As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MiniPhalla] Antarctic Research Station - GAME OVER - FLAWLESS MAFIA VICTORY

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suppose he could have a few extra heat packs laying around. Or something along those lines. There really isn't anyway to confirm he has them without knowing who the hypothermia is targeting.

Were you not here the last few pages? It seems to be related to posting activity. Those that died from hypothermia last night posted three times or less.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I say lets just keep him around for now.

He may be the only source of heat packs.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »
    He may be the only source of heat packs.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suppose he could have a few extra heat packs laying around. Or something along those lines. There really isn't anyway to confirm he has them without knowing who the hypothermia is targeting.

Were you not here the last few pages? It seems to be related to posting activity. Those that died from hypothermia last night posted three times or less.

That's a theory(I like that theory), but it's only a theory.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's a theory(I like that theory), but it's only a theory.

Its a great theory and one I thought if as soon as the results went up, except I had no idea it was related to post count, only activity level (which.... I guess are the same thing, just different in this brain of mine somehow).

The only thing is, if this is true then the janitor's role would really be to give a heatpack(s) out to almost inactive players, which in other games is kind of a mafia protection assuming they try and hide in inactivity.

Anyway, if there's a game mechanic to do with posting activity, surely this would bring up the ahava-saga page 12 or 13 or whatever. She was shanked. For highest activity? Someone run the numbers. I don't really like that idea though.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My votes staying right now. I'm not likely to be on the winning side of this bandwagon, but I'm sticking to my gut.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, but Janitor? Why the fuck would there be a janitor in a research station. Shouldn't everyone be like taking turns with bathroom duty?

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find myself having to issue a retraction to one of the previous clarifications. Unfortunate.

7) Are there event triggers?

Technically, yes, but there's only a couple and they're relatively minor in the grand scale of things.

There's no event trigger that will cause the research station to be launched into outer space, for example.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can't really think of what triggers would be in play, maybe it has something to do with who Gumpy died as last night.

Maybe there is some kind of promotion mech. in place.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Why was there an edit on the OP an hour after vote close taking out the Things Man Was Not Meant To Know bit?

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Day two deaths.
    5) Dogbone33 - Researcher
    12) Gumpy - Edward Ashford, Head Researcher
    16) Kistra - Researcher
    18) lonelyahava - Researcher
    22) Robos A Go Go - Researcher
    23) simonwolf - Researcher
    26)Zandracon - Researcher

Everyone playing with less than 10 posts. Dead or alive.
    psolms 8
    simonwolf 7
    Kistra 7

Darian 6
    garroad_ran 6
    Ebfan 5

Robos A Go Go 4
    Gumpy 4
    Zandracon 3

Ahava Zandracon and dogbone can be ignored since they all died by violent means so lets look at the rest of the deaths. And those with low activity who didn't die. I doubled checked and Psolms should have had less posts than simonwolf at vote close as well.

If hypothermia is related to activity, why would simonwolf and Kistra die when psolms, Darian, garroad_ran, and Ebfan survived? Either the hypothermia is a targeted player action or those four had some sort of protection against the cold.

Sunkist I have a PHD ergo I am above toilet cleaning. You have fun though. :P

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    uean wrote: »
    Why was there an edit on the OP an hour after vote close taking out the Things Man Was Not Meant To Know bit?
    You're drunk.
    That line's always been in the role PM.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Day one deaths.
    5) Dogbone33 - Researcher
    12) Gumpy - Edward Ashford, Head Researcher
    16) Kistra - Researcher
    18) lonelyahava - Researcher
    22) Robos A Go Go - Researcher
    23) simonwolf - Researcher
    26)Zandracon - Researcher

Everyone playing with less than 10 posts. Dead or alive.
    psolms 8
    simonwolf 7
    Kistra 7

Darian 6
    garroad_ran 6
    Ebfan 5

Robos A Go Go 4
    Gumpy 4
    Zandracon 3

Ahava Zandracon and dogbone can be ignored since they all died by violent means so lets look at the rest of the deaths. And those with low activity who didn't die. I doubled checked and Psolms should have had less posts than simonwolf at vote close as well.

If hypothermia is related to activity, why would simonwolf and Kistra die when psolms, Darian, garroad_ran, and Ebfan survived? Either the hypothermia is a targeted player action or those four had some sort of protection against the cold.

Sunkist I have a PHD ergo I am above toilet cleaning. You have fun though. :P

There's also the 5 mini-alien thingies gone missing and 4 hypothermia deaths, plus the possiblitiy of a heatpack toting janitor out there.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    uean wrote: »
    You're drunk.
    That line's always been in the role PM.

Really?

Yes. Really. Which is also in the OP. Which makes me... suck.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    There's no event trigger that will cause the research station to be launched into outer space, for example.

Awwwwwwwwwww.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fatal3RR0R needs to stop making useless posts

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Is tossing out votes to gauge a reaction really all that different than fake calling a kill to gauge a reaction.

:P

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    dunedainjedi: Were you counting total thread or from the start of Day 1 to Vote Close Day 2?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It would be good game theory to keep Kulhm around.

Any way for you to confirm yourself? Do heat pack recipients get a message or something?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Kuhlmeye, that was a pretty lame reveal. More info, or I'm assuming it's a cover role / lie.

