As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Difference in Handheld Gaming Machines

2»

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    At any rate, claiming that "The Playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible." is pretty disingenuous since only one of their consoles has been fully back compatible.

EDIT: Note that the Wii can play NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, SMS, Genesis, TG16 and probably some others I can't remember. Nintendo is handing Sony it's ass in several ways this gen, not the least of which is follow through.

That seems much more disingenuous to me. Aside from Gamecube games, the Wii can't play any of that. You have to buy rereleases of games that were on all those platforms, choosing from what's been made available through the online channel. If you have a library of old games, there's no option for you to do anything with them, and likewise the rereleased version isn't actually compatible with anything but the Wii.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does any of this have anything to do with answering the opening post's question?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does any of this have anything to do with answering the opening post's question?

You must be new to this.

admanb on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    The thing about Sony and reverse compatibility is they want to do it in a way that will make them the most money; meaning they don't have a problem with you playing old games... but they would prefer to release them in a new format for you to purchase again.

This kinda ticked me off, especially when I heard that the new PSP they are going to release will be using a different format than those crazy minidisks, meaning my library I re-purchased to play portable will be worthless if my old PSP breaks.

Still, they have good games, so what can you do?

They aren't replacing the disc-based PSPs though; if your PSP breaks you won't be forced to get a PSP Go.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there a way to make/get legit digital copies of PSP games you already own?

Cause that would make it a lot easier to justify buying a Go

Al_wat on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There is not.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    maxtheninjamaxtheninja Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    so I just picked up a psp today mostly to play my ps1 games on the go. I did get dissidia and will probably get crisis core and the tatcis remake at some point, but what are some other awesome psp games?

maxtheninja on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

There is not.

And there will not be. Sony has said that there are too many legal and technical issues.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so I just picked up a psp today mostly to play my ps1 games on the go. I did get dissidia and will probably get crisis core and the tatcis remake at some point, but what are some other awesome psp games?

Patapon is a pretty fun rhythm RPG and I haven't played the sequel but I heard it improves on the original in many ways

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is fun if you're a MGS fan. It's like traditional Metal Gear gameplay mixed in with Pokemon With Soldiers. PO+ is a multiplayer component or something like that. There's also a demo for MGS: Peace Walker that you can download... somewhere. I think IGN has it.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Disgaea.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LocoRoco is worth your time. There is a demo available for the second one, I think.

Crisis Core is great. You should definitely follow your instincts and get it.

I'm really enjoying the Persona remake that just got released. It's maybe not the best introduction to the series if you're completely unfamiliar, but I'd recommend it without reservations if you played Persona 3 or 4.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Disgaea.

Jeanne d'Arc is pretty damn fun from what I've played so far. There's a Valkyrie Profile remake/port if you never had the original for PSX. And of course there's Disgaea 2 if OFW isn't an issue.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus