much more.
    I can't count the number of times I'd be camping while sniping and I'd try to shoot a peice of paper that floated past my scope thinking it was a enemy.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the opening... have you guys seen it? It's pretty controversial. I'm getting a lot of extremely polarizing responses about it from Twitter and other forums.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I personally love those little effects and I'd be pissed if they ever scaled them back.
    It's just helps emmerse me into the game that much more.
    I can't count the number of times I'd be camping while sniping and I'd try to shoot a peice of paper that floated past my scope thinking it was a enemy.

REMOVE ALL PAPERS! REMOVE ALL GRAPHICS! ESPORT RULES APPLY!!!!

@invictus: It's a fucking computer game. Whoever starts freaking out about this crap is stupid and has never heard about what you could do in video games for years.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I got a question about the multiplayer. Can you finally be able to play split screen online? I fucking hated that about COD4 that when I recovered my live gamertag to a friends xbox, we could not play together.

Probably not. There's too much happening in game for it to be functional and still looking decent.

I kept hearing this for COD4 "too much shit going on" That's just fucking bullshit. Halo has lots of shit happening, and you can do it there easily. Just reduce the graphics a bit to compensate.

It is really frustrating because once a week at least, I hang out with friends, and the only multiplayer game we play is halo, which is fine, but being able to play COD would just be awesome, and a nice change of pace.

It is just mind boggling that with a game that has an extensive multiplayer, you would think they would allow fucking split screen.

To be honest though, Halo3 doesn't have half the effects goin' on as MW does. And overall it really wasn't a graphic powerhouse. It's a shinier Halo2 with more trees and grass

Ahahahahahahhahha no

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

To be honest though, Halo3 doesn't have half the effects goin' on as MW does. And overall it really wasn't a graphic powerhouse. It's a shinier Halo2 with more trees and grass

Ahahahahahahhahha no

AhAHAHHAHAhaha YES!

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stigma wrote: »

Ahahahahahahhahha no

AhAHAHHAHAhaha YES!

Oh, you're not going to like how this ends.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just saw the airport video. About as artistic as gifs of American troops getting killed.

Ok, maybe I'm being a little flippant.
    There is something to it with seeing how easy it would be to kill a shitload of innocent people. I still think it is fucked up and unnecessary.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Stigma wrote: »

Ahahahahahahhahha no

AhAHAHHAHAhaha YES!

Oh, you're not going to like how this ends.

Nah, I can't make the blind see.

CoD4 had splitscreen, but it was offline only. IW really does need to allow it for online, because I hated going online and being forced to do it alone.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh noes, virtual representations of people getting killed! Call the authorities!

I'll say it again, there is MUCH worse to be done in video games to "people" and movies have done this shit hundreds of times.

And no, no one cares about it being "so current in the WAKE OF NINE FUCKING ELEVEN".
    People killing people is ALWAYS a current affair, no matter if I rip off a dude's head as Kratos or shoot 50 fucking civvies with an AK.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    And no, no one cares about it being "so current in the WAKE OF NINE FUCKING ELEVEN".

By no one cares you mean you don't care because you are mentally retarded.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hoz wrote: »

By no one cares you mean you don't care because you are mentally retarded.

Are you telling me Airports are from now on some kind of terrible and frightening place? A place which could always be the last thing you see before you get killed by some nefarious and terrible scheme of some crazy man?

Cause I'm pretty sure that's what they have always been.

The one who is mentally retarded is the person who gets into an airport and on a plane and keeps thinking "OMG I HOPE I DON'T GET HIJACKED!". If you think like that,might as well not leave the house then, you might get killed anywhere! Oh wait,someone might fly a plane into your house!

Seriously, the ones who get all "huff puff" about this and freak out and what not, are the ones who already "lost against the terrorists" and god i want to shoot myself for even writing that sentence.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and then klyka was the terrorists

Nuzak on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's been over eight years now.

