Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] MoO 2: Update 1: Stepping Out into The Stars

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So that Spathi build I made in the second post? Amazing. I tried to role play Spathi as much as possible, was peaceful, got elected rather easily (I had, um, 88 of the 114 votes because that build breeds crazy fast). Ran away from all fights so never got Orion. Would be a boring LP as I never fought a war.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm among the turtlers here. Colonize like crazy, build a single fast strike fleet for early defense, then focus on
    research of planetary defenses so each world could weather a storm. Then space stations and forts. Intermix the odd weapon research to keep up with the neighbors.

Once I felt confident from a defensive footing I'd go all out on ship construction and overwhelm opponents one world at a time. Doom Stars. Om nom nom.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    telepathic boarding parties are hilarious.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be starting the playthrough here in about an hour and a half or so, so if you've got any last minute votes, start gettin' 'em in.

sig.png
  • aspaaspa Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I always go for Uncreative. It randomizes what techs you can get so every game will be different. Makes you think a lot about diplomacy, tech trading and espionage too.

edited October 2009
    Starting now. Going with 8 Players, Klackon Portrait, Red Flag, Pacifist Technologists.

sig.png
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn I want a good 4x for the iPhone.

I always went The Empire. Building big fleets and crushing races under
    foot. Well, Amazonian Empire anyway.:winky:

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited October 2009
    I need planet names, people!

sig.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Arcadia, of course!

UA1OmVB.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terra Wanga
    Wang Central
    PlanetWang:Torment
    Wangout 3

:D

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wangtopia
    Salsivan
    ReeeRreeReee
    Lapitania
    Bugaloo
    Hive Zero
    Overlord (spawn more)
    VictimRUs since your pacifist

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Geeanteeia

steam_sig.png
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A Katamari
    Zebes
    Sphincter
    (Even better if it's a brown dwarf star)

Also, there has to be a Doom Star called "A Moon".

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited October 2009
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I loved this game. I used to play on some gaming network back in the day... (Heat.com? Mplayer.com? can someone help me here?) Remember using an hourly fee, and then getting raped after the bill came in.

My favorite race was the Bulrathi. Ground combat was a dream.

Looking forward to this Let's play!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you happen to come across a desert planet with natives, I request it be named Arrakis.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesometopia
    World of Cheese
    Pleasure Planet

FYYss9j.png
    edited October 2009
    Good stuff. The first two systems I colonized I came up with names for on my own, and while I could have sworn you could change system names I can't seem to figure out how to do so now. It's kind of unfortunate because they're both very, very good systems that deserve better names than I slapped on 'em - we lucked out in that we got two nearby Terran worlds, one Rich, one Ultra-Rich.

sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't think there's any way to change a systems name once you reach it.
    At least, I never found a way when I was playing.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    edited October 2009
    Good stuff. The first two systems I colonized I came up with names for on my own, and while I could have sworn you could change system names I can't seem to figure out how to do so now. It's kind of unfortunate because they're both very, very good systems that deserve better names than I slapped on 'em - we lucked out in that we got two nearby Terran worlds, one Rich, one Ultra-Rich.

Here's hoping there isn't a wormhole leading from those planets to some assholes like the Bulrathi.

steam_sig.png
  • CorakCorak Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Name a planet Xeen!

I live!
    edited October 2009

Congrats, you win!

Spathiwa

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    Erotica LXIX
    Fixed :winky:

• DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One vote for "Potatoho"

Five points if you guess the reference.

edited October 2009
    There was a pretty bad storm here last night and the net went down. I'll be busy studying for (and taking) an exam until about 5, but I hope to get the update up this evening.

sig.png
    edited October 2009
    A preface: Fuck AT&T DSL. That is all.

Stepping Out Into the Stars

So, we've built our race - Pacifistic Technologist Space Ants, henceforth known as Arcadians. They're Democratic, Creative, and have a Rich Homeworld, but take penalties to production, ship defense and ground combat. They also have a penchant for the color red. We've even got a couple of ships to go plinking around with, as well as a colony ship to start up our interplanetary empire. (Err, democracy.) But before we go out into the Wild Black Yonder, we should probably take a look at our local neighborhood.
    Spoiler:

And that's it for this segment, which was about eighty turns long.

Next update will cover about half as many turns, but should be somewhat more eventful...
    Spoiler:

DUN-DUN-DUN-DRAMATIC REVERB

Also - how did you guys like the format? Too many screenshots? Not enough? Too much content for a single post? This is my first time making one of these, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

sig.png
    edited October 2009
    No, seriously, fuck AT&T DSL.

sig.png
    edited October 2009
    The format is great, there's a good number of screenshots, and the volume of content is fine. You're doing splendidly so far. :)

That being said, the only good news about the Silicoids is that everyone hates them. If you have to fight them, you probably won't be alone.

steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Computer cheats at diplomacy with other cpu races. Usually silicoid and darlocks do happen to be at war with a bunch of other races...but not always.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    Maybe a little long, but you had to do the info dump stuff so it makes sense that it would be.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't see any of the suggested names for systems. What is this, some kind of universe that has nothing to do with wangs?

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tolerant + pop growth using a Rich universe is fun. Don't have to invest any time/research/building into polution control and can colonize the all the toxic/radiated ultra rich planets. It can be a bit rough in the beginning till you have your farm planets and transports setup. But once you do its smooth sailing.

I also liked the Assault Shuttle and Ground Combat++ guys. Send boarding parties and capture everyones ships. If you do it right you can capture antaran ships midway through the game and reverse engineer all their sweet tech. Get telepathic if you want to control enemy ships instantly after boarding.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The sweetest thing about telepathic, other than mind control, is using captured star bases against the planet they orbit.

It does makes capturing Antarans easier, since you don't need to win the battle to capture the ship.

edited October 2009
    I didn't see any of the suggested names for systems. What is this, some kind of universe that has nothing to do with wangs?

I did the first (and second, though there's no further colonization) update before people submitted names. From here on out all planet names will be pulled from this thread, and the second I snag a good planet it'll be dubbed Wang.

sig.png
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited October 2009
    :^: Excellent LP.

Also, ultra-rich and rich worlds AND a megawealth leader? Sweet baby Jebus, that's fantastic luck. Offset slightly by being next door to Orion, but what are ya gonna do (fast-tech to death stars).

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Space Ants with a productivity hit in their stats. Something about that amuses me, even if it is easy to negate.

edited October 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    :^: Excellent LP.

Also, ultra-rich and rich worlds AND a megawealth leader? Sweet baby Jebus, that's fantastic luck. Offset slightly by being next door to Orion, but what are ya gonna do (fast-tech to death stars).

Hell, enough Graviton Beams and Interceptors will easily do the trick. (Gyro Destabilizers used to be the weapon of choice, but they were unfortunately nerfed in 1.3.) We should get Orion well within 300 turns, if I can expand enough to get my CP up and keep the fleet affordable.

sig.png