As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attention: the protomen still exist! cover album available now!

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    If you go to the main Protomen site there's a link now to buy just the digital copy of the cover album, if you're a baby about cool retro formats

I bought the cassette anyway because why not, but it's good that they did this.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    hmmmmmm

i think i like that old demo version of No Easy Way Out they put out forever ago than I do the version on the album

the album version has a faster tempo and it makes it feel... truncated?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so i am finally listening to the night of queen and I think it might be...too good? like, it's an obvious vocal achievement to just be so good that you can literally just be queen, but it also means that you just sound exactly like the original. You could tell me actually this is just a re-titled greatest hits album and I'd be like oh ok, you got me. The lead singer is so good at being freddie mercury that he doesn't put himself into it, if that makes sense.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Is it just me or did they not tag any of the mp3s they give you for the cover up digitally

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    so i am finally listening to the night of queen and I think it might be...too good? like, it's an obvious vocal achievement to just be so good that you can literally just be queen, but it also means that you just sound exactly like the original. You could tell me actually this is just a re-titled greatest hits album and I'd be like oh ok, you got me. The lead singer is so good at being freddie mercury that he doesn't put himself into it, if that makes sense.

Well, that's typically what a tribute act is. It's got to be more than just a bunch of covers

The guy who does Bowie part on Under Pressure is clearly doing his best Bowie voice and I'm sure the other band at that show was trying to sound as much like Sabbath as possible

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Not liking vinyl is dumb.

Not having a record player I get.

But not liking better sound quality is straight cray.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN

I don't think its the case that its always better sound quality though, and certainly not everyone has the same hearing range necessary to actually appreciate the supposed differences

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

But, vinyl isn't "better." You have to truncate the highs and the lows on vinyl by nature of the production process. You also have to deal with physical imperfections in the vinyl and the quality of your needle. It's not necessarily better or worse than a properly sampled, high-bitrate digital file. It just sounds different.

jgeis on
    Protomen are good in all formats. I kinda wish I had a record player and I would've bought the vinyl instead of the novelty cassette.

This cover album rules. If act 3 draws heavily from these songs we're in for a treat.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

If Vinyl was better it would be

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited February 2015
    I'm not saying "don't like vinyl", I grew up listening to the records of my parents

But I couldn't tell you the differences between listening to vinyl or FLAC on the same sound system most likely

Naphtali on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I didn't think there was a differene between vinyl and flac since its a lossless format

I don't even bother listening to FLAC, 320kb mp3s is usually good enough for me that I don't pick out the differences. My hearing is deffo wack yo.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The thing I like about vinyl is that when I put on a record it's a lot harder to multitask

It's like, an experience, man

Naphtali wrote: »
    I'm not saying "don't like vinyl", I grew up listening to the records of my parents

But I couldn't tell you the differences between listening to vinyl or FLAC on the same sound system most likely

Yeah, same here. I really enjoy vinyl, both the sound and the physicality. I have an ever-growing collection of vinyl and some stuff just sounds right on vinyl.

FLAC is just a lossless compression format. It's still a digital format, where the audio is compressed and limited by the sampling rate.

Whoa nine new posts what did Act III get released early

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Yes but you can't have it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    This is cause I posted the Act II liner notes, isn't it
    They found out
    or one of you snitched

Yes, but only on 8-track and for $2500 you can get a non-running Chevy Vega with vintage 8-track player.

• SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I am highly suspicious of anyone who claims to be able to tell the difference between any format above 320kbps mp3. Like, there is definitely a difference, and theoretically it is perceptible, but I put a lot more stock in the brain's ability to fool itself than the senses' abilities to perceive things.
    Like those double blind tests where professional sommeliers can't reliably tell the difference between red and white wines when they're served at room temperature
    or those double blind tests where world-class violinists and audio engineers prefer violins made by 21st century luthiers to the much-worshipped Stradivarius, after concocting extremely elaborate pseudo-scientific justifications for why Stradivarius violins are inherently superior to everything else, because of the craftsmanship or magic mini-ice age wood or some shit

if you can't hear the difference beyond 320kbps, it's probably not because your hearing is wack, it's probably just because you haven't been through a multi-hundred thousand dollar educational program that conditioned you to stake your ego and sense of professional worth on your potentially dubious ability to detect said difference

but
    Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

EDIT: in case that sounds overly hostile i am not trying to yell at anyone in this thread i am just bitter about scoffing dudes in college with iPods full of FLAC vinyl rips of Lateralus

Snork on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    jgeis wrote: »

But, vinyl isn't "better." You have to truncate the highs and the lows on vinyl by nature of the production process. You also have to deal with physical imperfections in the vinyl and the quality of your needle. It's not necessarily better or worse than a properly sampled, high-bitrate digital file. It just sounds different.