People need to stop being touchy about terrorists in fictional media.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    and then klyka was the terrorists

NO NUZAK, YOU ARE THE AIRPORT!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is something to it with seeing how easy it would be to kill a shitload of innocent people. I still think it is fucked up and unnecessary.

That's pretty much my view. I can't really see this contributing much other than to continue to illustrate "These are some really bad dudes". Because you know, 4 didn't make it obvious enough.

And it's less what it is and more that you're participating as the player.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

That's pretty much my view. I can't really see this contributing much other than to continue to illustrate "These are some really bad dudes". Because you know, 4 didn't make it obvious enough.

And it's less what it is and more that you're participating as the player.

I want to see if I really have to pull the trigger to progress the level or if I can basically just watch and have others do it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to see if I really have to pull the trigger to progress the level or if I can basically just watch and have others do it.

I think that's the case until:
    The FSB squads show up. Pretty sure that's when you'd need to shoot back. But I'm less objected to that bit so much, because that end is more towards the "showing the other side" side of the spectrum. Hypocritical? Maybe. But I'm hoping that's how it plays out.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a fan of being told to kill civilians, but then again I've been killing civilians for years in GTA and no one told me to do it.

Maybe if I pretend all the civilians are hookers I'll be able to get over it. Cause you know hookers are already dead on the inside.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of being told to kill civilians, but then again I've been killing civilians for years in GTA and no one told me to do it.

Maybe if I pretend all the civilians are hookers I'll be able to get over it. Cause you know hookers are already dead on the inside.

I'm pretty sure there's a difference here in presentation. GTA has always been wanton over-the-top mindless carnage (until 4, anyway) that used that as its selling point. Call of Duty? Not so much.

I mean, I'm also in the mindset that killing demon children in Dante's Inferno is okay because you're in hell, and thus they are denizens of hell. Take that for what you will. I guess I should just say that for this series it seems wholly unnecessary. Dunno.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You know what I really want from this game?

I want the AI partners to taunt me,make fun of me, get angry at me, call me a pussy, call me absolutely demeaning shit, for not joining in.
    I want them to fucking shout at me what kind of a coward I am and that those people deserve it and all that other bullshit terrorist drone crap. I want them to REALLY lay into me,the player.

You know why? Because I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna do what those fucks tell me.
    And I want it to be rewarding. I want other people,really stupid "OMG COD IS SO AWESOME MUST KILL MANS!!" people, to get really pissed off and mow down every "dude" they see.

But I'm not gonna do it.
    And I better get a fucking achievement for it!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Achievement Unlocked
    Giant Fucking Pussy - 20G

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Achievement Unlocked
    Giant Fucking Pussy - 0G

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The video (SPOILERS!) is still up here:

Just google "MODERN WARFARE 2 AIRPORT" on Youtube.

Borys on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You know what I really want from this game?

I want the AI partners to taunt me,make fun of me, get angry at me, call me a pussy, call me absolutely demeaning shit, for not joining in.
    I want them to fucking shout at me what kind of a coward I am and that those people deserve it and all that other bullshit terrorist drone crap. I want them to REALLY lay into me,the player.

You know why? Because I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna do what those fucks tell me.
    And I want it to be rewarding. I want other people,really stupid "OMG COD IS SO AWESOME MUST KILL MANS!!" people, to get really pissed off and mow down every "dude" they see.

But I'm not gonna do it.
    And I better get a fucking achievement for it!

Who knows, maybe you'll get a callsign out of it. And I assume you'll basically get shouted at like the Russian in World at War did. "CHERNOV! I am not hearing GUNSHOTS!"

Mechanical on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I'm pretty down on this game, but even I don't see the problem with that level. It provokes an emotional response. That's kind of the point. I think it's an interesting inversion of the way shit usually goes in this series.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, I'm pretty down on this game, but even I don't see the problem with that level. It provokes an emotional response. That's kind of the point. I think it's an interesting inversion of the way shit usually goes in this series.

