Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Pathetic Geek Stories - The Regeekening

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I proof read on a volunteer basis.

I also proof read at work. Today, I did some proof reading for our weapon descriptions. Then I was told they're all changing.

Hurray!

Despite the terrible posts I make I can write well when I need to

it's really very frustrating working for a company and seeing your marketing and corporate presentations going out with horrible grammatical errors (not to mention often terrible design) and not being able to do anything about it

sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Janson wrote: »
    Okay!

That is a little more than I was expecting but it's cool

i would absolutely volunteer & help you for free, but i have a shitload of design work right now, so i pretty much have to charge, otherwise i can't pay for food/art supplies

• TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Orik and Viv since you are both online how much do you charge for proof-reading out of curiosity

that depends entirely on the nature of the proofreading and who is paying

typically I get paid by the word

the part-time place I work for also pays me based on how soon they need the proofreading done by

this

I'll do it for toblerone

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I proof read on a volunteer basis.

I also proof read at work. Today, I did some proof reading for our weapon descriptions. Then I was told they're all changing.

Hurray!

Despite the terrible posts I make I can write well when I need to

it's really very frustrating working for a company and seeing your marketing and corporate presentations going out with horrible grammatical errors (not to mention often terrible design) and not being able to do anything about it

For a while, we were sending all our press releases out without an editing pass.

This has since changed, but oh my god was it annoying.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2009
    Okay!

i would absolutely volunteer & help you for free, but i have a shitload of design work right now, so i pretty much have to charge, otherwise i can't pay for food/art supplies

No no, I totally understand, that's why I asked about fees, because I understand I'd have to pay

Anyway, I'm talking way in the future, maybe a year or two. And it's not for publication, just for a friend, but I'd still probably get a couple of people to read it over and make sure it reads well.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, i just wanted chips and human contact. So lonely and requiring snacks.

edited October 2009
    Okay!

No no, I totally understand, that's why I asked about fees, because I understand I'd have to pay

Anyway, I'm talking way in the future, maybe a year or two. And it's not for publication, just for a friend, but I'd still probably get a couple of people to read it over and make sure it reads well.

oh, if it's way in the future then absolutely hit me up :)

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a dream last night that I was Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell.

Except I had traveled back in time and was infiltrating a boat or something filled with terrorists.

Only the terrorists had also traveled back in time and they came from 1989 or something.

edited October 2009
    Melding wrote: »

Dude, I would totally send chips and, well, the human contact may be hard to manage unless you're in the bay area

the more the merrier!

• VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay!

well one of the reasons I also mentioned the "who is paying" part is that is if it were you, I'd totally do it for free

for people I don't know or acquaintances and stuff it'd probably be about US$0.05 a word, lower if it's a large document, higher if it's needed within 18 hours

edited October 2009

Dude, I would totally send chips and, well, the human contact may be hard to manage unless you're in the bay area

the more the merrier!

I will take you up on that one day. You wont know when, you won't know where. But i will send a message first to give you an idea.

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In the four years I studied English I probably should have done more to study basic grammar than just reading Strunk and White

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited October 2009
    hey viv we could tag team proof

• ArtreusArtreus Hey kids, want some drugs?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I make some dumb writing mistakes when doing a paper. But then again I am usually doing them last-minute. Holy crap I am going to die.

Too much work to do.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2009
    I have a friend with an English degree who is a teaching assistant and while I love her to bits dear god is she a terrible speller and her grammar is all over the place

but what can you do

edited October 2009

this sounds way more fun that you probably intended it to sound

edited October 2009
    I often amaze myself with the level of skill i have in english. not even kidding, I'm pretty much self taught on everything.

• DubhDubh BEST FRIENDS WITH FIRE Hudda!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay!

I'm a cheap (free) and vicious editor. I also know a guy who's been editing newspapers for awhile, if you want somebody with experience, and he probably wouldn't cost that much if he's interested.

Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
    edited October 2009
    Okay!

well one of the reasons I also mentioned the "who is paying" part is that is if it were you, I'd totally do it for free

for people I don't know or acquaintances and stuff it'd probably be about US$0.05 a word, lower if it's a large document, higher if it's needed within 18 hours
    <3

But honestly it may end up being so long I feel like I'll have to at least pay people a token amount otherwise I'll be consumed by guilt

edited October 2009
    I often amaze myself with the level of skill i have in english. not even kidding, I'm pretty much self taught on everything.

hell the only reason my English is so good (in a technical sense) is because I busted my ass to LEARN the damn language in the first place

I was in ESL for a whole fucking year back when I was in grade 3, that sucked

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a friend with an English degree who is a teaching assistant and while I love her to bits dear god is she a terrible speller and her grammar is all over the place

but what can you do

Sounds about right

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited October 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    In the four years I studied English I probably should have done more to study basic grammar than just reading Strunk and White

I had one of our editors come in the other day and chat with me for a bit. Asked me if I was interested in an editing job, and I had to say I wasn't. My reason - 'I don't actually know the rules of grammar. I'm like the Potter Stewart of grammar. I couldn't define the rules, but I know when something's wrong.'

