As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grocery Spending

Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been eating out way too much lately and I need to get back in the habit of making my own breakfast, lunch and dinner, etc. How much should I expect to spend on groceries per week for just one person?

"I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
Armored Gorilla on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Er... Our grocery bill is about 500 a month for 4 people. I would say if you're cautious, 50 bucks a week ought to easily cover you. Totally depends on your eating habits and location though.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Depends on what you buy/where you buy/when you buy

I could potentially get away with a $20 weekly food budget if I were extremely frugal, but $40-50 is a lot more reasonable. This is assuming that you buy during sales, at a regular grocery store/co-op, and use a few coupons/"club" cards.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree with makershot and erandus, but your own budget for food is going to depend on what you eat and how much of it. I budget 200 a month for groceries and have never gone over that.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It can vary quite a bit, but I'd say $50/week is a good complete-bullshit number for a single bachelor.

Do you cook fancy meals or try new things? Steak is nice, but it comes at a price.
    Are you a vegetarian or vegan? You'll save on meat (and dairy) but spend on soy.
    Do you prefer "organic" foods? Expect to get robbed in the produce department.
    Guzzle a can of pop with every meal? That shit's not just unhealthy, it's expensive too.
    Living like a student, and you just can't get enough rice, beans, and pasta? Cost will go down, but don't neglect the fresh foods.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It depends on how much planning/portioning you do. The more elaborate your planning, the more you will save in the long run.

For example, you will want to plan meals for a week. Make sure you plan meals that have overlapping ingreidants and such. I like to make tacos a lot, so I'll make 1/2 or 1/3rd of a thing of ground beef, 1/3 of a green pepper, and 1/3rd of an onion as my core spices along with some salsa and shredded lettice from a salad bag. The next night I use another third of the meat and veggies to make pasta, and the thrid night I use the leftovers from the taco night (remaining salsa or meat&veggies refridgerated) in a thing of mac&cheese.

If you keep basic staples like hot dogs and buns and ramen noodles (or soup or ewhatever dry-good you like) you can use those to pad between your planned meals.

Honestly, for two people I usually make pretty elaborate, high quality food for about $5 per person each night. $10 if you include alcohol. The above is just an example, if you want higher quality products for cheap you have to shop around. Find a produce store/farmer's market and get your veggies from them. My town has a meat market where I can get a whole chicken for the price of a quarter pound of white mean at my grocery.

I usually only get dry goods from a general grocery store, though if it is your only option you can still be quite affordable.

The last bit of advice is to know what sauces and spices you are going to be using often. Like mexican? be sure to have a large stock of red pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Look up what you will use the most and be well stocked upon it.

And plan plan plan!

Enc on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How much you can expect to spend on groceries is going to be dependent on where you live and prices in your area. Because I live on a small island in Alaska and everything has to be barged in my grocery bill is always way higher than what I was used to in Michigan. In a normal week I will spend around $90 at the grocery store. $60 is a frugal week, and well over $100 when I have to buy coffee, cheese, milk ($5 a gallon), or any kind of fresh meat or produce.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you buy a lot of pre-fab, heat-n-eat meals, you'll usually pay more for less healthy food as well.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone who was shooting for as low as they could go without sacrificing health would be $20 a week.

I regularly spend $30 a week

Sos on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My boyfriend and I spend about $250 a month for the two of us but I cook almost completely from scratch so it's mostly raw ingredients and nothing pre-made.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I spend like... 80 a week

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Depends on if you're buying pre-made boxed crap or actually cooking food.

I cook, and I spend about $50/week for myself. Buying stuff in boxes and things will make it more expensive.

And yeah this is assuming you live someplace normal and not a remote island.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Makershot wrote: »

I could potentially get away with a $20 weekly food budget if I were extremely frugal, but $40-50 is a lot more reasonable. This is assuming that you buy during sales, at a regular grocery store/co-op, and use a few coupons/"club" cards.

Wholesale clubs can also be a good way to save money.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First off, don't settle for "easy" or "bachelor-proof" recipes. Make food that you want to eat. Your cooking will get better over time, but an unappetizing recipe will not. Make a big list of everything you order at restaurants, and then track down recipes for them. Google & the interweb are good places to start your search, but hit any conventional cookbooks you have as well. Obviously, a few will be too complex or labor-intensive, but you'd be surprised how easy (and cheap) a lot of your favorite meals are to make.