I get why it's there, I just don't like it. Not really much more to my thoughts on the matter.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The more I see, the more it goes from Modern Warfare to Modern Gun-porn.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »

We're not talking about Black.
    Which needs its sequel, dammit.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

We're not talking about Black.
    Which needs its sequel, dammit.

I played that game for all of 5 minutes, then my original Xbox went ole' sparky on me. All that Baghdad dust does a number on electronics.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We see civilians get massacared in movies, why can't we see it in games?
    Granted you're not controling the actions of the movie, however if killing civvies in game is integral to the plot of the COD story, then fuck it. Lets do it and move on.

They're fake people by the way, it's not like that shitty movie where they have to press a fucking button and someone real dies somewhere (which I'd push, lots)

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok I just saw the airport video, and I'm failing to see what the big deal here is.

Look at it from a different perspective. IW wants to give you the greatest incentive possible to continue playing. They want to tap into your own emotions as a player to give you a reason to fight. What better way to do that than to have you temporarily occupy the shoes of an enemy combatant taking part in an absolutely heinous act?

On top of that nowhere in the video does it demand that you pull the trigger. It looks like you can just follow your AI partners around until the SWAT teams show up near the end.

Personally I have to tip my hat to IW, as what they're doing with that opening level is far and away more impressive than anything they've ever done in a CoD game. They're actually attempting to unsettle the player in the same manner as games like BioShock. This is far more effective than the aftermath of the nuclear bomb in CoD4 ever was.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's been over eight years now.

People need to stop being touchy about terrorists in fictional media.

I saw it as fake controversy and outrage that served as more of an advertisement for the game.

Most fiction that is produced for mass consumption is used as predictive programming. It has always been this way in a state of civilization. It was mandatory for citizens and slaves alike in ancient Greece to watch the plays performed by the travelling troupes. Culture has always been a top down enterprise given to us by the elite.

If you want to know how and why they do it you can read the works of Plato (especially The Republic) and Edward Bernays (Propaganda). Bernays was the nephew of Freud and was involved in lots of interesting projects. After reading his works really makes you view things in a different light.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We see civilians get massacared in movies, why can't we see it in games?
    Granted you're not controling the actions of the movie, however if killing civvies in game is integral to the plot of the COD story, then fuck it. Lets do it and move on.

They're fake people by the way, it's not like that shitty movie where they have to press a fucking button and someone real dies somewhere (which I'd push, lots)

Limed for truth, but it seems that IW is deviating from expressing the horrors of war and turning MW2 into a high-budget Tom Clancy novel adapted on screen by Michael Bay.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It seems that IW is deviating from expressing the horrors of war and turning MW2 into a high-budget Tom Clancy novel adapted on screen by Michael Bay.

MOD1 wasn't?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    strategery wrote: »
    Ok I just saw the airport video, and I'm failing to see what the big deal here is.

Look at it from a different perspective. IW wants to give you the greatest incentive possible to continue playing. They want to tap into your own emotions as a player to give you a reason to fight. What better way to do that than to have you temporarily occupy the shoes of an enemy combatant taking part in an absolutely heinous act?

On top of that nowhere in the video does it demand that you pull the trigger. It looks like you can just follow your AI partners around until the SWAT teams show up near the end.

Personally I have to tip my hat to IW, as what they're doing with that opening level is far and away more impressive than anything they've ever done in a CoD game. They're actually attempting to unsettle the player in the same manner as games like BioShock. This is far more effective than the aftermath of the nuclear bomb in CoD4 ever was.

They did a fine job in CoD4 with the nuke.
    I mean, they nuked a character you played 30% of the game with, and although he said nothing, you became attached to him. Hearing "I love you, Daddy" right before Jackson closes his eyes for the last time is heartwrenching (because I'm a dad as well).

Throwing you in the shoes of a random goon doesn't have the same effect.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It seems that IW is deviating from expressing the horrors of war and turning MW2 into a high-budget Tom Clancy novel adapted on screen by Michael Bay.

MOD1 wasn't?

Maybe I should have gone with Orson Scott Card instead of Clancy?

Morvidus on