As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who here does a lot of drugs?

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Moderation, folks

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I forgot to mention that I love acid.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I had a friend who became schizophrenic after dropping erryday for a week while smoking crack, stealing pills, and doing heorin.

Batshit crazy. He went from a normal gamer to a gibbering lunatic.

Well at least the acid wasn't doing much of anything after the first day. It was probably a run of the mill psychotic break that just happened to include crack, pills, and heroin. Not that that makes him or you feel any better, I'm sure.

TL DR on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hooves wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    you still clearly have a self control problem if you were offered crack and said yes after promising yourself you'd never do it

s'what addicts do
    man I don't even smoke pot anymore. I have a few beers here and there, but unless something really intriguing presents itself that's about it. Not having an addictive personality is tops.

i hate you with every fiber of my being

i will eat your brain and gain your powers

care to elaborate? all this hatred seems kind of unprovoked

i am envious

i am an addict and cannot use anything in moderation, so i have to abstain completely from the things that i want the most

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Air wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    true, but does it make a difference that I knew I was lying to myself the whole time?

It's mostly a matter of curiosity for me. Once I've tried something and decided it's not worth it I have no problem turning it down in the future.

so what happens if you come across something that you do want to do again, and again, and again?

I have already found my drug of choice and I have neither the desire nor the means to do it in excess.

This doesn't answer my question. You've said that you will try anything once and then decide you don't like it, but what happens when you come across something that you do like and get addicted to?

define "addicted"

unable to discontinue using despite progressive negative consequences

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Ok, fuck this Zoloft shit. It makes me feel like a robot.

I'd rather feel shit and experience the occasional bout of anxiety than feel nothing at all.

WELCOME TO MY WORLD MARCH 2003! BWAHAHAHHA!

Seriously though. A little story: I moved from Dallas where i had friends and family to Albuquerque where i had an internet girlfriend who dumped me. I was already dealing with social anxiety and that sorta pushed me over the edge... that is... it was not a healthy environment but rather one that would foster the disorder.

I was put on xanax for anxiety (1.5mg/day) and that shit was great for like a week. But then my birthday came around and i realized the ugly side: neither bad nor good things affect you. They both have negligible impact on you while on antidepressants. So i tried to quit cold turkey but my brain didn't like that and i went into horrible withdraw symptoms (headaches, throwing up, shaking, etc).

long story short, i found that smoking pot killed both withdraw symptoms and anxiety.

So my advice to you is to try smoking pot...

yes try a substance not manufactured for the purpose of combating your symptoms in a completely uncontrolled manner despite the fact that it can cause anxiety and depression in people

fucking brilliant idea
    Pony wrote: »
    anti-depressants are really all over the place

some have made me gain huge amounts of weight

others have diminished my appetite over time

effexor gave me a full-blown psychotic episode and the police were called and i got taken away to the psych ward for a while

wellbutrin, the stuff i am on now, is pretty decent. keeps me from getting too down or apathetic, and actually has a really peculiar side effect

spoilered because it is pretty TMI:
    after an orgasm, i continue to have a pretty rockin' boner. used to be after firing my artillery i'd be spent and, like most fellows, would need a refractory period to recover. now, since i've been on the wellbutrin, i can basically keep going without interruption and have more orgasms off a single stiffy. eventually, my dork just gets tired and goes soft and my body is exhausted and i have to stop, but i usually average about 2-3 blasts before i gotta stop. in one instance i got up to 5 over the course of about 20 minutes. i then slept for four hours.

best side effect ever?

maybe.

you fuckin' asshole

the only side effect celexa has on me is it makes it hard to achieve orgasm

i still manage but, you know, takes some work

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i will tell you one thing to avoid doing on acid

and that is trying to have sex
    Yes... a thousand times yes.

Cuddling, however...

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Look, just get a job and drink scotch.

It's not that hard.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i will tell you one thing to avoid doing on acid

and that is trying to have sex

Man that shit is tops if you are in relationship and things are going pretty swimmingly

otherwise it is a nightmare train to "GET OUT" ville.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My problems/problem involves much less a psychological issue and has a lot more to do with being a pariah through primary and high school. I went through psychologists and such for years but they couldn't help me.