I never really did any heavy reading on the actual rules of grammar. I've just read and written enough that I generally know what they are by instinct.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2009

nah it'll probably be pretty fun actually

a hell of a lot better than doing stuff for a job

• As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For a science major, I'm actually a pretty good proof reader and writer. It's my initial drafts that always have trouble.

Actually, almost all my high level electives in college were creative writing courses. Maybe one day I'll get a minor and write a short novel or something.

Which brings me to a geeky story about college.

I once was torn up about a girl and the movie I chose to wallow in grief to, later in the day, was Donnie Darko.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited October 2009

I had one of our editors come in the other day and chat with me for a bit. Asked me if I was interested in an editing job, and I had to say I wasn't. My reason - 'I don't actually know the rules of grammar. I'm like the Potter Stewart of grammar. I couldn't define the rules, but I know when something's wrong.'

I never really did any heavy reading on the actual rules of grammar. I've just read and written enough that I generally know what they are by instinct.

so? buy a copy of the chicago manual of style and the elements of style and go to town

nobody knows rules off the top of they head, they look it up

and eventually they get that shit memorized

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There was a local government election recently and I voted for the incumbent because he had better grammar on his flyer.

The Genius of the Daleks

Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
    edited October 2009
    As7 wrote: »
    For a science major, I'm actually a pretty good proof reader and writer. It's my initial drafts that always have trouble.

Actually, almost all my high level electives in college were creative writing courses. Maybe one day I'll get a minor and write a short novel or something.

Which brings me to a geeky story about college.

I once was torn up about a girl and the movie I chose to wallow in grief to, later in the day, was Donnie Darko.

He told me to insert the Life Line card into my anus!

edited October 2009

so? buy a copy of the chicago manual of style and the elements of style and go to town

Orik knows what the fuck is up.

My favorite High School English teacher gifted me with the Elements of Style as a graduation gift.

edited October 2009

hell the only reason my English is so good (in a technical sense) is because I busted my ass to LEARN the damn language in the first place

I was in ESL for a whole fucking year back when I was in grade 3, that sucked

I didn't know how to speak any language until i was almost five and i couldn't read until i was 7 or 8.

My parents must have thought i was retarded. Now i'm the smart one. Except with english there i just kinda grunt and point. point and grunt.

edited October 2009
    My spoken English is atrocious

edited October 2009
    All accidental spoonerisms and tripping over words and stopping in the middle of sentences (used to drive my ex crazy, I think he thought I did it to annoy him) because my brain generally moves too fast for my mouth

• As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was having trouble with reading in first grade.

So my mother told me if I learned to tread a particular book she'd buy me an NES.

It worked pretty well.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited October 2009

Well, part two of that story is that I'm being quietly recruited by another department, except this one is a content creation one and I really want a job with them.

But I didn't really think it was germane to the story I was telling, so I left it out. Basically I was just really proud of the Potter Stewart thing.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2009

I AM WRITING THE SHIT OUT OF THIS ARTICLE

currently having problems keeping it to 800 words (as recommended by the individual who gave me this idea in the first place)

but whatever I'm going to write it out and then shave it back

edited October 2009
    My spoken English is crude, and barely decipherable. There's a reason why I use the forums as my main social medium!
    Spoiler:

edited October 2009
    All accidental spoonerisms and tripping over words and stopping in the middle of sentences (used to drive my ex crazy, I think he thought I did it to annoy him) because my brain generally moves too fast for my mouth

You're English, though! You're not allowed to admit weakness with the language, it just gives us colonials more ammunition.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2009
    I only speak in cryptic riddles

• ArtreusArtreus Hey kids, want some drugs?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This is basically me.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2009
    I still have the Rules for Writers and Rules for Business Writers books I used in uni

I need to get my hands on Elements of Style, though

edited October 2009

I AM WRITING THE SHIT OUT OF THIS ARTICLE

currently having problems keeping it to 800 words (as recommended by the individual who gave me this idea in the first place)

but whatever I'm going to write it out and then shave it back

that's the spirit! you go, girl, he said and then immediately regretted it

This discussion has been closed.