As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rings and such.

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Sort of an ambiguous title but my question is pretty straight forward.

In short, I have been in a relationship with my current girlfriend for close to a year now and I intend to eventually marry her. Our first year anniversary of this relationship is coming up in December and I was playing with the idea of getting her a 'promise ring', however I have little experience in this area so I am curious what exactly goes along with giving one... How one would give one basically or if I totally misunderstand this whole concept!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comahawk on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A promise ring sounds kind of high schoolish to me, but I could be wrong, maybe they're common. I'd probably either propose, or just give her a ring as jewelry.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They're usually just a plain silver band, or have some kind of small decoration like a heart. They call them pre-engagement rings too sometimes. Most of the time they're used as sort of a placeholder for an actual engagement ring, when you can't afford one yet.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IMO, promise rings come off as a desperate way to try and lock down a girl. One year seems like kind of a short time, though I got engaged after being with my then-girlfriend for 2 years. Also, do you live together? You find out a lot about someone when you start living with them (and I don't mean practically, or just about living with them). Maybe find some nice jewelry for the price you want to spend, assuming she is someone that enjoys wearing fine jewelry, and save the ring for when you are actually going to get engaged. Also, how old are you? I assume college age...

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My ex-fiancee and I exchanged "promise rings" a couple years into our relationship... we knew we wanted to get married eventually, but were both still in college and weren't ready or financially able to go to full blown "engaged" at that point. It was a very sweet and meaningful gesture to us.

I bought him a simple gold claddagh ring and he bought me a gold band with small channel set diamonds and sapphires. Each ring only cost about $150.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hlubocky wrote: »
    IMO, promise rings come off as a desperate way to try and lock down a girl. One year seems like kind of a short time, though I got engaged after being with my then-girlfriend for 2 years. Also, do you live together? You find out a lot about someone when you start living with them (and I don't mean practically, or just about living with them). Maybe find some nice jewelry for the price you want to spend, assuming she is someone that enjoys wearing fine jewelry, and save the ring for when you are actually going to get engaged. Also, how old are you? I assume college age...

We do live together and I have to agree, it does tell you a lot about the person. As for age, I am 23, she is 25. I am thinking of purposing next August or September, after I return from basic training. Though I am starting to think that not getting a pre-engagement ring is probably the better idea, as it does seem like a desperate way to lock her in (though I don't expect us to be breaking up).

Comahawk on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Either you promise each other that you will get married, which we like to call "getting engaged", or you don't. A promise ring... I really just don't know what that does.

I think you're heading down the right path with the not getting a promise ring.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Both my gf and I are 21 and we got each other promise rings last year and love them. We both know we'll eventually get married but its nice to have something personal to wear everyday from each other that isn't something permanent like a tattoo (although we have gotten them together ;] ). It's not childish and it's not "desperate" but rather a gift to one another to show our commitment. I'd talk about it with her and get her opinion and you could possibly do it like we did and give each other rings at the same time instead of doing what is viewed here as trying to "lock" her into being with you which is ridiculous. Its a ring not a diamond or a tattoo, they can take it off if it ends and there is no contract signed just by giving or receiving one.

That being said I think the real advice your looking for here is what kind of thing to look for. She got mine from JcPenny's and its a very simple silver band with a personal message etched in the inside which was free. My ring was $50 but the ring I got for her was something like $50-$75, nothing amazing but something very simple. It means even more because I went specifically to Puerto Rico (which is where I'm from) to find something that you couldn't find in any mall in the US. She loves it and in fact to a degree expected it before I even talked to her about getting it. Mind you this was a year ago and now there's talk of engagement rings which is a whole other topic on its own. Good luck man.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    F**k jewelry. Seriously. It's nonsense. I spent over $1,000 on an engagement ring for my ex-fiance. Never...again...

If the girl I marry wants something, she can buy it herself.

Slider on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Sort of an ambiguous title but my question is pretty straight forward.

In short, I have been in a relationship with my current girlfriend for close to a year now and I intend to eventually marry her. Our first year anniversary of this relationship is coming up in December and I was playing with the idea of getting her a 'promise ring', however I have little experience in this area so I am curious what exactly goes along with giving one... How one would give one basically or if I totally misunderstand this whole concept!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The question to ask yourself is: If she were to give you a pair of promise rings would you be creeped out? Now imagine the same thing with all you know about her. Would she be creeped out?

Keep in mind that rings are metaphoric chains. While the wondrous thing about marriage and whatnot is the ability to be mature and content enough to bind yourself to another for the sake of love and life, you are also barring yourself at the same time from other possibilities. Be this promise ring, engagement ring, or just a normal jewelry gift, rings carry that weight. Be sure you are prepared for all the symbolism, both good and bad, when you present one.