My biggest issue was that anti-depressants never solved any problems, they just made me numb to them

yeah that's about the state of modern psychology.

They offer very few real solutions, but a ton of treatments that you "should have no problems taking for the rest of your life."

Like seriously, how many antidepressants list "thoughts of suicide" as one of the possible "side effects."

pharmaceutical companies have to list every single thing that has happened even once as a result of their medication

if even one person

and yeah, sometimes it can take a bunch of tries with different antidepressants to find one that works for you, it did for me, and i finally don't want to kill myself every day like i have for the past 11 or 12 years

but i take a pill every day, so i'm what, selling out to the man? :roll: i'm sure you don't have a problem smoking pot every day.

(ps untreated depression has a 15-20 percent mortality rate

one in every five or six people with major depressive disorder that do not get it treated will successfully kill themselves)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    That is not a reason to make something illegal though.

because laws exist in order to facilitate the functioning of a society

you can have a functioning society where people drink or smoke pot or cigarettes

you can't have one where it's okay for people to shoot heroin

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd vote for "therapist who knows you're trying cannabis" over "family doctor rubber-stamps some Zoloft" any day of the week.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

you can have a functioning society where people drink or smoke pot or cigarettes

Yes you can.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    I'd vote for "therapist who knows you're trying cannabis" over "family doctor rubber-stamps some Zoloft" any day of the week.

smoking pot as a coping mechanism is healthy

Not at all what I'm suggesting, but good for you.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

i doubt a therapist would actually recommend you use it, 1) if it's not causing any problems then they probably won't care, and 2) because therapists are trained professionals and actually know what they're doing, and aren't just people on drugs who think you should use drugs because "yeahhh man" like you
    Callius wrote: »

Yes you can.
    in fuckin' magic hippie land where everything is okay and the earth goddess watches over us all, maybe

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    No, in places where heroin addiction is treated as a disease and addicts can safely inject in clinical, sterilized locations.

Demystify the experience and rates of use drop.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh, yeah, in a regulated clinical setting then whatever

i meant, it shouldn't just be fuckin sold in stores or something like cigarettes and alcohol

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

i doubt a therapist would actually recommend you use it, 1) if it's not causing any problems then they probably won't care, and 2) because therapists are trained professionals and actually know what they're doing, and aren't just people on drugs who think you should use drugs because "yeahhh man" like you

This is the part where I post a flippant image poking fun at you rather than dignify this with a response, right?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    why would they let them inject heroin instead of getting them on suboxone or something that doesn't get them high

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    flippant is such a weird word

just say it aloud to yourself a bunch

flippant
    flippant

flippantflippantflippantOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahahaahahahaah!

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    why would they let them inject heroin instead of getting them on suboxone or something that doesn't get them high
    They're going to do heroin anyway. May as well make sure it's in a safe location with measured doses and is treated as a clinical problem (to, as I said, demystify the experience so heroin chic goes away and it because a health issue instead of a fashion one).

If they want treatment or would benefit from it, then give them treatment.

Also, allow the medical community to experiment with ibogaine.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No, in places where heroin addiction is treated as a disease and addicts can safely inject in clinical, sterilized locations.
    San Fransisco is starting these soon, I think

and I am like 90% sure Vancouver has some

I think that some other European country does as well

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They're going to do heroin anyway. May as well make sure it's in a safe location with measured doses and is treated as a clinical problem (to, as I said, demystify the experience so heroin chic goes away and it because a health issue instead of a fashion one).

If they want treatment or would benefit from it, then give them treatment.
    ah, since they were in a clinical setting i assumed they were in treatment

i'm down with that

go go gadget harm reduction

Also, allow the medical community to experiment with ibogaine.

This is the part where I post a flippant image poking fun at you rather than dignify this with a response, right?

do whatever is easiest for you, your opinion will be inevitably meritless and i'd hate to see you go to a whole lot of work for nothing

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Taking heroin off the streets seems to be making a difference. Researchers injected heroin in a safe, stable environment at medically supervised clinics. They crucially paired that with intensive counseling and addiction treatment.

