As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAOS] In the spring, in the time when kings go off to war (Audience participation!)

RendRend Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
PLAYERS AND NONPLAYERS READ THIS POST BEFORE THE REST OF THE THREAD
40k20Khorne2001.jpg

A reading from the book of Sigmar.

1 In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, Karl Franz sent his Heroes out with his men and the whole Imperial army. They battled the Greenskins and settled Troll Country. But Franz remained in The Empire.

2 One evening Franz got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, 3 and Franz sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "Isn't this Helen, the daughter of Porter and the wife of Sha'ria the Wood Elf?" 4 Then Franz sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her. (He felt she had sufficiently purified herself from her uncleanness.) Then she went back home. 5 The woman conceived and sent word to Franz, saying, "For Slaanesh, the Prince of Pain and Pleasure."

CURRENT MAP
chaos31.gif

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe. Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

Tzeentch
asplannedrd3.jpg

Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.

You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World. It will give priority to those who have not yet played the game, but if you have played, please feel free to sign up. I may purposefully include a veteran in the game to keep it moving more smoothly, for instance.

Please, sign up, announce interest, and declare which Ruinous Power you'd prefer to play.

[RULES]
[FAQ]

POWER SHEETS
Khorne
pic545594_md.jpg
Nurgle
pic545599_md.jpg
Tzeentch
pic545604_md.jpg
Slaanesh
pic545592_md.jpg
Errata: Dial advancement for two corruption, not one.

DIALS
pic544561_lg.jpg

Khorne: 9 clicks
Nurgle: 10 clicks
Tzeentch: 8 clicks
Slaanesh: 7 clicks

Rend on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD

-The Turn Phases-

The Old World Phase
    This phase is much like the crisis phase in BSG, the infection phase in Pandemic, or the "Bad Stuff" phase in any cooperative board game. Except this game isn't so much "cooperative" as it is "petty". Each turn, events will take place in the old world, and this is when they happen.

Every turn one old world card will be drawn, and its effects will be resolved. If there are any choices to be made, the power with the least threat will make those choices. (Threat is determined by who has advanced their victory dial the farthest)

Note: There are only 7 cards in the Old World deck. If the cards have been exhausted, the game ends at the end of the turn. If nobody has achieved a victory condition, the Old World has won- and all players lose.

The Draw Phase
    During this phase, each power draws 2 cards, except Tzeentch. Tzeentch draws his hand up to 5. Also, this is when each player refreshes their Power Points to however many applicable.

The Summoning Phase
    This phase always starts with Khorne, and goes:
    Khorne
    Nurgle
    Tzeentch
    Slaanesh

Starting with Khorne, each player may either summon 1 figure or play 1 chaos card. In order to do so, you spend Power Points. The cost for figures is the circled value on your power's card. Then there are also attack and defend stats, which will be explained in further detail in The Battle Phase.

Chaos Cards each have a cost directly following their name in your Google Doc. Additionally, if the cost of your card is followed by M, that means there is a magic symbol on it. If you play that card onto a region, that region gains 1 magic symbol.

Chaos cards are played directly onto one of the nine regions. Each region only has room for 2 cards, but they are cleared at the end phase after all effects are resolved.

If a player chooses neither to summon nor play a card, he passes and his power points go to 0. He may not play again this phase.
    Additionally, if a player reaches 0 power points for ANY REASON, they may not play again this phase, EVEN IF THAT PLAYER HAS 0-cost cards or effects. Once you reach 0 power points, you are out of the turn phase, and are skipped until the next turn.

If you have no figures on the board, figures may be summoned to any region. If you have at least one figure on the board, you must summon to that region or an adjacent region. Figures may be summoned either from your reinforcements, OR from the board itself. There is no discount for summoning figures from the board, it simply allows you to move figures instead of summoning new ones if you wish. You may summon a figure from a region in order to place him in an adjacent region even if none of your other figures are adjacent to that region (ie, a single figure can "walk" across the entire map alone).

The Battle Phase
    In this phase, dice are rolled. All combat is considered simultaneous, however, hits are chosen in the Order of Play (Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh). Each figure with at least 1 attack power rolls a number of dice equal to that attack power. Any dice of 4 or better are hits. The player then designates those hits among any enemy figures in the region.

You may not allocate more hits than necessary to kill an opponent.
    You must allocate all hits.

Any figures which are killed will die at the end of the phase. However, unless the hits which killed it happened before normal dice are rolled, they may still return fire.

The Corruption Phase
    The Corruption Phase takes place in 2 steps. Domination, and Ruination

In the Domination step, each player's domination value is calculated for each region. This value is equal to the PP cost of any chaos cards that player has played on the region, plus the number of figures (number, not attack power) that player has in the region. If this number exceeds the region's resistance (which is the number by the region's name), and that player has the highest domination score, that player dominates the region and gains Victory Points equal to the region's number.
    If two players are tied for first, or if the top player is tied with the region's resistance, no VPs are awarded. Additionally, no VPs are awarded for ruined regions.

