As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Machinarium, a new point and click adventure [Out Oct 16]

AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
On Steam! Demo too.

Download: PC Demo Mac Demo

machinarium1.jpg

New point&click adventure coming out October 16 from the creators of the incomparable Samorost 1&2. You can pre-order it from the official site, or it's coming to steam and direct2drive. $20. I think the game speaks for itself:
machinarium_04_bigger.jpg

machinarium_predhernou.jpg

machinarium_vytah.jpg
(Go to youtube to see this video in much higher resolution)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZBdWRSBRs

Agentflit on

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, this is out very soon and RPS just posted a really great write up.

mac6.jpg

It's unfortunate that I won't be able to play it until Tuesday!

Agentflit on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Demo is fantastic, I loved the Samorost flash games.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just finished it and first off let me make sure that i think its a great game that anyone who likes adventure games should try.

i do have a few personal complaints though, first off i was left with the impression that this was relaxing like samorost. you know, deal with one screen and then be done with it, moving to the next, but really thats not the case here.
    its a full fledged adventure, with inventory and back and forth running, which makes me realize that i do feel this kind of gameplay is rather dated. teeediously running back and forth and back and forth looking for the right thing to click or to trigger, i really like myself some professor layton, where the tracking is rather streamlined while the puzzlesolving never becomes overly annoying as your progress doesnt get blocked.
    that being said, the hint system was brilliantly done and is really the reason i had a fun time anyway, because it fixed things like "oh theres a plumber tool on the ceiling..."

either way, the game has amazing visual design and an absolutely fantastic soundtrack so its all well worth the package and another shining example of how independant games can provide all the things silly multimillion dollar publishers have forgotten about.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Actually I was worried and that makes me feel much better about it, with the going back and forth. I loved Samorost but with each screen just being an individual hurdle and no real inventory, it's over too fast. Just click everything on the screen and eventually you'll get through. I prefer having to remember what I've seen before and navigate through different areas.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah theres definately a lot of exploration involved after the first few areas, lots of areas to make sense of and backtrack to with new items, if youve ever played a normal adventure game youll feel very welcome here.

edit: also did i mention how great the soundtrack is? almost worth the money by itself: http://machinarium.net/blog/2009/09/29/machinarium-soundtrack-preview/

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man oh man, gotta pick this sucker up

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Would have been nice if they made it a little more explicit that you only get the OST if you order it off the website, given the music is a large part of why I bought it.

On the other hand, with their servers borked, at least I got the game on time through Steam. Still frustrating. They say they'll release the OST separately, but with their site difficulties I'm not sure when that'll be...

It's weird, in some ways I hate the game. :P I can't stand 90% or higher of regular point'n'clicks; too smart-assed for their own good, stupidly obtuse, far too much emphasis on tired, lazy humour... and I've already been lunging for the hint system here more times than I like to think about.

At the same time, my God it's just so, so, so gorgeous, visually and aurally. It says a lot for how good it looks that Uncharted 2 hasn't been able to completely wipe it from my mind. For the most part I really don't regret paying for the game even if I never finish it - I just think anyone who comes up with something this beautiful deserves to be rewarded. :mrgreen:

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a quick key to unequip items? I kinda hate having to drag it to the top and fight with the inventory just so it shows up.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nope. It's a Flash game - I did read someone on another forum insisting it's possible for programmers to disable the right-click menu in Flash, but if it is (I wouldn't know) the creators certainly haven't done it.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just finished this. Really a great game, but it feels kind of sad to play it. There are a few bright spots in the world but even those are pretty dingy.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    definitely gonna be picking this up along with the free soundtrack, but i am so *so* bad at point-and-click adventures. just dont have the patience/right thought process i guess

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, I've found it far simpler than most point and click games thus far, primarily because there are very few clickable items in the environment, and you always know they correlate in some fashion. Plus, the hint system is rather nifty (and very well presented), so I'd give it a go, as everything else surrounding the game is phenomenal.