Enc on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got my girlfriend a cheap bronze ring from Etsy that had the word "love" etched in in binary. Technically this was my engagement ring, since I proposed to it. But this was only because she had indicated that she'd like to pick out her real engagement.

So, if you're stuck on the promise ring idea, maybe something like that would work; Etsy is pretty nifty. I personally share others' concerns about the lameness of promise rings though. :)

Qingu on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slider wrote: »
    F**k jewelry. Seriously. It's nonsense. I spent over $1,000 on an engagement ring for my ex-fiance. Never...again...

That's well and good for you. It dosen't really apply to the OP though. However, I would say that Slider also brings up a good point by example. If she freaks out from the ring, or if things don't turn out the way you expect, you could be left bitter. It dosen't have to be a $1000.00 wedding ring for this sort of backlash to occur, either.

Is it worth it even still? I'd say yes. But then, I lived with my lady in blissful, non-binding companionship for close to three years before we even considered the concept. And then it was mostly for the tax breaks. ^_^;

Just think about it long and hard before you act. Odds are, if you feel this strongly about her you'll know if she feels it back if you are honest with yourself.

Enc on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got rings (not engagement) as presents from my (now) husband and an ex. I loved having both of them. In both cases I would have been slightly wierded out if they had been called promise rings. In my mind a promise ring says "I want to marry you but..." What is the but in your case?

You are a grown up. Propose or let it simply be a nice gift.

EDIT: I had friends in college that couldn't get married until they graduated or they would have lost the money from parents. They got promise rings because they wanted to get engaged right then but both understood. So in their case it was "I want to marry you but it doesn't make sense to get married right now rather than wait a year and get my college paid for." That is where the comment about being a grown up is coming from.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    LintillaLintilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Give it to her like you would any other piece of gift jewelry that is not an engagement ring, maybe even let her help pick it out so it fits her finger and her style?

The ring symbolizes whatever you think it does. it can be a placeholder for something more expensive, a token of you affection, a sign that you think marriage is for suckers but you're committed in your own way, whatever.

Just be careful to remember how seriously most (otherwise normal, non-crazy) girls take proposals and don't let the ring be mistaken for something it's not. Take it from me, thinking someone is asking you to marry him when that isn't what is happening is all kinds of awkward for a lady.

Lintilla on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    In my mind a promise ring says "I want to marry you but..."

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking.

I'd also like to point out that there's no set time limit involving engagements. You could be engaged for a year or 2 until you both feel it's time. Since you've said you plan on marrying her, the only thing I could see holding you back would be thinking she might think it's too soon, which is valid. If that's not the case, I say why put it off. I proposed on our 1 year anniversary, we got married 6 months later, and we're about to celebrate our 9th anniversary this Wednesday. If you know, you know.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slider wrote: »

You say that as if people don't shell out 10 times that amount without batting an eye. Setting aside the fact that your comment is in no way helpful to the OP's question, $1000 is on the low end for an engagement ring.

OP: I would forget about the promise ring idea. You're too old for that. You're also running the risk of giving this girl the ring and having her flip out because she thinks you are proposing. You also don't want to have to give a disclaimer before she opens it to clear up any confusion.

If you really want to give her some jewelery to show her you care, but you don't want to propose, consider something other than a ring. At your age, a girl is going to expect a ring to equal engagement.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't like half of That 70's Show about this?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Isn't a promise ring when you promise yourself to jesus and no-one else(abstinence pledge)? That's what it was when I was in high school.

I disagree with the naysayers, if you want to promise to promise to wed, as stupid as I think that is, you should go for it.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    ZeitgeistHeistZeitgeistHeist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can definitely understand both viewpoints, but being a wearer of a promise ring, I'm slightly biased. My boyfriend and I bought a pair of these:
    il430xn72538451.jpg
    with mine being thinner than his like a woman's band normally is.
    Similarly to the OP's situation, it was his suggestion, and it was more or less a surprise to me. While I would normally find things like that kind of silly or childish, it was more endearing because of his tendency to communicate affection physically rather than verbally, for instance. So, essentially, it meant less of "we'll get married eventually" and more "I love you, but I can't always say it, so please remember." Essentially, not everyone is ready for the big question, but that doesn't mean gestures of love aren't valid. This might be the case with you, so I'd encourage you to give them to her, with a little written/spoken reminder about what she does mean to you. This will clear up any possible reaction deriving from the demeaning "I'd marry you, but..." misinterpretation, while simultaneously scoring you bonus points for telling her she rocks your world hard.

ZeitgeistHeist on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I still have mine. I'll sell it to you real cheap.