The researchers reported that benefits were evident just six weeks into treatment among users who had failed at other kinds of treatment.

One of those participants was "Sarah," who said that after coping with her addiction for more than 20 years, she lost hope that anything would work.

Sarah described how the program had an almost immediate affect on her life. She said she was able to keep a schedule, stop buying drugs on the street and gain an appreciation of what her life could be like if she wasn't so consumed by getting high.

"You'll always be an addict basically; it's about managing it and leading a positive life" said Sarah, adding, "It quickly became, well, I actually do want to stop. I don't really want to have to stick needles in me all my life."

Her biggest fear now is that the program will be cut or shut down if the government deems it too controversial.

Another patient, who asked to be identified as "Emma," said, "The morality of it was taken out of the question. I wasn't being condemned for it and at last I could start taking responsibility in a rational way."

Emma described being chaotic, confused, emaciated and always dreaming about her next fix. By contrast, she said, the program made her feel cared for, supported and, above all, confident that she could kick the heroin habit.

"This thing that was the meaning of your life is becoming the thing that is getting in the way of your life and it becomes very unattractive," she said.

Strang said the stubborn nature of heroin addiction is proof that getting addicts into treatment is really a shallow achievement, because many will eventually turn to drugs again. He believes this promising approach could change the way hard-to-treat addicts are treated and convince the government that the initial high cost offers good value.

"From the cost point of view, if you actually look at the bigger picture, cheap treatment isn't always good treatment. If cheap treatment doesn't deliver any benefit then it's particularity bad value," Strang said.

The reduction in crime found by the study mirrors results in a handful of studies in other countries.
    advertisement

The treatment is relatively expensive, about $22,000 per patient, per year. But in Britain many are coming to terms with the fact that keeping a person in prison can cost three times that.
    link

TL DR on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

yeah vancouver has a few safe injection sites. my dad worked with the ex-mayor to get them up and running, actually. they're still looked at as something of an experiment, though.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "You'll always be an addict basically; it's about managing it and leading a positive life"

this is true of every addict
    Strang said the stubborn nature of heroin addiction is proof that getting addicts into treatment is really a shallow achievement, because many will eventually turn to drugs again.

people with severe addictions that aren't committed to sobriety will eventually relapse?

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhocking

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "You'll always be an addict basically; it's about managing it and leading a positive life"

Strang said the stubborn nature of heroin addiction is proof that getting addicts into treatment is really a shallow achievement, because many will eventually turn to drugs again.

people with severe addictions that aren't committed to sobriety will eventually relapse?

Dr.Drew all up in here

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Quitting heroin is pretty hard, brosef.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »

But if you're not totally 100% committed you will relapse.

It's a fact

• Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

they have/had those here

I think they brought more dealers to the area where they were located

and apparently a lot of users where turned off them because they could get counselling and treatment there which made them feel uncomfortable

I should look up what happened to those safe injecting centers

Oden on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    but what if they set up those clinics and then just arrest the people who go there?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »

really

i'm not in recovery and i haven't done opiates in the past and i don't know a bunch of opiate addicts and i haven't heard them talk about their experiences and i don't go to NA meetings weekly or anything like that

i didn't know that quitting heroin was hard

thanks for letting me know, goatmon

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah the vancouver ones are called InSite aren't they?

My mom is a medical ethicist and she had to call out one of her bosses for not approving of it because political reasons

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    but what if they set up those clinics and then just arrest the people who go there?

Then a bunch of money will be wasted for no convictions? It isn't illegal to be an addict, and in most places there are protections for addicts who are seeking treatment (i.e. your boss can't fire you for using company health insurance to treat an alcohol addiction).

TL DR on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    InSite and NAOMI are the two major opiate treatment programs that vancouver has been experimenting with, and my dad has been instrumental in both of them.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    he shoots a bunch of dope?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    InSite and NAOMI are the two major opiate treatment programs that vancouver has been experimenting with, and my dad has been instrumental in both of them.

Your dad sounds like a cool fella. Is that Mos Def in your avatar? You're a cool fella.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quitting heroin is easy (I do it several times a day).

Seriously on
This discussion has been closed.