In the Ruination step, each cultist a player has in a region adds one Corruption Counter to that region. If a region should reach 12 or more corruption counters, it then becomes ruined.
    When a region becomes ruined, it indicates that the Chaos has taken it over so completely that it is no longer even recognizable. It is now a hellish, daemonic wasteland. First, one of the 5 ruination cards is flipped (the cards go in order, so the values are the same from game to game). Each player who put a corruption counter on the region THE TURN IT WAS RUINED gains a small amount of VPs instantaneously, decided by the card. Then, the player with the most and the second most Corruption in the area gain a large lump sum of VPs as well. After the region is ruined, NO VPs will EVER come of the region again.
    If two players are tied for first, they add the first and second place values together and split them. If two players are tied for second, they split second place. If there is no second place, and only one player has counters, the second place VPs are wasted.

If, at the end of the turn, all 5 Ruination cards have been flipped, the game ends and the player with the most VPs wins the game.

The End Phase
    During the end phase:
    1. Hero Tokens are resolved - meaning that in any region with a hero token, the daemon with the highest threat in that region must sacrifice one figure, as the hero kills it.
    2. Resolve Old World cards - If a card on the Old World track asks for a resolution during the end phase, this is when it happens.
    3. Score Ruined Regions - this is the step when ruination is scored, as opposed to the corruption phase.
    4. Advance Threat Dials - If you have fulfilled your victory dial condition at least once, you turn your dial one click. If you have fulfilled your condition more times this turn than any other player, you turn your dial two clicks. This dial gives various rewards, including Upgrades, VPs, and control of the tokens on the board.
    5. Check for Game end
    The game end conditions are checked one at a time, in this order:

Dial Victory
    Victory Point Victory
    All 5 ruination cards drawn (most VPs wins)
    No cards in the Old World deck (All players lose)

In the case of a dial victory tie, the player with most VPs wins. If they are tied, the victory is shared.
    In the case of a VP victory tie, the player with the highest threat wins.

How do I gain victory points?
    Gain victory points in 4 ways:
    1. Dominating regions at the end of the battle phase
    2. Helping to ruin regions by placing corruption counters on them
    3. Ruining regions and having most or second most counters on the region
    4. Sometimes, by advancing your victory dial

The most reliable points come from Domination, while the quickest points come from ruining regions.

How do I advance my dial?
    KHORNE: Gain 1 advancement token for each region in which you kill an opposing player's model this turn
    NURGLE: Gain 1 advancement token for each populous region in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn
    TZEENTCH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with 2 or more magic and/or warpstone tokens in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.
    SLAANESH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with at least 1 hero or noble in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.

Every player with at least 1 token gains 1 click on the victory dial. Each turn the player who gained the most tokens this turn gains an additional click on the victory dial. In the case of a tie, neither player gets 2 clicks.

How do I...
    Questions answered.

Rend on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tzeentch! ideally, but I'll do whatever.
    2/3/4 Slaanesh/Nurgle/Khorne

I just bought this and have played in two games, plus observed / "GM'd" one for friends when we had 5.

I'm betting you'll get a big response here, people have been asking about the possibility of this in the BG thread for weeks.

edit: We had a mis-hear in our first game of "Great Unclean One" as "Greater Cleveland". It pretty much works, and we are, henceforth, rolling with it.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm betting you'll get a big response here, people have been asking about the possibility of this in the BG thread for weeks.

I think so too- honestly I was hoping to get it up sooner but RL ambushed me and dealt critical damage.

Rend on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

edit: Found it on FFG. And the FAQ

STANDARD REGION ORDER
    1. Norsca
    2. Troll Country
    3. Kislev
    4. The Empire
    5. Bretonnia
    6. Estalia
    7. Tilea
    8. The Border Princes
    9. The Badlands

Player mats:
    Khorne
    pic545594_md.jpg
    Nurgle
    pic545599_md.jpg
    Tzeentch
    pic545604_md.jpg
    Slaanesh
    pic545592_md.jpg
    Errata: Dial advancement for two corruption, not one.

Since most of us are new, it's probably a good idea to look at the dial advancement bonuses, as well:
    pic544561_lg.jpg
    Khorne: 9 clicks
    Nurgle: 10 clicks
    Tzeentch: 8 clicks
    Slaanesh: 7 clicks

Plus a list of everyone's upgrades:
    Khorne Upgrades:
    Upgrades:
    Power of Blood - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Ferocity - Draw 3 cards instead of 2 each turn
    Bloodsworn - Stats: (1/1/1)
    Bloodletters - Bloodletters strike first and inflict casualties before opponents return fire
    Bloodthirster - Counts as 3 figures for domination value

