As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running a Server: restrict access by hardware..?

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
Okay, here's the setup:

I'm going to be running a file-server, ideally with Windows Server 2003. I have users with laptops. I want to restrict access to only those laptops - that is, to restrict access not only by user-login (which will still be required), but by hardware.

Does hardware have a unique address code? I'm pretty sure IP address isn't what I'm after, since that changes depending on where you are / what network you're logging on to, right? I think it's MAC address I need. Can I restrict access by that?

Thanks for any help.

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, routers, at least, have the option to filter by MAC adress, so it must be doable.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can restrict by MAC address, just be aware that it's not the toughest thing in the world to spoof a MAC address.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool; glad that's pretty straight-forward. I think I can see the right spot in my router settings now that I know what to look for. I'm dealing with kids, so hopefully won't have to worry too much about spoofing. :P The user/login system will still be there anyway.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That will simply limit what MAC addresses can connect to the router, has nothing to do with who can connect to the server. And it is completely worthless if you are already using WPA based security on your wireless network.

travathian on