As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New No. Carolina res. wants New Year's idea

OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I do not relish ringing in the New Year with my family. Back where I lived near New York City, there were clubs and stuff that were open to 18+ instead of 21+-- which is good for me, since I am 19.

I'm in North Carolina in the Triad, but can travel a decent distance if need be. I want to party hearty for the New Year and I want to know if that is an option.

Otherwise, what the fuck do people do down here for entertainment? Seriously!

Don't mind the incendiary tone kthx love ya

words
Oboro on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Near Chapel Hill? Go to Franklin Street. It's the main drag along the north edge of campus, plenty of bars and restaurants. It's where all the good riots are when Duke and UNC play.

There are plenty of bars and the like in Raleigh, too.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Near Chapel Hill? Go to Franklin Street. It's the main drag along the north edge of campus, plenty of bars and restaurants. It's where all the good riots are when Duke and UNC play.

There are plenty of bars and the like in Raleigh, too.
    Aren't bars sort of by-definition 21+, or are you just using the word for lack of another word?

Also I don't know what a Chapel Hill is but I assume it's close, it sounds pretty close. What is Chapel Hill? I don't know anything about a campus, or what a Duke and UNC are.

I am really totally new here.

Let me fire up Google Earth.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Duke is Duke. As in University. As in the Blue Devils, the most hated college basketball team in the country. UNC is the University of North Carolina, as in the Tarheels, as in Duke's major rival. Most bars in NC are all ages until 10pm, then they start checking ID. New Years though, chances are bars are going to have a fixed-price cover, that gets you a champagne toast etc at midnight along with random crap like hats and noisemakers.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Duke is Duke. As in University. As in the Blue Devils, the most hated college basketball team in the country. UNC is the University of North Carolina, as in the Tarheels, as in Duke's major rival. Most bars in NC are all ages until 10pm, then they start checking ID. New Years though, chances are bars are going to have a fixed-price cover, that gets you a champagne toast etc at midnight along with random crap like hats and noisemakers.
    Is this neighborhood you are suggesting I par-tay at a particularly liberal one?

Because I am a *pre-operative very noticeable and not a partciularly passable transsexual.

And this is North Carolina, and I am not sure if we are welcome everywhere here.

I don't want to not actually enter the new year.

EDIT:ed for clarity

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oboro wrote:
    Is this neighborhood you are suggesting I par-tay at a particularly liberal one?

Because I am a transsexual.

And this is North Carolina, and I am not sure if we are welcome everywhere here.

Near Chapel Hill? I dunno really... it's kind of a conservative southern area. I mean, if you know where to look there are always places, I just wouldn't know where in Chapel Hill to look.

Go to Charlotte though, which is about an hour+ away from the Triad, and you're golden. Very liberal-friendly. One of my wife's good friends is a male transvestite stripper, going to UNC-Charlotte.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oboro wrote:

Because I am a transsexual.

Near Chapel Hill? I dunno really... it's kind of a conservative southern area. I mean, if you know where to look there are always places, I just wouldn't know where in Chapel Hill to look.

Go to Charlotte though, which is about an hour+ away from the Triad, and you're golden. Very liberal-friendly. One of my wife's good friends is a male transvestite stripper, going to UNC-Charlotte.
    Alright, thanks, I'll make some calls and print out some directions. Thanks for the help!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Whiteboy SushiWhiteboy Sushi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Oboro, I wouldn't worry about Chapel Hill -- it's a college town, pretty liberal on the whole. At worst, you might run into some drunken frat assholes, but it's not exactly Deliverance down here.

Whiteboy Sushi on
  • Options
    xcrunner17xcrunner17 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I live in the triad too, born here though. The cities are all pretty liberal, though you will undoubtedly experiences our fair share of assholes. If you in winston, burke st. pizza is ridiculous amazing, it's on burke st. of all places and it's new york style through and through, it beats the ass off the yuppy ass mellow mushroom. There are parties and shit to find, look for the garage and the warehouse downtown they put on excellent music shows you would prolly like, a really famous film festival came to town a while back, river run i think, happens every year. The towns outside of the city centers can be pretty fucking, they are next to useless you can respect them in a tocqueville i love democratic mediocrity sort of way but you may be asking from trouble from the more barbaric fellows there. I've only really passed through charlotte before no idea what's to do down there. If your in winston there really isn't gonna any clubs on the whole that I know of that you would proly like, east side of winston has some but you may get the same response from the hood there as you would from the rednecks.

xcrunner17 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Awesome! Welcome to the area.

I live in Chapel Hill and I can say it's pretty liberal. Actually quite a few people I know call it the 'hole in the bible belt.' Anywho, the night life is pretty quiet when the students are out of town but there are a quite a few bars and restraunts ranging from casual to fancy ass.

It's not all W.A.S.P.s either. Some of the bars feature queer/transexual/cross dressing nights. I acutally went to 'go-go' dancer night at a place called 'the wetlands.' Yeah, that was an experience. UNC has a huge number of students so there's stores and business to cater to a wide variety of people. I not really into the night scene that much though, so I can't give too many specifics.

There's also a free magazine published in the Triangle called "The Independent." Not too long ago it published an issue that basically revolved around: "Hey, gays, lesbians, and transexuals! Don't be scared, the Triangle isn't full of rednecks!" and it had quite a few articles about night life and gay pride parades and the like. Anywho, welcome to the state. Enjoy the... tobacco... and hogs...

Casual Eddy on