It's more complex than Samorost for sure, but it still amounts to adventure game-lite.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    On passing the section with the little cart that carries raspberries:
    How do you manage to make it tip over with the little yellow wedge? I tried a hundred times and it would just fly off screen. Then this one single time it actually tipped over and I was able to pull the wheels out. What did I do right? It seemed random.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    How do you manage to make it tip over with the little yellow wedge? I tried a hundred times and it would just fly off screen. Then this one single time it actually tipped over and I was able to pull the wheels out. What did I do right? It seemed random.

You can place it on either the left track or the right track. I think you had the wrong one.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

What he said, but also - not raspberries. :P

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Haha I know they're not but they do look like them.

Is it some sort of coal?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I promised my self no more game purchases, but this is up there with World of Goo in the 'have to buy' category. Thanks for reminding me it was out, just bought it.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man i have no idea what to do with this fucking umbrella lady

oh you can push the thing from the other side

jesus that is dumb

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Beat the game, really awesome all the way through except for some dumb "puzzle" puzzles. You know, the Professor Layton stuff that doesn't have as much to do with problem-solving skills as it does trial and error. But I used the built in hint system and it gave a nice guide (the puzzle that took me an hour or more is the stupid bead-sliding one near the end).

So anyway if someone needs help with anything, just ask, or check here.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gah! Okay, that's not really Amanita Design's fault per se... but still, fucking annoying. Seems saves from a flash game count as temporary files, and running CCleaner deletes them. D:

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, the sliding peg puzzle in the control room at the top of the tower is freaking killing me.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unless there's something I'm not getting, this nuts vs bolts match against the computer is almost ruining the game for me

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unless there's something I'm not getting, this nuts vs bolts match against the computer is almost ruining the game for me
    That part is so difficult I'm wondering if there's a way to "cheat" by getting the guy drunk or distracting him or some other puzzly thing.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it's not that difficult if you follow the hint pattern multiple times and set up an unblockable formation

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zsetrek wrote: »
    Man, the sliding peg puzzle in the control room at the top of the tower is freaking killing me.

okay yeah this is making me want to murder everyone

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I finally beat that fucking guy after a million tries, I'm up to the greenhouse now.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm assuming you're stuck on the top one?
    Move the chain of tan pegs so that they're fully in the bottom row, then create a train with the green and purple chains that runs around the top two gaps.

I think it was mainly the king's slobbering that made the puzzle so infuriating.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah that connect 5 guy is bullshit. I can only stalemate him, but the game still lets him laugh like I lost.
    Good thing my friend is letting me play his copy. From reviews I read at places like eurogamer, it's some of the puzzles like this that they count as a negative, and I can see why. I get that they're robots, so yeah, cold logic blah blah blah. I shouldn't have to use Joshua from Wargames to counter Connect 5 guy's perfection. All it will lead to is Global Thermo-Nuclear War being reduced to unwinnable tic tac toe.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I beat him twice. It really does work pretty well if you play in a checkerboard pattern, countering him when necessary (blocking off his 3-in-a-rows before they give him an automatic win). If you can make a lot of diagonal lines of 3 generally he won't be able to stop countering you, and then you fill in some of the empty spaces and quickly build some horizontal lines that let you win.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I broke my game :(

I accidentally used the megaphone where you place the crank to move the big clock in the plaza. It became a crank and he put it in there, so I lost the megaphone speaker.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I broke my game :(

I accidentally used the megaphone where you place the crank to move the big clock in the plaza. It became a crank and he put it in there, so I lost the megaphone speaker.

How do you do that? You only get the megaphone after you are able to turn the crank, and you can't take the crank back out.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yup. The crank was already inserted. The megaphone turned into a crank and he put it in again. The megaphone disappeared from my inventory.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Huh. Yeah, it's a bit buggy. I didn't have any problems like that, but general strange situations like suddenly not being able to stretch my body until I left the room and came back, or being stretched out and triggering an animation that shows me normal-sized.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm assuming you're stuck on the top one?
    Move the chain of tan pegs so that they're fully in the bottom row, then create a train with the green and purple chains that runs around the top two gaps.