Different in this case also meaning "often better than most."

I honestly think you get a richer sound from a record than the vast majority of digital file formats. I'm sure part of that is the fact that my record player is part of a larger sound system, of course, whereas I'm listening to .mp3s and podcasts and so forth on my computer or with earphones or my iHome-esque-thing, but I have a pretty sweet surround system for my computer and .mp3s still don't have the same depth that vinyl captures in my own opinion. FLAC sounds nice and all on that system, I guess, but it's in my room, which makes it a moot point for the rest of the apartment.

I guess this entire discussion shall be the first shots fired in the FLAC Versus Vinyl Wars of 2015, but essentially what this is going to turn into is a drag-out fight over maintaining the proper audio setup regardless of format, and what speakers you're using, and how nice is your turntable plus the challenge of tracking down "lossless" digital versions of albums and EVERYONE GET UP THIS BUTT TOGETHER LET'S GO

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    jgeis wrote: »

Different in this case also meaning "often better than most."

I honestly think you get a richer sound from a record than the vast majority of digital file formats. I'm sure part of that is the fact that my record player is part of a larger sound system, of course, whereas I'm listening to .mp3s and podcasts and so forth on my computer or with earphones or my iHome-esque-thing, but I have a pretty sweet surround system for my computer and .mp3s still don't have the same depth that vinyl captures in my own opinion. FLAC sounds nice and all on that system, I guess, but it's in my room, which makes it a moot point for the rest of the apartment.

I guess this entire discussion shall be the first shots fired in the FLAC Versus Vinyl Wars of 2015, but essentially what this is going to turn into is a drag-out fight over maintaining the proper audio setup regardless of format, and what speakers you're using, and how nice is your turntable plus the challenge of tracking down "lossless" digital versions of albums and EVERYONE GET UP THIS BUTT TOGETHER LET'S GO

I mean, you're not wrong. A proper stereo setup is just as important as the format of music you're listening to. Even a 128kbps MP3 is going to gain something from being played on a sweet, $10,000 setup with proper monitors and amps and DACs and whatnot. On the same token, listening to your favorite vinyl records through a pair of $10 earbuds is going to be pretty terrible.

Here's a link to an article that goes into a decent depth of info (watch the video in the article for a lot of info) on the inherent advantages and disadvantages of vinyl vs. digital formats (in this case, the CD).

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    you hit diminishing turns with sound equipment pretty quickly (for most major stuff I'd call it around $200, besides maybe turntables and the greatest CD player created by man, the Sony PS1) but the real cost is how quickly even $200 bits and pieces add up

so I feel pretty silly

but I definitely did not notice they changed the lyrics to The Trooper until like last week

did they tweak any of the other covers like that?

• CosCos Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Someone sound the alarm—the robots hit the road this weekend for their summer tour!

JULY
    11th – Asheville, NC – The Orange Peel
    12th – Carborro, NC – Cat’s Cradle
    13th – Richmond, VA – The Broadberry
    15th – Baltimore, MD – Baltimore Soundstage
    16th – Danbury, CT – Heirloom Arts Theatre
    18th – Somerville, MA – Thunder Road
    19th – New York City, NY – Gramercy Theatre *w/ Kellindo
    21st – Howell, NJ – Game Changer World
    23rd – Columbia, SC New – Brookland Tavern *w/ Hans Condor
    24th – Gainesville, FL – High Dive *w/ Hans Condor
    25th – Orlando, FL – Backbooth *w/ Hans Condor
    26th – Atlanta, GA – Masquerade *w/ Hans Condor

AUGUST
    14th – Nashville, TN – Exit/In (Red Bull Sound Select)

I'll be going to the Asheville and Columbia shows. Anyone else planning to come out to fight? That's what we do at these right? It's been so long...