If you really have heat packs, state what they do.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Is tossing out votes to gauge a reaction really all that different than fake calling a kill to gauge a reaction.

I'm not gauging a reaction. If there are hidden activity requirements, then the mafia is going to want to make posts to keep them from being affected by it. They may not have time to make their posts say anything of substance all the time, so for now, my biggest suspects are people that make useless comments to +1 their post count.

The same way I don't like when people go:
    "Well at least we got a mafia last night, YAY village" right after narration.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm not gauging a reaction. If there are hidden activity requirements, then the mafia is going to want to make posts to keep them from being affected by it. They may not have time to make their posts say anything of substance all the time, so for now, my biggest suspects are people that make useless comments to +1 their post count.

I dunno. this kind of implicates half of the players in all phallas evar. if we can confirm the mechanic though...

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You're assuming the non-vets DO know any better.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I think if I was mafia, I wouldn't be so blatantly obvious.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    dunedainjedi: Were you counting total thread or from the start of Day 1 to Vote Close Day 2?

Those are the thread totals.

But for argument's sake Simonwolf and garroad ran both had three posts during day one. Kistra and Darian and Ebfan all had four. I'd check everyone but 55 seconds makes it a pain in the ass. Psolms might be off the hook. Maybe.

Sunkist if there are hidden activity requirements then certain people(like the two I just mentioned) have a passive defense against it.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm really not sure where my vote should be going today.

Hey, B:L, now that your never evil streak is over, are you going for an always evil streak instead?

And kuhlmeye, did you pass out a heat pack to anyone last night?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But for argument's sake Simonwolf and garroad ran both had three posts during day one. Kistra and Darian and Ebfan all had four. I'd check everyone but 55 seconds makes it a pain in the ass. Psolms might be off the hook. Maybe.

Sunkist if there are hidden activity requirements then certain people(like the two I just mentioned) have a passive defense against it.

right click -> new tab?

(just trying to be helpful)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Hey, B:L, now that your never evil streak is over, are you going for an always evil streak instead?

There's built-in exceptions for rigged games.

• Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

If there are deaths that happen based on activity, I doubt it's a simple "Everyone with less than X posts dies unless they have protection." I'm guessing maybe the mafia has an ability to kill extra people if they are below a certain activity level, or a certain number of inactives are randomly killed. There are a lot of possibilities, but I don't think inactives who didn't die necessarily have some sort of defense against it.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

If there are deaths that happen based on activity, I doubt it's a simple "Everyone with less than X posts dies unless they have protection." I'm guessing maybe the mafia has an ability to kill extra people if they are below a certain activity level, or a certain number of inactives are randomly killed. There are a lot of possibilities, but I don't think inactives who didn't die necessarily have some sort of defense against it.

This could all help to explain the public vote on sat/sun combination due to activity levels on the weekend btw....

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We might as well give kuhlmeye a chance to clean our pipes or whatever else the janitor does. So, Arivia.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

Or the kills could have not been activity based and the mafia just went after the bottom of the list to make it appear that way. My point is that the more we look at the numbers, the more we have to jump through hoops to make the theory plausible.

At this point the simplest explanation is the mafia has a cold based attack, that will lose it's effectiveness as heat packs are found/distributed and there is a serial killer stabbing people.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At this point the simplest explanation is the mafia has a cold based attack, that will lose it's effectiveness as heat packs are found/distributed and there is a serial killer stabbing people.

I dunno, four is a shit-ton of kills for a game this size.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I dunno, four is a shit-ton of kills for a game this size.
    the mafia has a cold based attack, that will lose it's effectiveness as heat packs are found/distributed

It's still simpler than the mafia gets to kill people based on activity.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a cold and bitter heart. This gives me innate ice resistance.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    apparently there is a bandwagon on me

i have read the thread and the grand total of reasons seems to be garroad_ran pushing something and B:L thinking a joke vote for myself was silly.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so here's the situation as i see it.
    THE OP wrote:
    IMPORTANT NOTE: All posts/votes made after vote close and before narration is posted will be ignored.

i was confused by this, but if the hypothermia is an activity based attack, this line suddenly makes things very clear. your activity during the day is all that counts.

with that in mind, i went back and did some manual counting. ignoring everything that happened before the narration or after 'vote closed', and combined with the list of <10 posts jedi provided, heres what i see:

psolms 8 - 4 posts during day 1
    simonwolf 7 - 3 posts during day 1
    Kistra 7 - 3 posts during day 1
    Darian 6 - 4 posts during day 1
    garroad_ran 6 - 3 posts during day 1
    Ebfan 5 - 4 posts during day 1
    Robos A Go Go 4 - 2 posts during day 1
    Gumpy 4 - 3 posts during day 1
    Zandracon 3 - killed by vote

it seems that it took the lowest 2 post totals and killed everyone with them (2 and 3). if robos a go go had posted just one more time, i think myself, along with the other 4 post posters would have been killed too.

there is only 1 person who had 3 posts during day 1 and lived. garrod_ran, what do you have to say for yourself?

psolms on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well. that is compelling logic. and there's stats.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thank you for running the numbers again. And I'm willing to test that. garrod_ran

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Psolm's numbers should be more accurate than mine, since I ignored narrations and went by the current topic. If he's right, that has to be an absolute bitch for spectrum to keep track of.

dunedainjedi on
This discussion has been closed.