Slider on
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think a key element to a lot of the stories here is that there was generally an exchange of promise rings. While it's not a bad idea, it's important to consider how your significant other will think about it... it may be misinterpreted or something she doesn't believe in.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A promise ring sounds kind of high schoolish to me, but I could be wrong, maybe they're common. I'd probably either propose, or just give her a ring as jewelry.

Pretty much this. Either propose to me or don't but don't half propose to me.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TheFullMetalChickenTheFullMetalChicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having given a total of 4 rings to 2 different girls (only one engagement) I've found you give the ring and the female figures out what it means whether that is the intention or not.

All rings had at least one stone in them 2 sapphire, 1 pink sapphire, and 1 diamond (engagement) none of them were cheap lowest value was $200 a bit of pinch budget wise but nothing bank breaking even in my collage days. I always figured if your going to get the women you love jewelery it better sparkle and all of them loved showing them off. Just my 2 cents.

TheFullMetalChicken on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Could you just...you know, propose to her? I mean, sure you can't afford a big flash rock now, but I've always been in the school of thought that the girl is going to wear this ring for the rest of her life. She might as well be there when you pick it out (together).

Edit: To be clear, I was saying propose to her now with the 'basic' thing, and then you go pick out something nice as a couple when you get back from basic.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Could you just...you know, propose to her? I mean, sure you can't afford a big flash rock now, but I've always been in the school of thought that the girl is going to wear this ring for the rest of her life. She might as well be there when you pick it out (together).

Edit: To be clear, I was saying propose to her now with the 'basic' thing, and then you go pick out something nice as a couple when you get back from basic.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm still considering the idea, but need to give it more time I believe.

As for purposing before I head to basic I may do that, I am still unclear on how I intend to go about that to be honest. My main problem with purposing right now is that I am in a program to become an officer and will be attending school until 2013ish, so it will likely be a long engagement, which makes the situation somewhat unique compared to the norm.

I think I may just buy her a nice ring or something along those lines for this anniversary and go with the 'to remind you I love you' as I am in a similar situation, I am horrible at saying that sort of stuff.

Anyways, don't want to sound too emotional, but again thank you everyone for the information/advice, it definitely helped.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    You are a grown up. Propose or let it simply be a nice gift.

I thought a promise ring was some Christian thing that said you weren't going to fuck anyone till the two of you got married.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd have to agree with just giving her a ring as a gift, but not as a "promise ring". Perhaps a stone color she likes?

Also within the topic of promise rings and proposals, I think that it's always a good idea to talk openly about marriage with someone before doing any sort of proposal. Make sure you are both ready. You can still 'propose' for tradition, but the idea of proposing to someone as a surprise seems rather a thing of the past.

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can definitely understand both viewpoints, but being a wearer of a promise ring, I'm slightly biased. My boyfriend and I bought a pair of these:

<Awesome Ring>

with mine being thinner than his like a woman's band normally is.
    Similarly to the OP's situation, it was his suggestion, and it was more or less a surprise to me. While I would normally find things like that kind of silly or childish, it was more endearing because of his tendency to communicate affection physically rather than verbally, for instance. So, essentially, it meant less of "we'll get married eventually" and more "I love you, but I can't always say it, so please remember." Essentially, not everyone is ready for the big question, but that doesn't mean gestures of love aren't valid. This might be the case with you, so I'd encourage you to give them to her, with a little written/spoken reminder about what she does mean to you. This will clear up any possible reaction deriving from the demeaning "I'd marry you, but..." misinterpretation, while simultaneously scoring you bonus points for telling her she rocks your world hard.

Where did you find this???

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They call them pre-engagement rings too sometimes.

That is the dumbest description of something I've read in quite a while

This is like something Dilbert's company would develop

Rent on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My main problem with purposing right now is that I am in a program to become an officer and will be attending school until 2013ish, so it will likely be a long engagement, which makes the situation somewhat unique compared to the norm.

Also not to be a dick but I'd propose now since you're joining the military

The stats on military marriages staying together are frightening; if she's able to stay with you till 2013 you'll be in good shape

Rent on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm still considering the idea, but need to give it more time I believe.

As for purposing before I head to basic I may do that, I am still unclear on how I intend to go about that to be honest. My main problem with purposing right now is that I am in a program to become an officer and will be attending school until 2013ish, so it will likely be a long engagement, which makes the situation somewhat unique compared to the norm.

I think I may just buy her a nice ring or something along those lines for this anniversary and go with the 'to remind you I love you' as I am in a similar situation, I am horrible at saying that sort of stuff.

Anyways, don't want to sound too emotional, but again thank you everyone for the information/advice, it definitely helped.

I still don't get why you can't propose to her now/marry her. I mean, either way you're basically asking her to stick with you thorugh a long distance relationship for four years right?

And for some reason, promise rings really bug me. But hey, you gotten tales of people that liked them too, so it comes down to you and your girl.

noir_blood on