Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

English Anime Songs

CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Guys, I have sort of an odd request. What anime are there that have an English version of their theme? So far I've got Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Roroni Kenshin, and One Piece. I've tried looking for really popular stuff like Fist of the North Star and Doraemon, but haven't come up with anything. I'm looking for anime where the English song is extremely similar to the Japanese counterpart.

Thanks in advance.

CygnusZ on
·

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ranma 1/2?

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    ·
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yu yu hakusho

ops and eds

·
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Virtua Fighter OP

The ED also had an English counterpart.

Also, for One Piece, did you find the original dub of the first OP, or the YOHOHO BITE OF GUMGUM version?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    ·
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Andrew W K released a whole album of him redoing Gundamn songs.

scale3nk0.png
    ·
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Guys, I have sort of an odd request. What anime are there that have an English version of their theme? So far I've got Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Roroni Kenshin, and One Piece. I've tried looking for really popular stuff like Fist of the North Star and Doraemon, but haven't come up with anything. I'm looking for anime where the English song is extremely similar to the Japanese counterpart.

Thanks in advance.

Black Lagoon's OP is 100% Engrish, if that counts:

Higurashi also had an ED with English lyrics:

·
    edited October 2009
    Are you looking for OPs/EDs with both Japanese and English versions, or just any English OP?

Virtua Fighter had both (English dub was superior) and I'll look through my collection tonight to see if I can remember any more.

·
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Berserk had English opening and closing themes. Terrible ones.

·
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blue Gender had an English version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwoBQTc23o

·
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Serial Experiments Lain was only english. Incidentally the song is a different edit from the one used in the series.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    ·
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rie Fu - Life is like a boat (one of the Bleach ending credit songs)

I think it switches to Japanese halfway through.

banner_160x60_01.gif
    ·
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Technically Evangelion used Fly Me To the Moon as a theme.

Fiction words: 5,677 | Blog posts: 1 | Books read: 1 | Stories read: 23 | Poems read: 7
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
    ·
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Back in the mid-90s when Pioneer entered the US laserdisc market, they did English versions of the songs for their releases; a lot of them were instrumental of course...

So stuff like Tenchi Muyo, Moldiver, El Hazard, Armitage.

They did an eerie job of choosing English singers, by the way; you could swap between the Analog (Japanese) and digital (English) tracks on, say, the Tenchi ED Mid-song and you'd swear it was the same person.

Edit: and Mimi wo sumaseba gave us Ghibli's rendition of "Country Road", in Japanese, that should count for something. :)

Edit #2: the Cutey Honey OVAs had Japanese and English versions of the OP. I think the Japanese versions may only have been included on the original subtitled VHS releases and left off later releases though.

sig.gif
    ·
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Ouron High School Hostclub. The english dub features the Japanese songs Sakura Kiss and Shissou redone in english.

You can also find the character song Guilty Beauty Love ( for Tamaki ) as done in English by the voice actor for the dub ( Vic Mignogna ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntqC_LvkL8

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ·
  • MertzyMertzy Registered User
    edited October 2009
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    Very contextually good translation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrcUZaRNu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5FGsoEoNJA

And not so much (sorry, the actual version's not hosted, song's about a girl's heart)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Xe5ClWMjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiW8MZi8MbA

·
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Virtua Fighter OP

The ED also had an English counterpart.

Also, for One Piece, did you find the original dub of the first OP, or the YOHOHO BITE OF GUMGUM version?

Wow thats bad.

SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    ·
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Didn't Kiki's Delivery Service add a theme song in English?

Also, Samurai Champloo's theme song was rap. Not sure if the Japanese version had it too.

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    ·
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Wow thats bad.

Ok you asked for it

·
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drswords wrote: »
    Ouron High School Hostclub. The english dub features the Japanese songs Sakura Kiss and Shissou redone in english.

You can also find the character song Guilty Beauty Love ( for Tamaki ) as done in English by the voice actor for the dub ( Vic Mignogna ).

*snip*
    Holy shit, that's the first time I've heard that. That's pretty good.

·
    edited October 2009
    I can't believe you guys failed to mention

LODOSS

and

Fruits Basket
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXmnaDNp5Vk

Edit: Also, Spectrum reminded me of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N658A5K7pac

Edit2: Apparently, searching youtube under "top anime english dub openings" gives you a shit-ton of shitty list videos, but they're good as a reference point.

·
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    andrew wk constantly amazes me and this gundam stuff only proves he deserves more of my money

3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    ·
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) count? Man, I can sing that thing word for word to this day!

·
  • TaranisTaranis Every time I hear this groove, It makes me wanna move.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    / steam profile / mwo handle: calverin / 3ds: 1349-6311-4743 /
    nerosig_zps80ae1f48.png
    ·
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rental Magica not only had an English version to its opening theme, it used it every other episode on its initial Japanese run.

Of course, nothing could be as good, or as bad, as the Once Piece opening and it's never ending run on sentence.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
    ·
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions, it's a big help. If anybody knows any English versions of Japanese songs that Japanese elementary school students would know, that would also help a lot. Not only anime, but stuff stuff like sekai de hitotsu dake no hana, or anything SMAP/Arashi.

·
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009