Pick a few of the less-intimidating ones off of your list and go shopping for the ingredients. This will give you a good baseline for how much you'll be spending on a weekly basis. $50 a week is a good average, especially after you've built up your supply of staple ingredients (flour, sugar, cornstarch, bouillon, etc...)

And stay away from prepared food; it's easier to make, but is generally more expensive and not as good for you. In general, you can bring your grocery bill down dramatically by spending more time in the kitchen and doing things yourself. Plus, it pushes the same obsessive-compulsive buttons that crafting minigames push in RPGs (but with a more tangible end-product.)

Good luck!

edit: hey, everyone else is advising against prepared food, too!

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd have to agree with everyone else so far. I spend around $50 a week on groceries when I'm just getting food. It'll obviously up the bill by quite a bit if I need to pick up other things for the kitchen, like ziplocs or garbage bags or what have you, but $50 is a good amount for food.

Obviously you can cut it down to way less than that if you need to save money, you just have to focus on finding deals and buying different things. As others have said, the best thing you can do is to have a plan. You'll end up paying an insane amount if you go to the grocery store and just try to pick out random things and have no idea what you're making -- plus, if you do that, you'll end up having to run back out for more things when you figure out what you DO want and realize you don't have everything.

That said, I'd say plan for somewhere around $50-$70 as you get started and you'll work it out to the high or low end depending on your needs. Start looking around websites and finding recipes. Keep in mind you can make certain foods like chili in bulk and freeze portions for later!

Websites like tastespotting.com may help you come up with good ideas. FoodNetwork's website is good, too.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wraps are cheap, sandwiches are cheap. Burritos and tacos are cheap. Pasta and sauce is cheap. All easy to make.

Stirfry is cheap and easy.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Makershot wrote: »

Wholesale clubs can also be a good way to save money.
    Over the long-term, of course, and especially if you have a family. But this is a single dude and you just can't buy certain items en masse (read: perishable items). For shelf-stable goods it's definitely a good idea.

Also, "regular grocery store/co-op" refers to the insane price-gouging that occurs at places like Whole Foods. Shop at a Kroger or something if you want to keep your spending reasonable.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's widely variable on where you live. My wife and I cook dinner most nights and eat well (we're not exactly gourmets, but we're also not eating ramen). We also make lunches and bring them to work. Our grocery bill is around $130-150 a week, in the Washington DC area.

We are kind of ridiculous in trying to buy stuff that's on sale and that we have coupons for, so take that into account too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    WhizWartWhizWart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Depends on the store and your tastes. Organic milk from whole foods costs A TON more next to, say, Wal-mart generic milk. Keep in mind also you're probably going to spend much more on your first real grocery trip than you normally would since some stuff like condiments last longer. I average about $75/week, but I tend not to use coupons or comparision shop too much. You can probably do better if you really need to.

WhizWart on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No matter what budget you're aiming for, the key is to plan your week ahead of time before you go grocery shopping.

Instead of going to the store, heading down each aisle, and buying what you think looks good, what's on sale, or what you think would work in a meal at some point, sit down and write down a meal for every day of the week.

Then, go to the kitchen and check off the things you already have for those meals. When you go to the store, you only buy the items on your list. You could easily get by with $50/week for one person. I've gone with $50/week for two, and that's not with eating junk/pre-made garbage at all. It's all about planning your meals.

It also helps to check out flyers for your local stores, and plan meals according to what the current sales are. If ground beef is on sale, plan a lot of your meals around that (spaghetti & meatballs, shepherd's pie, tacos, etc.)

Also, although a lot of people may disagree, stay away from Costco or similar stores. You waste money every year on a membership only to buy way too much shit that will eventually go to waste. For the most part, you aren't saving that much money, and you end up buying shit you don't need because, "Hey look! That's such a great deal!"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    corey26corey26 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Unless you buy organic food, most healthy foods are much cheaper than unhealthy food like chips and cookies. Load up on chicken, tuna, and vegetables, and you will be healthier and save a few bucks in the process.

corey26 on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I live in New York City and shop at Pathmark for my girlfriend and I (and 2 cats). This month, over four shopping trips, we spent $311 total, or $150 per person, or $37 per week. We also spent $70 on eating out this month.

So, in NYC, with 2 cats, it came to $380 total per month, or $45 per person per week.

That said, I buy almost everything on sale in big quantities and therefore have lots of everything for cheap at all times. I think my last receipt told me I've saved $140 this month.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Also, although a lot of people may disagree, stay away from Costco or similar stores. You waste money every year on a membership only to buy way too much shit that will eventually go to waste. For the most part, you aren't saving that much money, and you end up buying shit you don't need because, "Hey look! That's such a great deal!"