Cos on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I felt this way about a number of the tracks on their cover album, actually--they sound great, but a lot of them are so faithful they kind of lack of a certain... Protomen quality to them. The best track on the cover album for me is No Easy Way Out for that reason--they changed the genre, so it sounds like its own thing while clearly being a cover/tribute. I wish they had done that with more songs.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hell, might see you at the Cola show then! I love that they come here so often.

Edit: oh yeah, totally fight

Qanamil on
    This-City-Made-Us_front-cover_72.png
    It’s finally time to pull the lid off this one. What you’re looking at is the 10″ record single for the new hit Act III track, “This City Made Us.” It’s a pretty tough jam. Artwork by John DeLucca.

Now, you’re probably wondering what cover jam we put on the B-side… well, stop it. Haven’t we done enough? Seriously, we just put out a whole album of those. And there technically isn’t even a B-side on this record, because it’s listed as Side 2. But I’ll tell you that on that Side 2 is……. drumroll…. wait for it….. “Hold Back The Night.” There. We finally did it. You now know the official title of the song. And yes, it’s always been called that, but we didn’t want to ruin the speculatory fun. Mostly everyone eventually landed on the right side of history with it, though, so congratulations!

When can you get it, you ask? Well, we’ve partially learned our lesson here with dealing with vinyl, so we’re holding back the pre-sale until Aug 15th (10am CST – the morning after the release party we’re about to get to further down below). We didn’t like that everyone had to wait so long to get their Cover Up records (that was entirely on us for pulling the lid off too early). Hooweevverr, it did get the music in your hands quicker, so pros and cons. Either way, we’re trying to split the difference this time. When the pre-order starts, there will hopefully only be about a month and a half wait between pre-sale and shipping.

And, just like the Cover Up record, it comes with an instant 320kbs Mp3 download of the two songs, and the record itself has a download code inside for formats like WAV and FLAC.

Those of you who can make it to the show will be the first to hear the new jams, because we’ll have them available for pre-sale at the merch booth. Purchaseers (same thing as purchasers, but more fancy sounding) will receive a special download card at the merch booth, and your record will be shipped to you when they escape the record pressing plant. These records are very limited, so get to the show if you can. But if you can’t be at the show, be on the internet at 10am CST on Aug. 15th.

Red Bull was kind enough to partner with us on this show with their Red Bull Sound Select series. What that means to you is that it’s an 18+ single release show for only $3 dollars. And our good friend Ri¢hie will be there with us, and so will In The Whale.

A big heads up. It’s not a traditional “purchase your tickets in advance” type situation. What you do is go to this website and RSVP. This puts you on the list and then you just come to the show and pay your three dollars at the door. It doesn’t guarantee entry, but if you’re relatively early, you’ll almost certainly get in (unless we get super famous between now and then).

RSVP link is here
    https://www.redbullsoundselect.com/events/2015/08/red-bull-sound-select-presents-red-bull-sound-select-nashville

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    oh shit

OH SHIT

SO MANY STORY IMPLICATIONS FROM THAT ART

HOLY SHIT YEAH

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i wonder if that is an allusion to Ozymandias

pillars of salt and sand

Wait so I'm unclear

Is the only way to get the songs to buy the vinyl

Wait so I'm unclear

Yes but as soon as you pre-order the vinyl you will get download codes emailed to you

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Act 3? Finally! Been waiting for this one.

They will probably also offer just codes for purchase later on down the line

edited July 2015
    Protomen like their collectibles and know they have dedicated enough fans who will buy em, so why not do the vinyl thing? It works for em.

rhylith on
    I'm gonna try really hard to go to that Nashville show

Wait so I'm unclear

Yes but as soon as you pre-order the vinyl you will get download codes emailed to you
    Yeah but I don't have any way of playing vinyl records and don't plan to get one anytime soon so

I forgot that every single protomen release has to have this period of being frustrated with them being grumpy about it not being the 80s anymore

But you get the codes! Right away!
    Put the record up on eBay or something

I still haven't gotten my vinyl copy of The Cover Up. I got a tracking number via email, but it never updated. I don't know what's up with the order. GoMerch didn't respond to my inquiry before end of day.