I think it was mainly the king's slobbering that made the puzzle so infuriating.

i turned down the sound and used the walkthrough book to get the answer for the top one.

great ending though.

i have to say that the main failing of adventure/point and click puzzle games is a) ridiculous puzzles that make me want to punch myself in the throat and b) anti-climactic final confrontations that are no more or less significant than any other puzzle

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I really want to like this game, but it's already pissed me off a couple of times. I just rage quit with the guy shooting the pellet gun. I know what I"m supposed to do but can't figure how to accomplish it, partly because of the time constraints and everything I try he just shakes his head. Not being able to easily unselect objects is a real problem. I'm not very far in this game, and already the issue of timing has haunted my progress. Making your robot dude move at the right times is terribly clunky. If you don't have him at the standard height he crawls AND you can't fix that until he's done moving to the place you were trying to move him. Which meant I had to redo shit over and over again, even though I had a clear solution to the problem. That is just annoying. I'm really tired and cranky, but this is killing my enjoyment of the game. The art and music and concept is wonderful. The UI is absolute dog shit.

The worst part of this? I can't believe I paid money for a Flash-based game. Maybe I'm being unfair, but the UI has just got me so bent out of shape I can't be impartial about it.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Maybe.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    SlinkySlinky Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    For those who are having trouble with the tic tac toe guy: http://gomocup.wz.cz/gomoku/download.php

The top download link is a host that lets you play against a winning gomoku (connect 5) AI. In the app, you go first. Change the grid size to 10x10, switch machinarium to full screen, and you can transliterate moves back and forth and make the game play against an academic AI. Fun fact: the academic AI wins.

Slinky on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, this dropped to the fourth page? That's sad. I feel guilty because I wonder if some of my comments killed the excitement around this game, but that's terribly narcissistic. I was expecting a lot more love for this game around here. Or is it just so short that there's nothing to talk about?

El Guaco on
  • Options
    ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Man, I really want to like this game, but it's already pissed me off a couple of times. I just rage quit with the guy shooting the pellet gun. I know what I"m supposed to do but can't figure how to accomplish it, partly because of the time constraints and everything I try he just shakes his head. Not being able to easily unselect objects is a real problem. I'm not very far in this game, and already the issue of timing has haunted my progress. Making your robot dude move at the right times is terribly clunky. If you don't have him at the standard height he crawls AND you can't fix that until he's done moving to the place you were trying to move him. Which meant I had to redo shit over and over again, even though I had a clear solution to the problem. That is just annoying. I'm really tired and cranky, but this is killing my enjoyment of the game. The art and music and concept is wonderful. The UI is absolute dog shit.

The worst part of this? I can't believe I paid money for a Flash-based game. Maybe I'm being unfair, but the UI has just got me so bent out of shape I can't be impartial about it.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Maybe.

Yes, you are being a little unfair. :P

There is pretty much zero timing required.
    I agree about de-selecting objects but it's a very minor problem IMO. Walking when not at standard length is slow, but after a couple of times you learn to just make your guy normal length before moving.

ArjanN on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've found that your robot has either fully stretched or fully squashed stances, I don't have any trouble getting him back to his normal size so he walks normally.

Some parts I agree, like this one box with wheels you have to push. I pushed it by mistake the wrong way, so I was forced to push it back all the way, and then back to it's original position, veeeery slowly.

I do hate the not being able to deselect items quickly though, it's something they could have mapped to a key.

But as timings go, they aren't there. I think you're doing what I tried: Make him miss and shoot the lightbulb, right? I was convinced that was how you beat that part, but it was a lot simpler than that. It doesn't involve him shooting anything ;)

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How long is the game?

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258