If you have a friend with a membership though... it is a great place to buy things that don't go bad (think tp, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, canned tomatoes, canned beans) My mom has a membership and every time she comes to visit we go shopping for that sort of stuff if we need it. You do need to have some self-control and not buy stuff you wouldn't buy otherwise.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It may not be the coolest thing in the world to do, but clip coupons. My family saves at least $10 a week - which is actually fairly low compared to some people I know, as we only clip coupons for stuff we like to buy and will eat that week . If you're willing to eat pretty much anything, and stock up on non-perishables, you can really drive your food budget down with just a pair of scissors and the weekend paper.

You pay for convenience, as others have said. Learn to cook stuff that's easy and you enjoy, and you'll save scads of cash, and avoid a shitload of sodium in prepared meals.

I'll concur with the estimate of $20-50 per person, per week, although $20 is at the very very low end of doable in my experience (I used to shop for myself and three roommates, $160 every two weeks, but this was 15 years ago now).

Meat will be one of your biggest expenses, but if you buy bulk packs of meat, freeze some, and/or make soups, stews and the better casseroles (not a casserole fan myself), that will help save cash as well. If you like a hot breakfast, you can even make a huge pot of stone cut oatmeal early in the weak, mix it with some dried fruits like raisins or craisins, a little honey or brown sugar, maybe some nuts and it will keep and reheat well all week. Big tin of the stuff is only a few bucks and makes a hell of a lot more breakfasts than regular cereal.

As for the clubs, many will offer "trial memberships" from time to time. Take advantage of those to stock up on the stuff you know you'll use, and won't go bad. Helps if you know the per-unit cost of the stuff you buy at the grocery store (laundry detergent, toothpaste, shampoo, etc...)you have a good coupon, and you aren't brand loyal or they have your favorite brand.. PAYING for a membership isn't worth it, UNLESS you're buying diapers and formula. Discounts on buying that shit in bulk WILL pay off during your kid's first year. (I know you're a bachelor, but just some free advice to anyone reading who's a new parent).

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »

If you have a friend with a membership though... it is a great place to buy things that don't go bad (think tp, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, canned tomatoes, canned beans) My mom has a membership and every time she comes to visit we go shopping for that sort of stuff if we need it. You do need to have some self-control and not buy stuff you wouldn't buy otherwise.

My boyfriend and I have a one month trial membership we were given and I have a feeling once we start going we'll keep going for the same reason. Also, perishable doesn't mean eat now or lose it, I freeze ground beef all the time when I get it on sale as well as chicken and pork. I also buy a lot, cook a lot and then freeze the meals so I have something to take out on days I don't feel like cooking. Membership is only $50/yr and I already know I'll save that easily.

When I got to a regular grocer like Shaw's I always buy what's on sale unless I need something brand specific (typically this only happens for baking where I'm nuts about my ingredients). Sure I'm, only saving $.20 on the store brand butter over the name brand but over a year it adds up and over my whole shopping trip it adds up.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Mostly sound advice. I go to Costco for one or two things that I know I'll use enough of to make practical. Staple coffee is a good thing you can pick up here (I get the Duncan Donuts Brand whole bean for about a third of what I would pay per ounce at my grocery, same with certain cleaning detergents and staples like toilet paper and paper towels, and power bars).

But then, I have a free membership through work. Odds are good that by time you pay the membership fees, even if you are a careful shopper, you aren't saving anything.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    It may not be the coolest thing in the world to do, but clip coupons. My family saves at least $10 a week - which is actually fairly low compared to some people I know, as we only clip coupons for stuff we like to buy and will eat that week . If you're willing to eat pretty much anything, and stock up on non-perishables, you can really drive your food budget down with just a pair of scissors and the weekend paper.

The woman who runs this website regularly buys $1-300 worth of groceries and pays 20-50 dollars. She says that on good weeks when there's double coupon days and buy-one-get-one sales and the like, she can actually go shopping for a months worth of food and the grocery store ends up owing her money when she's done.
    img_0613Receipt97.gif
    On that purchase she bought 34 bucks worth of stuff and ended up paying 3 dollars and change.

That shit's goddamn crazy.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    We're sorry. There is no list available in your area. Please try again soon. If you have any further questions, please use the customer service link on the left-hand navigation bar. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Whee.