Nurgle Upgrades:
    Power of Pestilence - +1 PP per turn
    Provender of Ruin - Score 3 VP each time a region is ruined
    Lepers - A Leper's cost is 0 if placed in a region where you have no other figures. A given leper may only be summoned for free once per round.
    Plaguebearers - When an opponent kills one of your plaguebearers in battle, inflict one hit on any figure in the same region belonging to that opponent
    Great Unclean One - Immediately place two corruption tokens in a region when you summon a Great Unclean One there

Tzeentch Upgrades:
    Power of Magic - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Magic - Draw to 6 cards per turn instead of 5
    Acolytes - When summoned from the board instead of your stockpile, an Acolyte may bring a Warpstone token if present from its origin to its destination
    Horrors - When you summon a horror, you may place it on an empty card slot in that region. Only you may play cards to that slot while the horror remains.
    Lord of Change - A Lord of Change has 2 magic symbols.

Slaanesh Upgrades:
    Power of Pain - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Power of Pleasure - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Seductress - New stats (1/0/2)
    Daemonettes - In battle, Daemonettes can only be hit on a die result of 6
    Keeper of Secrets - At the beginning of the battle phase, choose any cultist or warrior in this region. Control it until the end of the round or until your keeper of secrets is killed, whichever comes first.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hey guys, helpful IC tidbit here.

Roll Xd6.hitsopen(4,6). It'll reroll 6s and then count all the dice 4 and above and give you a convenient number of hits.

Darian on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SO, I have played this, but only once and there's no-one around here I can tell anything about any of the gods without getting funny looks.
    Definitely want in.
    Tzeentch for preference, Khorne next followed by Slaanesh.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darian wrote: »

Thats what I get for not doing up the whole OP first thing. They'll get edited in momentarily.

Rend on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you want Post #2 as well?

e~ It's happening.

e~ It happened.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shouldn't be a big deal, but you can give it up if you wanna :p

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Darian on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll Tzeentch all over your face.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So down if there is room.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys don't forget to specify your favorite/preferred/random ruinous power.

Rend on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never played this before but you know what

I love !nurgle

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I live for pain and pleasure.
    :winky:

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I can !get in on this shit, I would like to play Nurgle or Tzeentch but am willing to use any of the Ruinous Powers.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AstargothAstargoth regular
    edited October 2009
    Newbie here signing up.
    Want to serve the one known as Slaneesh

Astargoth on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never played, yet my hard on for Warhammer is mighty.

I'll !Sign up

Preference: Papa Nurgle ain't gettin' nearly enough love

Tzeentch is sweet too.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Siggity-Sign for Tzeentch > Slaanesh > Khorne > Nurgle

Delmain on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    whawhawhaaaaaaaaaat?

Ruinous power is ruinous power. No preference for meeeeeee.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nurgle Gurgle Gurgle

Have never played, but I did see a copy at the LGS.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy shit. How hard is this game to play? !signup

I need to represent Grandfather Nurgle.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Would be up for this as Tzeentch if there's room, but I've played a few times now
    How are we handling the mechanics? OP handles all die rolls and chaos cards?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah. Basically, I will update the game to the summoning phase, then everyone takes their turns. Then I update the game to the summoning phase again, except for any choices made by the power with lowest threat

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Or highest with heroes, obv.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Probably too late, but !signup

Preference order: Nurgle, Slannesh, Tzeentch, Khorne. I have not played before.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Beyond Khorne, if I have the good luck to be playing but not seated on the Skull Throne, give the other players their top choices and I'll take whoever. Since I haven't played before, it shouldn't make much difference.

Darian on
  • Options
    BandorrBandorr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Never played before, infact never heard of it until today.
    I'd like to play.

No real preference.
    Tzeentch because.. well i'd take great enjoyment in being kira. If not anything else is fine.
    Reading the rules now!

Bandorr on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Sign up

Never played before, as such I have no preference.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Sign up

I'd love to play some Papa Nurgle or Slaanesh.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Remember people

emot-zombie.gifPapa Nurgle loves youemot-zombie.gif

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Remember people
    emot-zombie.gifPapa Nurgle loves youemot-zombie.gif

nurgle_slann_1_20090302_1892644913.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sharp you are a bro.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sign up! I don't care what god I am, but, I guess Nurgle would be my preference.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright chaps, since I already have at least 3 times what i can handle, playerwise, I'mma cut the signups here.

I'll let you all know who the players will be soon.

Rend on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know what

I just got a hefty assignment in class today between when I said I WANNA DO THIS and when I realized how much fucking work this is going to be

I guess ignore Innsalt's signup :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think I'm backing out too. I just got into a BSG game here and I figure I should only be in one PA-based geekery at a time. I'll be watching with great interest, though.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whoever plays Tzeentch should basically be required to change their avatar and title combo to this:

emot-smug.gif
    Just as planned

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, should add I'll get online much as I can, but I do have a fairly busy life at present.
    Take that into account as you will.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess I'll just have to buy this game then. How sad...

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Confirmation PMs have been sent.

Rend on