Anything like that for Canada?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd just be googling same as you would, I'm afraid.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not shilling for her website. In fact, I actively dislike her particular site. In order to run their "free trial", they make you enter a credit card number, and assure you that as long as you cancel before your free trial is up, you won't be billed. Thats some BMG/Sci-Fi Book Club style tactics there. I just used that site as an example, as I'm not directly familiar with similar sites that truly are free.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    I'd just be googling same as you would, I'm afraid.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not shilling for her website. In fact, I actively dislike her particular site. In order to run their "free trial", they make you enter a credit card number, and assure you that as long as you cancel before your free trial is up, you won't be billed. Thats some BMG/Sci-Fi Book Club style tactics there. I just used that site as an example, as I'm not directly familiar with similar sites that truly are free.

Yeah, I just use RFD/SC/other Canadian forums, and get the online flyers/coupon codes for my local stores. Something tells me that I wouldn't get anything from a pay-site like TGG. If I lived in a metro centre where I had these stores that are stupid enough to offer double-coupon/coupon-stacking/etc, then I'd be all over something like this.

Also, that credit-card thing is shady as fuck.

tl;dr - punch your zip/postal code into the website's checker first to make sure that it'll be of use to you

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Currently I spend ~65 Canadian weekly for a single person. I 'could' go cheaper by I get the majority of my meats from local butchers and fish mongers.

Ethea on
  • Options
    zerochapterzerochapter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    also a good tip is buy stuff when it is in season, (Fruits veg ect)

zerochapter on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Another good strategy for grocery shopping, if you're good at thinking on the fly or you make simple things, is to see what's on sale and then build from that.

Like if you see chicken breast is on sale this week (or whatever) then you're making something with that this week.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Meat on sale is always something you can stock up on. Freeze it and figure out what to make out of it later, but buy it while it's cheap. Our grocery store put chicken breasts on sale for 88 cents a pound one week and we bought like 20 pounds.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Meat on sale is always something you can stock up on. Freeze it and figure out what to make out of it later, but buy it while it's cheap.

My freezer has already paid for itself. My only regret is not buying one twice as large. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

The woman who runs this website regularly buys $1-300 worth of groceries and pays 20-50 dollars. She says that on good weeks when there's double coupon days and buy-one-get-one sales and the like, she can actually go shopping for a months worth of food and the grocery store ends up owing her money when she's done.
    img_0613Receipt97.gif
    On that purchase she bought 34 bucks worth of stuff and ended up paying 3 dollars and change.

That shit's goddamn crazy.

I've seen several stories about her and people like her. The only drawback is that you begin investing serious amounts of time comparison shopping and getting the best coupons. It can become like a part time job. So you need to ask what your time is worth to you at that point. Regardless, anyone can save some money with coupons. Look at it this way - if through sales and coupons you manage to save $10 a week, that's $520 more a year to spend on games!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Look at it this way - if through sales and coupons you manage to save $10 a week, that's $560 more a year to spend on games!

wut

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Look at it this way - if through sales and coupons you manage to save $10 a week, that's $560 more a year to spend on games!

wut

Epic fail. I'm tired, and I had a squirming 4 year old pestering me. I'll fix it.

Point is, still a shitload of savings over time.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Staple coffee is a good thing you can pick up here (I get the Duncan Donuts Brand whole bean for about a third of what I would pay per ounce at my grocery).

On that note, all that coffee will probably go stale if you're buying the huge bags, even if you store them in an airtight container like you're supposed to since air will remain in the container when you seal it up. One thing that I discovered a couple of months ago that keeps coffee beans tasting better for longer (no matter the quantity) are one of those Reynolds vacuum sealable plastic bags. It's a small investment if you're a coffee fiend (around 6 or 7 dollars for the sealer and the bags it comes with) and you can get virtually all of the air out of the bags, unlike trying to squeeze the air out of a regular zip-lock bag. The beans are packed solid when you're done.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really should look into coupons and buying stuff on sale. It's just I get so busy and forget about food until I'm hungry and then I just go buy one meals worth of ingrediants and cook them.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I usually buy about 2 weeks worth of groceries at a time and it comes to about $80.

I like buying those little ziplock snack bags that parents use to put carrots and stuff in. They're great for meat portions. Buy ground beef or steak or chicken breast or thighs or whatever and divide it up into those bags. Each bag can hold approximately one serving of meat. So when you want something for dinner just take a bag out of the freezer, defrost, and make whatever with it.

Asiina on